Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed(Scary Imams and gullable) Muslims versus Denmark (and fascists)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Scary Imams and gullable) Muslims versus Denmark (and fascists)
    Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 11:53
A series of cartoons printed in newspapers in
Denmark and Norway have sparked outrage across
the Muslim world.

The cartoons depicted the prophet Muhammed as a
terrorist which led to government calls for a boycott of
Scandinavian goods in countries like Bosnia and
Herzegovina, Albania, and Turkey - as well as in
countries throughout Central Asia, Africa, and the
Middle East. It also led to threats against the lives
and property of Danes and Norwiegans from Islamic
militant groups throughout the Middle East.

Stores in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Lebanon
have pulled Scandinavian products from the shelves.
Ambassadors to Denmark have been called home
by at least 6 countries, and at least 4 have closed the
Danish embassies on their soil.

Thousands of protesters have picketed Danish
embassies and consulates around the world and
the crisis shows no sign of subsiding anytime soon.

President Sulejman Tihic of Bosnia and Herzegovina
said he would not be so upset if not for Denmark's
previous insults to Muslims - including speeches in
which members of the government referred to Islam
as a cancer, one politician even said the Nazis went
after the wrong people. None of these politicians
were sanctioned, according to Tihic.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 11:57
Wow, that's very disheartening, thank you for informing us.
Member of IAEA
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 12:39
Yes, bad moves by the Scandinavian governments, but they might be pissed about local muslims being too radical in their speeches and behaviours, so to them, Islam is a cancer. It is bringing radical ideas to Europes most peaceful area, something they are not used to.

The Scandinavian governments should use some cunning reforming and so forth, not statements that will only piss the local and foreign muslims off.

Jokes about Muhamed, i think Allah would rather just grin on those and a muslims belief system should simply be above such jokes. Christians and Muslims crying about jokes about Jesus and Muhamed is just primitive. Dismissing the jokes would really show them as stronger and more independent believers, not just some serfs of mass-opinion that has no basis.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 13:37
They must have known these jokes are intolerable.  The publishing of these cartoons was deliberate, and was aimed at provoking Muslims.  I guess they didn't think the matter would be internationalized like this. 

These offensive cartoons weren't a joke.  They could have joked about OBL, if all they wanted to joke about was a bearded-man preaching religion in a distorted way, according to them.  That's not freedom of speech.  Can they deny the holocaust and call that freedom of speech?  If they can't mess with the Jews, they shouldn't think they can mess with Muslims, either.

I'm glad my country's boycotting Danish products.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:31
Wasnt this really old? Either Im hitting some deep dejavu or this is old news.

I havnt heard anything on things being pulled down in Albania, whatever Scandivanian products we have anyway. But I dont think the country should pull down anything. People have a right to express their feelings and being that its in Europe, I dont see how it should really effect muslims in other countries.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:34
I agree with Sulejman Tihic. I support free speech, and certainly a free press - I think they're both very important. I would still, however, bring charges against these papers using whatever anti-terrorism laws exist. Contributing to terrorism should include provocations from the other side as well.

That said, personally, I won't lose any sleep over it. But I do like the idea the Bosnian government is taking it seriously. A guilty pleasure, I suppose, given Denmark's past comments.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:37
Originally posted by Mira

I'm glad my country's boycotting Danish products.

Me as well. Though, the atmosphere here is different.

You know how anti-American protests in Cuba are always filled with smiles, laughing, music, that sort of thing? Any protests against the West are similar here. People come together, smile for the press, then leave.

Today a bunch of students burned cookies made in Norway outside with Danish Embassy. LOL

EDIT: There is one thing I really respect about the method of protesting here. During one protest against the war in Iraq, students burned the American flag - and there was a massive public backlash here. Nothing to do with the Americans, from Bosnians there was a backlash.

So now when there's a dispute like this, they always hold a sort of ceremony. The government takes down that particular country's flag, in full uniforms, with a ceremony. Folds it nicely, and puts it in safe storage until the dispute is over. I like that a lot better.

Edited by Mila
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:39
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Yes, bad moves by the Scandinavian governments

You mean they should have abolished the Freedom of the Press to please some people living on the other side of the planet?

They must have known these jokes are intolerable.

Maybe. But for example, do you know what is ok and not   to joke about here?

Can they deny the holocaust and call that freedom of speech?

Of course you can.

This whole issue has become ridiculous. First off, going against whole nations (and those not even involved - apparently Sweden somehow ended up in it too, its citzen threatened to leave Palestine for example) because of a single newspaper is a farce that shows the political maturity in some areas. It is exactly the same as if the USA would gain the right to nuke every Muslim country from Morocco to Indonesia because a few Muslims was behind the September 11 atrocity.

Secondly, the original caricatures were published in a single newspaper several months ago, and they weren't especially dramatic either. According to the newspaper, it was to 'test the boundaries of expression of Islam' - domestically. Personally, I think it was unnecessary, considering the already strained relations with Muslims within the country as well as internationally. One thing you should now though, is that the editors didn't have any idea whatsoever how important these things are to Muslims - here, you can make jokes about anything, eg a Danish Christian would just laugh at similar caricatures about Jesus (and believe me, MUCH worse things are made about Christians). I do not think Jyllandsposten actually intended to insult anyone - which they have already stated.

Lastly, the mess didn't start until recently, when some nutjob Danish imams decided to fuel the West-Muslim antagonism by going around the Middle East telling everyone how the Danes insulted all Muslims. It was one problem though, the original pictures weren't nearly provocative enough, so they made and added many themselves(among others showing Muhammed as a terrorist, pedophile etc*), claiming they too were made and published by the newspaper.

*) shouldn't that make the imams guilty of this as well? I mean, the Muslim crime of making pics of Muhammed.

BTW, here are the pics, I'll link them, since I suppose some of you doen't want to see them:
ALL pics from the Danish and Norwegian newspapers

The pics the imams added to fuel anti-Danish sentiments

So now when there's a dispute like this, they always hold a sort of ceremony. The government takes down that particular country's flag, in full uniforms, with a ceremony. Folds it nicely, and puts it in safe storage until the dispute is over. I like that a lot better.

One step in the right direction For comparison, despite that the Scandinavian citizens in Palestine (almost all being aid workers and UN observers) have been threatened to death unless they leave, the Scandinavian nations will continue to pay huge economic aids to Palestine, whose economy to quite a large part is dependent on such aid. Right now, due to the responses from some people here, part of me think we should scrap it all and let them make do themselves, but hopefully this mess can be settled. Some unknowing newspaper and a few imams who want to spread resentment and hatred shouldn't be allowed to cause so much harm.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:42
Thanks so much for your post, Styrbiorn!

A few of the pictures are less than acceptable but these are not the worst of the ones shown on the news here. You're certain these are all that were actually published?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:50
I haven't actually read the papers in question, but as far as I know, those are all. Maybe you'll find some of those you have seen in the second link?

edit: I can't spell tonight.

Edited by Styrbiorn
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 14:59

Nobody's religion should be safe from ridicule or satire or any other form of verbal disrespect.

The sad current attempts of the UK government to make attacking or ridiculing or mocking religious beliefs illegal are failing - at least with any luck they are - partly because religious leaders are running a mile from them once they realise the implications.

Because most religious clerics earn their living by doing just that. And the politicians who foment religious strife in their search for power do just that.

If Muslims feel that respect should be paid to religion and Islam should not be vilified, then their first task should be to ensure that all other religions are fully respected and not mocked or criticised in Muslim countries.

After all Muslims and Christians alike accept the man who told us to ignore the mote in the other guy's eye and first treat the beam in our own  as inspired by God.

I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with the complaints about the Danish cartoons. The producers of the musical the 'Jerry Springer Show' have had death threats from 'outraged' Christians. I have no sympathy for them either. A long time ago now a contemporary of mine at Cambridge was expelled for publishing a poem talking about God (the Christian one) washing his dirty socks: I had no sympathy for the people who did that to him.

The people who are allegedly 'outraged' by the Danish cartoons are the same kind of people. If the outrage is genuine then they are childish, small-minded and petty. If it isn't, which is frequently the case, they are just using it to try and get a political edge.

But I'll stop right now.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:01
Yes, I found a couple of the cartoons I'd seen among
those the Imam's faked - most notably the one with
the dog.

Well that's just perverted - self-descecration.

I hope Scandinavia will push and continue to push
until the whole story is known internationally.

I hope the paper will be forced to publish a full
explanation, not necessarily an apology, but an
explanation - to be printed in papers across the
Muslim world. Perhaps the paper should also be
fined and the cartoonist and editor should be made
away of the harm they've caused - possibly with
contributing to terrorism charges, even just
mentioning such in the media without actually going
through with it.

And the Imams, they should be forced to do the
same things in regard to the pictures they
themselves made - especially the written
explanation for Muslim newspapers.

Then they should be charged with whatever way you
get them for lying in this regard, and any available
contributing to terrorism charges should be laid.

I still support the boycott of Danish goods because
I'm weary of the intentions behind these cartoons,
especially given the level of public acceptance for
anti-Muslim hate speech in the country. But that's it.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:17
Fines or other sentences are impossible - the Freedom of the Press is one of the cornerstones of democracy and the Danish constitution. I don't understand what you mean with terrorism charges either, it's not that they encourage people to bomb Muslims. I have unfortunately no idea what kind of hate speech laws the Danes have, I only know the ones we have here (and I think those should be abolished).

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:25
Is it so hard to say sorry? 
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Mira

Is it so hard to say sorry?

Apparently. Personally I think the newspapers in question should apologize, the Freedom of the Press weren't intended to give people free access to insult other people - at least not on this level. However the governments should never, ever, apologize for their ideology and the free speech laws.

It will probably come to that though, a majority of the Danish population thinks the publishing of the pics were based on very bad judgement, and several companies are now demanding that the paper should apologize. They have already stated that they did not intend to insult everyone. The step from there to an apology is not far, so it may very well come.

edit: hupp, Jyllandsposten have apparently apologized tonight. Will probably reach the foreign media soon.

Edited by Styrbiorn
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:30

i dont think any "imams" were involved in this, the first time these pictures were published the Arab league issued a statment to Danish governement to explain it. they were waiting answers from the Danish Governemnt and nothing was recieved.

then this month a magazine based in Norway re-published those which made Saudi Arabia withdrawing its Ambassador in Denmark to show protest and disappointment of the Government actions toward the issue.

now the people, at the first time these were published people didnt know that because the Governments through the Arab Leagu was keeping it quite and tried to solve the problem with Denmark's government.

so majority of the people didnt know anything about that.

now after the second time the other magazine published them and Saudi Arabia showing its disappointment by withdrawing its ambassador more people knew about the issue and people decided to boycott Danish product to show their protest against Denmark's news paper.

----

i think the matter went from bad to worse when the Danish government explained that as "freedom of Speach" and defended that,

even thought i think it went from "freedom of speach" to Hatred and Racisim propaganda.

the difference is the first is legal and the second isnt.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:36
Believe what you want, Azimuth, but the really insulting pics were spread by extremist Danish imams, not the newspapers. Feel free to acquire the papers in question.

That said, the Danish government's response weren't very smart to say the least, especially not even receiving those ambassadors.

Edited by Styrbiorn
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:42

well i'll tell you something NO pictures were shown anywhere in the news nor the Tvs here. its not allowed to be shown nor published. not even by AlJazira tv.

people will protest against anybody publish them here in the middle east.

so people like my father didnt see those pictures not even one, what people here heared is that Denmark and Norway dared and insulted the Prophet and their government approved that. << this mostly what majority of the people knew.

iam here and i know what is happening.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 15:49
The governments didn't approve - they had no part of it at all. You have to understand that they have NO RIGHTS WHATSOEVER to govern what is published in the media. The Danish prime minister did say he himself would personally never make pics over either Jesus or Mohammed that would insult anyone. He has really no power to do more than that.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 16:11

Another question, maybe OT but anyway,

I read from everyone says "have respect to religions" why should i respect all another people's ideologies?  I don't insult or offend them, but i don't want to respect them.

I dislike communism, i respect communists as humans and i don't want to respect the communism as an ideology, should i? the same thing with Religions or capitalism or whatever. I don't want to respect them and i think it is my sovereign right, could you respect fascism or nazism?

Edited by Maziar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>