Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

108 Heros from shui hu zhuan(Outlaws of the Marsh), Japanese oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 108 Heros from shui hu zhuan(Outlaws of the Marsh), Japanese oil
    Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 18:29
Xan at the China history forum is posting some really cool pictures of Chinese heroes...don't know exactly who they are...but just thought y'all would be interested...
Here's the link
http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1053&am p;st=0
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 19:02

These are fictional characters, some loosely based on outlaws historically, of the ming, qing dynasty novel shui hu zhuan(Outlaws of the Marsh).

They are not realy historical figures.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 19:16

This book created great lovable characters from Song dynasty; however the end of the novel is pure crap.  Just like every other "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" wanna bes.

The first picture, Lin Chung the Leopard Head is one of my favorite.  He is a great general with a beautiful wife in the book.  The son of a high rank kiss ass official named Gao Quo wanted Lin's wife for himself.  So he accused Lin of treason, took his wife, and was sending him to his death. 

Lin, with the help of a crazy monk who also became one of the "marshians", escaped.  To make Lin wife to give up waiting, they sent Lin, who was a great general, to some crap hole to save keep the military supply. 

They then send someone to burn down the outpost, but it was snowing so hard that collapsed Lin's room, so Li wasn't there at the outpost.  With this narrow escape, Lin finally realized that the government isn't going to do anything to keep justice, so with great conflict; he joined the Thieves in the Marsh.

The picture clearly depicts when he escaped the flame in that snow storm and decided to fight back.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 19:19
You can see a lot of them bear resemblance to the characters of Remance of the Three Kingdoms.  They were all said to be the "decendents" of the 3 kingdom characters.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 19:49

There is an ... i guess you can call it comic strip in English here for people who actually wants to know this story.

http://www.chinapage.com/shuihu/watermargin.html

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2004 at 19:52
OOO...it's a book?  Wow...and I thought they were real...
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 13:10
Well, a few of them were based on actual historical figures of Song Jiang and his rebels in Song dynasty.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Liu Ce View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Liu Ce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 13:55
Originally posted by hansioux

These are fictional characters, some loosely based on outlaws historically, of the ming, qing dynasty novel shui hu zhuan(Outlaws of the Marsh).

They are not realy historical figures.

I am sorry to tell you then that some are Zhuge Laing, Lu Bu, Zhou Yun, Lu Meng, and various others that relate to the Three Kingdoms area.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 16:05

Hey Hansioux,

It's unfair to say that Outlaws is merely a spinoff (wannabe) of Romance of 3K.  It was said that the author of 3K wrote the latter half of Outlaws -- so are we even be sure that 3K was written before Outlaws?  And not ALL of the 108 heroes were related to characters of 3K.  I believe, though, that at least the legends of 3K popularized before the legends of Outlaws (these legends preceded the respective novels.)  I'm a little biased, but I opine that Outlaws has greater literary merits than 3K for many reasons.

Peace,

Michael

10-20-2004

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 16:09

Hey Gubuk,

It's loosely based on historical and semi-historical accounts.  Some say that 90 percent of it is fiction.

Peace,

Michael

10-20-2004

Liu Ce View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Liu Ce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 20:31
No way, MengTzu it's the other way around they say it's 9/10 historical I beleave.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 00:39

Hey Liu Ce,

I'm pretty sure most of it is fictional.  They could barely find references to Sung Jang and his outlaws in historical records, and those they find are dubious references.  Even if Sung Jang and his outlaws were historical, most of the events are detailed ancetodes, which I think were unlikely to be historical.  Do you think Sung Shi talked about Wu Song fighting a tiger?

Peace,

Michael

10-20-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 02:40

nah, i didn't say it was a spin-off at all at any point.  I simply said that it's a 3K wanna be.

If you want to know just how much of it is fiction, then start with the earliest published and found versions of this story.  At first there were only 36 heros.  Then it became 108.  So just how much of them are made up...  2/3 of it is made up. 

And that's just the characters.  What about how much of the story is made up?  Let see, the story started with Gods in heavens being punished so they fell to earth and became these heros... ok... probably made up... WEll, let's just say... if anything of this story is not made up, it's probably the few names that actually apeared in the history books.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 14:38

Hey Hansioux,

And I said it's not simply a wannabe of 3K either.  Only a few superficial resemblances can be found, such as what a certain person looks like, his weapons, what titles does he have, etc.  In fact, this doesn't even necessarily mean that Outlaws imitated even a few things -- it's also possible that 3K folklores were so prevalent and salient that such character themes (like leopard head) become a part of everyday collective consciousness of that time (much like our superman and spiderman.)  And if the Luo Guan Zhong wrote the last part of Outlaws, then it's difficult to say which actual novel was written first.  Also, the original stories could well be fictional, so there's no guarantee that 1/3 of the 108 heroes were real.

Peace,

Michael

10-22-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:04
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Hansioux,

And I said it's not simply a wannabe of 3K either.  Only a few superficial resemblances can be found, such as what a certain person looks like, his weapons, what titles does he have, etc.  In fact, this doesn't even necessarily mean that Outlaws imitated even a few things -- it's also possible that 3K folklores were so prevalent and salient that such character themes (like leopard head) become a part of everyday collective consciousness of that time (much like our superman and spiderman.)  And if the Luo Guan Zhong wrote the last part of Outlaws, then it's difficult to say which actual novel was written first.  Also, the original stories could well be fictional, so there's no guarantee that 1/3 of the 108 heroes were real.

Peace,

Michael

10-22-2004

We are on the same page here.  I didn't say there's 1/3rd of people's true.  I said at most only 1/3rd of the character names could be true.  However, Soong Jiang is a real historical figure.  His name is mentioned in Soong Shi.  Even though it's only one line, but that means his rebels made that big of an impact.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:07
The best thing about this good is the characters that doesn't have anything to do with 3K.  In any case, even though Soong Jiang should be the main character since he's probably the only one who is actually real.  But other characters, especially Lin Chung is much more popular.  Because eventhough fictional his character is so real.

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:15

For those who reads traditional han zhi, this is the 3 parts of Song Shi regarding  this revolution.  As you can see, Soong Jiang and the 36 thieves is actual history.

『徽宗本紀』:「宣和三年時,淮南盜江等犯淮陽軍,遣將討捕,又 犯京東、河北,入楚海州界,命知州張叔夜招降之。」 (宋史卷廿二)

『侯蒙傳』:「宋江寇京東,侯蒙上書言:『江以三十六人橫行齊魏 ,官軍數萬無敢抗者,其才必過人。今清溪盜起,不若赦江,使討方 獵以自贖。』帝曰:『蒙居外不忘君,忠臣也。』」 (宋史卷三百五十一)

『張叔夜傳』:「叔夜再知海州,宋江起河朔,轉略十郡,官軍著敢 攖其鋒。聲言將至,叔夜使覘所向,賊徑趨海瀕,劫巨舟十餘,載鹵 獲。於是募死士,得千人,設伏近城,而出輕兵距海誘之戰,先匿壯 卒海旁,伺兵合,舉火焚其舟。賊聞之,皆無鬥志,伏兵乘之,擒其 副賊,江乃降。」(宋史卷三百五十三)

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 17:48

Hey Hansioux,

You still haven't addressed the question of whether it's a wannabe 3K =)  I'm pretty adamant about this, I'm sorry, cuz I grew up with 3K being very popular (in games and such,) and my bro was a big fan, and I've been a Outlaws fan for a very long time, so a part of me feels that the two are pitted against each other.  (Of course I know this shouldn't be the case.)  Anyway, like I said, I find the charge that Outlaws is simply a wannabe of 3K not true.  Outlaws only had a few superficial resemblances with 3K.  Furthermore, the actual novel of Outlaws might have been written prior to the actual novel of 3K.  Btw, regarding Soong Jiang: the mentioning of him were so far in between in Sung Shi that his existence (or at least what he was reputed to have done) is a bit dubious.

Peace,

Michael

10-22-2004

Edited by MengTzu
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 17:44

Wow, finally i am able to log on from home.  For a while it kept telling that only specialy users can log on, yet I can log on just fine from work.  Maybe now I can go write up the sources on Taiwan and Talas after all.

Anyway, all Chinese novels started in the form of 說書 (shuo Shu, story telling).  It used to be a popular form of street entertainment.  I guess not far off radio story shows, where one person tell the stories, acts it out, and add their own unique flavor to the story.  This used to draw a large crowd of people, listenning to the story and then when it ends, they paid the performer.  Then came back next day for continuetion.

This can be seen in these novels.  Such as at the end of every chapter, it same times says "欲知後事如何,請見下回分曉".  If you want to know what's going on, read the next chapter.  Well, why would a book need that have that?  If you are reading the freaking book, of course you are going to read the next chapter.  It is because these books were written in the spirit of story telling.  Where the performer needs to let the audiance come back to pay tomorrow.

The point is San Guo stories existed long before the Outlaw story.... for obvious reasons.  There have been novels on San Guo, not the current version, and scripts on traditional Chinese drama about San Guo before outlaw ever happened.  San Guo is embedded in the Chinese culture, even if there wasn't a novel called "San Guo Yan Yi".  That is why when the Suei Hu story started developing, they draw on San Guo stuff to make the crowd interested.  There were 108 characters, there's not need to put characters just like San Guo in the story.

These story didn't come to be just because a writer wrote it down.  They were there way before it was even put in writing.  I am talking about the story of Suei Hu as a San Guo wanna be, hence the addition of San Guo characters.  Not that the actual book copied San Guo or whether which book was written before which.

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 17:48
Personaly, I like 包公判案 and 七俠五義... Of course... 三國 and 西遊記 will always be my favorite.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>