Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The recipe thread (serious attempt)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The recipe thread (serious attempt)
    Posted: 15-Mar-2012 at 17:27
Original Scotch Broth Recipes

Ingredients

2lb/1 kg lamb (or mutton)trimmed of fat
1 large chopped onion
1 large chopped leek
3oz/75g split peas
3oz/75g pearl parley
3 carrots pealed and diced
1 medium swede, peeled and diced
Water

Method

• Soak the peas and barley for an hour or so

• Rinse under cold water and drain

• In a large pot sweat the onion in a little butter or lard to soften

• Add the meat and cover with water

• Bring to the boil, and skim off the surface deposit

• Add the pre-soaked barley and peas

• Simmer for 30 minutes

• Add the remaining vegetables

• Continue simmering gently until just cooked.

• Remove the lamb bone, leave to cool

• Take meat off bone, chop it and return to the soup.

• Add parsley just before serving.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 22:22
This is my variation of one of my favorite Bulgarian egg recipes:
Panaguyrishte Style Eggs /Yaica po Panagyirski/

Ingredients:
2 eggs
I cup yogurt
1/2 stick butter
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4-1/2 bunch of parsley

I fry the eggs sunny side up in little butter, and remove them from the pan. Then I add the rest of the butter, and sprinkle paprika over it, just stir it and remove it from the fire. In a plate I pour the yogurt, even it out, then I pour half of the buttery/paprika mixture on it, then I place the eggs on the top, pour the rest of the butter on, and add parsley.

/The original recipe is for poached eggs, but I fry them sunny side up; it also have raw garlic, but I don;t use it here because it's not socially acceptable./
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 03:40
Will try it today.SmileMy empty stomach needs good surprises!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 22:21
I'm having for dinner the simplest dish ever, and yet with such sophisticated taste
Sauteed Broccoli

http://zaiqa.net/wp-content/uploads/2010jan/DSC0broccoli.png

Ingredients:

1 head broccoli
!-2 teaspoons olive oil
salt to taste

I cut the broccoli florets near to their branching /I save the stems, tomorrow will make a soup of them/ , and cut on half the bigger crowns; then I put the in microwaveable glass dish with the crowns down, plus salt, pout oil on them, cover and nuke for 3 minutes, only until the change their color to bright green; leave them in the microwave for 5 minutes and eat with only a slice of hearty Italian style bread.  They have wonderful nutty aroma, so I don't need to add any herbs to them.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 20:54
I know several variation of Bulgarian Chicken Fricassee, this one is my grandma's - the sauce is the body of the meal, not only sauce - I made one for dinner tonight. It's ideal for using leftovers of baked or stewed chicken /I don't like to eat the same meal more than twice in a row/.

Bulgarian White Chicken Fricassee
http://www.culinar.ro/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-30225-1277434905_thumb.jpg

Ingredients:
cooked chicken meat, cut of small pieces, or drain in threads, a cup or so - I use leftovers, so whatever is there
4-5 overfilled tablespoons flour
2 cups water
1/2 stick butter
black pepper, salt, 1/2 bunch parsley

I melt the butter in a pan, and add half of the flower, mixing it in an frying it in the butter until it reaches light brown color, then I start pouring water and mixing it up to smoothness. Then I mix the rest of the flour with the rest of the water, pour it in, add the chicken, pour it in a microwavable dish and nuke, not covered, for 15 minutes. Then I stir it well, add the parsley, cover and leave in the microwave for 5 minutes of the flavors to blend. It has to be little runny, as it becomes thicker when it cools. Then I serve it with crusty bread, pickles, and airan.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Mar-2012 at 21:01
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 08:43
I love this recipe as this was something my Father used to make years ago, and we all loved it.

Cauliflower Cheese Recipe

Cauliflower cheese is a quintessentially traditional British food. A cauliflower cheese recipe is so easy, and versatile - it appears throughout British food in various guises; an essential side dish at Sunday lunch, a delicious filling for a baked potato and sometimes, even encased in pastry as a pasty or quiche. 

Making Cauliflower Cheese makes the most of British cauliflowers which are not only cheap but available almost year round.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: Serves 6 as a side dish

Ingredients:

• 1 medium cauliflower (approx 1lb/450g)
  • 2 oz/ 55g butter
  • 2 oz/ 55g all purpose/plain flour
  • 1 level tsp mustard powder (optional)
  • Large pinch salt
  • 1 pint / 460 ml milk
  • 50g cheddar cheese or similar, grated plus extra for sprinkling on top
  • Freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

Serves 6 as a side dish
  • Heat the oven to 395F/200C/Gas 7
  • Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower and steam whole over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the heat and leave to cool.
  • Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan. Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated. Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
  • Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed. Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes) If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
  • Break the cauliflower florets from the thick, central stalk taking care not to break it into tiny pieces. Place the florets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the florets in one layer.
  • Pour the thickened cheeee sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered. Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
  • Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approx 30 minutes.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 00:00
Another Bulgarian recipe I did today so I use some leftover smoked pork.
Pork with Cabbage /Svinsko sus Zele/

Свинско месо с прясно зеле (снимка) | Веселият Готвач

Ingredients:
pork meat with bones, cut to pieces as you wish
I small to medium cabbage, green
I small to medium can with sauerkraut /the original recipe is only with saurkraut, but I find it too sour, so I use fresh cabbage with small amount of saurkraut to break the taste/
1 tablespoon paprika, overfilled
some olive oil
1/2 bunch of parsley

When I use fresh pork I stuff everything in a crockpot and cook it prefferebly outside, because the sauerkraut while cooking has a peculiar smell I don't really like. Now since I used already cooked meat, I put everything but the parsley in a microwaveble dish and huked for 50 minutes on high; then add the parsley and leave it inside the microwave for 15 minutes for the flavors to blend. It goes with crusty bread, or cooked white rice, without spices, because the sauerkraut will overwhelm it.

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 02:29
Well I just perfected my recipe for tea flavour jelly, and ate the first pot today.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 22:00
I'm making today one of my Bulgarian faves - from North East Bulgaria, my favorite granma, on my father side, used to make it /my mother never learned it/.
Stuffed Peppers with Eggs a Cheese /Pulneni Chushi s Yaica i Sirene/

http://0.tqn.com/d/easteuropeanfood/1/0/C/o/-/-/hungarian-cheese-stuffed-wax-peppers-5.jpg

Ingredients:
4 Anahaim peppers - they are the closest I can find here to Bulgarian long green peppers, but are kinda hot, so I clean them and soak them in water for an afternoon or overnight, changing the water several times; save the tops
5 oz Feta cheese, soaked in water and mashed down
3 eggs, beaten
2-3 tablespoons yogurt
1/3 parsley bunch
2 tablespoon flour

I mix the eggs, cheese, yogurt and parsley, and stuff the mixture in the peppers - this is tricky, because the stuffing stays on the top, so I put a teaspoon at a time and stuff it in with a straw, sticking to straw deep so I let the air out. When the pepper is almost full, I put in some flour, and press the top of the pepper on. I put all peppers in an oiled dish and bake at 400F/250C until the pepper is baked on both sides, the time depend on your oven /I have only a small toaster-oven, so it takes me like 40 min, with some moving on low and high shelf/.
It goes well with crusty bread and glass of tomato juice /the last I spice with a shot of Tabasco/.

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2012 at 18:46
DQ's Culinary Improvisations
I love to eat and I love to cook, but I don't like to spend too much time on it - so along the 30 years of cooking I developed my own improvisations on recipes I came to in different ways, and ways to combine and reuse leftovers. I call those my "improvisations on something"; they are usually simple, with few ingredients, and I use the microwave a lot, especially now when I don't have a kitchen. And since I had some stuffing left from my yesterday, I decided to utilize it, making a small cheese omelet and combining it with mmy improvisation on my step-father's tomato sauce, in Bulgaria called "luitica". So, here my first improvisation

DQ's Improvised Leftover's Omelet with Tomato Sauce /Omlet sus Sirene i Liutika/

Btw, for some of the recipes I posted here I used pictures I found over the net that look just like my recipe, even though the ingredients differ - /this saves me time to make a picture, download it on the bucket, post it here/, but for my improvisations I really have to make my own pictures, because they are unique, done in the spur of the moment with whatever I had to use, and perfected along the years, and no standard recipes per se. So, when you see the tablecover with the lighthouses - this is my own picture.

Ingredients:
leftovers from yesterday's filling, if it's too small I add an egg and a tablespoon of flour
1 can crushed tomatoes, 28 ounces
1 medium head garlic, or 2 small, or 1/2 elephant one /I prefer not to use the last though/; peeled and cut, not minced
1-2 tablespoon olive oil - don't use any other, especially corn or safflower one, because it changes the aroma completely
1/2 bunch parsley

I place the garlic into a microwavable dish, put the tomatoes on it, plus the oil, do not mix - and nuke for 10 min on high, until aromatic /no more, because the garlic will lose it's aroma,, and no less, or it will be raw. Then I put in parsley, mix, cover and let sit for 5 min so teh flavors bind. In this time I put the leftover stuffing in a small oiled bow, nuke 1-2 min on high, until it solidifies, then I place it on the sauce.
It goes well with a glass of airan, with plenty of black pepper, and slices of crusty bread.

Edited by Don Quixote - 27-Mar-2012 at 19:43
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 19:45
I know an older Bulgarian lady in Spokane, and the other day she gave me a Bulgarian recipe for cold meat, used for "meze" /the Bulgarian variation of the Greek "mezeta" and the Mexican "tepe" - something one serves with drinks, so one doesn't get drunk too fast/. The recipe involved sauerkraut juice and raw garlic, so I had to adopt it to my circumstances and substitute lemon juice for the sauerkraut and omit the garlic - and I tried it yesterday, it turned out great for sandwiches for work; so I'll offer it here as a

DQ's Variation of Bulgarian Style Cold Pork

Ingredients:
a big piece of pork roast
1/4 cup lemon juice
10-15 grains whole allspice
salt - according to your taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1-2 tablespoons dill weed, dry or fresh /I used dry/
black pepper - according to your taste

First I mixed well the dill, paprika, cumin and black pepper well, set them aside. I cut the meat on 3 pieces lengthwise, and placed it with the lemon juice, allspice grains, and the salt, with water to cover it, and nuked it for 40 minutes, covered on high, until boiled through. Immediately I removed the meat pieces from the broth, dried them with paper towels, and rolled them piece by piece in the spice mixture, until every side was well covered with the mixture, then wrapped them in plastic sheets each piece separately. When they got cold, I put them in the fridge overnight. In the morning I sliced a piece thinly and make myself a sandwich, that was great combined with a can of tomato juice.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 19:48
This is very fast and simple to make, and I do it frequently - it's lighter that pasta with pesto, and the taste is similar.

DQ's Interpretation of Anger Hair Pasta with Walnuts and Parsley
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6959552031_182d7f355b_z.jpg

Ingredients:
Angel Hair pasta
1 cup walnuts, half grated and half cut, or smashed
1/4 block of butter
I/2 to 1 bunch parsley, cut
Parmigiano, grated
lemon - optional

I boil the pasta al-dente, drain it immediately, /but don't rinse/, transfer it back to the pot, add the butter, walnuts, couple of lemon slices, and parsley, mix until the butter is melted, cover with a lid and leave it for 5-10 minutes so the parsley becomes slightly wilted and aromatic. Just before serving I stir in grated Parmigiano, and serve with more Parmigiano on top.

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Apr-2012 at 19:54
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 20:35
Bulgarian Yogurt Salad /Suh tarator/
http://bulgarianchef.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/trakiiska_big-230x150.jpg

Ingredients:
1 cucumber
1/3 cup walnuts, grated
salt to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
20 oz think yogurt - I prefer "Zoi". If I cannot find it, I pt whatever yogurt I have in 2 layers of cheesecloth, tie it and hang it on a wooden spoon I place over a pot, the whole thing in teh frifge overnight, so the yogurt drains as much water as it can
1-e teaspoons dry dill weed

I cut the cuke in half lengthwise, then thin each piece in the middle, then cut across, soI end up with very minute cubes; then I mix all ingredients together. It goes well with all kinds of meat, or rice dishes, as a side.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 02:49
DQ'a Simplified Bulgarian Style Easter Festive Lunch

Bulgarian Easter festive meal includes lamb, green salad, and sweet Easter bread called "kozunak". This is my this year version of the lamb and salad.

Ingredients:
2 lamb shanks
I bunch fresh mint
1 lettuce
1 bunch watercress
lemon juice
olive oil
salt
couple of hard boiled eggs, I use those that break while I boil them for dying
1 portion yogurt salad

I bake the lamb overnight in a crockpot; just before serving I remove the meat from the bones, cut it on bite-size chunks, mix it with the cut fresh mint, and cover with a lid. For the salad I mix shredded lettuce and watercress, plus lemon juice, salt and olive oil to taste. Around it I place the cut boiled eggs, and the yogurt salad - it goes very well with the lamb.
The festive lunch starts with an egg fight, and the broken eggs are added to the salad as it goes.

Happy Easter everyone!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 22:28
Chicken soup doesn't help me at all when I'm sick, but this fruit salad loaded with vitamin C perks me up. So:
DQ's Citrus Fruit Salad for Sick People

Ingredients:
I grapefruit
3 oranges
1 banana
!/4 cup honey, or 3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup grated walnuts

I peel the oranges and grapefruit, remove the membranes of the grapefruit, cut the segments in small pieces, and pour the honey or sugar on them, mix, cover and let stand for 30 minutes covered. Then I mash the banana, add the cardamom and half of the grated walnuts, drain the juice from the citruses, and mix little by little with the banana so it becomes like thick dressing, which I pour over the citrus fruit, mix well, and put the rest of the walnuts on the top just before serving.

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 17:28
A Bulgarian banitsa:
"...Banitsa is a traditional Bulgarian dish consumed at any meal. It is made of filo pastry layered with crumbled feta cheese and beaten eggs. The best banitsa, "rolled banitsa", is made with thin rolls of pastry arranged in a spiral shape inside a pan. It is sold in bakeries and usually eaten with yoghurt.
  • 2 packets of filo dough (Bulgarian "fini kori" or phyllo from the frozen desserts section)

• 200 grams of yellow cheese (Bulgarian kashkaval or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarelle)

• 500 grams of white cheese (Bulgarian sirene or feta cheese)

• 7 eggs

• 100 grams of butter

• 1/2 cup of soda water

• 1 cup yogurt

How to make it:

Mix six of the eggs, the grated butter, the crumbled white cheese, the yellow cheese cut in small pieces, and the yogurt. In a buttered pan, lay a layer of the phyllo dough, spread a layer of the mixture, and continue alternating layers so that the phyllo and the mixture are finished about the same time. Finish with a layer of phyllo dough. Then cut the banitsa into serving pieces. Mix the last egg with the soda water and stir. Pour the mixture over the banitsa and make sure there are no pieces of the phyllo dough left dry.
Bake in a preheated over at 200 C for 40 minutes, or till golden. ..."

http://www.europeanweekly.net/pages/features/fea_food5.htm
http://www.europeanweekly.net/images/features/banitsa.gif

The stuffing given here is the simplest one, there are several more varied and interesting ones, like:
1. 3 bunches spring onions, cut and sauteed, plus 1 box feta cheese, 2 eggs, I bunch parsley, and 1 cup yogurt
2. 2 bunches spinach, sauteed, plus feta,2 eggs, 1 bunch parsley and yogurt
3. 1 box ground beef, fried, plus 2 bunches green onions
4. the meat from 2 chicken breasts, minced, fried with I head onion, 1 bunch parsley

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 19:08
My grandma made a similar type of pastry full of custard as a dessert
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 19:52
That's interesting - there is a Greek version of banitsa, called "galaxopita" that is full with milk custard, but I don't like it. My maternal grandma was part Greek, so she loved it and made me eat it....which only made me reject it even more. 
Ron Weisley View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote Ron Weisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 07:47
This is really one of the nice recipe .The secret lies not only in the way the ingredients are assembled or in the amounts of each ingredient. The real secret lies in the temperature of the oven and the pre-heating of the lard in the tins.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 23:42
Milk Pudding
There's nothing nicer than a lovingly made milk pudding— do use creamy, fresh milk though, and don't omit the butter or spice. Opt for rice, tapioca, sago or semolina, whichever you have. The method's easy for them all.

SERVES 4

50 g (2 oz) short-grain white or brown pudding rice, flaked rice or tapioca, or 40 g (1 1/2 oz) semolina or sago
568 - 900 ml (1 - 1 1/2 pints) fresh milk
30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
15 g (1/2 oz) butter
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon, ground mixed spice or grated nutmeg

1. If using rice, flaked rice or tapioca, put it in a buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) ovenproof serving dish. Pour in 568 ml (1 pint) milk. If using brown rice, add an extra 300 ml (1/2 pint) milk. Add the sugar and butter. Sprinkle top with cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg.

2. If using semolina or sago, heat the milk in a saucepan until lukewarm, then gradually sprinkle in the semolina or sago, stirring continuously. Add the sugar and butter and continue to cook for 10 minutes, until thickened, stirring frequently.

3. Pour into a buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) ovenproof serving dish and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg.

4. Bake the rice, flaked rice or tapioca pudding in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours (brown rice for an extra 30 minutes) . Stir the pudding 2 or 3 times during the first hour, but leave for the remaining time to form a crust.

5. Bake the semolina or sago pudding at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 30 minutes, without stirring.

6. Serve milk puddings hot or cold, plain or topped with fresh fruit, chopped nuts, or thick natural yogurt.
http://www.allbritishfood.com/milk%20pudding.php
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910