Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing
    Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 16:28
"Means" is correct.

BTW, did you actually get #10 at the last minute or did you hold back the correct answer until then?

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 18:08
So what happens when the quiz ends round 2 in a tie?
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 18:15
That I'll go and write harder questions for the next quiz. 

I think a tie is a fine way to conclude the quiz.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 19:11

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

"Means" is correct.

BTW, did you actually get #10 at the last minute or did you hold back the correct answer until then?

Only two cultures used blinding as a way of deposing their rulers.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 19:35
Answers to the questions of round one have been posted on the first page of this thread.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 19:42
'm sorry q.16 dissapointed you  if it makes you feel better it took along time to come up with the defence for that answer
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 20:24
No problem. I wrote almost all of my questions the night before the quiz, so I definately missed something there. Actually, you were the only one who got the "scythian" part of the question, so at least that's good.

So how did you like the questions this time?

After the last quiz, I wanted to make a more challenging quiz. However, what I primarily had in mind was to make the quiz consist of a greater number of challenging questions while not necessarily making the challenging questions more challenging. If you noticed, compared to the last quiz, this quiz has a not of questions that were difficult to google, while in the last quiz, only 3-4 were so. In this quiz, most of the questions between 7-17 were intended to be questions that could not be simply googled using keywords if you didn't know where to look.

However, the fact that some of you got all of them right really surprised me.

But if questions on the level of No. 14 are what you like, then I guess we can try more of stuff like that in the next quiz!

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 21:00

No No No  no more questions like 14 ..... please 

First thoughts on the quiz - it is great to see so many people playing. I think that is in part due to the range in difficulty in the questions making it possible for those that are not obsesed with searching able to participate and stretch their abilities abit and stumble accross new intrests . and you find out the darnest things. ( I didn't know wasabi kills paristes in fish but I do now cause of TQ)  I like the idea of more questions that are difficult rather than more difficult questions.  I'd like to see the average quiz being 20 questions in lenght with a balance like you did this time. Too many of those criptic questions (like14) combinded with your way of updating scores would make for an impossible quizz and would surly loose my intrest (and I suspect many others) very quickly.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 21:02
In the process of doing the Total Quiz and stumbling upon not so correct answers at first, I have a couple of ideas for questions for the next total quiz.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 23:24

16. This historical region takes it name from a river whose ancient name that resembles a type of animal. This region was one of the most highly contested in history and was part of many empires. According to work of a certain European poet, one of the rulers who ruled the region was a Scythian. What is the name of this region? (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: Transoxiana. Transoxiana, a region in Central Asia east of the Caspian Sea, was called so because it was the land across ("trans") the River Oxus. One of the most important cities in Transoxiana was Samarkand, a rich trade city that was also capital of the empire of Tamerlane (Timur Lenk). The English playwright Christopher Marlowe wrote a play titled Tamburlaine, loosely based on the historical Tamerlaine. In the play, Tamburlaine is a scythian shpeherd.
    Moderator's notes: I decided to accept Mesopotamia as an alternate answer, as it was known as the land between two rivers, one of which was the Tigris. I think semantically, the relation in the case of Mesopotamia is valid for question. It also happens that Tamerlane's empire extended into Mesopotamia. However, I was largely dissapointed in this, since having Mesopotamia as an answer makes the question much easier.

Mesopotamia was my initial reply (a little unconvinced try), yet, as I didn't get the point initially and couldn't figure Transoxiana, I kept searching and submitted Bosnia.

Bosnia should be a better answer than Mesopotamia, I think, because it's speculated that the river Bosna, from which the country takes its name is derived from "bos" (bull in Latin), among other etymological speculations. Instead Mesopotamia does not derive it name from the Tigris directly.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 23:37
Ahhh but.... another proper name for the area is The tigis euphrates valley. and the anceint laungage  of that district the name was Tigr which sounds like an animal andthen there is the poet christapher marlow and his work Tramelaine the great mentioning the scythian shepard who ended up ruling that area 
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 23:40
Yeah, the Tamburlaine part narrows the region down to SW Asia.  But still, there was more than one region that qualified. I should've said that it also had to contain the Tamerlane's capital...
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:26
combinded with your way of updating scores

Lol. Well I'm only doing the interval checking that so it's more fair to people who aren't in the same time zone as I am. If I checked continuously, that would favor people near the USA east coast.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:42
I don't want to sound like a whiney bitch, but I could have sworn that I had put Forrest down with the KKK for question 17. I think I put that in my first attempt at answering it. I could be wrong though, and might have put another name with the group that they led as the KKK, but I thought I put Forrest.

I know it's just .33 of a point but I am just a little curious if I was an idiot and put the wrong name down with the KKK.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 01:43
No, you're right. I'm getting bad at this. Sorry!

All scores will be re-checked thoroughly for the final score when round 2 is over. Hopefully, I'll catch all the errors if there are any more left.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 01:57
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

No, you're right. I'm getting bad at this. Sorry!

All scores will be re-checked thoroughly for the final score when round 2 is over. Hopefully, I'll catch all the errors if there are any more left.

Whew! No, it's ok, you've got a lot to do and mistakes are bound to occur. I was more concerned that I screwed myself out of a portion of a point with sheer stupidity on my part. Now I won't have to verbally berate myself as my dog looks on wondering why the heck he is stuck with a crazy lady who yells at herself. 
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:06
i wrote euphrates for 16.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:22
Originally posted by Dawn

Ahhh but.... another proper name for the area is The tigis euphrates valley. and the anceint laungage  of that district the name was Tigr which sounds like an animal andthen there is the poet christapher marlow and his work Tramelaine the great mentioning the scythian shepard who ended up ruling that area 

I'm not complaining: I got the point anyhow. Just that I thought that Bosna fulfilled the conditions better than Mesopotamia - though regarding the Scythian ruler, I got satisfied with a mention of Alans ruling it for some time (Alans are supposed to be Scythians or Sarmatians).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 04:15
I'm writing on behalf of TheMightyPimento (a friend I got to try the quiz who is not a member). He is sure that the answer he submitted for number 4 was correct. Could you please double check it? 

Thank you
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 04:49

Originally posted by Dawn

Tigris doesnt only sounds like an animal but in greek language it means exactly 'tiger'.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>