Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere Mongols Tall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were Mongols Tall?
    Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 19:49
Were Mongols, and Turks tall? What about the modern Mongolians?
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 04:14
Medium height i think.

Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 04:17
i dont think they were tall.... probably average height. i think present day mongolians are pretty short like most oriental people.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 04:46
Some of them, perhaps-those who had Iranian ancestry...IMO
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 06:42
short and stocky, these are the descriptions for both Turks and Mongols of old times. Mongols and isolated Turks of today fit that description, look at the Yakut/Sakha thread.

Edited by Zagros
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 04:18
The diet and lifestyle of the Mongols was the same as the other steppe nomads so they would be similar in average height and build.

Once you discount the usual "stooped like beasts", "barely human" etc style comments always applied to "barbarian" invaders they don't seem to have been particuarly different.
rgds.

Tom..
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 12:11

yeah, that's it. Old excavations show that 'Peking Man' was of medium hight. It is even said that they were rather short. The Mongolian Skeletons found in North Eastern Russia and northern Mongolia are of average hight. What they say in old history books also confirms this fact.

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
SaikhaNBayar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 07:45
I`m Khalkh and live in Ulan-bator. I`m (between) 18-22 (secret?)years old and will still grow! my height is about 1m 80cm. I never heard people told me "you are tall"!
The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 07:49
Originally posted by SaikhaNBayar

I`m Khalkh and live in Ulan-bator. I`m (between) 18-22 (secret?)years old and will still grow! my height is about 1m 80cm. I never heard people told me "you are tall"!

Hey, i have a serious question.   Here in Canada, theres a chain of restaurants called the 'Mongoli Grill' ....... its a buffet of raw asian-type ingredients, you pile however much of whatever you like into a metal bowl, scoop on some sauce, and bring it to this guy who fries it all up for you on a giant piping-hot grill. Then they sprinkle sesame seeds on it.   The places are usually run by Koreans.

Is there anything remotely 'Mongolian'-sounding about this?

What do you normally eat there?

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Sino Defender View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 01:14

Originally posted by Bosniathebestcountry

i dont think they were tall.... probably average height. i think present day mongolians are pretty short like most oriental people.

Northern Chinese from the central plain are actually quite tall. The average height of north eastern China is taller than europeans i believe. i am an asian from hk (with shanghainese blood), and i am 6'1. it's definitely a stereotype that oriental people are short.

look at yao ming

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 09:37

You know Sino Defender, we're talking about the majority. Being a Turkmen who've been quite Asiatic, I'm 183 now... still have got place to grow. But I can't say Central Asians are tall. Mostly average. And you've got to define who is considered tall. Our people are almost around 180 (or at most 185). Any person with a height of more than this amount is called 'suri/uzin' which are informal equivalents for 'tall'.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 11:43

You have to also consider that the diet in the old days was different to that of today and diet makes a big difference.  If you want heights for medieval Mongols, then the best thing to do is look at the nomadic Mongols who still live the same style of life as the old days.

The Japanese have increased greatly in height over the last 50 years because of the change in their diet, the same with Chinese, moer people have access to good quality meat, instead of just rice and other low protein agricultural products.

My dad is only 165cm tall, but I am 193 - he had a much tougher life as a child than I did and was one of ten children who did not receive the best of everything in 1950s and 60s Iran, all of my other makle cousins are above 185cm.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by Zagros

My dad is only 165cm tall, but I am 193 - he had a much tougher life as a child than I did and was one of ten children who did not receive the best of everything in 1950s and 60s Iran, all of my other makle cousins are above 185cm.

The diet is definetely important.My father also lived tougher as a child then me.He's 175 cm tall-i'm 192, and my brother is 186.However, my ancestors from my mother's side were quite tall (especially considering the time period)-my grandfather was 187 and his father about 193.Interesting-their life conditions were also rather poor (ww1 and ww2 contribution should be also mentioned).However, they were from the mountainous regions close to montenegro where being tall or extremely tall wasn't anything unusual...

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:50

Our nickname is called "Uzunlar" wich means "the tallest" my father side are/where the tallest of their village, my dad whas the shortest of them, he's like 1.80cm im 1.82cm. I had an uncle, he whas above 2meters, his oldest son is 1.97cm and they are living in Turkey. 

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 02:18
I agree Zagros. But the thing is that, our people, from different social classes, with different diets and favors, would rarely grow up to 185. Now, forget about the radical Japanese who have affected even their potatos to be a better food. I've spent whole my life with different Turkic & Mongolian buddies; but have found most of them to have the normal height, I mean almost 180. Anyhow Zagros (be khodam daram migam):'giram pedare to ro fazel; az fazle pedar to ra che hasel?' Take care...
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 16:27

According to Carpini the mongols were of medium heigth. Considering that 13th century western europeans stood at an average of 165-170 cm tall I presume the mongols were of the same stature. Then Ruysbroeck writes at the same time that the chinese were shorter than the mongols

Considering the diet's effect on the heigth I wouldn't question it, but I would say genes have a bigger importance on your height. I'm short (172 cm) because many of my ancestors were short, despite all the modern vitamins and proteins I'm shorter than my dad and my father's father's father (born in 1881), who was 176 cm.

Edited by Mangudai
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 00:17
Chinggis Khan was described as being tall.
The Shanyue of the Xiongnu who confronted Gen.MengTien
of the Qin Dynasty was described as being tall.
The famous palaentologist Roy Chapman Andrews described
a Mongol close to 7 ft tall in his memoirs.

r's
Clive
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 02:09
Studying anthropology, it is said that Yellow Race are gerenrally considered average and rather short, anyhow. That's what you see when you're among these people.
Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 13:40
I am Mongolian and I am short, 170 cm, my two younger brothers are taller than me...maybe its the diet and maybe its the amount of exercise they do, but anywho...I think I am the height my ancestors would have been 

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 15:37
Originally posted by Sino Defender

Northern Chinese from the central plain are actually quite tall. The average height of north eastern China is taller than europeans i believe. i am an asian from hk (with shanghainese blood), and i am 6'1. it's definitely a stereotype that oriental people are short.

look at yao ming

My family are northern Chinese, the height of male members are like:my granddad was like 1.75m; my father is 1.75m, while my elder brother is 1.89m and im 1.76 as well; my uncle is 1.76, my cousin 1.85.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>