Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Christianity
    Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 17:11
it is funny how many in the US think they(right) want or would impose a christian theocracy. A distiction of impose and preserve needs to be made.
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 19:50
Originally posted by JanusRook

Actually Temujin I thought of that from the Triumph of the Will when I wrote it.

Do you disagree in its great uniting message though?

I just like the idea of thinkin' bout going to Europe and seeing still-running temples to Odin and Zeus and Brits with long hair running around with sickles.

The only way you could have a complete absence of Christianity would be if Jesus did not exist.

The Christians could have just stayed in the Middle East, or they could be a minority

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:58

Originally posted by Catt

it is funny how many in the US think they(right) want or would impose a christian theocracy. A distiction of impose and preserve needs to be made.

so by saying Preserve the theocracy you are admitting it already exists?

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 22:05
Well in reality you cant preserve what never existed. Ofcourse i was simply refering to things such as 10 Commandments in courts, prayer in school,ect. Not even saying i agree with them, just can see the difference.
lol lets not turn this political, i need to come up with an answer to the topic at hand.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 00:48

If Christianity never took root in the Roman Empire.....

Then Armenia would still be the world's first Christian nation, as they became so at least a decade before the Roman Empire, except right now it would probably be the only Christian nation.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 10:56
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

If Christianity never took root in the Roman Empire.....

Then Armenia would still be the world's first Christian nation, as they became so at least a decade before the Roman Empire, except right now it would probably be the only Christian nation.

Ethiopia also became Christian before the Roman Empire did.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 10:59
As did Egypt.

I reckon there would be alot more Arians running around Europe, probably European christianity would be alot more hetrodox, with pre-christain stuff mixed in, kind of like Alevis in Turkey today.
Arrrgh!!"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 13:55

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Ethiopia also became Christian before the Roman Empire did.

It must be after the year 301 though. Do you know exactly which year?

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 00:19

whether Europe was christian or not it would have changed little. The Franks would have been in Gaul. THe Franks wanted to model themselves like the Romans.  Although  Christianity helped into the integration of Franks and Gauls into one people and one kingdom. Well i think Christianity was important for european unity.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 18:01

Originally posted by Temujin

and what has christianity to do with English food?

You know, the christian believes about self affliction, penitency and all that of stuffs....

Just kidding you Cwyr.

I have never eat english food. It is true that you guys have the meat cake ?

Regards

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 19:09
Meat cake?
Nope, been watching too many episodes of Friends

You know, the christian believes about self affliction, penitency and all that of stuffs....

Well the early Monastic tradition in Briton, round about 500 AD to 800/900 AD, especialy in Wales did have strict dietry regimes, no meat, basic vegetable stews (hence the leek as one of St. David's symbols), or better yet, to live off just water and bread and herbs, and no booze either.
Though by the time the medival age kicked in, after the Normans invaded, the monks became more lax in their ways, but then they were amoung the richest people in the land, and well, its a shame to waste all that wealth
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12