Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEthnic Cleansing of Macedonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic Cleansing of Macedonia
    Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 12:50

You are mistaken, the city of Smyrna was burnt by the Turkish irregulars under the supervision of the Turkish army

The fire, which started in Basmane Quarter, was started by Greeks leaving the city after the victory of the Turkish national independence army.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 13:13

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

The fire, which started in Basmane Quarter, was started by Greeks leaving the city after the victory of the Turkish national independence army.

Ok, if you search the forum for "Smyrna - fire" you'll find previous posts. More or less the Greek point is that Turk irregulars (Chets?) who entered the city first started the fire, under orders and plan from Turkish authorities/army. This is supported also by American missionaries in the city. I'm certain that Turks have a different opinion...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 13:36

[QUOTE] More or less the Greek point is that Turk irregulars (Chets?) who entered the city first started the fire, under orders and plan from Turkish authorities/army [/QUOTE]

So, that's general Greek opinion about the fire of Izmir.

And the French officials claim that the Turkish authorities weren't to be blamed, and it also makes sense. After the lootings, the richest seaport of Turkey has thus perished. No authorities are suppoused to burn their own seaport, warehouses and stations after they regained the city, right?

Edited by Bashibozuk
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 13:44
On the other hand no-one can suggest that people running for their lives, had the time or the coll-head needed to materialize such a plan. Greeks leaving the area had the idea that they were going away for a short time, until things settle down and return later. My grandmother didn't burn her house when she left, instead she cleaned it, took some clothes along, hid her jewelry, locked her door and took the key with her (we still have it).
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 13:50

Thats why there are still so many Turks living in Bulgaria? Turks still have a presence in Greek thrace. But were is there any minority presence in turkey? Accept for the millions of kurds?

The topic is about the ethnic cleansing of Turks from Rumeli. The Turks, sorry, Muslims of Western Thrace aren't that well behaved at all.

I don't know if i am going to be banned for this, but i really don't care after i have readen that stupinity. If you are not from greece then stop saying bullsh*ts. Do you know that those muslims enter by far easiest in greeks univercities that others Greeks. Do you know that stupit greek law is going against the other people that work harder and write in exams better that those muslims and can't enter the univercity of their choise??? Do you think they are not behaved very well??? What that means ????

Do you know that those muslims pass in the place of people that actually wrote in exams more!!!!. Well if you don't then take your filphy propaganda and begone.

That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 14:35

My grandmother didn't burn her house when she left

But it depends. Of course a regular "local" wouldn't burn the house, but the invasion army definately would.

Do you know that those muslims pass in the place of people that actually wrote in exams more

I know everything about them, don't worry. I've been to Iskee and saw the real picture myself. And please rephrase your statements after you calm down with a better grammer, because I really couldn't get anything from it.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 16:23

But it depends. Of course a regular "local" wouldn't burn the house, but the invasion army definately would.

Why would the Greek army burn the city?This is absurd.Besides the greatest part  of the city was inhabited by Greeks.
There are accounts by many neutral eye-witnesses that describe how the fire started,when the Turkish irregulars entered the Armenian quarters.
Perhaps we can start a thread about the destruction of Smyrna,because this is a bit irrelevant to this subject.

Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 17:11
on the other hand the act of ethnic cleansing undertaken by the greek regime in 1913 had as a purpose to assimilate or cleanse the slavic presence in the region

Interesting that we mention 'ethnic cleansing' but only mention it on one side.. What happened to those known as VRMO, you know the murderers that went under the banner with a scull and crossbones.. appropriate symbol once you think of what they did..

If we are to discuss this issue it must be based on real facts and no propaganda sites.. For example, why is there absolutely no reference of the Austrian and Russian role in the events from 1860-1960,
why is there no reference to mama-Russia's dreams of a 'united Makedonia' and a 'united Thrace' that would give her access to the Aegean,
why is there no reference to the direct orders seen in the Plenary conference of the International Communist organizations of the Balkans that demanded the formation of these 'united nations' under the supervision of mama-Russia,
why is there absolutely no reference to the well proven fact that Hellines of Serres and the surrounding villages, asked the Ottomans to save them and actually acted as their informants in order to save themselves from the continuous Bulgarian raids on their villages,....
why is there no reference to June 28. 1913, when after their defeat the Bulgarian army while fleeing, burnt down 4050 houses and 1076 stores in the city of Serres,
and a number of other issues, your sources fail to mention ???

Another interesting little thing I noticed, is while you present a pic of "Bulgarian captives at Kilkis" in order to support your claims of ethnic cleansing. You conveniently didn't notice that they are all wearing military uniforms... which actually indicates that they were most probably part of the VRMO murderers..

Around 35,000 Chams were expelled from Greece after World War II after being accused of collaboration with the Nazi occupation, they say.They were given Albanian citizenship in 1953.

Actually the Albanian sources speak of some 18.000 but anyway, it is well documented that they fled for their lives after collaborating with the Italians during their invasion and the Germans during the occupation.. In either way, fled or expelled, high treason is punished by death.. so I'd say we were highly generous to allow them to escape with their lives..
Do keep in mind that they were Hellinic citizens, so their ethnicity is actually indifferent to the discussion..

In either example (and FYROM as an addition), I find it at least interesting to note that other countries, for some reason enjoy making claims on Hellinic lands instead of leaving history behind them and trying to actually prosper in cooperation with a country that has done more than any other for their integration into the Western community (see EU and NATO)..

Edited by Isokrates
"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a
child; but when I became a man I put away childish things."
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 05:27
First, it's VMORO (Internal Macedonian-Odrin Revolutionary Organization), not VRMO. And second, in the beginning it was a revolutionary organization, but in time (especially after the failure of the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie uprising and the Balkan wars) it became to a great degree a terrorist organization, which organized a lot of political assassinations also of their own kin - Bulgarians, which weren't "politically convenient". So VMORO (later VMRO) were terrorists fighting everyone, not only Greeks or Serbs.
Third, to Leonidas, as a Bulgarian I have the most information about the Bulgarian side. You, as Greeks, should have more information about the Greek side. And I'm sorry, but I don't really have enough spare time to search and write for something, which could be done easier and more accurate by someone more familiar with the matter. And if someone else has enough free time to research for the other sides - ok! But personally I haven't. So if I post something, I post about what I already know (i.e. I share), or in this case, due to the fact that I'm not so familiar with this historical period, I just write free "philisophical" text. So, IMHO, the best ones, who could show the Greek POV are the Greeks themselves, for the Bulgarian POV - the Bulgarians themselves, for the Turkish side - the Turks themselves etc. And when more and more POVs are posted, we can sift it out and make our own POV, according to what we've read and what we believe.

And btw, I wonder why are there so many statistics with bad sides of nations deeds, but there are no such statistics with good sides. Surely every nation (especially in this turbulent region) has done shameful and horrible acts of aggresion and "revenge" to the other sides (in this I don't exclude ourselves - we've had our villains too). But why aren't there recorded the cases of cooperation and tolerance (which I personally believe could exist even here in the Balkans)? Or maybe here the media law "Good news aren't news" applies too...
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 05:46
VMORO , VRMO... whats the difference, should we also mention that it originally started off as BMARC (Bulgarian Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Committee) (others suggest BMORC with the 'O' standing for  'Odrin') ??
The names may be slightly different to eachother, but he cause remained exactly the same. As mentioned above..
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 06:21
I understand about the time thing. I bothered to find out because there is a obvoius inference by BG that greeks were the ones guilty of such big terms like genocide and ethnic cleansing in macedonia. I already knew that you guys had a very rough time under the turks and especially during the fight for freedom. I also knew that it was a free for all, sh*t fight and there can be no one nation that should be blamed or victimised in such a enviroment. Such was stated by me already in my posts and by akritas.

If he wanted to bring up greek crimes via dodgy, unsourced, selective cut and paste jobs or use ultranationalist FRYOMian websties he can only expected a 'warmongering' mood. Just by the way he selectively cut what suites him and the sources alone it would be easy to see he had an agenda. On philosophical level, he should recieve all the criticism he deserves. If he was here to learn anything his responses would be different. It was either greek bashing or heavy bias, either way he deserves what he gets.

He wanted to talk about non-greek genocides, i can do that and still show he was misleading and full of it. The brutal violence was widespread, done by all sides and started before the greeks joined the fray.

BTW i really enjoyed reading something about the bulgarian struggle.

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 08:05

Do you know that those muslims pass in the place of people that actually wrote in exams more

I know everything about them, don't worry. I've been to Iskee and saw the real picture myself. And please rephrase your statements after you calm down with a better grammer, because I really couldn't get anything from it.

First of all, i don't give a wooden nidle about the history in that topic, I am here to talk about the morden times. And i also believe that turks souldn't really cry about ethic cleansing etc.

Second  "dude" what in the nice hells of Baator is Iskene????? If you have actually been in Greece i would expect to write the greek name (the true one) of that city.

Second you know all about them? Oh RLY? When you was last here? In 1963-1974 ????? Let me tell you somethink i have been also in Alexandroupolis, Ksanthi and Komotini. The real picture isn't worst from other areas in the Greek statement. If there is lack in some areas is because of their lazinest. If they want factories to work then i sujest to stop pay the girls there 100 euro per month in order to wear that ungly think on their heads (i really, really don't care how you call it) and with those money in 5 years they will make a good factory. But no they just want to say :" We are muslims. allah will rain food,women and money".

Also you claim that greek goverment don't tolarate them well? I challenge you to give me an example. But wait a minute they are in greek parliament, right? What about that filphy greek law that let them to enter  easiests in greek univercities?? Didn't you knew that?? If that fair for the other greeks?? And what's the excuse??? They don't know well the greek languadge and they are NOT INTEREST TO ENTER IN UNIVERCITIES. Got it "dude" or you need better grammar to understant it?.

I enjoy good propagnda because it need skill to turn it down. But filphy and stupit propaganda as your it makes me just furrius....

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 08:40
can some people calm down!
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 09:33
Originally posted by Isokrates

VMORO , VRMO... whats the difference, should we also mention that it originally started off as BMARC (Bulgarian Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Committee) (others suggest BMORC with the 'O' standing for  'Odrin') ??
The names may be slightly different to eachother, but he cause remained exactly the same. As mentioned above..

Actually, VMRO has had many names, which even I don't remember! But the one you're speaking of is an entirely different organization. Let's try to structurize the different spellings at least:
Bulgarian spelling | English spelling
VMK (Varhoven Makedonski Komitet) | SMC (Supreme Macedonian Comittee) - established on the 19th of March 1895 in Sofia.
VMOK (Varhoven Makedono-Odrinski Komitet) | SMAC (Supreme Macedonian-Adrianople Comittee) - VMK/SMC expands to VMOK/SMAC in 1900.
---
VMORO (Vatreshna Makedono-Odrinska Revolucionna Organizacia) | IMARO (Internal Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organization) - established on the 23rd of October 1893 in Macedonia.
VMRO (Vatreshna Makedonska Revolucionna Organizacia) | IMRO (Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization) - after WWI VMORO/IMARO becomes VMRO/IMRO and changes its policy to a great degree. It becomes a political-terroristic organization, which sows terror in Sofia in political fight with other Bulgarian parties.

These two organizations (VMOK and VMORO) are two completely separate organizations and in fact often fought between each other. They had also two different goals - VMOK wanted to join Macedonia and Adrianople Thrace directly to Bulgaria, while VMORO wanted those territories to gain independence first. After WWI VMRO left its policy to fight the Turks in Macedonia and Adrianople (the latter of which was already lost) and started to interfere in the Bulgarian political life, organizing numerous assassinations of party leaders (including leaders of VMRO itself). So, basically said, in the beginning the goal of both these organizations was to fight for the liberation of Macedonia and Thrace, but in time VMRO became more of a political-terrorist group rather than a liberation movement.

Originally posted by Leonidas

I bothered to find out because there is a obvoius inference by BG that greeks were the ones guilty of such big terms like genocide and ethnic cleansing in macedonia.

I think this wasn't his intention. And of course it's stupid to say "... are the only guilty for starting this!" Rivalries and ethnical, religious, political confrontations have always existed on these lands ever since humans started living in them! True, everybody participated, but noone could be blamed to be the starter of it all. So I agree with "The brutal violence was widespread, done by all sides and started before the greeks joined the fray." Actually, I'd say it started when some people came from Asia Minor, but I might offend someone this way, so...

BTW i really enjoyed reading something about the bulgarian struggle.

Oh, about what exactly? And unfortunately I have to admit that I know almost nothing about Greek fights. In 12th grade we studied the liberation movements of the Balkan nations, but I remember only just a few things about the Serbian liberation. Oh, and of course there's the end of one novel-tetralogy about Macedonia in those times, written by a contemporary of the Ilinden uprising, Dimitar Talev. The last book concernes the rivalries between Bulgarians, Serbs and Greeks in the region. Quite a nice book and even one "Romeo and Juliet"-type story (a Bulgarian boy (the prototype of the author) and a Greek girl between the two rivaling sides)! But I know almost nothing else, the next thing I remember about Greeks are the andartes from WWII...

Edited by NikeBG
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 11:06

can some people calm down!

I will try to calm down, because if someone suffers here that's my keyboard. I just got furrius by the style: "i have been there once and i know everything" and those HUGE LIES. I never got any respect to people that's says: "i know everythink" and then start to say lies and expect the others to believe them

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 11:30

It should be mentioned that when the New Turks came to power in Istanbul,it became clear to all non-Muslims  living in Macedonia that their goal was to assimilate these communities by force.Between 1908-1912 the assasination of priests and christian peasants had become a daily routine.The tortures in Thessalonica was also very widespread.There the Turks tortured those that they regarded suspicious,most of the times smashed their toes with clubs or gauged their eyes and things like that.All these things forced the Bulgarians,the Serbs and the Greeks to form the coalition against the Turks.
The Turkish violence between 1908-1912 was targeted against all non-Muslims,especially against christians of Macedonia. 

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 11:43

Why would the Greek army burn the city?

why did greek army burned half of western anatolia? reason should be  same.

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 11:51
Kosova already largely Albanian.

Until the Serbian occupation began, Kosova was about 75% Albanian. By thye end of the second world war the number dropped due to Serb colonization of the decades before. Most of the Serbs were montenegrin serbs. Following that time Albanians pushed the colonizers out. There was also a large number of Albanians that were removed from Kosova unde rthe guise of being Turks. This happened even in lands that are ALb historically, like Shkodra. They were sent to Turkey.
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 12:23
I don't see why we're getting all mixed up in the exact spelling of acronyms.. Sure each organization is significant and played its role.. But, in short the objective was actually the same. Motivated either to annex or 'liberate' lands is actually the same thing in my book.. especially since in the process innocent people were killed..

I never did mention VMOK or did I?
If VMORO is so different than VRMO then the FYROMians have chosen a wrong person for their national hero in the face of Goce Delcev..thats for sure..
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 12:24
why did greek army burned half of western anatolia? reason should be  same

Interesting statement when we could present a number of documents and quotes from people that lived it, all making reference to cleansing of the Hellines of Anatolia by Talaat among others..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>