Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are Indians classified as?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are Indians classified as?
    Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:23
Genetic studies don't support much Indians (or other dark peoples of Eurasia, like Papuans or Melanesians) being more Africans than the rest of peoples of Eurasia, Oceania or America.

It seems pretty clear that (follow the tree I posted before for references) Humankind can be divided in African (or more precisely sud-Saharan African) and the rest (that I will call Asian to simplify). Some maybe 100 thousand years ago some people came out of sud-Saharan Africa either via the Nile or crossing Bar el Mandeb or both and from there started slowly but steadily to expand into Asia.

If you follow the Cavalli-Sfroza tree, you can see that there are two main Asian branches (marked blue and green): one possibly followed that coastal route to India, SE Asia and Oceania; the other followed probably a continental route to the NE. To simplify, I'll call these two branches South Asian and North Asian respectively.

Caucasoids (pink branch) belong to the North Asian branch but other parallel studies seem to point to the following process: they remained behind, probably in the Near East region, where they got mixed with a significant ammount of African blood (about 1/3), prior to their expansion into Europeand other regions. This may have happened c. 60-40,000 years ago.

So, in this sense, not just Indians but all Caucasoids do have a stronger African connection than the rest of "Asians". This can't be said of South Asians, including Australoids and others, at least as far as I know.

While Australoids were in India before Caucasoids (Dravidians and others) arrived massively, maybe in Paleolithic times or maybe in the Neolithic period, it wouldn't seem as their apportantion to modern Dravidian blood is so strong. In any case I wouldn't say that dark skin trait is original from them but rather part of the natural variation among Caucasoids. We are badly accustomed to think of Caucasoids as Nordic type or other light skinned types, profuse of blondisms, but nothing could be farther from reality: if a median type should be selected to represent the actual variability of Caucasoids, Near Eastern or Mediterranean populations are probably much more representative.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:28
Originally posted by Rakhsh

Originally posted by cattus

yes, people of India are caucasian. They can even be considered to have their own sub-race and are very diverse within themselves. North-Indid/Penisular.

Uhmm how are indians Caucasian? Please explain this.

Did you see the genetic tree I posted: Indians (both types) are clearly inside the pink branch of Caucasoids.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 22:36
Originally posted by Itihaas

Well, I am Dravidian so according to certain sources I found on the internet, Dravidians are a combination of Caucasian and Australasian. So basically we are a hybrid race. I'm not sure about how it works for Northindians though.

Interesting, that is the first I have heard of a Caucasian connection to the Dravidians.  I've always understood that the Dravidians were related to he ancient Elamites.

Linguistically and from what I understood racially as well, India can be basically divided in 2.  The Indo-Aryan (hence Indo-European) North and the Dravidian South (I'm being somewhat simplistic here, as Cywr mentioned, there are Mongoloids in the extreme east (Assam, Manipur etc). 

Both of these 2 halves are themselves divided into states along linguistic lines.  In the North you have the Indo-European languages of:
  • Punjabi (in the state of Punjab),
  • Gujrati (in Gujrat),
  • Rajasthani (in Rajasthan),
  • Bihari (in Bihar),
  • Bengali (in West Bengal and Bangladesh),
  • Hindi (Uttar Pradesh),
  • Marathi (in Maharashtra) etc,
All of these languages are related to each other.

In the South, there are the Dravidian languages of:
  • Tamil (in the state of Tamil Nadu)
  • Malayalam (in Kerala)
  • Telugu (in Andhra Pradesh), and
  • Kannada (in Karnatika)
Again, all of these languages are related to each other.

Here is a current policial map of India:

It is interesting to note that if you applied European political nationalism to India, instead of one country, you would have at least 20 countries.  Take Europe, you have the Slavic language family tree, (eg, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Russian, Serb, Croat, Bosnian etc etc) and each language boundary was the basis to derive the national state.  In India, these language boundaries was used to derive provincial states within a bigger federation of India.
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 00:41

I agree with Jazz in this, due to current arcaheological research there was a shift via coastal first, I never said one was more african then another. I personally do not believe in the African theory or hypothesis. This is a theory with not enough supporting evidence.

Another factor that disaproves africa is The bones found of a hominod species dating at 8 million years 1 million more then the Leaky's finding of their bones, this was discovered in November last year and I look foward hungrily at their results and research.

But I have loved this topic alot and found it very interesting

Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 03:07

yes, people of India are caucasian. They can even be considered to have their own sub-race and are very diverse within themselves. North-Indid/Penisular.

Not all Indians.  For the most part, it will be the northern (Indo-Aryan) group.  The Caucasian link derives from the Aryan Migration Theory (all Indo-Europeans are Caucasian, or Caucasoid) into North India.  The Dravidian south is excluded from this.

...New Evidence suggests they might have taken a more southerly route, along the Arabian penisula into India, Indonesia and Australia....

I have heard of this theory as well.  It will be hard to find evidence for this (either for or against) simply because it hypotheses populations migrating along the coast.  With sea levels rising and falling over the years (due to ice-age advances and recessions), and good old wave action, there is a chance that much of the evidence needed (in archeological terms) might be submerged underneath what is the current Indian coastline.

Edited by Jazz
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 10:07
Originally posted by Jazz

Originally posted by Itihaas

Well, I am Dravidian so according to certain sources I found on the internet, Dravidians are a combination of Caucasian and Australasian. So basically we are a hybrid race. I'm not sure about how it works for Northindians though.

Interesting, that is the first I have heard of a Caucasian connection to the Dravidians.  I've always understood that the Dravidians were related to he ancient Elamites.

Linguistically and from what I understood racially as well, India can be basically divided in 2.  The Indo-Aryan (hence Indo-European) North and the Dravidian South (I'm being somewhat simplistic here, as Cywr mentioned, there are Mongoloids in the extreme east (Assam, Manipur etc). 

Both of these 2 halves are themselves divided into states along linguistic lines.  In the North you have the Indo-European languages of:
  • Punjabi (in the state of Punjab),
  • Gujrati (in Gujrat),
  • Rajasthani (in Rajasthan),
  • Bihari (in Bihar),
  • Bengali (in West Bengal and Bangladesh),
  • Hindi (Uttar Pradesh),
  • Marathi (in Maharashtra) etc,
All of these languages are related to each other.

In the South, there are the Dravidian languages of:
  • Tamil (in the state of Tamil Nadu)
  • Malayalam (in Kerala)
  • Telugu (in Andhra Pradesh), and
  • Kannada (in Karnatika)

Again, all of these languages are related to each other.

Here is a current policial map of India:

It is interesting to note that if you applied European political nationalism to India, instead of one country, you would have at least 20 countries.  Take Europe, you have the Slavic language family tree, (eg, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Russian, Serb, Croat, Bosnian etc etc) and each language boundary was the basis to derive the national state.  In India, these language boundaries was used to derive provincial states within a bigger federation of India.

Hi Jazz sorry to interrupt.This is not the current political map of India.About 5 years ago 3 new states were formed.Uttaranchal{carved out of Uttar Pradesh},Chattisgarh{Madhya Pradesh} n Jharkhand{Bihar}.

Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 10:10

Another factor that disaproves africa is The bones found of a hominod species dating at 8 million years 1 million more then the Leaky's finding of their bones, this was discovered in November last year and I look foward hungrily at their results and research.

Hominids or even extint species of Homo are not proof of anything regarding us. It is pretty clear that all modern humans are exclussively descendants of a single group of Homo sapiens that appeared in Africa at some time between 200,000 and 150,000 years ago. MtDNA tracking has shown that there was a single group of females at the origin of our species and that group existed some 150,000 years ago. Every single living human is descendant from that unique core. There's no serious discussion on that.

In the case of extint species of humans, like Neanderthal, interbreeding or separate evolution is totally discarded. They just went extint, either because our pressure or because natural disasters such as the supervolcano of Toba (Sumatra), which exploded c. 70,000 years ago, breaking havoc in most of Asia.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 19:14

I never said anything about neanderthals at all, Fact is modern humans came from Homo Erectus and there is mutliple theories as to how we appeared, oldest dated Human is at 195,000 years ago, fact is only the female Gene is said to come from africa, again that is not enough evidence to state we all come from africa, for all we know they could have migrated there and since the oldest bones found is there we are under the assumption we originated there.

The fact is archaeologists have fallen into a trap, they search in Africa, why? because some of the first bones are found there, but also hominod species have been found outside of africa which evolved differently, this shows that there is a strong possibility early human species evolved outside of africa.

Again as you noted a single group of Homo-Sapien sapiens, this does not actually contend that all homo-Sapien sapiens came from africa, only a single group, until more archaeology is done, and a result of the 8 million year old bones in Russia are released we will not truely know.

If this is the case then it shows hominod species evolving out of Africa, the evolutionary theory again I will state is just that a thoery, with not enough solid evidence to support it. The problem with DNA and genetic testing is, you have to test every person in the world and every country in the world.

You said case of different species mixing is totally disregarded, this my friend is not true, we know that several human species mixed, the fact that Homo-Erectus is our ancestor showed he contributed to Homo-Sapiens sapien.

there are 3 major theories of human evolution, adaptive raditation, recobination of genes (interbreeding/mixing) and the last I always forget

Edited by Rakhsh
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 19:27
Originally posted by Jazz

Not all Indians.  For the most part, it will be the northern (Indo-Aryan) group.  The Caucasian link derives from the Aryan Migration Theory (all Indo-Europeans are Caucasian, or Caucasoid) into North India.  The Dravidian south is excluded from this.

this is a misnomer. one would be hard-pressed to find any indian, north or south, who is of pure "dravidian" blood. for the most part, while the northern indians seems to have more caucasiodal characteristics, years of in-nation breeding has yielded an india more or less the same in genetic make-up.

plus, there exist no "dravidian" south today. once again, it would be pretty hard to prove otherwise. the only way really to differentiate a dravidian south from a caucasian north is by language. and even that, due to religion mainly (word usage and such), is becoming a finer and finer line. so many words are shared between dravidian languages and the northern IE languages, indians for the most part don't care to differentiate them.

if you are asking for the genetic make-up of indians, say, 6000 years ago, i would agree. there probably were differences. but today, save skin color, those same differences don't exist.

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 20:08
Originally posted by katulakatula

Hi Jazz sorry to interrupt.This is not the current political map of India.About 5 years ago 3 new states were formed.Uttaranchal{carved out of Uttar Pradesh},Chattisgarh{Madhya Pradesh} n Jharkhand{Bihar}.

You are absolutely correct!

Funny thing is I have a current map of India hanging on my office wall, but am so used to seeing the older boundaries, I didn't even think of it when I linked the above map.....

Here is a current map:

The northern borders of the states of Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh forms the linguistic boundaries of the Indo-Aryan northern group, and the Dravidian southern group, both completely unrelated.

Edited by Jazz
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 08:36

I never said anything about neanderthals at all, Fact is modern humans came from Homo Erectus and there is mutliple theories as to how we appeared, oldest dated Human is at 195,000 years ago, fact is only the female Gene is said to come from africa, again that is not enough evidence to state we all come from africa, for all we know they could have migrated there and since the oldest bones found is there we are under the assumption we originated there.

The fact is archaeologists have fallen into a trap, they search in Africa, why? because some of the first bones are found there, but also hominod species have been found outside of africa which evolved differently, this shows that there is a strong possibility early human species evolved outside of africa.

Again as you noted a single group of Homo-Sapien sapiens, this does not actually contend that all homo-Sapien sapiens came from africa, only a single group, until more archaeology is done, and a result of the 8 million year old bones in Russia are released we will not truely know.

If this is the case then it shows hominod species evolving out of Africa, the evolutionary theory again I will state is just that a thoery, with not enough solid evidence to support it. The problem with DNA and genetic testing is, you have to test every person in the world and every country in the world.

You said case of different species mixing is totally disregarded, this my friend is not true, we know that several human species mixed, the fact that Homo-Erectus is our ancestor showed he contributed to Homo-Sapiens sapien.

there are 3 major theories of human evolution, adaptive raditation, recobination of genes (interbreeding/mixing) and the last I always forget

DNA studies do not need to sample every single human being: they have enough using statiscally significative samples. If out of 1000 people (of the same region/ethnicity) you get that 812 have X type, 175 have Y type and the rest have Z and W types, you can well say that these proportions apply to all the region or ethnicity being studied. It may be an error but this is in any case minimal and not significative. Obviously further independent studies of the same sort would help to narrow the error margin even more.

Of all sampled DNA of the World not a single one has been fond that doesn't  fit the fact of being descendant of the pseudo-Eve and the pseudo-Adam. Both archaeological and genetic dispersion studies are totally coincident with the out-of-Africa theory. And, if you would like to prove that it is wrong, nowadays it is relatively easy: drill the teeth of those Asian erectus and compare its MtDNA with modern human one. This has been done with Neanderthals and gave clearly negative results. It can be done with other human species as well.

The more we know the more that the out-of-Africa theory is confirmed. While we are still waiting to some of those pedantic pseudo-scientists that defend other hypothesis to prove anything of them or demonstrate that the out-of-Africa paradigm is false.

Show me evidence, or at least strong indications, else keep silent and get to work until you find them.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 18:37
Originally posted by Maju

DNA studies do not need to sample every single human being: they have enough using statiscally significative samples. If out of 1000 people (of the same region/ethnicity) you get that 812 have X type, 175 have Y type and the rest have Z and W types, you can well say that these proportions apply to all the region or ethnicity being studied. It may be an error but this is in any case minimal and not significative. Obviously further independent studies of the same sort would help to narrow the error margin even more.

Of all sampled DNA of the World not a single one has been fond that doesn't  fit the fact of being descendant of the pseudo-Eve and the pseudo-Adam. Both archaeological and genetic dispersion studies are totally coincident with the out-of-Africa theory. And, if you would like to prove that it is wrong, nowadays it is relatively easy: drill the teeth of those Asian erectus and compare its MtDNA with modern human one. This has been done with Neanderthals and gave clearly negative results. It can be done with other human species as well.

The more we know the more that the out-of-Africa theory is confirmed. While we are still waiting to some of those pedantic pseudo-scientists that defend other hypothesis to prove anything of them or demonstrate that the out-of-Africa paradigm is false.

Show me evidence, or at least strong indications, else keep silent and get to work until you find them.

Again I state it is a theory, even archaeologists expect to find Adam in Asia, if your a scientist or of sound mind then you should know stats is false, and with globalisation, peoples in an area are from different backgrounds and ethnicity. Iran and Arabia can fall into this same area ideal but both are different ethnicites and races even on the genetic level.

(Of all sampled DNA of the World not a single one has been fond that doesn't  fit the fact of being descendant of the pseudo-Eve and the pseudo-Adam. Both archaeological and genetic dispersion studies are totally coincident with the out-of-Africa theory.) Uhmm who research are you basing this on? No not all archeologisits agree with the out of africa theory and all are open to new work and additon, central asia and the middle east have not had much research done due to the Cold war, War, governments etc etc

So this whole put up or shut up response of your sorry I think you should look into it, your obviously a drone and not open to new ideas, no no I mean that the fact that even archaeologisit agere there is not enough evidence you still contend we all agree... I am an archaeologist like my Friend Aryan Khadem and he and I both share similar ideas and theories.

So my response to you is, no there is not enough evidence to support the out of Africa, yes there is strong factors to maybe but not solid and conclusive at all.

And yes you do need to test every Human stats does not work and can be manipulated to suit the agenda......

Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 18:39
here is an example of this kind of stats, say you did it in eastern part of Iraq or Northern and the tests shows strong Iranian genes in the local populations hence then they must all be Iranians, but the fact is Arabs and those arabs who married Iranians all live in the same village does not indicate all of them are from iran.....hence the out of africa based on stats is fallacious and ambigious
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 19:21
Ehm? 

How can you diferentiate genetically an Iranian from an Arab? Genetic diferentiation happened mostly in Prehistory and both Arabs and Iranians had the genes that have now (more or less) before they were assimlated into either ethnicity.

Are we talking of Prehistory (out-of-Africa, most of gene distribution) or are we talking of recent history (assimilation into this or that ethnicity). I think that you are considered Arab or Iranian because of the language you speak or the affinity you feel, not because you have this or that gene - as the vast majority of people hasn't attempted to trace their genetic genealogical tree.

I know I'm Basque (with this or that mixture) but I've never tried to justify that using genetics. It's a question of where you live, what language you speak, how you feel integrated, where are your roots. I feel 100% Basque and my brother feels Spaniard instead. National or ethnic adscription is mostly a mental state.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 04:51
That is true to a point, yes, we are all human beings but I am trying to state that the out of africa is a theory.... For all we know we could have originated in the Middle east and moved south, north, east and west etc there is not enough evidence to support africa.... Also one reason is there is no conclusive evidence as we are always finding out new things.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 09:36
But of what evidence is so far available, majority of it points to an out of Africa origin, hence the reason it is by far the most widely accepted theory.
Arrrgh!!"
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 08:58

Thanks for pointing it out as a Theory, just because it is more widely accepted does not mean I have to believe in it or agree with it.

But you can believe we came from Africa and I will believe central Asia and Middle East

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 07:23
Eventually it proves that there are no major diferences in the north & south of Indian subcontinent.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
RajputGirl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote RajputGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 03:28
I believe Indians should be classed as africans

If that happened, Pakistanis would be PWNED. 

You know how Pakistani school-boys desperately try to emulate stereotypical African-American culture, so they would immediately worship Indians since Indians would be considered black and Pakistanis would still be looked at as curry munchers that own 7'11's.   

Edited by RajputGirl - 25-Nov-2006 at 03:33
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 03:56
I have heard that the latest theory is that Indians were the first mass migration out of africa. This tribe went over the Arabian Peninsula and then down to the subcontinent where it multiplied massively and established deep roots. Now from this point on the migratory stream continued from India into south and north -east asia. The northerners met up and joined with another migration going further north now known as mongoloids and also crossed into Norther America over the Aleutian islands which were walkable back then 15,000 years ago. The southerners became the southeast asians, polynesians malays and austroloids.

There were a couple of other migrations out of africa too, one of them mixed with the remnants of the "desi" migrations in the Iranian Plateu and formed the begining of the Caucasus Asian aka Cauc-asian aka europids. The Europids moved northwest into Europe.

Now there were also obviously tribes that moved BACK further into africa. These would be the Africans.

According to this figure southern indians are austroloids, or polynesian types perhaps. I wonder what DNA testing would produce. Really extensive testing that is, not the handfuls of samples they have taken so far.

Note also that these arrows represent migratory journeys, between these paths obviously interbreeding and hybredization has also taken place. And I believe there should also be some reverse arrows representing back migration too which appear to be missing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>