Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gordana Galic & Selma Kema

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gordana Galic & Selma Kema
    Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 17:58
GORDANA ANDJELIC GALIC

1949 - Born in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
1975 - Graduated from the Phylosophy Faculty in Sarajevo
1988 - Graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Sarajevo
1989 - Became a member of the Association of Fine Artists of Bosnia

Gordana is one of the most well-known contempory Bosnian Serb artists in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Her work has been featured throughout Europe and there are a few of her projects that I think are absolutely exceptional - so I'm going to share them here.

The first is called "The Whole City Graveyard". She toured major European cities are constructed make-shift graveyards in city parks, soccer stadiums, and all of the other places where Sarajevans were forced to bury their dead during the war. The objective is to give citizens of these other European cities some meager understanding of what that was like.

Here is one such tour in Munich, Germany.

Kunst Macht Frei

SEJLA KAMERIC

1976 - Born in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
1994/1997 - Worked as part of TRIO SARAJEVO
1999 - Graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Sarajevo

I like Sejla Kameric mainly for her sense of humor. Her work is always aimed at problems in society but she makes fun of them in a strange way.

My favorite example is the simple, but incredibly powerful display she made simply by re-arranging policial posters. She changed nothing about the posters, simply half-covered up one with another and created an entirely new message.

This was the billboard originally. The Croatian party poster on the left reads "Choice or extermination", the Bosniak poster on the right reads "Vote for your own people".

This one reads "Extermination or Extermination", and "Vote for your own people" - though the faces are covered, posing the question: Who's people are you anyway?

This one, as well, is very simple but very beautiful. She took down the "Closed for reconstruction" sign from the National Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina and put up instead a sign reading "Zauzeto", or occupied. Photographs placed in the windows showed artists busy working and it made the entire reconstruction process feel like a live exhibition in itself.

Lastly, one of her video works. This video stars Sejla herself in a public service announcement, which runs backwards - a symbol of Bosnia and Herzegovina, for a time, was running backwards.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply