Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing
    Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 13:08

Total Quiz XI
(Part 3)

TOTAL QUIZ XI.3 HAS ENDED. THE NEXT TQ WILL BE IN APRIL

Introduction: TQ is a history trivia contest. Anyone is free to participate and the contest is open to all forum members and guests.

Instructions: Go to the questions page enter your name and submit answers to the questions. You are allowed an unlimited number of submissions and you may use any source, reference or search engine to help you with your answering. Points are awarded for correct answers. The participant with the most points win. The scoreboard will be updated at 4-hour intervals when possible. Only use the answer sheet to submit answers, DO NOT post answers on the forum.

Scores:

NickNameQ1Q2Q3Q4Q5Q6Q7Q8Q9Q10Q11Q12Q13Q14Q15Q16Q17Total
Dawn111111111111(1)2111 18
Decebal1111111111111(2)
(1)11 18
poirot1111111(1)11111011(1) 16
BoudiccasWrath11111111101110110.66 14.66
gcle200311110100.5000102
fastspawn11111111100110000.3311.33
Antipathy1111111100101001011
Maju11111110000100110.33 10.33
Justinian11111111001100000 10
TemplarScribe11111101101000001 10
TheMightyPimento11111111100000000.66 9.66
Kapıkulu11111101001000000 8
Cezar11111110000000000 7
Dave Dingleberry11111110000000000 7
Mixcoatl11110110000000010 7
Serge L11111101000000000 7
Ahmed The Fighter11111100000000000 6
Achilles11100010001000000 5
ulrich von hutten11111000000000000 5
rider111(.25)1000000000000 4.25
Fejedelem1110.250000000000000 3.25
Mila1110.250000000000000 3.25
Jim crow11000010000000000 3
Nagyfejedelem11100000000000000 3
Arpa10100000000000000 2
Kagan10000000000000000 1
Phallanx00000000100000000 1
Yiannis10000000000000000 1

Scores in parentheses signify bonus points for authored questions.

Thank you for playing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROUND TWO QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

14. Though considered a barbarian, the blood of emperors ran through his veins. A great warrior, his reign was part of the golden age of his country. He also founded a city named after himself which was for a while to become the capital of an even greater country than his own. Who is he? (Hint: Part of his name refers to a warrior fighting with no one by his side. His crown, still preserved today, is the subject of legends and has been used to support a controversial idea. The fact that he was a descendant of emperors must be taken literally.) (Submitted by Decebal)
  • Answer: Vladimir Monomakh (AD. 1053-1125), He was the son of a daughter of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine IX Monomachos, with Monomachos meaning "He who fights alone." Vladimir was the ruler of Rus and founder of the city of Vladimir, an important capital of Russia. His crown was said to have been given to him by the Emperor of Byzantium, a claim used to support Moscow as the Third Rome.

ROUND ONE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1. In 1492, who set sail from Spain to the new world? (Submitted by Invictus)
  • Answer: Christopher Columbus
2. What important revolutionary leader fought against Spanish colonial control in South America and was known as The Liberator? (Submitted by Invictus)
  • Answer: Simon Bolivar
3. What 12th century Muslim leader is known for his leadership against the crusaders and whose achievements include the recapture of Jerusalem and victory at Hattin? (by Invictus)
  • Answer: Saladin
4. The Charge of the Light Brigade: In which war and battle did the charge happen? Who was the commander of the Light Brigade? What was the units name that supported the Light Brigade (French unit)? Who is the author of the original poem, 'Charge of the Light Brigade'? (Answer all four parts to receive full points) (by Rider)
  • Answer: The charge happened in the Crimean War, in the year 1854, at the Battle of Balaclava. The Commander was Earl or Lord of Cardigan. The supporting unit's name was Chasseur d'Afrique (Hunters of Africa). The author of the original poem is Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
5. The capital of Korea has been approximately located at the same area since the Joseon dynasty. When Yi Seonggye went out searching for a capital, he first went to the Daejeon area. While there, a geomancer informed him that he could not make his capital there, as it would be the capital of the next dynasty. Taking this in mind, he arrived in what is now present day Seoul and made that his capital. The current capital of South Korea has gone through numerous name changes. In Baekje times it was called Wiryeseong, in Joseon it was called Hanseong, and in modern day South Korea, the city is referred to as Seoul. What old Shilla word is the word Seoul derived from and what does it mean? (by Gubook Janggoon)
  • Answer: Derived from Seorabeol. (Seorabul, Surabul, ect.) Means: "Capital"
6. These two Japanese clans, often fierce rivals, spearheaded the Meiji Restoration (by Gubook Janggoon)
  • Answer: the Shimazu and the Chosu
    Moderator's note: Satsuma was also accepted, although Satsuma is the name of the region and the clan was named Shimazu
As in the previous quiz, the questions were arranged in approximate order of difficulty. Questions 1-3 were intended to be easier questions. The next three required more research, and question 7 and onward were written in a riddle-like style as more challenging questions.

7. As a teenager he went to study at the University of Oxford. However, it was a trip to another city that prompted him to compose one of the most important writings on imperial history a work that took him about 15 years to finish. Many such as Churchill praised his work. In All Empires Forum, however, his work has seen more criticism than praise. Who was he? (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: Edward Gibbon. He wrote the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, published in 1776, which has become one of the most important works in western historical writing.
8. I came to court one day with a deer, and told my emperor that it was a horse. My emperor, fearing my power, had no choice but to agree with me. Who am I and who was my emperor. (by Poirot)
  • Answer: Zhao Gao, the chief enunch of the Qin(Chin) Dynasty of China. The emperor was Qin Ershi, or Qin II, the second emperor of the Qin. His "calling a deer a horse" become idiomatic usage in Chinese referring to a deliberate untruth for ulterior motives.
9. I lived in a heavenly palace and had 500 wives though I forbade my subjects to have more than one. I made all property in my kingdom common so I could be called by some to be the first communist. My brother was a famous founder of christianity. Tens of Millions died in the war I started and eventually lost. The general that defeated me had a dish of food named after him that can be found on menus around the world today. Who was the general that defeated me?
  • Answer: Zuo Zong Tang, also known as General Tso, as in the dish "General Tso's Chicken." "I" refers to Hong Xiu Quan, who believed that Jesus was his brother whose territory from his conquest was known as the "Heavenly Kingdom". The war refers to the Taiping rebellion which was the second largest war in history in terms of casulaties.
10. Troublesome times in the family and country - A nomadic power had recently invaded nearby regions. Worse yet, after the death of their father, chaos took hold of the family. The one son who inherited the throne was killed by another son with the help of nomadic allies. However, after achieving the crown, he (the latter) turned against his allies and was captured and later killed in battle. Then, another brother of the two ascended the throne, but was blinded and deposed after only a few years. Eventually, the throne passed on to a son of one of the above. Name the family (dynasty) in which the events took place. (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: The Sassanid Dynasty of Persia. The setting of the question is the late 5th century BC. The White Huns had invaded the region and had become a power east of the Sassanid Empire. In 484, the Emperor Peroz, Son of Yazdegerd II, was killed in battle against the White Huns, after which a period of political chaos ensued until the reign of Kosorau.
11. Father and Daughter. The two lived in a time of invasion, conquest, and uneasiness within the family. The father was described as a warrior of great courage in battle, who led his armies in some of the most dynamic times in history. The daughter wrote about the life and times of her father in a work distinguished for its time. (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: Emperor Alexius Comnenos and his daugher Anna Comnena. Alexius was the emperor of Byzantium at around the time of the First Crusade, a troublesome time for the empire. He probably had the highest reputation of warrior abilities among the emperors: "First to Charge and last to flee." His daughter, Anna, wrote the Alexiad, a history of Alexius' reign. Anna is known as one of the first female historians.
    Moderator's note: I hope You've enjoyed the Byzantine family questions in the recent quizzes!
12. What ancient artifact, which bears the words of a child, was unearthed during a time of war between powers on a continent across the sea from where it was buried? Due to the outcome of the war, the artifact had to be surrendered to another power, although with great reluctance. Name this important artifact, whose name today has reached symbol status. (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: The Rosetta Stone. The Rosetta stone bore the decree of the Pharoah Ptomely V, who was 8 years old at the time. It was discovered during the period of the Napoleonic wars by French scientists who accompanied Napoleon to Egypt. The Rosetta Stone was eventually surrendered to the British. The significance of this artifcat is that it contained both Hieroglyphics and Greek versions of the same text, allowing the decyphering of the ancient Egyptian writing.
13. I am associated with the most powerful men of my time. I am probably the most famous ruler of my very old kingdom and my death brought the end of an era. My successor blackened my name so thoroughly that even hundreds of years later I am still misrepresented in literature and film works. I reigned for 21 years and had 4 children. (by Dawn)
  • Answer: Cleopatra VII of the Ptolemy Dynasty in Egypt. She had one son with Julius Caesar and three children with Marc Antony and ruled from 51 B.C. to her death in 30 B.C. In literature and film works, her life has been regarded as something of a tragedy.
14. (Advanced to Round Two)

15. This king was given his name due to a swarm of flying insects said to have surrounded him at his birth. He built a city named after himself which was modeled on Jerusalem. The city still stands today as a place of pilgrimage and has amazing architecture, unlike any other in the world. What is the name of the king? (by Decebal)
  • Answer: Gebra Maskal Lalibela of the Zagwe dynasty of Ethiopia.  The saintly king was given this name due to a swarm of bees said to have surrounded him at his birth, which his mother took as a sign of his future reign as Emperor of Ethiopia. Lalibela is said to have seen Jerusalem and then attempted to build a new Jerusalem as his capital. As such, many features have Biblical names - even the town's river is known as the River Jordan. It remained the capital of Ethiopia from the late 12th century and into the 13th century.
16. This historical region takes it name from a river whose ancient name that resembles a type of animal. This region was one of the most highly contested in history and was part of many empires. According to work of a certain European poet, one of the rulers who ruled the region was a Scythian. What is the name of this region? (by Imperator Invictus)
  • Answer: Transoxiana. Transoxiana, a region in Central Asia east of the Caspian Sea, was called so because it was the land across ("trans") the River Oxus. One of the most important cities in Transoxiana was Samarkand, a rich trade city that was also capital of the empire of Tamerlane (Timur Lenk). The English playwright Christopher Marlowe wrote a play titled Tamburlaine, loosely based on the historical Tamerlaine. In the play, Tamburlaine is a scythian shpeherd.
    Moderator's notes: I decided to accept Mesopotamia as an alternate answer, as it was known as the land between two rivers, one of which was the Tigris. I think semantically, the relation in the case of Mesopotamia is valid for question. It also happens that Tamerlane's empire extended into Mesopotamia. However, I was largely dissapointed in this, since having Mesopotamia as an answer makes the question much easier.
17. This is a fierce clash between the blue and gray that lasted two days and decided the fate of two historical figures. This is a tale of two opposing figures. One was a loser on the winning side, and became a scapegoat for his superiors, blamed for incompetent command. The other was a winner on the losing side, and, despite being wounded, saved his side from being relentlessly pursued by the victorious enemy. Both figures went on to accomplish more things. The loser on the winning side became a famous writer, and the winner on the losing side became a leader of a famous organization. This is a multipart question:
  1. What was the name of the battle that involved these two figures
  2. 2. Who was the loser on the winning side? What was his most famous piece of writing?
  3. 3. Who was the winner on the losing side? What was the name of the famous organization that he led? (by Poirot)
  • Answer: 1. The Battle of Shiloh 2. Lew Wallace; Ben Hur 3. Nathan Bedford Forrest; Ku Klux Klan 1. The Battle of Shiloh, between the Union and the Confederacy in 1862 during the American Civil War, was one of the bloodiest battles in United States history. 2. The loser on the winning side was Lew Wallace, who was blamed by General U.S. Grant and the public for the heavily casualities suffered by the Union troops. Wallace was unable to position his troops at the ordered locale (Pittsburg Landing)until the fighting was almost over. As a result, he was demoted and transferred from his command. After the American Civil War, Wallace became a famous novelist, whose most popular work was Ben Hur, the best selling American novel i
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 13:25
Good Luck everyone! Thanks to question contributors who have made this TQ possible.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 14:22
The First scoreboard update has been posted. The next updates will be in 4 hour intervals, whenever possible.

I can't believe No. 16 was answered so quickly. Decebal, you must've known exactly what I was talking about.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 14:39
I don't know if it was just me, but I got it right away when I read it. 
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 16:06
Paul, that was a good one, number nine    Decebal, your second question has been beaten

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 16:47
Clarifications:
Q14: "blood of emperors ran through his veins" means that he was a descendent of a line of Emperors.

Poirot, your question has been beaten. (You'll find out by whom at the next score update).
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 17:54
I didn't know we could use search engines. I put "no idea" for half of them, but oh well - a few I knew, I hope.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 17:57

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Clarifications:
Q14: "blood of emperors ran through his veins" means that he was a descendent of a line of Emperors.

Poirot, your question has been beaten. (You'll find out by whom at the next score update).

Just for the record, I spent 1 hr making the mammoth question google free

AAAAAAAAAA

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:08

Originally posted by Mila

I didn't know we could use search engines. I put "no idea" for half of them, but oh well - a few I knew, I hope.

You know, you can keep on trying to get right answers till you get it (but only the last answer between every results update is considered).

Napoleon Bonaparte

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:12
Thanks, Decebal! Dawn told me as well. I will try again soon.

EDIT: I want to see how many I had - I expect 2, maybe 3.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:28
Great participation so far! Please remember that if you see something wrong with the scoring, let me know by PM.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 22:10
Dawn, good job with 17
AAAAAAAAAA

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 00:11
Scores have been updated. There were errors in the scores calculation for Dawn and Poirot during the last update.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 00:22
How can you have a .5 mark on a question that has either 3 or 5 answers?
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 00:37
Thanks for pointing that out. The scores have been revised again.

Question 17 is now officially scored by 1/3'.
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 04:34
did my second round come through?
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 04:43
also could I ask whether the ancient name resembles a type of animal, or the river resembles a type of animal?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 10:01

Originally posted by poirot

Decebal, your second question has been beaten

Congratulations, that was a difficult one. Let's see if you get the first one, which is just as hard, if not harder because you have to use your brain to get it, and not simply search for it.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 10:23
also could I ask whether the ancient name resembles a type of animal, or the river resembles a type of animal?

The river's name looks like a type of animal.

Also, question 10 isn't supposed to be that hard. Think about what regions were influenced by nomads. One answer I recieved, other than the correct answer, was very close.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 12:49
24 hours remaining for the first round of the Total Quiz. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>