Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The recipe thread (serious attempt)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The recipe thread (serious attempt)
    Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 02:29
I believe this is my first post in here.

Anyway, I was doing some random web surfing and came upon an article about a plant known as Stevia (Sweetleaf) located here. After doing some research on it in Wiki I have come to the conclusion that I would like to try this, my first question is has anyone else tried it and is it sweeter than actual sugar? Also, if anyone has tried it, do you know how easy it is to buy the stuff, and what would be a good price for it. As I'm not a gardener would you recommend that I just buy the stuff all ready processed, or should I try to grow it myself even though it seems to be a difficult plant to work with.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 13:14
Originally posted by cywr

Any rice gurus here?
I cook my rice in a small rice cooker following the recomended water to rice ratio and it allways seems very sticky and lacking in fluffyness. I wash and soak the rice before cooking too.
Whats a guy to do?

how u cook... rice cooker or direct from the stove?
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 05:00

Nasi Goreng a la Arkan:

pre-cooked rice

2/3 Sausages (any Kind)

2 Eggs (1 if you want)

3 Chicken Nuggets

1 Chicken (Wing) (Additional)

1 Tablespoon tomato Ketchup

1/2 Tablespoon Chilli Sauce (Sambal) (Bottled) or 1/2 Tablespoon Sambal Ulek

1/2 Tablespoon sweet soy sauce

1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper

1/2 Tablespoon of Saus Tiram (In English: English sauce if I'm not forgotten, anyway that's a sauce made up from a paste that oysters produce if i'm not forgotten much)

1/4 Tbsp. of Fried Onion / 4 Garlic Rings

1 Teaspoon of Salt

Cooking Steps:

Cook the rice, roast the Chicken Wing (Additional), Scramble 1 Egg and fry the other (this is for 2 Eggs, for 1 Egg; scramble it). Cut the Sausages into small pieces.

Fry the rice in the pan, let about 2 Mins., add the Sauces (Sambal, Tomato Ketchup, Soy Sauce and Saus Tiram). Mix it with the rice until the rice colors red-brownish.

Add Salt. Then Add the Chichken, Egg, and Sausages, Fry for about 3 Mins. Take it out from the Pan.

Add Fried Onions or Garlic Ring and Pepper and the Fried Nuggets. Yummy!!

NB: It's a pity you're not in Indonesia. Here, there is a "Royco Sauce" (Maybe there is in Asia but maybe not in Europe) which can make it taste better.

This is very delicious for Indonesian '"food tongue", I don't know how it taste for other "food tongue"

SECRET: This is a Family Legacy Recipe in my family.

NOTE: There can be also 1 Variable to change it for small snacks or for fast cooking or if you don't have any more food:

INGREDIENTS:
Same but remove Chicken, egg, Nuggets, Pepper, Fried Onions/Garlic Ring and Saus Tiram (As a subtituer of Saus Tiram, use additioning-taste sauces (Taste-Addition Sauce).
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 07:07
Have you guys heard of Hebrew honeycake? We made it recently for my dad's birthday and again near Hannukah. It's like marble cake, but it's spongey and is covered in honey. The honey seeps slowley to the middle of the cake, so the longer you leave it, the dryer it gets on the outside and the wetter on the inside
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 15:01
Phew!! This thread surely was forgotten since CYWR is not around..

Anyhow, I'm gonna share with u guys a new recipe. Actually, now i am so crazy of UDON.
so.. wish u guys can try it.

what is Udon by the way.. ?? (wiki)

Originally posted by

Udon (饂飩 (うどん), Udon) is a type of thick wheat-based noodle popular in Japanese Cuisine.

how it looks?

Ingredients

- 3 handfuls of dried udon, boiled, drained and set aside
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallions (whites separated from greens and sliced)
- large shrimp
- 1/2 pound deveined and peeled shrimp
- 1/2 pound large sea scallops
- 1 can baby corn
- handful of snow peas
- 1 napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 package fried fishcake
- 1/2 package kamaboko (fishcake with pink rim)
- 1/2 carrot, julienned
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste

How?

1. Fry half of the minced garlic until fragrant in hot oil and add shrimp and scallops. Salt lightly. Add a dollop of water and cover immediately to steam. Do not toss around too much or scallops will break. When opaque, remove shrimp and scallops. Set aside.
2. In same pot, sautee mushrooms until tender. Set aside.  Discard excess liquid from mushrooms.
3. Back in the same pot (again!), add oil and remaining minced garlic and white part of scallions. Add fishcakes and sautee for 2 minutes.
4. Add soy sauce and sugar, snow peas, napa cabbage and baby corn. Cover pot and allow vegetables to steam, about 3 minutes.
5. Add remaining cooked shrimp and scallops, mushrooms, green part of scallions, and udon. Gently stir to combine all ingredients.
6. Top with carrots for crunch. Serves 4-5.

Good Luck! And enjoy..

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 15:15

Humitas:

The "tamales" of South America. Traditional amerindian food, very popular from Ecuador to Argentina. It is one of our more authentic local dishes.

Humitas - South American Tamales

Recipe  1¼ hours | 10 min prep
A cousin of tamales from a collection of American Indian recipes Ingredients

Directions

Cut corn off the cobs, saving cobs and husks.
    Take the largest husks, put into a pan of boiling water to soften.
    Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion, and cook until soft.
    Add salt and pepper, and sugar and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
    Add the corn, milk and eggs and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Remove the husks from the water and dry.
    Place 3 tablespoons of the corn mixture on the center of each husk.
    Fold the sides of the husks over to form a small package (using two leaves if needed), tie with kitchen string.
    Place cobs in the bottom of the pot of boiling water and place the humitas on top of the cobs.
    Cover pot and steam for 30 minutes.
    Serve hot.

Add suggar, tomatoes or chili to the humitas, according to your tastes.
Select large unsweeted corn. Sweet or small corn don't make good humitas.

Edited by pinguin - 29-Nov-2008 at 15:18
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 15:47

It looks nice to be served with tea..

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 08:01
This is the thread originally started by Cywr, a long time member who also is a professional chef.  Maybe by reactivating it he'll catch the fever and come back.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 18:49
Well heck! Since "redclay" has stated in the past that I am wont to say a lot, but not be able to prove it!

I thought I would send to each of you an(a) old "Southern" recepie for a dish that most Americans, at least, love to eat, and live to eat!

It is but a variation upon the old favorite "Mac and Cheese!", but it has its variation! First of all, do not use thick "mac", instead use thin spagetti!

So, to start, take a regular package of spagetti or spagettini, or vermicelli, or any thin pasta, necessary to feed your family or to make a side dish!

It must be noted that this dish is just as good as a cold side dish as it is as a main portion of a warm/hot dish! So, please consider how you might well want to use it?

Note, that I am age 63 and I have eaten this dish all of my life, and my mother (God rest her soul)_supposedly ate a variation of this dish all of her life! So, it seems it was something of a family tradition!

So, first, considering how much of this food you need, boil the pasta to some point a little less than al-dente'! Then set it aside!

For the rest of ingrediants;

A package of Saltine crackers!

Shreaded cheese or hunks of Velveeta cheese- you want a cheese that will melt to a velvet consistincy when warm or hot, but will solidify if cold! Your taste is everything!

A pint of heavy whipping cream or more! It all depends upon the size of your desire.

One stick of salted butter!

Note, if you like Italian, you might also have about 4oz. or more of sliced pepperoni and/or Italian ham/ and / or some Italian sausage! You really do not want the meat to overpower the cheesy taste!

Of course any meat that you think would go the best with your choice of cheese will determine the final taste of this dish!

Take a deep porcelin dish, any size you deem necessary to make the required amount of final product, etc.

Take your under cooked pasta, and began to layer it into a buttered dish! That is, place a layer of pasta, and then a layer of your cheese, and then a some pats of butter, and then a layer of the meat(s) of your choice! Then crush a bunch of Saltine Crackers, in your hands or in a dish, and also layer them across the dish!

Repeate until you almost fill the deep dish!

Then add the very rich whipping cream to the dish almost to the brim, well make it about an inch or so from it!

Sorry, I had a long period from which I first started this receipe, unitil the great finish! That is, my wife and I went out to eat Mexican!

But, to continue the programme, '

After layering the ingrediants, you should place your high sided glass deep dish into a pre-heated oven at 350%F, for about 30 minutes!

Then place your oven to "broil" and broil the top of this dish until the small spagetties that might exist on the top, turn a golden brown!

Then, let the dish stay in the hot oven for about 10 minutes, and then remove to a secluded place, like the oven for your micro-wave! And, covered (as all processes after making the dish) let it settle!

Then, Enjoy!

Regards,

Re
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2011 at 17:14
CHICKEN FEET STEW 
2 lb. chicken feet
5 potatoes, cut in eighths
4 onions, quartered
1 c. green beans
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper

Cut nails and wash feet. Place in stockpot. Cover with water. Add potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper to season. Simmer until tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. 6 to 8 servings.

CHICKEN FEET AND RICE 
3 lb. chicken feet, scaled
1/2 c. uncooked rice
1/2 c. chopped green peppers
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper

Put chicken feet in water, let cook until done. Add rice, chopped pepper and cayenne pepper. Let cook until rice is done.

Delicious Chicken Feet

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. 1
    Combine all ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Hot and Spicy Chicken Feet

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

• 32 chicken feet (about 2 lbs.)
    • 1/2 cup sake
    • 1/3 cup water
    • 6 large thin slices fresh ginger
    • 1/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1/4 cup Chinese yellow rock sugar (or 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
    • 2 dried hot chiles, crushed
    • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    • 2 star anise buds
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 1 cup scallion cut in 1-inch pieces
    • 2 tablespoons minced scallion and 1t toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Preparation:

Rub chicken feet with kosher salt and let stand for 10 minutes, rinse in cold water.

Place feet into a pot of rapidly boiling salted water, blanch for 5 minutes and drain well. Chicken feet can be set aside and refrigerated for a day until you need to cook further.

Place a 14-inch saute pan over high heat. Add the chicken and dry-sear to lightly brown. Add the remaining ingredients (except the garnish) and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer until pan is almost “dry,” tossing frequently to coat the feet as the sauce reduces.

Serve, garnishing with scallion shavings and toasted sesame seeds.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 03-Dec-2011 at 17:17
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2011 at 21:29
Are the chicken feet edible or just there to give flavour to the dish?

Anyway I made this interesting Nigerian dish today called Obe ata. It is basically a red pepper soup/stew that is usually eaten with rice.

Ingredients:

- 2 onions
- 2 red peppers
- 4 tomatoes
- palm oil
- paprika powder
- maggi cubes
- lamb or beef cuts

Instructions:

- Place the meat in a saucepan. Add half a cup of water, 1 diced/chopped onion and 2-3 tablespoons of palm oil. Let the saucepan cook on medium heat until the meat is cooked and tender.

- Blend the red peppers, tomatoes and onion. Add the mixture to the saucepan. Add the maggi cubes and paprika powder as well. Let everything cook for 20-30 minutes. Prepare some rice to accompany the stew.
Timidi mater non flet
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2011 at 07:28
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Are the chicken feet edible or just there to give flavour to the dish?

My Girl friend has told me how much she loves eating chicken feet, so I thought I would look up some recipes which have chicken feet in them.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 18:08

Dim-Sum Style Chicken Feet (Golden Phoenix Claws)

You will need:
1 pound chicken feet
2 quarts oil
2 quarts water
1 ounce fresh ginger
3 pieces star anise
2 ounces Chinese parsley roots
2 ounces maltose sugar (see note)
Marinade:
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sake
1 ounce chopped chile pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil

Heat the oil and mix the chicken feet with maltose sugar. Fry them until they are golden brown. It should take about 7 minutes. Remove the feet and drain.

Boil water and add ginger, star anise and parsley roots. Add the chicken feet. Bring the mixture to a boil again. Then reduce the heat and simmer them for 90 minutes. Drain.

Combine marinade ingredients and marinate the feet for 24 hours. Before serving, steam the feet and marinade for 15 minutes.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 18:10

Braised Chicken Feet

Braised Chicken FeetAdidas is the Pinoy coined name for chicken feet. It is a street food cooked as adobo and barbecued in sticks. It is as popular as the other chicken parts like isaw, tails, head ect. I like my chicken feet cooked dim sum style. Braised chicken feet withtausi is a very popular to Chinese dim sum. I know some do not fancy eating chicken feet but for those who have come to love this dish here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 kilo chicken feet
1/2 head garlic chopped
1/2 cup tausi, salted black beans,drained and rinsed
3-5 pcs. siling labuyo, chopped
1-2 pcs. chicken bullion cubes
1/2 cup oyster sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
salt
cooking oil

Cooking procedure:

Chop off nails and remove outer skin of each chicken feet. Wash thoroughly and drain. Marinate chicken feet in 1/2 cup of soy sauce for 30–40 minutes. Drain and discard marinade. In a wok deep fry chicken feet until golden brown in batches. Drain excess oil and soak fried chicken feet in a big bowl of cold water for 30-60 minutes or until they puff up. Drain soaked chicken feet in a colander. In same a wok sauté garlic, black beans and siling labuyo until fragrant. Add in the chicken feet and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar and continue to stir fry for another 1-2 minutes. Add in 4-6 cups of water and chicken bullion cubes, bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken feet are tender and liquid turns thick and almost dry. Season with salt to taste as necessary. Serve hot.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 10:04
This is the thread originally started by Cywr, a long time member who also is a professional chef.

I think professional chef is a bit generous, but I have worked in a kitchen Smile

I'll have to think of some suitable updates.
Arrrgh!!"
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 10:07
After "history kitchen" recipes,finally will eat something here!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:18
My mother makes pizza the traditional way (learned from her own mother): a soft cake-type base is spread with tomato paste and cheese, given a topping of anchovies, olives, tomatos and possibly ham or salami, and baked in the oven
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 09:32
Hot Chocolate-Stout Float.

Chocolate stout is a type of beer that has a dark chocolaty flavor; some brands are even brewed with a small amount of chocolate.  This may sound strange, but it's delicious.

Easy Fudge Sauce-

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk or half and half
2    Tsp. vanilla or instant coffe crystals

In small bowl mix brown sugar and cocoa powder and set aside.
2.  In heavy saucepan melt butter with milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, just until mixture bubbles around edge of pan.  Add sugar-cocoa mix. Cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes, until sugar is dissolved and mix. is smooth and thickened.

3. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla or coffee crystals.

Stout Float-

1/2 cup Easy Fudge Sauce
1  12-16-oz chocolate stout or regular stout.
1 quart vanilla bean Ice Cream

In small saucepan heat easy fudge sauce and 1/4 cup stout [beer] until warm and combined.

Place 2 scoops of ice cream in each of 6 soda glasses.  Spoon 2 tbsp warm fudge sauce into each, pour some remaining beer over icecream, serve with long spoons.

Outstanding cold weather treat.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 22:05

Rosemary Bread

Original Recipe Yield 2 loaves - Serves 16
 Ingredients

1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 egg, beaten (optional)

Or

Ingredients

• 10 g white sugar
  • 235 ml warm water
  • 7 g active dry yeast
  • 6 g salt
  • 30 g butter, softened
  • 7 g rosemary
  • 2 g Italian seasoning
  • 410 g bread flour
  • 15 ml olive oil
  • 1 egg, beaten (optional)

Directions

1. Dissolve the sugar in warm water in a medium bowl, and mix in the yeast. When yeast is bubbly, mix in salt, butter, 1 tablespoon rosemary, and Italian seasoning. Mix in 2 cups flour. Gradually add remaining flour to form a workable dough, and knead 10 to 12 minutes.
  2. Coat the inside of a large bowl with olive oil. Place dough in bowl, cover, and allow to rise 1 hour in a warm location.
  3. Punch down dough, and divide in half. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly grease paper. Shape dough into 2 round loaves, and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary. Cover, and allow to rise 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Brush loaves with egg. Bake 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 28-Jan-2012 at 22:06
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2012 at 17:17
I simple and fast Bulgarian dish I just stirred up for lunch:
Eggs and Red Pepper /Yaica sus Cherveni Chushki/

Ingredients:
6 eggs
12-16 oz red peppers, broiled and peeled - I use such from a jar
3-4 oz "feta" cheese - I soak it in salty water  to reduce it's odor, that I don't like; or "myzithra", the same amount
1/2 bunch of parsley
liberal amount of black pepper
salt according to one's taste - I don't put salt in it because the cheese has enough salt

Cut the peppers in small pieces,  fry in olive oil for some 4-5 minutes; in this time mash the cheese with a fork and beat the eggs lightly, add black pepper, cut the parsley. Pour the agss in the pan, mix with the peppers, and when the eggs begin to solidify, add cheese, cook, stirring, for 5-10 seconds, or until it reaches the hardness you prefer. Stir in parsley, add more black pepper, cover with a lid and take off the fire; let stay for 5 minutes so the flavors blend.
Goes well with crusty white bread, /Italian or French variety/, and a glass of airan /yogurt beaten with water to drinking consistency, I put black pepper in it too. Serves 2 or 3, depending on the size of servings.

Edited by Don Quixote - 15-Mar-2012 at 17:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>