Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArmenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?
    Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 11:47
Originally posted by armenica

Originally posted by bg_turk

What percentage of those that were deporated actually survived the journey through the desert?

First of all: Let's assume that Turkish authorities were actually protecting the Armenians from the revolutionary groups. Why would you protect women, children and elderly but moving them into a desert?!

Second: there are lots of eyewitness acounts (survivors, Arab nomads, Arab inhabitants along the route, consular reports etc.) which certify that the Turkish regular forces did actively take part in the killing. The Kurdish and other Muslims raiding groups wrapped it up.

Those who survived the tourment on the road were finished off when reaching the Syrian Desert anyhow.

But this is far from the only way. The governor of Trabizond wired Constantinople and protested how the women, children and elderly of the city had been loaded onborad two cargo ships, sailed for the high sea, and returned empty two hours later.

There are cases where muslims have been locked up in mosques, and the building set on fire while they were still alive. Muslims corpses have been dumped into the wells, and many of them have now been excavated in accordance with eye witness acounts. The autoriciites comitted by armenains and russians are very  well documented. I am not stating these to justify the dumping of armenain innceont civilians into the sea, I am just doing it to put in context, where innceont muslims have suffered equally tragic crimes at the hads of armenain extremists.

Let us go back to my question. I am simply interested to know what percentage of the armenains that were foced into exile acctually survived. A significant portion of them survived, since what today is the armenian diaspora, is basically the survivors of those events, is that not right?

If the purpose of the Empire was the total extermination and annihilation of the armenian race, as was the case with the Holocaust, then why did so many of the people , that could have easily been killed at the hands of the turkish mililtary,  survived? Please, note that we are not talking about a few armenians who were lucky enough to escape, but we are talking about the decendants of the entire armenian diaspora, which today numbers to up to several million.

Also how many muslims died during the same period in the same area? If my memory serves me right, you quote a number in the range of several thousand, what is your source for this? Are you aware of any research done on the topic and can you quote respectable non-armenian sources?

From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million. Does this loss not merit to be called a Turkish Genocide as well?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 12:16

There are cases where muslims have been locked up in mosques, and the building set on fire while they were still alive. Muslims corpses have been dumped into the wells, and many of them have now been excavated in accordance with eye witness acounts. The autoriciites comitted by armenains and russians are very  well documented. I am not stating these to justify the dumping of armenain innceont civilians into the sea, I am just doing it to put in context, where innceont muslims have suffered equally tragic crimes at the hads of armenain extremists.

Can you provide sources for your claims?

Let us go back to my question. I am simply interested to know what percentage of the armenains that were foced into exile acctually survived. A significant portion of them survived, since what today is the armenian diaspora, is basically the survivors of those events, is that not right?

If the purpose of the Empire was the total extermination and annihilation of the armenian race, as was the case with the Holocaust, then why did so many of the people , that could have easily been killed at the hands of the turkish mililtary,  survived? Please, note that we are not talking about a few armenians who were lucky enough to escape, but we are talking about the decendants of the entire armenian diaspora, which today numbers to up to several million.

There was a large Armenian diaspora throughout the world way before the First World War.

Also how many muslims died during the same period in the same area? If my memory serves me right, you quote a number in the range of several thousand, what is your source for this? Are you aware of any research done on the topic and can you quote respectable non-armenian sources?

From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million. Does this loss not merit to be called a Turkish Genocide as well?

Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first time I've ever heard of such massive losses to the turkish "race". Can you quote sources on your figures? This human loss that you talk about, how was it perpetrated?

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 12:17

Out of 2,000,000 Armenians of the Ottoman Empire about 1,200,000 lost their lives, while about 100,000 remained "Armenian" mostly in Constantinople. Another 100,000 150,000 were forcibly Turkified. You then do the math.

The Armenians in diaspora are not only from the period of the Armenian Genocide; only the majority of the Armenians in France, Syria, Libanon, Iraq and Jordan can be counted to this group.

http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/history/en/getHistory.cgi?7= =292=

The number of Armenians in the world in 1914 was approximately 4,000,000, roughly distributed thus: 2,000,000 in the Ottoman Empire, 1 700,000 in the Russian Empire, 100,000 in Persia, and 200,000 elsewhere.

1,300,000 lived in Eastern Armenia (Kars, Nakhichevan, Karabakh and Akhalkalaki) while 1,400,000 lived in Western Armenia and Cilicia.

The loss of the "Turkish race" was not the act of the government of Armenia. The Armenian Genocide was the directed act of the Ottoman Empire. If Turkey lost lives in the WWI, it was because the joined the war, not because other nations implemented ethnic cleansing aginst them.

Edited by armenica
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 12:21
" The autoriciites comitted by armenains and russians are very  well documented."

By who? The Turkish government? No one is denying that Turks died at the hands of Armenians. But those who died were far, far, far smaller in number...and died as a result of Armenian retaliation to the Genocide.

"if the purpose of the Empire was the total extermination and annihilation of the armenian race, as was the case with the Holocaust, then why did so many of the people , that could have easily been killed at the hands of the turkish mililtary,  survived? Please, note that we are not talking about a few armenians who were lucky enough to escape, but we are talking about the decendants of the entire armenian diaspora, which today numbers to up to several million."

It wasnt few Armenians who escaped. If 1.5 million of them died, then 0.5 million have escaped. While it is true that the Diaspora in majority contains the survivors of those Armenians, there are also Armenians who have left Armenia durin 1980s and 1990s.

The Ottoman government was not as organized as the Nazu regime was, so they couldnt round up every Armenians...

" From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million. Does this loss not merit to be called a Turkish Genocide as well?"

First of all I dont think the number is 5.5 million. But, what does this have to with the Armenians. How is it the fault of an Armenian child that Turks died in the Balkans in 1870. Dont forget that Turks were the ones who conquered others, and the separatists in those countries were fighting for their independence, although I am not saying that is justifies killing civilian populations, especially women and children.

now you answer this question...why are there 40 thousand Armenians in Turkey now, while a decade ago there were more than 2 million? Who, if not the government has the power to eliminate almost the whole population?

Edited by mamikon
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 10:29

Originally posted by mamikon

" The autoriciites comitted by armenains and russians are very  well documented."

By who? The Turkish government? No one is denying that Turks died at the hands of Armenians. But those who died were far, far, far smaller in number...and died as a result of Armenian retaliation to the Genocide.

Not the Turkish Government, the entire turkish nation.

"if the purpose of the Empire was the total extermination and annihilation of the armenian race, as was the case with the Holocaust, then why did so many of the people , that could have easily been killed at the hands of the turkish mililtary,  survived? Please, note that we are not talking about a few armenians who were lucky enough to escape, but we are talking about the decendants of the entire armenian diaspora, which today numbers to up to several million."

It wasnt few Armenians who escaped. If 1.5 million of them died, then 0.5 million have escaped. While it is true that the Diaspora in majority contains the survivors of those Armenians, there are also Armenians who have left Armenia durin 1980s and 1990s.

Thank you for the clarification.

The Ottoman government was not as organized as the Nazu regime was, so they couldnt round up every Armenians...

" From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million. Does this loss not merit to be called a Turkish Genocide as well?"

First of all I dont think the number is 5.5 million. But, what does this have to with the Armenians. How is it the fault of an Armenian child that Turks died in the Balkans in 1870. Dont forget that Turks were the ones who conquered others, and the separatists in those countries were fighting for their independence, although I am not saying that is justifies killing civilian populations, especially women and children.

I did not blame the Armenians specifically for this loss of human life. They were but one of the many reasons that caused this. Just wanted to pu things in perspective and in context. The Turkish race (or maybe the more correct term is the Muslim race) had suffered a greater loss in absolute terms than the Armenian race. Had Turkey lost the war against Russia and Armenia, the human loss for the Turks would have been even greater.

now you answer this question...why are there 40 thousand Armenians in Turkey now, while a decade ago there were more than 2 million? Who, if not the government has the power to eliminate almost the whole population?

Armenians were exiled and ethnically cleansed from their homes, just like there are not turks in the Azeri territories occupied by Armenia. The only difference is that Armenians have suffered a far larger mortality rate during their exhile, which may qualify this "relocation" as a genocide.

In comparison the mortality rate for Turks exhiled from Bulgaria in 1878 during the Russian intervention was maybe slightly lower but it was equally catastrophic, half of all turks (mainly those that were in mixed region and in the big cities) were exhiled (bulgarians would say they fled for fear of reprisals), and every second of those exhiled  was massacred or perished on the way. Many died of hunger because the Empire had no resources to deal with the influx of refugees.

Only compact purely turkish regions like the Eastern Rhodopes and the Deliorman remained intact.  Maybe in comparison to us the disadvantage the Armenians had was that they were not an absolute majority in any of the regions so they were much more vulnerable.

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 10:39

Originally posted by mamikon

" From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million.

What do you think the number is then? Can you point to a credible source that will justify your claim that the number is lower?

I quote this number from a work by McCarthy, also there is a very good work by Eminov where he gives similar estimates. The massacres comitted by the christian forces in the Balkans against the muslims are described in detail in those works. It is noteworthy that some Eastern Armenian participated in those (general Adrianik and his plunders around Edirne).

There is also this interesting passage from the Carnegie Report on the behavior of Armenians during the first Balkan wars. There were quite a few of them, and in fact there are still quite a lot of them (my neighbours are actually Aremanian):

No. 10. BORIS MONCHEV, Bulgarian Mayor of Dede-Agatch.
This witness confirmed Lieutenant Fisher's account, believed that not more than twenty Turks were killed in the massacre, and insisted that the local Armenian porters (hamals) 'had taken the 'chief part in the disturbances. There were in the town fully 8,000 Turkish refugees, of whom all the men were armed and had taken part in the fight outside the town, from 7 to 9 p.m. After the first disastrous night, everything was done to maintain order by a commission which included the Greek bishop and himself. The 142 Macedonian volunteers obeyed their orders. The Bulgarian army returned to the town six days later, November 25, and order was fully restored.

Source:

http://dspace.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/1455/1/Carn egie_MacedMuslims_1912.pdf

Of course the 5.5 million number does not refer to the muslims killed by armenians, it refers to the total turkish loss all over the empire from the same time period, and Armenians defintely contributed to this toll by their fight for independence, and Turkish historians estimate the number of Turks killed by armenians is 500-600000.

Edited by bg_turk
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 11:16

Of course the 5.5 million number does not refer to the muslims killed by armenians, it refers to the total turkish loss all over the empire from the same time period, and Armenians defintely contributed to this toll by their fight for independence, and Turkish historians estimate the number of Turks killed by armenians is 500-600000.

What Turkish casualties have to do with the Armenian Genocide is still a question to me. Armenian 80 years old women and smal children in Van and Sasoun had most likely never even heard about Balkan.

Thanks God for MaCarthy and Halacoglu, because without them I don't know how you would have made it this far denying the whole thing.

And finally, Armenians NEVER demanded or requested indepence prior to the Armenian Genocide. This is well documented in the Armenian requests and demands in the treaties of San Stefano and later in the Berlin Congress. All they demanded was implenetation of reforms in Armenian provinces and cultural autonomy WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE!!! These are available on the net if you wish to read them. 

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by armenica

Thanks God for MaCarthy and Halacoglu, because without them I don't know how you would have made it this far denying the whole thing.

Can you please clarify what am I denying and how does McCarthy help this denial?

Is it a "denial" to uncover the massacres suffered by the Turks at the hands of Armenians? Old Women and Children were killed on the Turkish side too, in fact the casualties were overwhelmingly women and children because these are the only ones that remained behind while men were fighting the Russians and their East Armenian colaborators.

[/quote]

This is well documented in the Armenian requests and demands in the treaties of San Stefano and later in the Berlin Congress. All they demanded was implenetation of reforms in Armenian provinces and cultural autonomy WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE!!! These are available on the net if you wish to read them. 

These were the demands of Bulgaria too. It did not gain its independence outright, initially it was a vassal of the Sultan within the framework of the Ottoman Empire.

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 18:38
Armenians never had all the ressources necessary to carry out a state level genocide. They were barely able to take care of themselves, especially back in 1915.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:14

Originally posted by Artaxiad

Armenians never had all the ressources necessary to carry out a state level genocide. They were barely able to take care of themselves, especially back in 1915.

No they did have the resources, after all they were aided by Russia.

Besides turks too were barely able to take care of themselves. Their country was in ruins and invaded from all sides. They were struggling to form their state from the ruins of the Ottoman empire.

Edited by bg_turk
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:54

Their country was in ruins and invaded from all sides. They were struggling to form their state from the ruins of the Ottoman empire.

I thought that happened after the Ottoman empire sought out to massacre the Armenians, and after it lost the War and signed the Svres treaty.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 21:10

Their country was in ruins and invaded from all sides. They were struggling to form their state from the ruins of the Ottoman empire.

I thought that happened after the Ottoman empire sought out to massacre the Armenians, and after it lost the War and signed the Svres treaty.

This guy who deny's to remember Khojali i assume he doesnt wanna remember what their proud-ancestors did in Kokand (in Uzbekistan) with those 40 000 civilians....

Or is this a lie too?

Edited by DayI
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 22:03
Kokand? What are you talking about DayI?
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:02
Originally posted by DayI

This guy who deny's to remember Khojali i assume he doesnt wanna remember what their proud-ancestors did in Kokand (in Uzbekistan) with those 40 000 civilians....

Or is this a lie too?

People got killed in Khojali, but if Khojali was a "genocide" then all other ethnical clashes are so also. Don't banalize the meaning of "genocide". What about sumgait then?

Did Armenians committ genocide in Uzbakistan?!?! This should be interesting ti hear about.

Justice View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 14:48

Our Turkish friends should understand that nobody is directly blaiming them for the Genocide. They must understand though that the recognition assists in the better prevention of new Genocides.

Raphael Lemkin  (April 1946) on his definition of Genocide stated:

''A ruthless regime finds it easiest to commit genocide in time of war'' ... and this has been the case of the Young Turks.

Whoever denies the Armenian Genocide is either amnesiac, blind or both.

THEY WILL NOT PASS
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 02:21
Originally posted by Justice

Our Turkish friends should understand that nobody is directly blaiming them for the Genocide. They must understand though that the recognition assists in the better prevention of new Genocides.

True! The present Turkey's action is more regarded as "rubbing salt in the wound", by totally denying any possibility of the occurance of the Armenian Genocide. However, Turkey as a  heir to the Ottoman Turkey, both its assets and debts, is indirectly liable for  losses (economical etc.).

''A ruthless regime finds it easiest to commit genocide in time of war'' ... and this has been the case of the Young Turks.

I wish it would be that easy to convince people...

The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 05:17

From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million.

In the time of the Armenian Genocide were killed roughly 1,5 milion armenians. All the World knows that !

In the time of WWII were killed roughly 6 milions jews. All the World knows that !

From 1870 til 1920  the turkish race suffered a human loss of 5.5 million. Only bg_turk knows that !     

I don`t want to offend someone, this is just a joke.

Edited by The Chargemaster
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 07:03
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

In the time of the Armenian Genocide were killed roughly 1,5 milion armenians. All the World knows that !

I dont care what "all the world" knows but what i care is the number of the victims, in the ottoman era whasnt there even 1.5 million armenians living in...

armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 07:14
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by The Chargemaster

I dont care what "all the world" knows but what i care is the number of the victims, in the ottoman era whasnt there even 1.5 million armenians living in...

That's a very healthy attitude not carying about what the entire world says (sarcasm...)

http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/history/en/getHistory.cgi?7= 1=247

At the same time, the Ottoman government was busy altering the statistics to show a smaller Armenian population in the Armenian provinces, so that they could be described as an insignificant minority. 108

Before the Armenian Question arose, the official Ottoman estimate of the Armenian population in the Ottoman Empire was fairly significant. The official book of Turkey, compiled by Sallahedin Beg in 1867, puts the Armenian population in the Ottoman Empire at 2,400,000. 109 As soon as the Armenian Question emerged, in the context of the Russian-Ottoman war of 1877-1878, the Ottoman official books showed an astonishing decrease in the number of Armenians, thanks to manipulated statistics.

During the 1880 negotiations with the European powers, the crown prince of the Ottoman Empire, Abedin Pasha, submitted the population figures of the six Armenian provinces in the empire, Erzurum, Van, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Kharpout and Sivas (also Aleppo, Adana and Trabizond), 620,000 Muslims (Turks, Kurds and Arabs) 727,000 Armenians and 283,000 other Christians.

This aberration did not escape unnoticed. The joint letter which the ambassadors of the major powers addressed to the Ottoman government on September 7, 1880, included the following: "Among the characteristics of these provinces is the largeness of the number of the Christian population in the majority of the parts" and "that alone is proof that the Sublime Port is trying to decrease the signification of this paragraph [paragraph 61 in the Berlin Treaty] and this he wishes to achieve by comparing the number of Christian inhabitants to the total population. However, the relation which the Sublime Port states is in conflict with the accurate figures at hand and the major powers regard them as incorrect." 110

Sir Edwin Pears observed that the total population in these six Armenian provinces was approximately 2 600 000, of which around 1 200 000 were Armenians. 111 The Armenians had a relative though not an absolute majority, while the Muslim population in these provinces consisted of a mix of Turks and Kurds in equal halves. On the other hand, the Armenians had an absolute majority in at least two out of the six Armenian provinces, in Van and Bitlis (old Moush).

Subsequently the Ottoman Empire was very careful in revising these figures to suit their purpose. The figures presented by Vital Cuinet, who worked for the Ottoman government, in his publication about Asian Turkey (1890, 1894), were assembled with great care to make the Armenians appear an insignificant minority in the Armenian provinces. 113

108) Se L. de Contenson, Chrétiens et Musulmans, Paris, 1901, p. 216-217

109) Salaheddin Bey, La Turquie à l'Exposition Universelle de 1867, Paris, 1867, p. 216-217

110) Blue Book, Turkey, 1881, nr. 6, p. 140-146

111) Sir Edwin Pears, Life of Sultan Abdul-Hamid, London, 1917, p. 215

113) About the credibility of Vital Cuinet's figure refer to H. Lynch, Armenia, London, 1901, vol. II, p. 79 and also L. de Contenson, Chrétiens et Musulmans, Paris, 1901, p. 125

Edited by armenica
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 09:26

THAT`S RIGHT ! I THINK SO TOO !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>