Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arab-Israeli War of 1973

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arab-Israeli War of 1973
    Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 22:26

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I am in favor of Israel. I think it will outlast more than you think

I agree.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 10:03
Well, time will show us...But it is not that simple.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 19:21
I wonder why the Israelis didn't nuke the Arab states and then overrun their armies.  They couldn't retaliate, and although they would have had to deal with considerable backlash, I would have judged it to be worth such a great victory over the Arabs.  I also highly doubt the Russians would have risked starting a nuclear war for their Arab allies, even without American help, Israel could have perhaps attacked Tbilisi or Kiev, which I'm sure the Soviets would have not traded a Soviet city for Damascus or Cairo.
Member of IAEA
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 20:41
I doubt Russia would do anything for the Arabs.  The only reason that the Soviet Union supported them with weaponry was because the United States supported Israel.  Now that the Soviet Union is no more, I doubt Russia would want anything to do with.  I think Russia would be more likely to invade the muslim lands themselves than act aggresively towards Israel.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 01:37
Originally posted by Genghis

I wonder why the Israelis didn't nuke the Arab states and then overrun their armies. They couldn't retaliate, and although they would have had to deal with considerable backlash, I would have judged it to be worth such a great victory over the Arabs. I also highly doubt the Russians would have risked starting a nuclear war for their Arab allies, even without American help, Israel could have perhaps attacked Tbilisi or Kiev, which I'm sure the Soviets would have not traded a Soviet city for Damascus or Cairo.

It would be extremely foolish for a country small enough to be destroyed by only a few nuclear weapons to start anything of the sort.

The Soviet Union certainly would have retaliated. If they didn't, their credibility as a nuclear threat - which is based on the perception of willingness to use the weapons - would be undermined, and they would lose much of their deterrent effect.

Consider it from another perspective: would the US have idly stood by if the Soviets nuked their way to total domination of Africa, eastern Asia, and south America? If the Soviets dropped the bomb on South Korea, for instance, the US would be forced to retaliate, its not a matter of trading LA for Seoul, its a matter of credibility as a threat.

Edited by edgewaters
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 02:12

I wonder why the Israelis didn't nuke the Arab states and then overrun their armies.  They couldn't retaliate, and although they would have had to deal with considerable backlash, I would have judged it to be worth such a great victory over the Arabs.  I also highly doubt the Russians would have risked starting a nuclear war for their Arab allies, even without American help, Israel could have perhaps attacked Tbilisi or Kiev, which I'm sure the Soviets would have not traded a Soviet city for Damascus or Cairo.
You cannot just go around nuking people.... it's not like Genghis' times...

my 5th direct post to you, and still my question stands: can you really be that stupid?
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 02:14
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I am in favor of Israel. I think it will outlast more than you think
a black duck in the group, huh? Their time will come too
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 07:26

And what else? Begin a nuclear war in the world between two poles of that time...Both USA and Soviet Union passed nuclear alarm situation at 1973,before the war reached an end. Israeli parliament also considered to use nukes but it was discarded considering its terrible consequences..

Sorry, but totally illogical analysis, nobody would be that stupid to start a new world war, or at least make a move that would affect the whole region for hundreds of years(you know the effects of nukes), and be condemned by the world for that.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 07:35

Originally posted by edgewaters

It would be extremely foolish for a country small enough to be destroyed by only a few nuclear weapons to start anything of the sort.

The Soviet Union certainly would have retaliated. If they didn't, their credibility as a nuclear threat - which is based on the perception of willingness to use the weapons - would be undermined, and they would lose much of their deterrent effect.

Consider it from another perspective: would the US have idly stood by if the Soviets nuked their way to total domination of Africa, eastern Asia, and south America? If the Soviets dropped the bomb on South Korea, for instance, the US would be forced to retaliate, its not a matter of trading LA for Seoul, its a matter of credibility as a threat.

I think there are instances where the US would have stood by if the Soviets used nuclear weapons, a possible Russo-Chinese war for instance.

You're also saying this example is totally improbable and compare it to the examples of soviet use of nuclear weapons against US allies in an attempt to achieve world domination.  This would not have been so, this would have been the desperate use of Israeli nuclear weapons against the Arab nations.  In the actual war, both the USA and the USSR collaborated to stop the conflict, no side had an interest in widening it, and it is very unlikely either side would have unilaterally done so.  The Israelis would also have recent history to indicate to them that the USSR was not that firm in it's support of the Arab states.  They refused to help them in 1956 despite making a lot of noise about it, and also did not punish Israel for routing the Arabs in 1967.  If the Israelis had used nuclear weapons in the first 24 hours of the invasion, I think both the USA and USSR would be equally stunned but.  The Arabs were not to the Soviets what Japan or Korea were to the USA, the USA lost 33,000 men defending South Korea against North Korea, the Soviets never did such a thing for the Arab states.  After political posturing by the superpowers began to take place, then you are right in that Israeli use of nuclear weapons would have elicited a greater Soviet obligation in light of previous support given.

Israel obviously didn't use nuclear weapons, I would think not from a consensus that it would have immediately elicited a Soviet response, but from a general uncertainty over what it would elicit and from whom.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by Kapikulu

And what else? Begin a nuclear war in the world between two poles of that time...Both USA and Soviet Union passed nuclear alarm situation at 1973,before the war reached an end. Israeli parliament also considered to use nukes but it was discarded considering its terrible consequences..

Sorry, but totally illogical analysis, nobody would be that stupid to start a new world war, or at least make a move that would affect the whole region for hundreds of years(you know the effects of nukes), and be condemned by the world for that.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be costs, just that it's possible the Israelis could have considered the costs worth it.

Member of IAEA
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:47

I'm not saying there wouldn't be costs, just that it's possible the Israelis could have considered the costs worth it

Israel can not accept too much cost. They have very limited resource.

I alsobelieve israel will not resist that lands much, west cannot support israel forever.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 13:59

You're also saying this example is totally improbable and compare it tothe examples of soviet use of nuclear weapons against US allies in an attempt to achieve world domination. This would not have been so, this would have been the desperate use of Israeli nuclear weapons against the Arab nations. In the actual war, both the USA and the USSR collaborated to stop the conflict, no side had an interest in widening it, and it is very unlikely either side would have unilaterally done so. The Israelis would also have recent history to indicate to them that the USSR was not that firm in it's support of the Arab states. They refused to help them in 1956 despite making a lot of noise about it, and also did not punish Israel for routing the Arabs in 1967.

You're not considering this in the context of MAD - neither side was ready to intervene too directly in the ME, for fear of provoking a nuclear reaction. Both preferred a distant approach, a policy of proxy war. But once the nuclear line was crossed, either by the opposing superpower or by any of its clients, MAD would certainly come into effect immediately.

If the Israelis had used nuclear weapons in the first 24 hours of the invasion, I think both the USA and USSR would be equally stunned

Nope, that's what contingency planning was for. If there was a nuclear attack on even a minor US or Soviet client state, by either the principals or even by a power only loosely connected to one of the principals, retaliation would be inevitable and swift. Initial response would be measured, and only after would negotiations be opened up (provided there was no counter-retaliation, which is unlikely).

Edited by edgewaters
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 09:02

This analysis shows a fundamental failure to understand Cold War dynamics. So I'll give you an analogy.

You have very bad relations with your neighbour. Both of you have guns and sons who have guns. It is clear that if things go bad, blood will spill. Other neighbours are watching both of you, and tracking your behaviour. You both don't want to lose face, but more importantly, don't want to get killed, which is certain if there is a serious fight. So you try to avoid escalation, where you can.

Now, you have a dog, which keeps chasing your neighbour's dog who teases it. This causes some problems, but not much, as long as the dogs don't kill/maim each other.

But if your dog killed your neighbour's dog, you'd be in deep sh*t. Because your neighbour would in all likelyhood shoot the brains out of your dog. Then you'd have a tough choice, either do nothing and lose face, or escalate the affair, and risk getting shot yourself.

The best solution is to keep your dog leashed. I.e. no nukes.

Look at the situation today, Israel can't even annex West Bank, even without the USSR, because of America threatening to cut aid. It is ridiculous to think that they could have nuked anyone.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 16:36

The Us didn't replaced any Israeli Thanks during the war because of two reasons:

1. Israel gain ground and dodn't lost one. So, every damaged thank was repaired quickly and most of them were back on field overnight. I know because I was there.

2. A ship with thanks from the USA can not make the voiage with less the three weeks. Add to it some days of preparations, you get at least a 6 week delay. The actual fighting took place for about two weeks only. So, make the mat by your selve.

3. The American replaced the Aircraft in the bassis of same type for lost one.

4. The Syriens left on the Golan Hights about 1000 Thanks (yes thousend) and most of them were not damaged. The crew just took of. I know that too, because I was among the Israeli soldiers that pick them. We use to come to a deserted T-54, 55 or T-62, pour disel oil into the thank start and go to the evacuation center. After the 73 war the Israeli army formed a full Division armed with Soviet made armour track and Thanks. But, the spoiled Israeli Thank crew did like thouse thanks because they were, as the soldiers said: "made for a Muzik". Very hard to operate and unfriendly. In order to shift a gear you had to have an arm like Scharzneger. As soon as the Israeli army got the local made "Merkava" the sold over 1000 russien ex Syrien and Egyptiens to some other countries in Africa and Eeastern Europe. 

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:30
GO ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AL_C0 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AL_C0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 04:40
[QUOTE=R_AK47] Regardless of the outcome of the war, it was a
victory for Israel, as Israel is still there. The Arabs wanted to destroy
Israel completely. However, they failed. The 1973 war was a victory
for Israel as their nation is still intact (with Jerusalem) thus
accomplishing their objective. It was a defeat for the Arabs as they
failed in their objective, which was to destroy Israel. It does not
matter who recieved American or Soviet aid. Israel could argue that
the Arabs had an unfair advantage due to their access to suicide
bombers. Either way, its obvious who ultimately won the war.[/
QUOTE]

I dont think that Egypt or Syria used suicide bombers in this war.
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 18:03
Well the suicide bombers were just an example.  Perhaps a more accurate unfair advantage that Israel could claim the arabs had would be that the arabs had far greater numbers and completely surrounded Israel.
Bulgarian Soldja View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulgarian Soldja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 19:06

I think Israel won the war ........ the arabs ganged up on them and they still lost. I wonder why u lose wars so often?

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 12:12
You have to remember it was a short war. The Israel and the Arab countries had agreed to a UN ceasefire at about the same time Israel was crushing the opposing army.

Also, has anyone ever heard of a secret plan by Israel to bomb the Aswan dam and flood Cairo, so as to force Egypt out of the war? I think I remember someone saying that years ago.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 18:34
As long as that "wall" stands, there will always be an Israel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>