Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArmenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?
    Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 21:03
Originally posted by prsn41ife

i cannot, but im sure experts on the subject can.

There are images by Armin Wegner, a german medic in the Ottoman Empire, and the location and dates for these images is known.

In the case of the image posted above none of this information is available. It is not even on the Armenian National Institute database:

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/photointro.html

Anyway, I am looking forward to an expert explanation for the location and date of this photograph.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 21:18
Lets just blame the Romans for causing the Armenian Genocide, ok? Now lets move on with our lives and get rid of this ugly topic
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 21:35
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Lets just blame the Romans for causing the Armenian Genocide, ok? Now lets move on with our lives and get rid of this ugly topic

There are over a million Armenians in America, most of them are here because their parents/grandparents were expelled from their land because of this event. The Turkish authorities have not even claimed responsibility for this, so getting rid of the topic only benefits the perpetrators. If its annoying for you to read, imagine how annoying it is for those who went through it and are told "it didn't happen"

Imagine telling the Bosnians, Jews, Rwandans, etc., that what happened to them was a "miscalculation", or even worse, blaming the deaths of innocent women and children on their own people, as the Turkish government adamantly does to the Armenians.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 21:37
OK, fine, the Turks are responsible for the Genocide, and the only people that say that it really was not a genocide are the nationalists

Boo Romans
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 02:19
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Well, that's exactly what the Turkish denilist side has been striving all this time "The Armenian genocide should be left to historians not politicians" or "let us look forward to the future not the past".

But I guess if we could put behind us the "ugly" matter of the Jewish holocaust it would be "history" in another 50 years and most of the crimes committed right now could also be forgotten.

1) Genocide, by definition in UN, and legislation in most countries, e.g. US, France, UK, Germany and Sweden does not have a statute of limitation. It is still punishable 90 years after and could mean compensation in another way or other.

2) You can hit someone in the face, not apologize and expect that he will hold your hand and become friends with you and forget the "ugly" action in the past

Armenians have demanded an recognition and compensation for their lost lives, lands and properties in over 90 years. Just because Turkey and other super powers chosen to ignore those calls due to their political and economical interests doesn't mean that the Armenian genocide is obsolete.

Fortunately that policy is changing; both inside and outside Turkey. Out of 17 countries officially recognising the genocide, 14 has done so after 1993 and several more parliaments are discussing the issue. Even Turkish intellectuals have started to question their past.

So, the Armenian Genocide is niether forgotten or left to historians. It is an "ugly" matter to discuss but neverthelss it MUST be discussed until the perpetrator admits its guilt. No sincere relations can be established in the region if Turkey continues desecrating the memory of 1,5 milion members of its neighbour country.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 06:10

maybe they are russian soldiers who found the graves. there are pictures of allied soldiers after they liberated death camps of the nazi's. they discovered the massacres and took pictures. even though german soldiers arent in the pictures, it doesnt mean that the germans did do it.

If Russian soldiers were posing in front of the dead people, then the number one suspect of this crime is the Russian Army, not Turkish!

And it is us who discovered this fact, noone would understand the mistake in the picture.

Edited by barish
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 07:36
This image can be from the Russian Civil War,and those dead people can be Bolsheviks.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 07:49
Originally posted by bg_turk

i cannot, but im sure experts on the subject can.

There are images by Armin Wegner, a german medic in the Ottoman Empire, and the location and dates for these images is known.

In the case of the image posted above none of this information is available. It is not even on the Armenian National Institute database:

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/photointro.html

Anyway, I am looking forward to an expert explanation for the location and date of this photograph.

And how would you like those explanations to be?! The world saw video from the destruction of the Armenian grave stones in Nakhichevan and yet people said that it was falsified evidence and the site could be anywhere in the world! So no matter what, denying something is quite simple. All it takes is to say "No".

I think that the work of Armin Wegner is quite well known to the world. And him being German meant that (at least in those days) he is quite a relaible source as an ally member of the Ottoman power. His images are very well documented and if you would bother to verify it (if you really mean it) you could either write to ANI and ask them for verification.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 09:13

Originally posted by armenica

And how would you like those explanations to be?! The world saw video from the destruction of the Armenian grave stones in Nakhichevan and yet people said that it was falsified evidence and the site could be anywhere in the world! So no matter what, denying something is quite simple. All it takes is to say "No".

I simply want to know where and when was this image taken. An approximate date and location would be sufficient.

Those who present this image as evidence should no doubt be able to answer these simple questions

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 09:26

Forumers:

328 posts on 17 pages.  Has anything been decided here?  Has anyone been convinced of anything?

How many topics have there been on this same issue?

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 09:58
Actually I have doubts about that picture too,  since  it does not appear neither in John Elder's photos nor in Wegner's photos, and no information is given about its source...but then again, you it comes from Wikipedia, so I wouldnt be surprised...
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 11:02
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Forumers:

328 posts on 17 pages.  Has anything been decided here?  Has anyone been convinced of anything?

How many topics have there been on this same issue?

Know exactly what you mean! But the important part is not to convince, but not allow misconception and false information go unchallenged.

As far as it goes for the picture in question: who says that it shows the killers beside the victims? That is an assumption made by members here and on the wiki page. It could easily be Russian troops (I'm gussing from the hat on the soldier on the far right side, middle row) who have discovered slaughtered Armenian bodies. Nothing else.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 11:27

But the important part is not to convince, but not allow misconception and false information go unchallenged.

Precisely! I agree with you.

As far as it goes for the picture in question: who says that it shows the killers beside the victims? That is an assumption made by members here and on the wiki page. It could easily be Russian troops (I'm gussing from the hat on the soldier on the far right side, middle row) who have discovered slaughtered Armenian bodies. Nothing else.

Could you please elaborate. Your words seem to be speculations and I personally believe that the image above is precisely in the category of misconception and false information that you have been saying should not remain unchallenged.  

armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:10
Originally posted by bg_turk

But the important part is not to convince, but not allow misconception and false information go unchallenged.

Precisely! I agree with you.

Could you please elaborate. Your words seem to be speculations and I personally believe that the image above is precisely in the category of misconception and false information that you have been saying should not remain unchallenged.  

What is it that you wish me to elaborate? To in some way hint that these could be Armenian armed "bandits" and the bodies belong to Turks? Could be... But since there are no evidence of any sort and no one seems to be sure who is who, I just continued in the same direction which the picture suggested in the first place.

But why do you cling to this picture in particular? There are plenty of verified pictures (among others on the link you refered to) showing massacred Armenians.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:16

One lie is enough to destroy whole truth. This is what armenians do wrong, what happened to them is enough bad. No need to enhance it with false picture or false words.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:21

What is it that you wish me to elaborate? To in some way hint that these could be Armenian armed "bandits" and the bodies belong to Turks? Could be... But since there are no evidence of any sort and no one seems to be sure who is who, I just continued in the same direction which the picture suggested in the first place.

I do not know who the dead people on this picture are. And since you said you believed they were Armenian and "nothing else", I just wanted you to explain in more detail why you thought so.

But why do you cling to this picture in particular? There are plenty of verified pictures (among others on the link you refered to) showing massacred Armenians.

Were you not the one who said that false evidence and misconceptions should be challenged?

I know there are other authentic images of massacred Armenians, but this one is clearly not one of them.

Edited by bg_turk
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:42
"I know there are other authentic images of massacred Armenians, but this one is clearly not one of them."

It could be, or it couldnt be, since we know nothing else about the picture we cannot reach a conclusion...
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:51

Infact I think, you cannot be sure about death people. They can be both armenian or turkish. At that time, they were  same.

Edited by Mortaza
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 13:31

In the Balkans Russian soldiers used to rob refugees even of their clothes and take the clothes of dead people as outlined by McCarthy and Karpat.  

It is very likely that, whatever their ethnicity, the dead people on the picture are the victims of the Russian soldiers that stand by and that their clothes were taken down by those same soldiers.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 14:55
     The fact that the only solid argument against the genocide is a debate over a picture tells us a lot about the facts on each side. No one has even attempted to answer my question...it is addressed to anyone who doesn't believe the events should be called "genocide":

"The vast majority of the deaths were due to the "irresponsible relocations", and the only basis of these relocations was that they were Armenian (this was the only pretext of being relocated). So it is the relocation of an ethnic group (not those responsible for fighting, just those who belong to the same ethnic background), so it means the government was targeting a group based on ethnic background rather than responsibility for a crime. If the government targets a particular ethnic group for relocation only on the basis that they belong to that group, and somehow ends up killing over a million of them due to neglect or "lack of resources", thats the very definition of genocide. If this doesn't constitute genocide then nothing does. Please tell me what genocide is then?"

bg_turk,

I know you believe a genocide took place, but you claim that the genocide was mutual. You're going to blame a "genocide against Turks" on some guerillas who were kicked out of their cities and had their families murdered by Turkish soldiers? A genocide is something planned by a government entity which plans to wipe out an entire group based on ethnicity or religion. Armenian guerillas who were kicked out of their homes who went of and killed Turks does not fall under this category. Their action was spontaneous. Doesn't matter if its wrong, its SPONTANEOUS REACTION, NOT PLANNED, and its definitely not being carried out by a government entity.

The fate of the Armenians on the other hand, was decided by government order (relocations based solely on ethnic background), and it was planned (unless you mean to tell me relocations are not planned ). So how do you compare the killing of Armenians to the killing of Turks? They are both horrible, but one was planned and carried out by a GOVERNMENT ENTITY, while the other was the spontaneous (although unjustified) reaction by groups of individuals independent of any government order. How does the killing of Turks constitute as genocide?

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>