Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The recipe thread (serious attempt)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The recipe thread (serious attempt)
    Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:00
 Another good pasta sauce

red pepper sauce

red bell peppers
grean pepper  (about 1 green to 4 red and 4 tomatoes) 
onion
fresh tomato
garlic
fresh basil
red wine
salt &pepper
olive oil
cream

Cherezo sausage(optional)

Cut peppers onion tomato into quaters brown a little in hot oil add garlic  about 1 cup red wine ( water if you prefer) cover with tight fitting lid and reduce heat to lowish cook until very soft about an hour stir occationally and add extra wine if nessessary.  when soft add basil and seasoning cook for  a few minutes then using a blender ( I like a stick blender) grind till veggies are med- fine  add cream ( and cooked sausage)and boil  few minutes until sauce thinkens abit  adjust seasoning  serve on pasta and top with cheese. 

Edited by Dawn - 08-Nov-2006 at 11:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:04

Dawn... wht is the purpose of red wine? Is it to make it sour? Sorry coz i really never drink liquor.. whtever type it is...

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:21
No Cahaya the red wine is just a flavour thing and to add moisture so the peppers don't burn. you can substitute water or better yet chicken stock.  On a side note though I am curious , I assume the wine is a problem because of your religion  would dealcholizied wine be acceptible? it is common here and some has a decent flavour. also by the time you boil the sauce all the alcohol will have burned off would that solve your problem? As I cook for many differant people it is kinds a proffesion thing to know what is acceptible for differant groups.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:38
Yes.. we muslim cant drink alcohol.. eventhough many of them do.. (duhh!!) lol.. but.. anyway.. forget about them..

Then maybe i replace with chicken stock or nonalcoholic wine.... but i prefer chicken stock.. yummy... red bell paper is it capsicum?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 22:42
Yes what I call a red pepper or red bell pepper is a large mild Capsicum
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 05:10
Cold Noodle Salad

Sauce (per person)
3 desert spoons soy sauce
3 desert spoons rice vinegar
2 desert spoons sesame oil
1/2 tea spoon sugar
top up jug to 100 ml

mix together and place in fridge.

Noodles
boil noodles until cooked, rinse in cold water until cold, then drain. Put noodle in bowl.

Salad

Place toppings on top of noodles. shredded cucumber, seaweed, pickled ginger, seasame seeds, shredded carrot, mange
tout ect.

Finally take sauce from fridge and pour over, noodles

Edited by Paul - 09-Nov-2006 at 05:16
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 05:14
Heres a fast food recipe.

Cook some rice in the microwave and leave covered.

Dice some carrots and potatos, put in jug and cover with water. Then microwave for 8 mins

Drain most of the water add a Japanese golden curry cube, stir in water till melted and microwave for one more minute.

Serve rice and curry on plate.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:53
Originally posted by cahaya

Dawn... wht is the purpose of red wine? Is it to make it sour? Sorry coz i really never drink liquor.. whtever type it is...

The alcohol evaporates pretty quickly when heated. Just don't berathe the fumes ;)

It adds a more intense flavour, as well as colour for some meals. Whether it sours or sweetens depends entirely on the wine.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 14:00
hello people...

anybody who knws or has recipe, how to make a yummylicious homemade pancakes.. share it with me.... please... dawn... morty... need some assistant here...
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:24

Agh...!!! I burnt my finger again!!

Yeah, I was going to ask the same question that cahaya was asking. Let me know as well, please.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:40
oh one more... scone recipe...
i need pancake and scone recipe...

I went to cameron highlands for 3 days vacation on new year eve... based on history the place was open by British during colonial time for tea plantation and many indian and sri lankan live there since that... most of the resort owners are indian christians and believe me.. they make delicious homemade scone and pancakes.. it'll be better if u have it with earl grey tea.. aahhh... yummy yummy...
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 02:57
Basic pancakes, any batter recipie should work. People will differ in how much milk/water to flour you use, or whether or not to use eggs and how many etc, or even if there should be extra yolk or eggwhite.
me, i just use pancake mix :p

This is a basic one (generic British style):
125 grams of plain flour
125 mls milk
1 egg
pinch of salt

Sieve the flour, add teh pinch of salt, then add the egg, and begin mixing, slowly and gradualy working them to gether to avoid lumps. Gradualy add half the milk, whilst continuously mixing, making sure the mixture stays smooth and not lumpy.
When its about as smooth as you think its gonna get, add the rest of the milk, and beat the mixture for about 5 minutes.
Now cook your pancakes.

Now, some points. Some people say its best to prepare the batter mix a day before cooking (this is especialy true for stuff like Yorkshire puddings). Whether this is important for pancakes or not, i can't say.
Also, whilst it is standard to cook pancakes in a prying pan over a stove, or even a special pancake pan (an extra shallow frying pan in essence), others say the best way is to actualy cook them in the oven or under the grill (especialy if you are doing a full pancake with meat and mushrooms or whatever).

Milk can be replaced with half milk/half water mixture, however, some milk is needed, as its the fat in the milk (even small amounts) that is important for the structure of the pancake.

For American style pancakes (or Scotch if you're not American), you add baking powder or even yeast to make them rise more. In Ireland, i believe American/Scotch pancakes are called 'drop scones'. Just thought i'd add that to confuse you all Tongue

In my sincire and humble opinion, the French and Dutch make th ebest pancakes. They are slightly different from the British style, but better suited for savoury snackes (as opposed to the sweet ones that are the norm in the UK).

I have an old cone recipe, but it uses medieval measurements i don;t under stand, and odd ingredients too.
But again there are so many varieties, your best bet is to just google some that catch your interest and try them.
Personaly i find them a bit dry for my taste, though cheese ones can be tasty.

Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 02:59
Incidnetly, the best subsitute for red wine in cooking is red wine viniger, or balsalmic viniger, depending on how sweet or sour you want it.
Arrrgh!!"
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 07:07
OK, I have tried to blend in a historical theme to my first recipe. I am a chocolate-lover, anything with chocolate is good (usually!). Therefore, here is the recipe for a traditional Aztec "Cacahuatl" (The original hot chocolate):

"Cacahuatl"

Ingredients/Materials:

1-2kg of Cocoa Beans
1 Manual Grinder (Pestle and Mortar)
Open wood fire/camp fire
Greaseproof Paper
Honey
Vanilla Beans
Chillies
Water
Pan like object
Mug/Cup

Method:
1. Roast the green cocoa beans over fire until 3/4 of them pop
2. Peel the hot beans quickly
3. Put the unpeeled beans into pestle and mortar, then grind to an oily paste
4. Lay out small piles of the oily paste on greaseproof paper and let sit overnight
5. Grind the resulting hard cocoa paste tablets in a pestle and mortar until a very fine powder
6. Chop up some chillies and soak in boiling water for 10 minutes or so
7. Add chilli water, vanilla beans and honey to powder mix in pan
8. Place back over fire and stir until mixture gets bubbly - then remove from flame a leave to cool for a few minutes
9. Continue this process over the flame a few times to aerate the chocolate
10. Pour into mug on completion of boil-cool-reboil process
11. Enjoy an traditionally made Aztec Cacahuatl

NOTE: It is an aqcuired, wierd taste - slightly bitter. I haven't included exact measurements; I'll leave them to you to accustom them according to your taste preferences! This recipe is open to interpretation and can be modified to suit you.

- Knights -

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 10:46
Cwyr's recipe will give you a basic Crepe style pancake. If you are looking for a more north americain style this should work but as with him I tend to use a mix as well:
mix together:
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tblesp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
 combine:
1 egg
1.75cup milk
2 tblsp veggie oil

mix together beating only enough to combine.  if batter thinkens thin with a little more milk.

or for something a little differant;
German Pancake

6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk, room temperature
1 cup sifted bread flour or all-purpose flour*
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

5 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. NOTE: It is very important that you preheat your oven. Place oven rack on the middle rack of your oven. Place a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan or a cast-iron skillet (I like to use my 10-inch cast-iron skillet), in the oven until hot and sizzling. While pan is heating, prepare your batter.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and frothy; add milk, flour, vanilla extract, and cinnamon; beat for 5 minutes more. The batter will be thin, but very smooth and creamy.

Using a pot holder, remove the hot skillet from the oven; add the butter; tilting the pan to melt the butter and coat the skillet. Pour the prepared batter into the hot skillet, all at once, and immediately return the skillet to the oven Bake approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown (bake until the pancake puffs up around the edges - it may puff irregularly in the center).

Remove from oven and serve immediately. Either bring the pancake to the table in its pan or slide it onto a serving plate. Once out of the oven, the pancake will begin to deflate.

To serve, cut into serving-size wedges and transfer to individual serving plates. Top with your favorite topping and serve immediately. For a classic German Pancake/Dutch Baby, sprinkle with freshly squeezed lemon juice, and dust the top with powdered sugar or chopped fruit and syrup.

as for scones this is the one I use most times

Recipe:

2 cups (280 grams) all purpose flour

1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (113 grams) (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces

2/3 cup (160 ml) buttermilk

Egg mixture for brushing tops of scones:

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in middle of oven.  Stack two baking sheets together and line the top baking sheet with parchment paper.  (This prevents the bottoms of the scones from over browning during baking.)

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.  Add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix the dough.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat, or roll, the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches (18 cm) round and about 11/2 inches (3.75 cm) thick. Cut this circle in half, then cut each half into 3 pie-shaped wedges (triangles).  Place the scones on the baking sheet.  Make an egg wash of one well-beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk and brush the tops of the scones with this mixture.

Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.   Remove from oven and then turn your broiler on high.  Sift confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar heavily over the tops of the scones and place them under the broiler.  Broil for just a few seconds, turning the pan as necessary, until the sugar has melted and turns golden brown.  Make sure to watch the scones carefully as the sugar will burn very quickly.   Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Now, some points. Some people say its best to prepare the batter mix a day before cooking (this is especialy true for stuff like Yorkshire puddings). Whether this is important for pancakes or not, i can't say.
The reason is to let the glutun in the flour relax. With yorkshires  you really develope it to catch the air and make them rise and letting them relax prevents them from being tough also allows the milk solids to distribute so they will crisp. The day before is not nessessary but first thing in the morning to serve that night is good practice. As to pancakes: it applies if you are making crepe style but not NA style as the baking powder will be used up. that is why you only mix them until they are just combined - as not to develope the glutun.

Edited by Dawn - 15-Jan-2007 at 10:59
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Cywr

I have an old cone recipe, but it uses medieval measurements i don;t under stand, and odd ingredients too.
But again there are so many varieties, your best bet is to just google some that catch your interest and try them.
Personaly i find them a bit dry for my taste, though cheese ones can be tasty.

this one I would love to see. Maybe together we can work out what those measurements would be.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 01:06

thanks to cywr and dawn... i really appreciate ur guys help..

honestly.. now, i only can try cywr's recipe as i dont have oven.. once i get one, i'll try dawn's.

hmm.. no wonder the pancake i ate in cameron highland was flat.. it's differ frm the pancakes in Dome cafe.. they use baking powder.. maybe they follow american style?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 07:32
this one I would love to see. Maybe together we can work out what those measurements would be.

I believe you use the same medieval measurements in Canada ;)
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 09:31
Ghee

Melt butter in pan, simmer gently for an hour, and strain through a cheese cloth. Store pure butter fat in a container and leave to cool.
Use for cooking.
So exellent and so easy to make, beats being ripped off by a supermarket.
Arrrgh!!"
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 22:07
sounds like what I would call Clarified Butter. wonderous stuff, not salty ,burns far less easily and tasted like butter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>