Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American Funerals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Funerals
    Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:35

I read an interesting essay a while back, it was written in the 60s I believe. Basically it was a British lady who went to an American funeral and was absolutely shocked that we have open casket funerals.

I;m curious, are open casket funerals practiced in Europe like they are in America? Personally, i couldnt ever imagine a closed a closed casket funeral.

My grandfather said that when he was younger (he was born in 1923) people would go to the home to say their goodbyes and would even keep the body in the front room until the burial (which creeps me out).

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 19:16
My great-granfather was in the front-room of their home before the burial - that was a home velatory. I am European, btw.

Now everything is more regulated (and expensive).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 19:36
I'd say burn the body and scatter the ashes along the mississippi  or Hudson river.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 21:15

Even though I am young, I have already made my will in which I clearly state that after I die, I want my body to be cremated and my ashes scattered into the mighty St. Laurent River. I don't want no funeral, no exhibition, no burial, no nothing.

It's kind of ironic because I used to work at a funeral home when I was broke. Sometimes I was the only person there staying in the office until mid-night doing nothing (mostly I read), just waiting for people to call in case someone died. Was making some real good money for someone with little prior work experience because apparently it's a job that not many young people want to do. I am not religious, not superstitious, and not scared of dead bodies at all. Actually I was more scared of living people - the relatives of the deceased could sometimes be quite a handful to deal with.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 21:29
Some Dutchies do it apparently, i was never able to figure out if it was more likely to be a catholic thing or not though.
I've heard British expats express shock and revulsion (acompanied by the usual moronic brit-expat Dutch bashing *rolls eyes*) at hearing it was done in the Netherlands too.
Arrrgh!!"
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 02:20
hell, everyones gona start doing it.
With Walmart's current rate of expansion, there won't be enough land for cemeteries, that is, if they dont even build over the actual cemeteries.
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 16:09

some speculation:

it might come down to earlier tradition.  America was generally more rural then a place like britain, so the burials would have to be handled by the family.  There would be no local funeral service, likewise since they were rural the burial could very well occur in their backyard or local church.  This may make people more familiar with the bodies, as likely the family arranged the coffin and burial themselves.

Perhaps if other rural cultures share this then there might be a connection.

How did they bury bodies in the cities in the past?  Did they drive them out to country cemetaries?

Post Reply Post Reply