Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the relation between Tibet and ming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the relation between Tibet and ming
    Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 14:22
What was the relation between Ming and tibet. can we say that Tibet was the subject of the Ming. At that time,  the political or religious titles of many tibet chief or religious leaders were grant by the Ming Emperor. Ming had a t Governor general of tibet, although tibet people were appointed to this post. But i am not quite sure. anyone tell me.
leung
tubo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote tubo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 00:27
Ming inherited tibet from the yuan dynasty.we were vasssals to ming though their authority was pretty non existent in central tibet.

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:05
But many people of Tibet did not want to recognize that.They say China"invade tibet" in 1949, before this. Tibet was an inpendent state.
leung
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:13
Originally posted by tommy

But many people of Tibet did not want to recognize that.They say China"invade tibet" in 1949, before this. Tibet was an inpendent state.

There's a difference between being a vassal and a part of the empire.

From what I gather Tibet was a vassal to the Ming and part of the empire of the Qing.

What happened after the Qing fell apart, I don't know.
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:17
after qing? a part of republic of china.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:19
Until the Chinese Civil war, in which they broke away from the Republic of China, only to be swallowed again by the People's republic of China.
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:23
what does broke away mean? tibet had been one of the big 5 nations in republic of china all along. and PRC was just to succeed.

Edited by sinosword
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:47
After the downfall of the the Qing Tibet seems to have been still a part of China, but it seems that in 1913 both Tibet and Mongolia signed a treaty delcaring their independence from China, although its sovereignity wasn't widely recognized.
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 21:14

so we will take outter mongolia back sooner or later. otherwise it seems unfair to our tibetan dudes.

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:13

Chinas just lucky the CIA didnt support the insurgency there earlier.

How many monastaries were destroyed?

sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 22:33
lol. actualy they did. after wiped out the tibetan insurgent army in 1980s, our soldiers found a lot of weapons such as M-16 and some communication systems which were supposed be transfered by US.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 01:42
Let's not get off-topic to modern Issues...

It seems like Tibet did have some relations as a vassal to the Ming, but I think the term "Vassal" may be used too loosly here, since vassals were very common. Vassals can also be derived solely from personal relationship between head of states rather than actual politics.

In any case, the Ming definately had less political control, if much at all, over Tibet than the Yuan and the Qing, both of which exerted influence over Tibet through appointment of rulers.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 06:27

Would it be fair to say that during Ming dynasty, Mongols had more authority than the Ming empire? Just wondering, given that there seems to have been quite a lot of meddling with Tibet's internal affairs by different Mongol rulers, not least the introduction of the title of Dalai Lama by Altan Khan.

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 13:46
Yes, but also interestingly is that Altan Khan was also a vassal of Ming, therefore indirectly Tibet is also a vassal of late Ming.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:47

Originally posted by honeybee

Yes, but also interestingly is that Altan Khan was also a vassal of Ming
LOL, being a vasall never stopped him from raiding the Chinese borderlands - OTOH at times, being in war with the ming didn't stop him from being a vasall

things are apparently not that easy. giving someone a nice title doesn't equal having any influence on him.

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 22:01
"LOL, being a vasall never stopped him from raiding the Chinese borderlands - OTOH at times, being in war with the ming didn't stop him from being a vasall

things are apparently not that easy. giving someone a nice title doesn't equal having any influence on him."

lol, I think you are confused here. Altan never raided Chinese border after he became a vassal, only before.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 19:44
I have deleted all off topic and hateful posts. Either you discuss the topic at hand politely, or you don't discuss at all.

I'm sorry that I had to delete some of your posts honeybee.  I needed to clean this particular thread up.  I hope to see you participating in this forum more often.  :]
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 23:19
Tibet lost its independece after Manchu conqured it. It regained it for a while untill communist take over
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 23:21
lol. do you think KMT wouldn't take tibet if they won CCP?
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 11:21
Originally posted by honeybee

lol, I think you are confused here. Altan never raided Chinese border after he became a vassal, only before.

Damn, you got me there.  Altan Khan was allowed to become a vasall in 1571, after decades of war with China. The Dalai Lama affair took place in the late 1570s. Altan Khan died in 1582 (or 1581?).

Anyway, one vasall meddling with another vasall's internal affairs without the liege having any say doesn't really sound as if either Tibetans or Mongolians accepted the Ming as masters.

On the other hand, Altan Khan's influence in Tibet was apparently much less than that of the Khoshuud some years later. No real surprise, given that he died only some years after the appointment of the Dalai Lama.

Post Reply Post Reply