Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zulus and Boers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Surenas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Surenas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zulus and Boers
    Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 08:29
hello all,
My fav movie of all time is Zulu, i after i first watched it i became fascinated with the Zulu warrior, i started reading a number of books on them. But none of them ever went into the life of the zulu before the Zulu war of 1879, especially their relationship with the boers.
I know they had a number of battles but can anyone give me some examples of how they turned out and how each side faired.
              Cheers
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 13:16

The Boer/Zulu War of 1838/9

Can't find any website, I'll let you try.

The Zulus attacked an massacred Boer settlers and camps in the Transvaal, so the Boers sent an expedition. The Zulus ambushed it and nearly destroyed it. The Boers tried again and caught the Zulus at Blood River and shot down 10,000 after that the Zulus had a civil war.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 13:30

The first clash between afrikaaners/boers and zulus I know of occured on 16-17th feb 1838 at the Bushmans and Bloukrantz Rivers, were several boer encampents were taken completely by surprice in night attacks. This attack followed the massacre of Piet Retief and his unarmed men at emGungundhlovu on feb 6th. The zulus were lead by Ndlela kaSompisi. Nearly 500 were killed by the zulus, most of them were noncombatants (200 were black camp followers). Some boer camps were warned and managed to form their wagons in laagers which the zulus couldn't penetrate. Ndlelas warriors took lots of cattle.

On 6 april Piet Uys and Hendrick Potgeiter lead 347 boers against the Zulu capital emGungundhlovu. they were howewer trapped by a zulu ambush at the eThaleni Mauntains as they collected cattle (set out as a decoy). The boers fled leaving Uys dead. On the same day another zulu army defeated a force of natal settlers who had raised 4 000 blacks to attack zulu territory. The zulus followed up the success by raiding into Natal. Zulu raids in August on boer camps on the Bushmans River were howewer repulsed with great cost to the zulus.

In December Andries Pretorius lead a boer commando into zulu territory, camping at the Ncome River on 15 December 1838. More than 10 000 zulus under the famous Ndlela attacked the boer's wagon-laager for hours, but were unable to penetrate it. As the exhausted zulus dwindled, Pretorius sallied his men on horseback and turned the zulu retreat into a full scale rout. More than 3 000 zulu dead were counted on the field, whereas the boers had not a single dead! As the Ncome River was coloured red with zulu blood the Boers dubbed the fight "The Battle of Blood river" (Bloet river).

After the defeat of the zulu impis Pretorius captured the deserted capital, and narrowly escaped a zulu ambush on the Mfolozi River. After the zulu defeat at Blood River, many regiments revolted against king Dingande, who was defeated by his half-brother Mpande who allied himself with the boers.

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 08:58
And then the English came, and had overcome both Zulus and Boers...Tragic!
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2012 at 18:11
What position did the Boers take during the 1879 Zulu War?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2012 at 18:43
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2012 at 19:51
I think this topic might interest Jaj and Bulldog
Terry View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2014 at 07:46
The Boers / Voortrekkers help Mpande (Zulu Prince) to flee from the British who wanted to destroy the House of the Zulu Kings.  Andries Pretorius himself proclaimed Mpande King there after.
 Post Reply Post Reply