Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the United States ready for a female president?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the United States ready for a female president?
    Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 18:30

With Liberia having elected Ellen Johnson Sirleaf as president, Africa's first elected female head of state, and with conservative Catholic Chile having elected Michelle Bachelet, a self-proclaimed "agnostic", a divorcee, a single mother with a out-of-wedlock child, to be the country's first female leader, the question to ask is: Is the United States ready for a female president?

By the way, Condy Rice has denied any speculation of her running for the presidency or even the vice-presidency in the near future. But on the democratic side, we still have Hilary ...

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 18:49
I'm sure somewhere in the bible it forbids women from being US president.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 18:53

No, not even American women want a woman president. They want a daddy figure, a strong guy who protect the nation. I could care less if a woman is elected...well, so long as she isnt a militant feminist.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 18:55
Originally posted by Loknar

No, not even American women want a woman president. They want a daddy figure, a strong guy who protect the nation.

Why? Where does that electra complex come from?

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 19:53
Originally posted by Paul

I think it forbids democracy in itself. Jesus Christ is the King of mankind, and all of the Israelites were lead by male kings that were not elected by the people.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 20:44

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Paul

I think it forbids democracy in itself. Jesus Christ is the King of mankind, and all of the Israelites were lead by male kings that were not elected by the people.

They were chosen by God.  The people would not dare say there was a miscount with God!

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 23:39
At the moment the USA is doing its best to flex its muscles and assert authority in the world. If a woman in the US ran for President she wouldn't stand a chance, the public just wouldn't see her as big and tough enough to represent the nation.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 00:00
Topic: Is the United States Ready for a Female President!

WOW, you know, there used to be a time when a phrase such as this one was unthinkable! Come to think of it, it hasn't been that long ago since women got the right to vote or even have a say in politics. Although, in my opinion, there are many women that are capable of running the United States in an efficient and competent manner, I still don't believe that the U.S. is ready for a female president. Some day, but not yet.

I feel that a good start to slowly introducing the possibility of a woman president is being presented with the new television series entitled Commander-in-Chief, starring Geena Davis as the first female president of the United States. It's a start, anyway!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 00:27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ellen_Johnson-Sirleaf

BBC News calls her (Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf) "Africa's first elected woman leader". Has there been an unelected woman leader before Africa or is she the first of any kind?

* de:Carmen Pereira was pro forma Head of State of Guinea-Bissau for few days in 1984 and Ntombi of Swaziland was a kind of Head of State but not elected. --OY href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UserOY">POY 09:25, 11 November 2005 (UTC)

*There have also been several female prime ministers, but in their respective countries the Prime Minister is appointed and is a secondary role to that of the President (i.e., the female PM isn't the actual leader of the country). --atadyBag href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UseratadyBag">PatadyBag 13:34, 11 November 2005 (UTC)

* Maria do Carmo Silveira is the prime-minister of Sao-Tome and Principe. Sao-Tome and Principe are islands off the west coast of Africa, very close to the continent... would that still be considered Africa, politically? --IronyWrit 19:15, 11 November 2005 (UTC)  - Yes it would, but agains she is a Prime Minister, and I would guess that she was appointed by the President, not elected. (69%29">Jamandell (d69) 19:46, 11 November 2005 (UTC))

Have any countries in the America's ever had a Female head of state? (besides Canada, which has a female, and European, head of state)

* Canada has had Kim Campbell as a female prime minister. However, the prime minister is the head of government, not the head of state. The Queen is represented in Canada by a governor-general. At least the last two have been female.

* There were two in South America, Violeta Chamorro was a female president of Nicaragua from 1990-1996 and Mireya Moscoso from Panama, from 1999-2004. -Raniya

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 01:55
Hillary Clinton is as tough as any guy you could get to run, and people know that. I have no concerns about her not being tough enough.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 02:36

Hillary isnt tough...she a BSer and I'd rather she not run.

Get a woman like Margret thatcher and i'm cool with it.

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 03:19
Hillary's record speaks otherwise. Conservatives just can't admit that she is just as strong as some of their candidates
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 03:30

At present? no. Ever? probably not.

The way I see it is America is in the means of a war, or whatever some would like to call it. So I would have to agree with Constantine in the aspect that America at present and will for some time need and want that powerful figure, something a woman cant give. Now Im not sexist or have anything at all whatsoever against females but in most crucial situations I would say that men generally handle it better. This is just how the two genders are made. Women generally are more emotional people and act on emotions more just as some men do as well but as a whole I would say men are more analytical. In truth if my decision was on two candidates that both had good sound points and opinions on the way a country should be ran and I was in the middle of the road with the two votes and one of those candidates happened to be female than I woukd more than likely vote for the male ONLY because generally I would believe that the man would handle a significant life-threatening/saving chose especially regarding war, in a more non-emotional way. Notice how Ive used the word "generally" a multitude of times.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 04:15
arch.buff your sexist, generally speaking of course

Edited by Leonidas
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 06:00
What was that Im sexist? or sexy?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 08:02
Originally posted by Loknar

I could care less if a woman is elected...well, so long as she isnt a militant feminist.

What about a male president who's a feminist?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 10:01
As long as she is not Condi... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 10:36
Originally posted by Maju

As long as she is not Condi...

Well, being a woman is tough enough in politics, but being a black woman is even tougher. IMO, even Oprah Winfrey, with all her so-called "infinite wisdom", popularity, and money could not stand a chance if she ran for the presidency! As I stated before, I don't believe the majority of US citizens are ready to accept a woman president...much less a black one! IMO, there is still much racial and gender tension existing in the US (and probably in most parts of the world). However, as more and more women become actively involved in politics, I do believe that some day a woman will run the United States....and very effectively, I might ad, if she is the right candidate! I certainly hope to be around when that great milestone in history occurs! I'm ready to cast my vote for her!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 10:46
what should be different ? whether a man or woman ,if they are dependent of the economy and the companys , henchmen of the weapon-lobby ,what then is the diffrence ? if the lady is in sad tradition of maggie thatcher be patient. nothing will change.
i once meet the ex- prime minister bandaraneike of sri lanka.i was very impressed. she invited my wife and me for tea ,cause one of her bodygards told her that we are from the formaly  gdr (it was in 1993!!) ,where mrs. bandaraneike had close connections to .
on iceland we have had a president mrs. Vigdis Finnbogadottir. she was very popular . at her last reelection she had about 90% of the votes.
i think the usa needs a lot of other things first , before it is ready for a female president. but in comparison to the current president, can it get more worse?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 11:03

Not to be outdone by their male counterparts, women leaders tend to be a more radical and ruthless so as to avoid the general stereotypes associated with women in positions of power.  

Having said that, I am all for Hillary Clinton to be the next US president.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>