Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist
    Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 11:53
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The whole debate can be summed up by a parable.

Two kids are in a playground. One kid walks up to the other, and says something he knows will infuriate the other. The second kid as expected gets angry and trys to come up with an equal insult. The first kid, knowing he has the upper hand says "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me". The second boy thinks for a second, and then says "Well if you insist" he then picks up a stick and gives the first boy a good wallop. The first boy runs off crying to the teacher "He hit me, He hit me", the teacher asks "What did you do to him?", the boy says "nothing, he just likes hitting people". For the rest of lunch the first boy stays near the teacher incase the second boy comes back.

Lol. That's a good analogy.

It is not: beacuse we are not talking about kids. In our society, verbal injuries may or not be a misdeamanor or even a crime but they are not comparable with physical violence in any case.

Are you saying that you usually behave like little children?

In that case you must grow up.

The case is more:

Olaf - Look this is your dad (caricature)
Ali - Buah!

Ali goes to Olaf's elder brother, Leif, and complains.

Leif says it's not his bussiness

Ali claims that Leif apologizes

Leif sends him away

Ali then goes to his brother Omar and his friends, Ahmed and Hassan, who go to Leif and ask for an apology, bullying Olaf in the way and threatening him with a knife.

Leif and his friends, Henri, Gunther and Flavio, say: "You guys are going to far"

Ali and Omar say that "nobody mocks their father". Leif and his friends say: "nobody threats us with a knife".

And then there are two options:
a - war breaks lose
b - Ali, Omar and co. learn to live with people that don not care about their father's aspect, honor or whatever but do care about knifes.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:27

Two kids are in a playground. One kid walks up to the other, and says something he knows will infuriate the other. The second kid as expected gets angry and trys to come up with an equal insult. The first kid, knowing he has the upper hand says "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me". The second boy thinks for a second, and then says "Well if you insist" he then picks up a stick and gives the first boy a good wallop. The first boy runs off crying to the teacher "He hit me, He hit me", the teacher asks "What did you do to him?", the boy says "nothing, he just likes hitting people". For the rest of lunch the first boy stays near the teacher incase the second boy comes back.

Lol. That's a good analogy.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:26
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I m really tired of this madness!!!
53 pages and 50 other threads to explain the self-evident and obvious!
Freeeeeeeedom!!!
(william Wallace)
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:06

Originally posted by Maju

Maju wrote:

Most Muslims in this very forum seem to justify the assasination of Theo van Gogh or the persecution of Salman Rushdie, to mention the best known examples.

I dont. They are/weren't people who I like, both were out to find trouble, one found it. If your action is to insult someone, a lot of people might ignore you, one or two wont. If you go looking for trouble, 9 times out of 10, you will find it. It's simple knowledge that everyone knows, in every part of the world, every nation.

That's why it is impossible to argue this with a Muslim: you seem to believe that whatever reason you may have (if you do) it allows you to kill the oponent.

Obviously that can only bring war.

Well, I've already said either shouldnt be murdered in my opinion, but if they go looking for trouble like they have, they'll probably find it - i think I wrote it clear enough before, obviously not. Good luck in your swashbuckling adventures in cyberworld.

Look: WE, IN EUROPE, are used to be able to critizy, mock and even blasphemate about religion. If there is something that is not "sacred", that is precisely religion (and politics).

There's already examples in Greece and Germany where religious mocking has been punished. I havent looked for Denmark, though a law does exist and someone is reviewing this now, however, the paper can do what it wants, the people can protest/boycott the country, as they like. If there's a law that outlaws incitement or hatred  to its minorities it should be applied, if not, people can just protest, which is what has happened. Perhaps there's a double standard in the law, but I doubt people want to change any laws.

So WE DON'T ACCEPT that some recent inmigrants from Talibanistan come with their barbaric ideas and try to impose their sickness in our culture. If in Talibanistan it is forbidden to draw the ugly face of Mohamed, fine. I'll try not to visit your barbaric country, where I haven't lost anything. But IN MY COUNTRY, you respect MY LAWS!

IS IT CLEAR?  

Feel free to not visit. So, Hindus are sick for demanding they withdraw a stamp that they feel insults them in Britain?

We just don't have to bear that you come patronizing me that we "have been looking for trouble", like a dinosaur judge that puts the blame in the vctim of the rape for using miniskirt.

Well the pair you mentioned were looking for trouble. If you go out, stand in a busy street, pick out women at random and slap their backsides, sooner or later one of their partners is going to assault you. Try it, if you dont believe me. Why? - it doesnt hurt the woman physically, it's because it's offensive.

We will keep looking for trouble if by that you mean expressing our feelings the way we want. We will keep dressing in miniskirt and drawing caricautres of Mohammed and Allah himself.

So what?!  

Feel free to dress in miniskirts, Maju, I dont mind what you do. You can draw what you like, and others can protest/boycott how they like.

We will keep wrting the suras of the Quran on the dirtiest folds of our skin. We will keep drinking wine with our backs looking to Mecca. We will eat pork and will never be circumcised. We will spit on the Quran and the Bible and recite loudly:

Allah is small... and she has no prophets.

So what!

Are you going to kill me? Fine: I'm waiting...

No, I'm off to the gym actually.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 04:12

Oh, this is deep!!! What's that supposed to mean? Did it looked like kids where those that burned the flags and ravaged the buildings? Or am I expected to believe that those people are behaving like kids, therefore they shouldn't be held responsible for their deeds?

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 02:47

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 02:31

Alot of people supporting the Danish cartoons do not neccesarily support the actual cartoon,but they do not want to give in to the fear that you cannot talk about Islam without bomb threats. We all know in the West if you speak out against anything about Islam you have a chance to be bombed.

The printers accomplished what they wanted to do. They exposed the backwardness of the current islamic world, by bringing out senseless bombings of embassies and killings.

Church bombings and flag burnings of countries such as america who have nothing to do with the cartoons, what sense does this make?

I agree. But you can't judge womens rights by the amount of clothing they wear

How would you like to wear all those clothes in the desert eh?

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 01:47

You are of course, correct, being the contemporary of Pythagoras himself. Ye must oft knowen about yon attack on fellow professor by doth Christian fundamentalists, has ye not?

Christian Fundamentalists Attack College Professor in Kansas

How does your handy list of Christian-smearing even compare with the current global issue of Islamo-fascism, which has caused the deaths of many people and the destruction of property? 

What you showed was an list of isolated incidents of "violence" carried out by so-called Christians.  Anyone can see that their actions are not condoned in the New Testament, which is the basis for the Christian faith.  If they call themselves Christians, than by the Word of God their actions are condemned and they are living unrepentent in sin.  I would question the sincerity of their relationship with Christ.

And, before you jump to the rediculous analogy that the Old Testament advocates violence and that so-called Christians therefore justify violent outbursts, look at your other list of Bible verses that you posted.  There is a clear difference in the way that God chose to interact with man from the Old Testament to the New.  In the Old, he was a God of judgement and vengeance, and demanded that the Hebrews follow the Law in order that their lives would be different from non-Jews.  They were punished with death if they strayed and they were rewarded with military successes and safety if they obeyed.  In the New Testament, God is still the judge but he provided an all-atoning sacrifice through Christ.  The death that would result from not accepting God's gift was not immediate physical death (like in the Old Testament), but spiritual death in the afterlife.  He also established a new covenant with those who would believe in Christ, which emphasized living a holy life, compassion, and love for one another.  In the early period, before Christianity became wound up with imperial politics and was institutionalized under Constantine I, it's spread was facilitated by the humility and perseverence of its preachers, the excellent Roman road system, and the Greek language.  It was not spread through violent coercion and the sword.

In Christianity's history, ideas and institutions like the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition were man-made. The Scriptures do not condone or even propose anything like them. The Reformation brought the church out of the darkness of the middle ages and centered it around the New Testament teachings of Christ, which leave no loopholes for substantiating religious violence and conversions by the sword.

Nothing short of a collective epiphany and then a reformation will bring the Muslim world out of the shadow that it is in. In fact, there would have to be a re-writing of parts of the Koran. It is demanded of fundamentalist (believing in every literal word) Muslims that they believe the words of the prophet. How can they account for the proclamation that the World must be brought into the dar-al-Islam by force if necessary, and that non-Muslims should be treated with contempt as infidels? After all, doesn't Islam literally mean "submission?"

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 01:31
I'll bear my destiny with pride. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 23:46
Maju, I definitly understand where your coming from and how it eats at you, but please be careful with what you say. You contribute alot to these forums and wouldn't want to see you get a ban from a couple comments you make.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 23:15
Originally posted by Seko

Maju wrote:

Most Muslims in this very forum seem to justify the assasination of Theo van Gogh or the persecution of Salman Rushdie, to mention the best known examples.

I dont. They are/weren't people who I like, both were out to find trouble, one found it. If your action is to insult someone, a lot of people might ignore you, one or two wont. If you go looking for trouble, 9 times out of 10, you will find it. It's simple knowledge that everyone knows, in every part of the world, every nation.

That's why it is impossible to argue this with a Muslim: you seem to believe that whatever reason you may have (if you do) it allows you to kill the oponent.

How many muslims on these pages actually support the killing of those individuals mentioned above? I haven't read all of the posts in this thread but I haven't seen any that promote or even agree with such a stance. Even if I am wrong, this type of thinking is offensive. I find it offensive that some people on this page also think that muslims only want blood retribution at the slightest provocation. Get real. These kind of generalizations show that you are stubborn and that you want to belittle muslims.  

Seko. You haven't but many Muslim members have said that they +/- see with good eyes the persecution of Rushdie or the assasination of van Gogh. Just browse this topic upwards and you will see.

Not to mention that attacking so fiercely poor Denmark is a way of supporting those who have threatened the Danish caroonists.

But I'm not talking about Danish flags burning, a violent symbol that many Muslim forummers have adopted. But about explicit mentions of acceptance that van Gogh, Rushdie or other people who have challenged the taboos of Islam deserve death (and, in some cases, that they would gladly take care of them personally if the occasion was at hand).

I'm not accusing in vane: in these last days I have seen the truth about some apparently "cool" people. And the truth is that they would support Hitler if he wrapped himself in the green colors of Islam.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 23:03

Maju wrote:

Well, I've already said either shouldnt be murdered in my opinion, but if they go looking for trouble like they have, they'll probably find it - i think I wrote it clear enough before, obviously not. Good luck in your swashbuckling adventures in cyberworld.

Look: WE, IN EUROPE, are used to be able to critizy, mock and even blasphemate about religion. If there is something that is not "sacred", that is precisely religion (and politics).

So WE DON'T ACCEPT that some recent inmigrants from Talibanistan come with their barbaric ideas and try to impose their sickness in our culture. If in Talibanistan it is forbidden to draw the ugly face of Mohamed, fine. I'll try not to visit your barbaric country, where I haven't lost anything. But IN MY COUNTRY, you respect MY LAWS!

IS IT CLEAR?

We just don't have to bear that you come patronizing me that we "have been looking for trouble", like a dinosaur judge that puts the blame in the vctim of the rape for using miniskirt.

We will keep looking for trouble if by that you mean expressing our feelings the way we want. We will keep dressing in miniskirt and drawing caricautres of Mohammed and Allah himself.

So what?!

We will keep wrting the suras of the Quran on the dirtiest folds of our skin. We will keep drinking wine with our backs looking to Mecca. We will eat pork and will never be circumcised. We will spit on the Quran and the Bible and recite loudly:

Allah is small... and she has no prophets.

So what!

Are you going to kill me? Fine: I'm waiting...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 21:41

Maju wrote:

How many muslims on these pages actually support the killing of those individuals mentioned above? I haven't read all of the posts in this thread but I haven't seen any that promote or even agree with such a stance. Even if I am wrong, this type of thinking is offensive. I find it offensive that some people on this page also think that muslims only want blood retribution at the slightest provocation. Get real. These kind of generalizations show that you are stubborn and that you want to belittle muslims.  

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 21:04

The Danish publisher finally published an apology in the Arab papers. Fear rules again, but it probably wont be the end of it

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 18:32

Maju wrote:

Edited by TeldeIndus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 18:19
Maju wrote:

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:04

Edited by merced12
http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 13:27

Originally posted by Illuminati

Forcing anyone to do anything against their will is oppression. Given, there has to be certain limits in society. People can't just run around doing anything that comes into their mind. Laws should be liberal enough as to ensure safety in society,  while not subjecting anyone to oppressive treatment.

Forcing women to dress a certain way is the height of disgrace and oppression. Any man who does that is a coward, and not deserving of respect. To force a woman to do something when men aren't forcing similariy equal treatment upon themselves is unjust. Men and women are equal. Laws should reflect that.

Universal women's rights aren't there yet, and most cultures are still struggling with them. It's frustrating. I can't understand why anyone could be against equal rights for women.

I agree. But you can't judge womens rights by the amount of clothing they wear

well put

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 11:01

Or do some foreign powers wat to meddle in the affairs of Denmark with this silly excuse?

Do Hindus want to meddle in the affairs of Britain? If not, why protest the stamp with the Hindu man worshipping Mary?

I thought it was an Indian stamp.

No, it clearly states it's a British stamp.

]

Anyhow, who protested? British Hindu community or Indian foreign minister?

British Hindu community from what it seems - Isnt that a protest?

Anyhow,  a stamp is a government issued official document - it's as legal as coins or paper money. It's not any private action.

A stamp isnt a private action. It's available to the public like any newspaper is for public consumption. A Hindu receiving a letter with one of those stamps on it, might be feel offended or insulted once he/she receives the letter.

The Hindu stamp, however, is mild in comparison. If they stuck a picture of Ganesh taking a dump on the stamps, you would probably have irritated some BJP fundies around the world.

I'm pretty sure that you can find a zillion of Hindu iconography used for all kind of purposes from lamps (my parents have a lampt that is God Shiva dancing!) to caricatures and Aquarean marketing.

Get it through your head for the last time for God's sake! Keeping a lamp in your house is private - it has nothing to do with public life, nor will it affect anybody in public life. You can shout, scream, do whatever you want in your own home, and noone will give a damn.

It is public: the lamp was sold in a store opent to the mainstream public! It's much more public than a newspaper that is only read by a few people.

Ah! A lamp sold in a corner shop in Bilbao, is more public than a national newspaper that sells 150,000 copies each day and is quoted as being Denmark's highest circulation newspaper  

Also there is nothing wrong with showing Shiva dancing from what I know about Hinduism - there is nothing offensive about that - there is about sticking bombs in turbans - it's a stereotype which impinges on other people. If you cannot work out why, then you're not being impartial.

Get it through your head that a newspaper is a private bussiness! You damn ... !  

Sorry, but this is a completely clueless statement. I'm not being mean, i'm just stating fact, when a paper is placed on the newspaper stands for all to see and buy, it is for public consumption. 

Example:

This is the cover of a book. Nobody has protested to it (or, if they did, nobody cared much about them).

The Televisionary Oracle? What's so bad about that? I dont see a bomb in his head or any evidence even that is meant to be a Hindu God. It could be just a mythical creature. Silly example. Use the example of the stamps, it's much better.

Get used: people can blasphemate. It's a private matter.

If something is said in public, it's a public matter, not a private one.

I can for instance, get the Quran, rewrite it at pleasure and claim it's the true Holy Book and that I'm the true Prophet. You are free to believe me or not but you aren't free to cause me any agression.

You have no copyright over the Quran or Mohamed image.

There is no copyright - there are about 3,000 pictures of him on the internet already. The Quran has tried to be changed many times. Nothing has happened. However, when you draw offensive pictures suggesting that the leader of a religion is a terrorist and the people following that religion are terrorists, people have a right to feel offended, and indeed insulted.

You have no right to interfere with my freedom of expression.

By the same token you have no right to make people feel offended or insulted. To quote from elsewhere, words can incite hatred, inspire violence and create fear. When people use words in this way, it is facile to protest that they are merely expressing opinions. Their words cause real harm as well as offence.

Originally posted by Teldeindus

So, we can agree that protesting when insulted is normal, and people have the right to ask for certain things not to be made public. However, we're all against violence of any kind over this (which is perpetrated by a minority of 1.5 billion, probably for political purposes).

So what exactly do we disagree on?

That you minimize the violence attached to Islamist demands.

Most of the protests over the course of the last 4 months have been peaceful. Look up all the protests that have been carried out in the last 4 months and determine which have been violent, which have been peaceful, and about 99% of the protest marches went off without any violence.

I'm not worried at peaceful protests: I am worried at those peaceful protests being used to cover criminal activities like attacking consulates and (much worst) people like the Danish cartoonist.

You were originally saying that people have no right to protest and it was your obligation to insult them, but I digress, let's focus on your current position having shifted the goalposts out of the football stadium.

Attacking consulates is of course not right, people denounce, it even religious leaders, violence is what everyone is capable of, you yourself have been quite a cyber warrior of late, so it's clear if you push someone you can induce them to violence. From what I know, noone has attacked the cartoonist.

I am worried at the lack of respect for others that the average Muslim seems to show.

Mutual deja vu there

Does that mean that in order to preserve freedom of speech in our land (Europe), we have to forbid Islam?

You can do what you like mate, I dont really give a shyte.

Or are there Muslims who are willing to step ahead and defend the right of people to speak their minds even if they don't like what they say?

You can speak your mind, freely, say whatever you want, and people can protest and boycott you however they like if they dont like what you say.

So far only BgTurk among the many Muslims in this forum has stepped ahead to defend the right of freedom of speech, while many others have been promoting the agression to Denmark - and that is: Europe and Human Rights via their banners.

BgTurk etc can say what they like, it doesnt make em right, or you right. My own personal view is that everyone has a right to freedom of speech so long as it does no harm to other people. I think these cartoons did stereotype people, they did offend people, so I dont think you can say it was freedom of speech, but freedom to insult. It's a matter of opinion. If you feel this is alright, I respect it, but then you should respect any protest or boycott performed to demonstrate the freedom to express outrage at being offended.

Islamists first threat, then kill and then whim and made up a excuse.

A couple have threatened, I condemn them. The 20-30 deaths that have happened as a result of this have mainly been due to rioting, and confrontations with police, but again a lot of these have been politically motivated.

So in front of death threats, the cartoons even if of bad taste have gained legitimacy: they have become an expression of freedom and the right to express over any violent menace - which is very real: van Gogh, 2 translators of Rushdie, among others have been killed by those Islamic fanatics.

Nope, they havent gained any legitimacy. Even Jyllands-Posten have apologized for it. I dont like the cartoons, I do like the majority of the peaceful protests (though I think the message is clear now), I dont like the small minority of protests that have had violence. 

Alright, carry on then. It's not the solution though. And the cartoons arent freedom of expression, as you clearly suggest in the next sentence of yours. However, I found this well written and researched piece by the BBC.

"On one side of the argument are those for whom freedom of speech is sacrosanct. They argue that it is the mark of the civilised society that renegade voices are heard and defeated only by rational debate, not by gagging. -EDIT - THIS is you (minus the last part as you dont want rational debate).

On the other side lie those for whom it is non-negotiable that all members of society, whatever their skin colour, nation of origin, ethnicity, sexuality or beliefs, are granted equal respect. Prejudice has no place in the public sphere, and that includes the sphere of public discourse. - EDIT - These are ultra-liberals. 

What both views gloss over is that in real life there are difficult cases. We may yearn for a simple principle that tells us what is right or wrong in every case, but such principles do not exist. We must be prepared to grapple with the complexity of the world and the competing demands of sometimes incompatible values.

Consider freedom of speech. Hardly anyone actually supports unrestricted freedom to say what we want - EDIT (-except you!). Many of those defending Kilroy-Silk, for example, would be horrified by the extreme freedom of speech in Denmark, where pro-paedophile groups are allowed to speak with impunity. This would be a freedom too far.

But why? In his classic defence of liberty, John Stuart Mill distinguished between offence and harm. We cannot stop people doing or saying anything simply because it offends us. Too many people are offended by too many different things. We should only constrain the liberty of others if what they do causes harm."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3398887.stm

I strongly disagree with your "edits". The ones that say that there's no room for prejudice in the public discourse are not "liberals" (In what sense: Europe or US speech?)... they are a new brand of fascists.

A liberal would say: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it", because that liberty.

Alright, and a liberal would also say that they were free from bigotry, prejudices and what not. As an example, liberals tend to be very politically correct people, they dont want to say words to offend, but regardless of how you want to define it, you fit the first group as I said.

The last paragraph, quoting Stuart Mill, is pretty clear.

The last paragraph is pretty clear, yes. Here it is for you again.

But why? In his classic defence of liberty, John Stuart Mill distinguished between offence and harm. We cannot stop people doing or saying anything simply because it offends us. Too many people are offended by too many different things. We should only constrain the liberty of others if what they do causes harm.

Interestingly, the article goes onto say

Power of words

Champions of freedom of speech tend to assume too quickly the "sticks and stones" principle: that words can only ever cause offence, never harm, and so freedom of speech is absolute.

Seconds out... another round in the on-going free speech bout. But as another philosopher, JL Austin, pointed out, we do not just communicate thoughts and ideas with words, we can actually do things with them. A priest, for example, can make two people married by saying "I now pronounce you man and wife".

Words can incite hatred, inspire violence and create fear. When people use words in this way, it is facile to protest that they are merely expressing opinions. Their words cause real harm as well as offence.

This is why we rightly limit the freedom of people to utter hate speech. Racist words can make people live in fear. Homophobic rantings can legitimise discrimination. Sexist words can buttress sexist practice. It is not "political correctness" to stop people using words to harm others, it is simply fairness and justice.

We just can't put our pants down: we must fight back! And we are fighting back by saying: you threat, you kill... but you won't shut us up, you are just throwing stones against your own roof.

I havent seen or heard of anyone killed in the West by these cartoons. There's been trouble instigated by people to gain political mileage and win some points on those in government, but if you think it's over the cartoons you're just barking up the wrong tree.

There's been non-Muslims killed in northern Nigeria as "ethnic revenge". So the victims aren't anymore Muslims killed by their own authocratic governments.

There's always riots in Nigeria. I havent read much about these ones I will do though. There were riots over the Miss World competition being held there. All the more reason for not holding it there.

But, while the cartoons aren't yet behind any murder, outside this Nigerian pogrom of Christians, their authors and those who have dared to reproduce them are under credible life threats. Many have gone into hiding and have got police protection - what definitively is too much for a drawing and an opinion.

Well his opinion was that Muslims were all terrorists, so perhaps it's karma.

Also, we can't forget that this case isn't but another case of Muslim intimidation of authors. First they attacked Rushdie and killed two of the translators of his Satanic Verses, then they killed van Gogh and attacked Hirsi Ali, and now they dare to attack a whole nation on a stupid caricature.
Islamist greed has no bounds and must be bounded.

Yep, you've mentioned Rushie for the third time from 16 years ago. Oh..and there's Van Gogh too, nearly missed that one. Yes, yes, I dont think he should have been murdered, I do think he went looking for trouble and it found him. From what I know, Denmark has not been attacked, some people will boycott their products, some will not, states have not imposed any sanctions on them, it is another form of freedom of expression.

Edited by TeldeIndus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 09:48

From what I know, the complaint was done logically in the Muslim case, but the Danish prime minister refused to meet the amabassadors. Then everything snowballed for some reason.

Why should the Danish PM meet any ambassador on a civil issue that affects only and exclussively segments of the Danish society?

To logically negotiate, and try and find some common ground.

To negotiate what?

Or do some foreign powers wat to meddle in the affairs of Denmark with this silly excuse?

Do Hindus want to meddle in the affairs of Britain? If not, why protest the stamp with the Hindu man worshipping Mary?

I thought it was an Indian stamp. Anyhow, who protested? British Hindu community or Indian foreign minister?

Anyhow,  a stamp is a government issued official document - it's as legal as coins or paper money. It's not any private action.

The Hindu stamp, however, is mild in comparison. If they stuck a picture of Ganesh taking a dump on the stamps, you would probably have irritated some BJP fundies around the world.

I'm pretty sure that you can find a zillion of Hindu iconography used for all kind of purposes from lamps (my parents have a lampt that is God Shiva dancing!) to caricatures and Aquarean marketing.

Get it through your head for the last time for God's sake! Keeping a lamp in your house is private - it has nothing to do with public life, nor will it affect anybody in public life. You can shout, scream, do whatever you want in your own home, and noone will give a damn.

It is public: the lamp was sold in a store opent to the mainstream public! It's much more public than a newspaper that is only read by a few people.

Get it through your head that a newspaper is a private bussiness! You damn ... !

Example:

This is the cover of a book. Nobody has protested to it (or, if they did, nobody cared much about them).

Get used: people can blasphemate. It's a private matter.

I can for instance, get the Quran, rewrite it at pleasure and claim it's the true Holy Book and that I'm the true Prophet. You are free to believe me or not but you aren't free to cause me any agression.

You have no copyright over the Quran or Mohamed image.

You have no right to interfere with my freedom of expression.

So, we can agree that protesting when insulted is normal, and people have the right to ask for certain things not to be made public. However, we're all against violence of any kind over this (which is perpetrated by a minority of 1.5 billion, probably for political purposes).

So what exactly do we disagree on?

That you minimize the violence attached to Islamist demands.

Most of the protests over the course of the last 4 months have been peaceful. Look up all the protests that have been carried out in the last 4 months and determine which have been violent, which have been peaceful, and about 99% of the protest marches went off without any violence. [/quote]

I'm not worried at peaceful protests: I am worried at those peaceful protests being used to cover criminal activities like attacking consulates and (much worst) people like the Danish cartoonist.

I am worried at the lack of respect for others that the average Muslim seems to show. Most Muslims in this very forum seem to justify the assasination of Theo van Gogh or the persecution of Salman Rushdie, to mention the best known examples.

Does that mean that in order to preserve freedom of speech in our land (Europe), we have to forbid Islam? Or are there Muslims who are willing to step ahead and defend the right of people to speak their minds even if they don't like what they say?

So far only BgTurk among the many Muslims in this forum has stepped ahead to defend the right of freedom of speech, while many others have been promoting the agression to Denmark - and that is: Europe and Human Rights via their banners.

Islamists first threat, then kill and then whim and made up a excuse. So in front of death threats, the cartoons even if of bad taste have gained legitimacy: they have become an expression of freedom and the right to express over any violent menace - which is very real: van Gogh, 2 translators of Rushdie, among others have been killed by those Islamic fanatics.

Alright, carry on then. It's not the solution though. And the cartoons arent freedom of expression, as you clearly suggest in the next sentence of yours. However, I found this well written and researched piece by the BBC.

"On one side of the argument are those for whom freedom of speech is sacrosanct. They argue that it is the mark of the civilised society that renegade voices are heard and defeated only by rational debate, not by gagging. -EDIT - THIS is you (minus the last part as you dont want rational debate).

On the other side lie those for whom it is non-negotiable that all members of society, whatever their skin colour, nation of origin, ethnicity, sexuality or beliefs, are granted equal respect. Prejudice has no place in the public sphere, and that includes the sphere of public discourse. - EDIT - These are ultra-liberals. 

What both views gloss over is that in real life there are difficult cases. We may yearn for a simple principle that tells us what is right or wrong in every case, but such principles do not exist. We must be prepared to grapple with the complexity of the world and the competing demands of sometimes incompatible values.

Consider freedom of speech. Hardly anyone actually supports unrestricted freedom to say what we want - EDIT (-except you!). Many of those defending Kilroy-Silk, for example, would be horrified by the extreme freedom of speech in Denmark, where pro-paedophile groups are allowed to speak with impunity. This would be a freedom too far.

But why? In his classic defence of liberty, John Stuart Mill distinguished between offence and harm. We cannot stop people doing or saying anything simply because it offends us. Too many people are offended by too many different things. We should only constrain the liberty of others if what they do causes harm."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3398887.stm

I strongly disagree with your "edits". The ones that say that there's no room for prejudice in the public discourse are not "liberals" (In what sense: Europe or US speech?)... they are a new brand of fascists.

A liberal would say: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it", because that liberty.

The last paragraph, quoting Stuart Mill, is pretty clear.

We just can't put our pants down: we must fight back! And we are fighting back by saying: you threat, you kill... but you won't shut us up, you are just throwing stones against your own roof.

I havent seen or heard of anyone killed in the West by these cartoons. There's been trouble instigated by people to gain political mileage and win some points on those in government, but if you think it's over the cartoons you're just barking up the wrong tree.

There's been non-Muslims killed in northern Nigeria as "ethnic revenge". So the victims aren't anymore Muslims killed by their own authocratic governments.

But, while the cartoons aren't yet behind any murder, outside this Nigerian pogrom of Christians, their authors and those who have dared to reproduce them are under credible life threats. Many have gone into hiding and have got police protection - what definitively is too much for a drawing and an opinion.

Also, we can't forget that this case isn't but another case of Muslim intimidation of authors. First they attacked Rushdie and killed two of the translators of his Satanic Verses, then they killed van Gogh and attacked Hirsi Ali, and now they dare to attack a whole nation on a stupid caricature.
Islamist greed has no bounds and must be bounded.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>