Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Justin I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justin I
    Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 19:35

In a recent post it was mentioned that Byzantine Emperor Justin I was really a puppet Emperor, an illeterate peasant whose rule was overshadowed by the workings of his brilliant nephew and heir Justinian.

What I am questioning, is whether such a view is correct. IIRC the claims that Justin was a mere puppet were put forward in Procopius's Secret History which clearly goes above and beyond to portray Justinian as the ultimate power obsessed megalomaniac (even going so far as to claim he is a demon from the underworld!)

It is clear that during Justin's reign the Empire suffered no disasters. Justin himself rose to power through the military. While Procopius may attribute this to divine intercession the logical historian can only conclude that for a poor Thracian peasant with no family contacts or wealth to back him, Justin must have shown himself to have outstanding command ability and been a natural leader of men to rise to captain of the Imperial Guard.

Furthermore, Procopius himself admits that Justinian's attempts to have himself crowned and married to his love Theodora were thwarted simply by Justin's order. Clearly, Justin had more authority and power than one would normally attribute to a dottery old fool. Only when Justin himself became gravely ill and the end was in sight was Justinian allowed to go ahead with both his wishes.

So what is your view? Was Justin the helpless puppet of his brilliant nephew or was he the sort of man who fitted comfortably into the autocratic robes of a Roman Emperor?

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 23:35

Originally posted by Constantine XI

So what is your view? Was Justin the helpless puppet of his brilliant nephew or was he the sort of man who fitted comfortably into the autocratic robes of a Roman Emperor?

From what I can remember reading, Justin I was indeed a strong emperor.  He was a perfect "rags-to-riches" story, rising up through the ranks of the army from the peasantry to become emperor.  Like you mentioned, I think it was only when he became old and his mind started to slip that he relinquished the government into Justinian's waiting hands.

Justin I can be considered one of the last real "soldier-emperors."  I can't remember if he actually campaigned in person while he was emperor, but he can be called this based on his background.  He was not as erudite as some of his successors, but he had toughness and street smarts based on his military career.

He seems to have some cunning and political savvy as well.  I can remember a story my undergraduate professor told about him (some of the details escape me at the moment):  he actually ascended the throne through some clever maneuvering and bribery involving some senators at Constantinople.  Does anyone interested in the early period recall the details of this story?

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 15:10
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I can remember a story my undergraduate professor told about him (some of the details escape me at the moment):  he actually ascended the throne through some clever maneuvering and bribery involving some senators at Constantinople.  Does anyone interested in the early period recall the details of this story?

If i remember right there was one imperial chamberlain named Amandios or sth like that, who had the ambition of being emperor himself but since he was an eunouch, he tried to put in the throne one of his own men, theocritos. So he gave money to Justin in order to bribe whoever was needed but unfortunately for him the recipiers of the bribes instead of supporting Theocritos, chose Justin as emperor. First thing Justin did after the start of his reign was to send to death Amandios and his men. 

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 16:23

According to several historians, Justin was a person who had no qualifications of being even the governor of a province, not to say of an Empire having the size of Byzantine empire. Surely he had knowledge of military matters but the fact he was uneducated was a determining factor.

Prokopius indeed seems to be rather harsh on him, portraying him as somekind of a fool occupying the emperors seat in the shadow of his nephew, but it seemed this to be also a widespread view and not without ground. Justinian's intellectual powers and political capacity obviously gave him from the beginning a preponderant influence over his old uncle and a general view of him as the directing power of the Empire.

Anyway, whether Justin's own initial thought or his nephew Justinian, the exhortation for restoration of ecclesiastical unity between the churches, accompanied by the restoration of the prestige of the Council of Chalcedon, and the persecution of the Monophysites, was absolutely great moves. However it is certain though, that the insurrections taking place during the reign of Justin both in Constantinople and the Eastern cities were suppressed fully by Justin's orders with the help of Theodotos Colocynthios (btw had anybody heard before that the translation of Colocynthios into greek is... pumpkin ) eventhough his measures contained lots of executions with many assasins and plunderers being hanged, burned, or beheaded. Generally there werent many events of huge importance during Justin's reign. Its chief significance was the new orientation of the imperial religious policy.

Edited by Perseas
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 20:59

I read about how Justin appropriated the bribery cash for himself, a great story. He still had the Thracian peasant cunning he developed in his youth.

One thing I like about Justin I is that he appears to have been a ruler who realised his limitations and let someone else do the job where he could not. Very few rulers in history, fully aware of their own incapability, ever acknowledge it by simply parcelling off these duties to an excellant subordinate.

Justin's reign was overall pretty peaceful. The other major unrest aside from the Monophysites was the revolt in Thrace of a certain Vitalian. In his case Justinian simply had the man murdered after inviting him to a peace making dinner.

I think that Justin knew he must have been resented as an illiterate peasant. While the Empire remained largely at peace during his reign, he did a responsibly job of choosing an extremely gifted successor and allowing that young man to play an important role in civil and political affairs. Justin clearly realised that Justinian was able to hold up the intellectual and cultural tradition on a level which he could not.

Post Reply Post Reply