Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 54>
Author
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist
    Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:27

Well what is next? will you attack indians too? why dont you just show respect others, instead of accusing them with this things.

Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:29

Originally posted by Mortaza

well what is next? will you attack indians too? why dont you just show respect others, instead of accusing them with this things.

I have the right to speak my mind, as long as i don't encourage rasism, intolerance and killings. I have the right to tell my truths, that are open to be contradicted, if someone is able to do that.

Il n'y a que les imbciles et les huitres qui adhrent - Paul Valry
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:30
oh, didn't work

as yet ....

Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:39

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4675462.stm

Mr Rasmussen said the issue has gone beyond Denmark to become a clash between Western free speech and Islamic taboos.

In Jordan, an independent tabloid, al-Shihan, reprinted three of the cartoons on Thursday, saying people should know what they were protesting about.

In a separate article, the newspaper's editor, Jihad Momani, urged the world's Muslims to "be reasonable" in their response to the drawings.

The paper's publishers sacked him hours later over the "shock" he had caused, Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.

Edited by Boztorgay
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:43

That's natural, brother, from p.r.c. perspective is totally right.

Well, i begin to unerstand why democracy and science were born in west and not in china . . .  the chinese people simply love more the "stability" of opression and lies, than the instability of freedom and truth.

[/QUOTE]

Though it is abit off topic... For Chinese (regardless PRC, ROC, or traditional dynasty) politic "Fv" means management of everything that concerns about the masses.

The supreme goal of "Politic":

Provide the masses with the nessesities of lives, prevent them from starvation, shield them from natural disaster, give them a good lives and chances to continue the family line. And without against the above principles, protect the nation from the invasion, war and internal conflicts.

The Democracy, freedom of speech or what not:

Are only part of the "methods" to achieve these politcal goals. If the method could not achieve such things, it should be abandoned. If you belive the democracy or the freedom of speech is the supreme measure of everything... then you are treating them as a religion, not a poltical theory.

The top priorities of Chinese from both sides of strait (mind you, I lived in Taipei), are the well-being of our lives, the perservation of our culture, and lastly... the national strength. If both PRC and ROC government could provide us with that... we don't care what kind of political system they use. If they failed to achieve such goal, then the Chinese people will overthrow them, simple as that.

Overthrowing a unfit regime is nothing new in Chinese history. And in the most of time, our government was not run by some Senate which only rich people or big families had the chance to get in, we used examination or other selecting system to ensure our state was run by able literatis.

Edited by Dream208
Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 17:52
Originally posted by Dream208

That's natural, brother, from p.r.c. perspective is totally right.

Well, i begin to unerstand why democracy and science were born in west and not in china . . .  the chinese people simply love more the "stability" of opression and lies, than the instability of freedom and truth.

Though it is abit off topic... For Chinese (regardless PRC, ROC, or traditional dynasty) politic "Fv" means management of everything that concerns about the masses.

The supreme goal of "Politic":

Provide the masses with the nessesities of lives, prevent them from starvation, shield them from natural disaster, give them a good lives and chances to continue the family line. And without against the above principles, protect the nation from the invasion, war and internal conflicts.

The Democracy, freedom of speech or what not:

Are only "part" of the method to achieve these politcal goals. If the method could not achieve such things, it should be abandoned. If you belive the democracy or the freedom of speech is the supreme measure of everything... then you are treating them as a religion, not a poltical theory.

The top priorities of Chinese from both sides of straight (mind you, I lived in Taipei), is the well-being of our lives, the perservation of our culture, and lastly... the national strength. If both PRC and ROC government could provide us with that... we don't care what kind of political system they use. If they failed to achieve such goal, then the Chinese people will overthrow them, simple as that.

Overthrowing a unfit regime is nothing new in Chinese history. And in the most of time, our government was not run by some Senate which only rich people or big families had the chance to get in, we used examination or other selecting system to ensure our state was run by able literatis.

Yes, i agree with the general idea of your answer. But humans need freedom too; after the moment in which some basic needs are meet or more prob. in the same time. In your list, freedom doesn't appear. The experience of european history sows that without freedom, at some point in the evolution of a society, the things will go bad.  And all this time till this moment, the people still will suffer for not having full freedom (that's not anarchy). stuffing paunch isn't all for humans . . .

Edited by Boztorgay
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 18:14

It is fine to have freedom, but the past and present experiences told us nothing could go well if goes too extreme.

The way I see this case: it is a trade-off between "freedom of press for this cartoon" and "EU-Muslim conflicts & recentments". And I believed the later represented much worse result than a restriction toward this particular cartoon.

Edited by Dream208
Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 18:29

It is fine to have freedom, but the past and present experiences told us nothing could go well if goes too extreme.

The way I see this case: it is a trade-off between "freedom of press for this cartoon" and "EU-Muslim conflicts & recentments". And I believed the later represented much worse result than a restriction toward this particular cartoon.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8812& ; ; ;PN=1&TPN=2

I not dispute that the west was he too "backward". I, for one, have no problems: know very well his history . . . . in fact important is not that west is "advanced" and others "backward", but to get a method that all live toghether without the errors of the past. It seems evident for me, that the west (maybe less U.S.) get this method, but muslim world not. They want us to trade pace for freedom; but we know (well, some of us) that this in long term, means slavery. It is exactly denying our peace. Of course, there is some losers that prefer to do the same errors the west made with hitler too, apeasement, but, hopefuly not all the people in west are of this type.

Edited by Boztorgay
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:04

When will you people understand that freedom means you take the good with the bad?

Frankly, this was a major test for Muslims in Europe and they've failed horribly. If they cant accept something so basic as freedom of press/speech when will they??

I;d rather the Muslims stay in their own countries if they cant take mere name calling.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:01

Originally posted by Mira

Originally posted by Maju

Reporters Without Borders said the reaction in the Arab world "betrays a lack of understanding" of press freedom as "an essential accomplishment of democracy."

mention the deliberate targetting of reporters in Iraq by US forces.

So American forces are deliberatelly targetting Iraqi reporters and killing them? For what purpose? Lets get real, where did you get this information?

Everyone, if people who live in the middle east do not have freedom of speach themselves, how can we try to convince them of what freedom of speach is? They do not have freedom of speach, so we cannot expect them to understand it.

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:35

To Boz:

It is not the matter who's more advanced or how should we avoid past failure, it is the matter what do you weight between the harm caused by sanctioning this cartoon and the harm for let it go loose.

To Loknar:

As I pointed out in the previous post, if you can't bear Muslim communities' boycotting or flag burning, you can not expect them to bear your name calling and insults.

To Strategos:

By your concept, you can not understand the importance of religion in Muslim culture neither. First, I don't think insults has anything to do with the freedom of press. Second, it is ignorant to assume no one in Muslim world understnad your concept of freedom of speech.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:36

The reactions of the forumers to this issue may reflect the alarming reality of the world out there - almost all the forumers from "the West", be they "liberal" or "conservative", "left" or "right", "theist" or "atheist" - are united in their opinion against the reaction of the Muslim countries to the cartoons; while almost all the forumers from Muslim countries, be they "liberal" or "conservative", "left" or "right", religious or secular -  are also united in their opinion against the cartoons.

It is clear that when it comes to the definition and interpretation of the "freedom of expression", there is a huge and unbridgeable gap between the West and the Muslims. It is VERY alarming, VERY alarming indeed.

Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:42

It is not the matter who's more advanced or how should we avoid past failure, it is the matter what do you weight between the harm caused by sanctioning this cartoon and the harm for let it go loose.

Yes, it is very important how do you weight these possibilities: with what historical background in mind; i've already spoken about the similiarities of muslim demands and early hitler claims. he exactly attacked first the press freedom to the very begining. simptomatically . . .

Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 21:58

To Boz:

Though I think you are over-exaggerated abit, I knew too little about current Europe to analyze what kind of affects might result from sanctioing of that cartoon. However, the conflict and anger of Muslim communities are the immediate result, while I don't expect sanctioning will do any immediate heavy damage to the press of freedom of Europe.

I have a small online game community, most of friends are from Germany, Turky and rest of Europe (of course also few Chinese like me). It sadden me to see them fight over such issues...

Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:10

they fear muslims are going to force them to read the qor'an.

but hey, reading a book won't hurt you, unless you have eye problems.

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:33

To Boz:

Though I think you are over-exaggerated abit, I knew too little about current Europe to analyze what kind of affects might result from sanctioing of that cartoon. However, the conflict and anger of Muslim communities are the immediate result, while I don't expect sanctioning will do any immediate heavy damage to the press of freedom of Europe.

You have been defending freedom and democracy as means, yet we see them as goals. They are a "religion", as you say: a religion over any religion or ideology. If I have to say what is absolute good, probably the first word will be freedom, then truth and finally social justice or solidarity.

Freedom is much more important than oil or world stability. We can burn coal or build tidal energy plants, we can die fighting for freedom but we can't replace our freedom with a prayer.

Better dead than slave!

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:36
Originally posted by Alborz

they fear muslims are going to force them to read the qor'an.

but hey, reading a book won't hurt you, unless you have eye problems.

Funnily enough the Quran says nothing about representing Muhammed or even Allah. It just says that Allah (God) can't be expressed (done justice) by any art.

It's all about those Hadiths (post-Quranic doctrines).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:38

Personnally, I'm a Moslem, but not from a western or a Moslem society.

These discussions give an impression that Most stupid westerners think that the Moslem's can't understand the freedom of speech, as they are not from a democratic society, while ignoring the fact people from a society that lacks freedom cherish freedom more than people from a society that is fully free. 

They are ignorant about Islam, and the diffrence between the cultures. they think "We can press your mother mockingly in naked in our newpaper, because it is our freedom of expression, and you shouldn't be felt offended." While Moslims think that there should be limit for freedom of speech, so that you can't insult other people under the pretex of it.

They also think you can do anything if only you don't physically hurt someone, while Moslims think that what people need not only the pysical comfort, you should also consider their mental comfort. Insulting is different from criticizing.   

They think their freedom of speech is sacred, and people shouldn't raise question about it, while they are insulting someone who Moslims think sacred.

Now I have seen the true face of Westerners.

Either make a history or become a history.
Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:38

To Boz:Though I think you are over-exaggerated abit, I knew too little about current Europe to analyze what kind of affects might result from sanctioing of that cartoon. However, the conflict and anger of Muslim communities are the immediate result, while I don't expect sanctioning will do any immediate heavy damage to the press of freedom of Europe.I have a small online game community, most of friends are from Germany, Turky and rest of Europe (of course also few Chinese like me). It sadden me to see them fight over such issues...

The immediate result may be less important than the long term result; read a good biography of hitler. But more important, follow the political evolution concerning islam in western europe; country by country; just the press; though i can't say i know english, french or german, i can understand at least all this languages; there is a serious concern, but unfortunately only recently appeared in the conscience of europeans, that all the old small concessions made in order to accomodate islamic population to their host countries was in fact counterproductive and a treason of the values these authorities cherish; as Jack Lang, said about himself, they was stupid naives. Generation III and II of muslims in France and Europe, still have problems accepting tolerance and the communities became more endogam, specially the women. germany and scandinavians asissted to some honour killings, great britan is for long accustomed to forced marriages, and the islamic dogma inspire the youth with a sort of messianic superiority that say the west is roten, the future is islam's. There is, sure, a lot of culpability of europeans too, but the idea is not to search for gulity, but to try to change the trend; and for that, appeasment is of no avail other than fueling the fanaticism or just naivity of this segment of european population. The freedom of the press, is central; is the revealing test. the catholic church (and some protestant theocraties) have supressed long periods of time this freedom and many other personal freedoms. It's a very sensitive subject for europeans; they were like muslims of today, enslaved and uninformed, but the reverse isn't valid.  Actually what is the dispute here? Is about a religious tabu; by definition, religious tabu offer by himself no rational explanation or argument. These people if free and educated in a tolerant environment, and informed about all the void a religion is (and chinese, from my experience here in canada, knows best that), will sure laugh of themselves. How can these dictators of arab league, that presumably know enough history, history of religion, some sociology, psycholgy, anthropology notions, and that act politically for decades as knowing that there is no god, can be so hypocritical to do such a move?

Edited by Boztorgay
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:45
Originally posted by barbar

Personnally, I'm a Moslem, but not from a western or a Moslem society.

These discussions give an impression that Most stupid westerners think that the Moslem's can't understand the freedom of speech, as they are not from a democratic society, while ignoring the fact people from a society that lacks freedom cherish freedom more than people from a society that is fully free. 

They are ignorant about Islam, and the diffrence between the cultures. they think "We can press your mother mockingly in naked in our newpaper, because it is our freedom of expression, and you shouldn't be felt offended." While Moslims think that there should be limit for freedom of speech, so that you can't insult other people under the pretex of it.

They also think you can do anything if only you don't physically hurt someone, while Moslims think that what people need not only the pysical comfort, you should also consider their mental comfort. Insulting is different from criticizing.   

They think their freedom of speech is sacred, and people shouldn't raise question about it, while they are insulting someone who Moslims think sacred.

Now I have seen the true face of Westerners.

Ive often wondered how Islam can thrive for so long under that dont ask dont doubt attitude because the West would be ripped apart. In Islam it seems to me that every man that has doubts wont speak up for fear of the man to his right or left and so on and so forth, so how many faithful followers are there really? If  everyones gonna hide their doubts, Seems like a nation of un-enlightenment and fear.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 54>