Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are the five greatest generals of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Conan the destroyer View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the five greatest generals of all time?
    Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 20:13

Su Dingfang

Napoleon

Tamerlane

Zhu Yuanzhang

Hannibal

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 20:30

Originally posted by St. Francis of Assisi

Hannibal Barca is SO NOT overrated.

He didn't invade Italy until the Romans were putting a limit on his occupation of Spain. That's why he crossed the Ebro.

And look at Cannae -that's the foundation for modern military tactics. He was the best general, by far.

Interestingly, the ancients ranked the three greatest generals like this:

1. Alexander the Great
2. Pyrrhus of Epirus
3. Hannibal Barca

Pyrrhus is a very good choice, I think. Some of his battles are amazing!

The Romans only put a limit to Hannibals conquests because they didnt want Hannibals powerbase to continue to grow and thus become a threat to Rome, Hannibal wasnt forced into invading Italy he orchestrated the entire thing. He knew exactly what he was doing when he attacked Saguntum, Romes ally in Spain. Hannibal had every intention of attacking the Romans, he didnt just decide out of the blue one day to just go and cross the alps and invade Italy.

Cannaes great, but thats 1 battle in a campaign that lasted 17 years, most of which were spent achieving nothing of value, Hannibal deserves credit for surviving that long and keeping his army together, but he still failed to achieve any of his objectives in a war he started.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 13:24

Succes and result is important

1.Attila the Hun

2.Fatih Sultan Mehmet (the conqueror)

3.Sultan Suleyman (the magnificent)

4.Liman Von Sanders

5.Mustafa Kemal Atatrk

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 13:45

and only 4 of them are Turks!  but von Sanders of course also fits the pattern because he let the palestine front in ww1 for the turks...

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 16:48

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I think the question is basically impossible, considering that there are many different qualities, let alone the vast number of generals and the evolution of warfare. For example, different criteria include:

1. Size of conquest/campaign
2. Tactical Skill
3. Skill in grand strategy
4. Traditional vs. innovative tactics
5. Charisma
6. Political/Administrative Skill

Many in the list who are great in one area do poorly in others. For example, Hannibal is great for #2, but weak in everything else, while on the other hand, Genghis Khan is strong in #1, #5 and #6 and probably average for the rest. Alexander was strong in #1, #2 and #5, but was especially weak in #6. 

On the whole, I think most of the people in your list of 10 are good picks (although there are far more that were as great), except for Caesar, whom I think shouldn't even be in the top 10 for Roman generals.

I believe that Li Shimin fits all six of your categories.  I just have a personal fetish for Li Shimin.  Don't have time to go through every category and prove how he fits in, but if anyone wants to argue, I will be happy to oblige.

The man saved the Sui emperor from Turks when he was only a teenager using innovative tactics.   He conquered much of China by his mid twenties, outwitting opponent generals who were much older, and personally fought in most of his battles, as he was skilled in archery, cavalry warfare, and the martial arts.  He killed his brothers and forced his father to abdicate the throne so that he could become emperor by the age of 27 (a positive move ).  He doubled the Tang Empire's territory and influence by orchestrating successful campaigns that helped end gok turk dominance in northern and central Asia.  The man's administrative and political skills matched his military brillance, as he chose competent civil servants and helped the Tang Empire grow as an economic power. 

Li Shimin was also a famous calligrapher.  Had he done nothing else, he would have been remembered as one of the best calligraphers of his time.  But his skills as a calligrapher are often overshadowed by his more glorious political and military exploits.

Li Shimin was also famous for his critical works on Sun Tzu's art of war.  His reflections on Sun Tzu's work were published and read by future generations.

Personally, I rank Li Shimin as the most talented man in East Asian history, and rank him even before Genghis Khan, because Genghis' administrative skills paled compared to those of Li Shimin.  In terms of combat, Li Shimin fought in as many skirmishes, if not more, than Genghis, and his skills in cavalry warfare were superb.  Plus, Li Shimin conquered almost 3/4 as much territory as Genghis when he was only 1/2 Genghis' age.  Alexander may have been younger, but was a worse politician.  Hannibal may have been a better tactacian, but did not fare as well in grand strategy.

IMHO, Li Shimin is one of the most well rounded general/tactacian/politician/grand strategists history has ever seen or will see.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 19:08
Originally posted by Temujin

and only 4 of them are Turks!  but von Sanders of course also fits the pattern because he let the palestine front in ww1 for the turks...

Von Sanders and M.Kemal.

They were heroes of Gallipoli war.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 23:11

That movie was good but it makes it seem as though Paton was getting cheated out of leading an army in Europe. There was a good reason that the Allied General Staff didn't trust him; because of his insubordination and stupidity he led his men to slaughter time and time again in Sicily almost totally "screwing" the campaign. Monty did quite a well done job in Sicily while Patton did a horrible job wasting men in his quest for personal glory. In Europe he "saved" the 101st in the Ardennes, when actually he just mopped up the Germans. Back in Africa he didn't do anything. He was brave but he looked for glory which he never found.

Your claim that Monty outdid Patton in Sicily is laughable at best, Patton in face of equally stiff resistence and far more difficult terrain took his objectives ahead of Montgomery and with fewer casualties.  Montgomery's performance was mediocre at best as he allowed an inferior force to hold him up when he should easily overwhelmed them with his vastly superior armored forces.  Whilst Patton's performance, particularly his end run from Palermo to Messina is still being studied in military academies around the world.

He was one of the worse generals of World War II. I rank Monty, Alexander, Eisenhower, Bradley, Rommel, Guderian, Hoth, Rundstedt, Manstein, Manerheim, and Alenbrooke above Patton. Way above Patton. This also means that generals such as Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Napoleon, etc...are ranked higher than Patton. How you put him first? What is your evidence? A film of basic "Patton Shrine" propaganda? You know what is funny, a very good friend of my father is the brother to the man who produced the movie. Just an interesting sidenote.

First, no other general of the Second World War II could have done what Patton did in his Bulge counter offensive.

Hannibal Barca View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 00:08

Your claim that Monty outdid Patton in Sicily is laughable at best, Patton in face of equally stiff resistence and far more difficult terrain took his objectives ahead of Montgomery and with fewer casualties.  Montgomery's performance was mediocre at best as he allowed an inferior force to hold him up when he should easily overwhelmed them with his vastly superior armored forces.  Whilst Patton's performance, particularly his end run from Palermo to Messina is still being studied in military academies around the world.

His performance in Sicily which was one of the most hardheaded and sloppy operations ever conducted? If Monty's performance was mediocre then Pattons was terrible. He simply rumbled his way to Messina losing many men( it was more than Monty I don't know where you got that). Monty was overcautious yes, but he stuck to his objectives and didn't rush therefore he completed the campaign( or his part) with almost excellence while Patton received a grade F for a clumsy and overzealous performance that almost cost the Allies the campaign. Also when it comes to Armored Warfare studies Patton is at the bottom of the list. He is totally overshadowed by the likes of Fuller, Liddlehart, Guderian, Rommel, and actually even Swartzkoff. He was not the most successful commander nor was he close. Nor was he an innovative military thinker.

First, no other general of the Second World War II could have done what Patton did in his Bulge counter offensive.

You have no proof of that statement and I also think its false. For a commander such as Rommel, Guderian, Manstein, Alexander, or even Monty it wouldn't have been that difficult. The only part that actually took some thinking was how to pull his army out of fighting the enemy and then march it 100 miles as quick as possible. The actualy attack on the Germans in the Ardennes was nothing but "clean up."

Edited by Hannibal Barca
"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 01:44

His performance in Sicily which was one of the most hardheaded and sloppy operations ever conducted? If Monty's performance was mediocre then Pattons was terrible. He simply rumbled his way to Messina losing many men( it was more than Monty I don't know where you got that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Husky

The casualties on the Axis side totalled 29,000, with 140,000 captured. The US lost 2,237 killed and 6,544 wounded and captured; the British suffered 2,721 dead, and 10,122 wounded and captured.

while Patton received a grade F for a clumsy and overzealous performance that almost cost the Allies the campaign.

Hardly, Patton merely applied the original plans for the invasion.  The approach favored by Monty was initially only considered should an additional two German divisions from Africa Corp make their way to Sicily this did not occur and thus Monty's desire for caution was largely unneeded.  In its planned implementation Operation Husky would completely fail to apply the superior forces which the Allies brought to bear in Sicily, it was Patton's siezure of Palermo which initiated the coup against Mussolini and Seventh Army's  pincer attack on Messina which finally made the German position unteneble.  Had he obediantly remained on Montgomery's flank Axis forces would have been able to apply stiffer resistance against the British approach.  The Patton performance has been criticized for other matters, atrocities committed by forces under his command, his sacrifice of atleast one amphibious landing party, and his holding up of the final assault on Messina so that he could personally lead the American forces into town.  Yet his drive on Messina, though at times he needlessly sacrificed his troops, was as a whole a well planned, well led and well organized thrust. 

You have no proof of that statement and I also think its false. For a commander such as Rommel, Guderian, Manstein, Alexander, or even Monty it wouldn't have been that difficult. The only part that actually took some thinking was how to pull his army out of fighting the enemy and then march it 100 miles as quick as possible. The actualy attack on the Germans in the Ardennes was nothing but "clean up."

The fact that Patton managed to disengage German forces along his front and tilt his axis of attack 90 degrees northward and advance more than 100 miles into one of the worst blizzards in recent European history to attack the German flank was impressive to say the least.  Where it becomes  astounding is when one considers the necessary shift in supply lines and logistics.  It was a masterpiece of organization on the move and has been widely regarded as one of the greatest manuever's in modern military history for a reason.  Oh and not only was Monty convinced it couldn't be done before hand, but his doddering advance and insistent use of WW1 style tactics allowed the bulk of German forces to escape. 

Also when it comes to Armored Warfare studies Patton is at the bottom of the list. He is totally overshadowed by the likes of Fuller, Liddlehart, Guderian, Rommel, and actually even Swartzkoff. He was not the most successful commander nor was he close. Nor was he an innovative military thinker.

In terms of armored warfare Patton was more a transitional figure.  But in his youth when he commanded American Armored forces in World War 1 he certainly was innovative.   His ideas of using massed tank formations like cavalry to sweep into the enemies rear were visionary to say the least. 

He was one of the worse generals of World War II. I rank Monty, Alexander, Eisenhower, Bradley, Rommel, Guderian, Hoth, Rundstedt, Manstein, Manerheim, and Alenbrooke above Patton. Way above Patton. This also means that generals such as Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Napoleon, etc...are ranked higher than Patton. How you put him first? What is your evidence? A film of basic "Patton Shrine" propaganda? You know what is funny, a very good friend of my father is the brother to the man who produced the movie. Just an interesting sidenote.

As I meant to say in the last post, the individuals you mentioned largley prospered because of the inability of their oponents.  For instance your namesake wasn't so successful once he faced decent commanders in Mercellus and Nero, and for that matter his better in Scipio when he found himself dancing like a puppet on Scipio's strings right up to the battle of Zama.

Finally to clarify my position I don't believe Patton should be placed in the top 5 or the top 10 for that matter, but I do believe him to be one of the finest commanders of World War II.  What Patton needed was a commander as overbearing as he was.  Someone to bust his balls on a constant basis and keep him on a short leash.

Edited by Laelius
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 02:03

Yeah Patton never faced Rommel in battle. The Americans were totally new to the scene of battle and were crushed by Rommel. Rommel was being too pressure3d though by Monty and then there was the fact that the Americans were at his rear, although they really didn't do anything serious to him. He left because of illness shortly after the battle of Kasserine Pass. Let me inform you that this was a critical defeat for the Americans as the force here to face Rommel was very handedly destroyed. The movie didn't even mention that Patton ever faced and defeated Rommel because he didn't. How could he have beaten Rommel when Rommel was in Europe? Patton did have an encounter with the Korps though and he won. Not because of any brilliance but because he had the II Army Corps and he was facing a division, maybe a brigade. His victory in North Africa came because he outnumbered the enemy by more than 10-1. You say that is more brilliant than Rommel beating and whoping British forces from Mersa el Brega all the way into Egypt with less much less than an army always facing at least 3-1 odds?

The force facing Rommel was reamed but hardly destroyed, the movie Patton did mention that Rommel had left Africa before his drive on the Mareth line.  Finally Patton's work with the defeated II corps was impressive to say the least.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 02:50
Originally posted by Tegin

Succes and result is important

1.Attila the Hun

4.Liman Von Sanders

5.Mustafa Kemal Atatrk

Geez could you be more biased?

How the hell you could consider Attila the Hun the best general ever, is not only the dumbest thing i've ever seen, but also the most blatent endorsement of a guy as a general based solely on race I have ever seen.

This may sound crazy but could it be possible that all the best generals in the world wernt Turks or atleast pro-turk in their actions/beliefs?

Perhaps i'm being to radical here in believing that the universe doesnt revolve around Turkey, silly me.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 07:59
Ancient Times

1. Julius Caesar
2. Hannibal Barca
3. Alexander the Great

Medieval Age

4. Belisarius
5. Subotai

Pike and Musquet

6. Great Captain
7. Gustav Adolphus

XVIII, Napoleonic wars and XIX

8. Suvorov
9. Napolen

XX Century

10. Erich von Manstein

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 09:06
Originally posted by Heraclius

How the hell you could consider Attila the Hun the best general ever, is not only the dumbest thing i've ever seen, but also the most blatent endorsement of a guy as a general based solely on race I have ever seen.

This may sound crazy but could it be possible that all the best generals in the world wernt Turks or atleast pro-turk in their actions/beliefs?

Perhaps i'm being to radical here in believing that the universe doesnt revolve around Turkey, silly me.

Hahahaha, this is just funny. Youre soooo offended only that he made a list of best generals and put there 4 Turkic ones? Just let it go, its maybe silly but its his opinion, his best choice...
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 10:55
So what most of us have been Eurocentric in our choices, why should he be singled out when us Caucasoids have been listing mostly Europeans..

Edited by Laelius
Hannibal Barca View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 13:15

His ideas of using massed tank formations like cavalry to sweep into the enemies rear were visionary to say the least.

He surely understood that theory, but he certainly wasn't the first to think of it.

For instance your namesake wasn't so successful once he faced decent commanders in Mercellus and Nero, and for that matter his better in Scipio when he found himself dancing like a puppet on Scipio's strings right up to the battle of Zama.

Who says that generals such as Longus, Varro, Paullus, Flaminus, Penula, Fulbius, etc.. where not capable commanders. Yes Nero and Marcellus were some of the most capable of all Roman generals in history but they still never defeated Hannibal in the field. Hannibal was repulsed in the siege of Nola. Marcellus never defeated him in the field. AS we know sieges weren't Hannibal's strong point. Only Scipio defeated Hannibal in the field. I also find it funny when people begin to think that Cannae was Hannibal's last victory. It wasn't nor was it his last brilliant victory. Lets look at the battles that Hannibal won:

Ticinus 218 b.c.   : minor victory; just a small skirmish

Trebbia 218 b.c.  : Major victory over Sempronius Longus. With around 26,000 he took on the 45,000 strong Roman force and inflicted a whoping 20,000 casualties with very few to himself.

Lake Trasimene 217 b.c. : Hannibal annihilates the legions of Flaminus. He uses his advantage of terrain and numbers to his advantage. Inflicting 15,000 casualties he took on basically none to his own force.

Cannae 216 b.c. : Hannibal defeats a total Roman force of more than 90,000 men with his near 47,000 or less. Using the double pincer manuver the Romans flanks soon crumble. The Carthaginian cavalry finishes the job by attacking the Roman rear and trapping the legionarres in a box. Rome suffered over 70,000 casuaties while the Carthaginians suffered under 10,000.

Next he was repulsed from Nola thrice.

He next defeated Quintus Flaccus at Capua.

Silarus River 212 b.c. : Hannibal successfully destroyed the Roman army under Penula. It is said that no Roman survived.

1st Battle of Herdonia 212 b.c. : Hannibal totally enveloped Fulvius' army. He had set his main army facing Fulvius while he sent around 1500 light infantry to the left flank to launch a surprise attack from the woods and farms. Hannibal also sent a force out to take and hold the road behind Fulvius. THis operation was successful and during the battle Fulvius was attacked from the front, the flanks, and the rear. Both forces numbered around 20,000. Fulvius lost 17,000-18,000 while Hannibal lost very few.

2nd Battle of Herdonia 210 b.c. : Again Hannibal totally overwhelmed the force of Fulvius. Both sides around 20,000 again Fulvius lost about 18,000 compared to Hannibal's few.

The next two battles of Numistro and Asculum were between Hannibal and Marcellus but turned into stalemates. At Grumentum, Nero found himself in an indecisive battle with Hannibal also. Then once again a stalemate occured between Hannibal and Tuditanus at Crotona. THe next battle that Hannibal would fight would be at Zama where he was defeated by Scipio's superior legions.

"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 13:26

I think the five best   generals of all time are:

1.Sun Tzu- inventor of military strategy

2.Alexander, the Great- conquered an enormous area, and kept it under control

3.Hannibal- fought briliantly against the mighty Romans and almost succeeded.

4.Saladin- defeated the third crusade, with few reserves and manufacturing capacity

5.Erich Von Manstein- successfully invaded France, the low countries, and would've knocked Russia out, had Hitler listened ( thank God he didn't)

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 15:48
Originally posted by DayI

Hahahaha, this is just funny. Youre soooo offended only that he made a list of best generals and put there 4 Turkic ones? Just let it go, its maybe silly but its his opinion, his best choice...

Your easily amused.

I wasnt offended, just bored by the predictability of such opinions. National pride obviously takes priority over common sense and honesty with some people it seems. I personally see a problem with the number of people who base ability not necessarily on ability or achievements (though undoubtedly there are examples of great Turks in history), but instead on race and/or nationality.

Edited by Heraclius
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:11

Your easily amused.

I wasnt offended, just bored by the predictability of such opinions. National pride obviously takes priority over common sense and honesty with some people it seems. I personally see a problem with the number of people who base ability not necessarily on ability or achievements (though undoubtedly there are examples of great Turks in history), but instead on race and/or nationality.

Agreed with u.

I know you whas (maybe are) frustated couple days becuz of me, it is remarkeble in some of youre posts. Just dont take such stuff siriously, try to be calm (me too) or let it go.

Kemalist_Mehmet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:21

1.Attila the Hun

4.Ouz Khan

5.Mustafa Kemal Atatrk

Edited by Kemalist_Mehmet
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:27

Your easily amused.

Agreed with u.

I know you whas (maybe are) frustated couple days becuz of me, it is remarkeble in some of youre posts. Just dont take such stuff siriously, try to be calm (me too) or let it go.

Yeah I apologise for our argument the other day, all forgotten.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>