Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kashmir

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kashmir
    Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 11:20
Originally posted by Jhangora

Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Originally posted by strategos

Perhaps Kashmir should just form its own country. Same with the state of assam

That would be fine too. But India needs to agree to de-militarize the area. Pakistan will do this. It was all agreed upon in the UN by Pakistan in the fifties, but India did not agree when it was allowed to keep three times as many troops in Kashmir!!

Also, Assam is a state in the NorthEast of India, near Bangladesh. Azad Kashmir (free Kashmir) is the Pakistani half of Kashmir, which already is an autonomous region. By autonomous, Azad Kashmir, has its own president, who does not take orders from the president of Pakistan. The Azad Kashmiri president is the highest  legislative authority in Azad Kashmir. The governor of Indian occupied Kashmir (Indian half of Kashmir) is the highest legislative authority there), and he can only do things with the approval of the president of India who is Delhi based. To summarize, there is more democracy and more autonomy in the Pakistani half of Kashmir then the Indian half of Kashmir, despite Pakistan not being a total democracy right now.

If I remember correctly Pakistan gifted a portion of the so-called Azad Kashmir to big-brother China.What are your views on that land TeldeIndus.

Explained before. The gift you refer to was a small piece of Kashmir that was given on condition that when the dispute is sorted out, the legitimate Kashmiri government will decide what happens to it. It is irrelevant though. Aksai Chin was "gifted" to China when India lost it in the Sino-Indian war in 1962, Ladakh is also occupied by China. These are not populated regions, they just contain strategically important areas for China. The populated regions are Indian occupied Kashmir and Azad Kashmir. I dont care if the Chinese keep what they have of Kashmir - The Kashmiri people have the right to decide who governs them though on the territory that they live on.

So I guess the Pakistani model of a Partial democracy ruled by a  General is much better than plain run of the mill democracy.

You're misunderstanding, the Pakistan side of Kashmir, Azad Kashmir, has more democracy than the Indian side. It's simple math

Population of India - 1.2 billion

Population of Indian occupied Kashmir - 3 million.

The Kashmiri voice in Indian occupied Kashmir is drowned out by the 1.2 billion other Indian people. Anything that gets done in Indian occupied Kashmir will be done in the interests of the Indian people first, and then the Kashmiris second.

On the Pakistani side, you have their own democratically elected prime minister. It's not full autonomy - this cant be given until India gives their word on plebiscite, but it is their own functioning democracy and the president of Pakistani Kashmir is held accountable. He will be thrown out next election if he does not provide for the interests of the Kashmiris alone.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 07:18

That would be fine too. But India needs to agree to de-militarize the area. Pakistan will do this. It was all agreed upon in the UN by Pakistan in the fifties, but India did not agree when it was allowed to keep three times as many troops in Kashmir!!

Also, Assam is a state in the NorthEast of India, near Bangladesh. Azad Kashmir (free Kashmir) is the Pakistani half of Kashmir, which already is an autonomous region. By autonomous, Azad Kashmir, has its own president, who does not take orders from the president of Pakistan. The Azad Kashmiri president is the highest  legislative authority in Azad Kashmir. The governor of Indian occupied Kashmir (Indian half of Kashmir) is the highest legislative authority there), and he can only do things with the approval of the president of India who is Delhi based. To summarize, there is more democracy and more autonomy in the Pakistani half of Kashmir then the Indian half of Kashmir, despite Pakistan not being a total democracy right now.

If I remember correctly Pakistan gifted a portion of the so-called Azad Kashmir to big-brother China.What are your views on that land TeldeIndus.

Explained before. The gift you refer to was a small piece of Kashmir that was given on condition that when the dispute is sorted out, the legitimate Kashmiri government will decide what happens to it. It is irrelevant though. Aksai Chin was "gifted" to China when India lost it in the Sino-Indian war in 1962, Ladakh is also occupied by China. These are not populated regions, they just contain strategically important areas for China. The populated regions are Indian occupied Kashmir and Azad Kashmir. I dont care if the Chinese keep what they have of Kashmir - The Kashmiri people have the right to decide who governs them though on the territory that they live on.

So I guess the Pakistani model of a Partial democracy ruled by a  General is much better than plain run of the mill democracy.

You're misunderstanding, the Pakistan side of Kashmir, Azad Kashmir, has more democracy than the Indian side. It's simple math

The Kashmiri voice in Indian occupied Kashmir is drowned out by the 1.2 billion other Indian people. Anything that gets done in Indian occupied Kashmir will be done in the interests of the Indian people first, and then the Kashmiris second.

On the Pakistani side, you have their own democratically elected prime minister. It's not full autonomy - this cant be given until India gives their word on plebiscite, but it is their own functioning democracy and the president of Pakistani Kashmir is held accountable. He will be thrown out next election if he does not provide for the interests of the Kashmiris alone.

TeldeIndus have you seen 'Dumb and Dumber'.A real nice comedy.Do you like comedies TeldeIndus.I love them.

Population of India is around 1.0 Billion I guess.

Who are the Indian people.My states population is around 8 million.By your logic my province should join China{as it borders Tibet}.....but wait I got brains man....Chinese population is even more than that of India....so i guess we should join Nepal {since my province also borders Nepal} ...Nepalese population is many times less than that of China or India...and our voice would be heard louder and clearer in Nepal.So Nepalese here we come.

And dear Nepalese brothers and sisters we want our OWN President and Prime Minister who will only look after our interests.

Jai Badri Vishal
Sino Defender View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 08:57

and what's your right to decide what happens to the china's portion of the area based upon? morality?

there's no way that china will let go of it no matter what happens to the situation, and there's chance for you to stand up against china to gain control of the area.

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 06:50

and what's your right to decide what happens to the china's portion of the area based upon? morality?

there's no way that china will let go of it no matter what happens to the situation, and there's chance for you to stand up against china to gain control of the area.

That land is Indian.N I agree with you 'there's chance for us to stand up against China to gain control of the area'.

'DUMB,DUMBER and the DUMBEREST'

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Jai Badri Vishal
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 08:10
Interesting....but I would like to ask my pakistani friend this question:
1. Do you think Pak will offer a referendum in Balochistan
2. Was a referendum offered to East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)

India cannot let go of kashmir due to following reasons:
1. India is a land filled with diversity (you must visit the place to believe) if we offer refrendum to Kashmir...it will be followed by other distinct groups like Punjab, North-east and maybe even tamils after sometime.
2. The reason that Kashmir should go to Pakistan on the basis that most Kashmiris are muslims does not hold water. The lesons of Bangladesh shows language is a stronger bond than religion. There are a lot of other areas in India that are muslim majority. So it just doesn't make sense.
3. Any political party that offers a referendum is infact doing a Hara-Kiri.

I think the best way forward is to getting Kashmiris confidence by humanitarian/ autonomy and reduction of rights abuses (which will fuel terrorism).

Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 08:19

That land is Indian.N I agree with you 'there's chance for us to stand up against China to gain control of the area'.

'DUMB,DUMBER and the DUMBEREST'

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

i mean there's no chance.

it was a typo.

are u a korean or a pakistani/indian?

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 08:21

Originally posted by hexed

1. India is a land filled with diversity (you must visit the place to believe) if we offer refrendum to Kashmir...it will be followed by other distinct groups like Punjab, North-east and maybe even tamils after sometime.
2. The reason that Kashmir should go to Pakistan on the basis that most Kashmiris are muslims does not hold water. The lesons of Bangladesh shows language is a stronger bond than religion. There are a lot of other areas in India that are muslim majority. So it just doesn't make sense.

I think the best way forward is to getting Kashmiris confidence by humanitarian/ autonomy and reduction of rights abuses (which will fuel terrorism).

and china cannot let go of the land for the following reasons:

1, money

2, money

3, money

if you can offer china with money, they will let u buy it back probably.

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 16:44

TeldeIndus have you seen 'Dumb and Dumber'.A real nice comedy.Do you like comedies TeldeIndus.I love them.

Population of India is around 1.0 Billion I guess.

Who are the Indian people.My states population is around 8 million.By your logic my province should join China{as it borders Tibet}.....but wait I got brains man....Chinese population is even more than that of India....so i guess we should join Nepal {since my province also borders Nepal} ...Nepalese population is many times less than that of China or India...and our voice would be heard louder and clearer in Nepal.So Nepalese here we come.

And dear Nepalese brothers and sisters we want our OWN President and Prime Minister who will only look after our interests.

You've missed my point. There's two things your missing in fact. First of all, the Kashmiris on the Indian side did not vote to join India - it was taken by force. Second of all, the Pakistani Kashmiris have more democracy than the Indian Kashmiris, since they have their own president.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 18:44

It's another topic. Feel free to begin one. But here's your answers.

1) Nope. Balochistan had its referendum in 1946 and voted for the Muslim League.

2) A referendum was offered to East Pakistan in 1946. The people of East Pakistan/Bangladesh voted for the Muslim League in the 1946 elections who campaigned under an election manifesto for the creation of the state of Pakistan. If they did not want to be part of Pakistan they should not have voted for the Muslim League. Congress was their other option. Independence was not an option at the time of partition.

Your point about diversity is valid, though it doesnt make refusing the people of Kashmir their plebiscite valid. You can argue that under international law, Kashmiris have the right to plebiscite, Punjab does not - the princely states had their chance during partition to decide who they wanted to go with, including Punjab, Kashmir did not however.

Your second point is both wrong and right. Kashmir is India's ONLY Muslim majority state. You are right that Kashmir should not go to Pakistan on the basis of religion only - let the Kashmiris decide this.

Autonomy would also be good.

Edited by TeldeIndus
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Sino Defender

I think you're wrong. China's part of Kashmir is not important to China now. It did have strategic value when it obtained it. But now China can just nuke everyone or invade them if it liked. There's not much India can do about it. I dont see a problem if China keeps Ladakh anyway.

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 20:18

Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps. Even the ex, pro-India governor of India Kashmir says give it autonomy now from India.

Autonomy best solution to Kashmir issue: Omar
[ Tuesday, January 24, 2006 02:24:27 pmIANS ]

JAMMU: Omar Abdullah, chief of Jammu and Kashmir's opposition National Conference, has said autonomy for the region would be the best solution to the longstanding dispute over Kashmir.

"It is high time to tell the world what an indigenous and best solution for Jammu and Kashmir is," Abdullah said, referring to various ideas being mooted as possible solutions to the five-decade-old dispute between India and Pakistan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1384854, curpg-1.cms

Even PDP is saying the same (popular in the Kashmir Valley)

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1606506,000900010002. htm 

Edited by TeldeIndus
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 21:13

but it wouldn't hurt for china to keep a piece of land, too.

why give it back if u can keep it...

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 21:36
You're just not understanding. If China keeps its parts of Kashmir, it shouldnt affect anything. The Chinese parts of Kashmir have only a few thousand Ladakhs on them, who would probably prefer to be with China. Ideally all of it would be held in a plebiscite, but even if it's not, the Chinese parts of Kashmir contain hardly any people anyway. Holding plebiscite is for the people of Kashmir, and almost all the people are in either Indian occupied Kashmir or Azad Kashmir.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 06:37

1) Nope. Balochistan had its referendum in 1946 and voted for the Muslim League.

2) A referendum was offered to East Pakistan in 1946. The people of East Pakistan/Bangladesh voted for the Muslim League in the 1946 elections who campaigned under an election manifesto for the creation of the state of Pakistan. If they did not want to be part of Pakistan they should not have voted for the Muslim League. Congress was their other option. Independence was not an option at the time of partition.

Yes my friend I agree but the question is will you offer a refrendum to Balochistan now under the prevailing circumstances...

Shiekh Mujhbir Rahman had a support of majority of members in Pak assembly and when it seemed that he will become Paks Prime minister...Military rule was imosed....coz the punjabis/sindhis couldn't see a bengali becoming a prime minister...

also activities like imposition of Urdu on Bengali populace made them ove away from Pak mainland...

You talked about voting for ML during 1946. But that was under the effect of horrible muslim-hindu-sikh riots that ensued...

would Pak have offered a refrendum in Eask pak in 1969... I think not...

Governments will offer referendum under two scenarios:

1. When they know they will win it

2. When they know that there is no other option of winning war.

Second question regarding the muslim aspect of Pakistan. The formation of Pakistan based on religion has failed on two counts:

1. Partition left majority of muslims back in India (120 million)

2. East Pak gained independence, showwing language is more important than religion

3. And please dont talk about love for muslims/ kashmiris...

Interested people should read about atrocities on Bengali muslims of bangladesh by Pak soldiers...you will be surprised by the extent to which muslims perpetrate violence against thier own "brothers" and "sisters"

I am not saying that Kashmiris are happy at J & K and mistakes have been made by the Army which are condemnable...(I do not believe in "my nation right or wong")

But we are moving in a right direction of peace and tranquility in Kashmir by following means:

1. strengthening democracy there (no more sham elections)

2.more autonomy

3. reduction of human abuses

4. more investments/jobs for kashmiris

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 07:26

1, money

2, money

3, money

How much  for whole China.We are interested.

Jai Badri Vishal
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 07:34

1, money

2, money

3, money

How much  for whole China.We are interested.

The total GNP of the planet + ownership of the United States of America.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 07:42

Agreed I give you total GNP of the planet {for 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000001 second} (as you didn't specify the time period)and you get the ownership of USA after you handover China to us.

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 08:42

Yes my friend I agree but the question is will you offer a refrendum to Balochistan now under the prevailing circumstances...

There is no legal justfication for giving them a referendum, unlike Kashmir. I wouldnt mind giving Balochistan a referendum, the uprising is very small, and the majority of Balochis arent a part of it.

Shiekh Mujhbir Rahman had a support of majority of members in Pak assembly and when it seemed that he will become Paks Prime minister...Military rule was imosed....coz the punjabis/sindhis couldn't see a bengali becoming a prime minister...

No . Did you know that Pakistan had TWO East Pakistani presidents and prime ministers before 1971? One was Iskander Mirza. The other was Khawaja Nazimuddin - born in Dhaka, president of Pakistan right from 1948 - 1953! (Pakistan's beginning). (Bengali Prime ministers of Pakistan have included Bogra and some others). In fact the pair of them dominated government together in Pakistan in the late fifties. A Bengali becoming president or prime minister was not a problem as history has proved.

also activities like imposition of Urdu on Bengali populace made them ove away from Pak mainland...

I think you're wrong. Bengali was made the official language of East Pakistan in 1952 along with Urdu. The date was 21st Feb, 1952, 5 years after Pakistan's formation.

You talked about voting for ML during 1946. But that was under the effect of horrible muslim-hindu-sikh riots that ensued...

You have your timeline confused. The Muslim League won the elections on around January 11th, 1946. The  Direct Action Day that were perhaps a trigger for the rioting was in August of the same year - The rioting did not occur till December, 1946 and were in fact, in no way connected with the timing of the elections.

would Pak have offered a refrendum in Eask pak in 1969... I think not...

In 1970 free and fair elections were held, which in essence was a referendum because the pro independence party Awami League was allowed to run - and won. One could draw on this for Indian occupied Kashmir - that is, let a pro independence party in Indian occupied Kashmir run, and I bet they will win the elections in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. With East Pakistan however the parrallel stops there - East Pakistan was given their "referendum" in 1946, Kashmir was not.

Governments will offer referendum under two scenarios:

1. When they know they will win it

1 reason

2. When they know that there is no other option of winning war.

Another reason, but there's more.

Second question regarding the muslim aspect of Pakistan. The formation of Pakistan based on religion has failed on two counts:

1. Partition left majority of muslims back in India (120 million)

Partition was never meant to accomodate all the Muslims into a state of Pakistan.

2. East Pak gained independence, showwing language is more important than religion

This actually shows the success of two nation theory and the formation of Pakistan. WIthout the formation of Pakistan, Bangladesh would not have got its independence - language was not so important either. The Bengalis were geographically seperated by too far a distance and there was a Nationist campaign in East Pakistan at the time blaming all the woes of East Pakistan on the West, for example it was suggested by the Awami League that East Pakistan would be the richest country in the world(!), if it was not for West Pakistan taking all the money. This turned out to be very false, as history has also shown.

3. And please dont talk about love for muslims/ kashmiris...

Dont follow you.

Interested people should read about atrocities on Bengali muslims of bangladesh by Pak soldiers...you will be surprised by the extent to which muslims perpetrate violence against thier own "brothers" and "sisters"

Typical. Whenever Kashmir comes up, Indians resort to trying to discuss Bangladesh. The stories you refer to are just propaganda, everyone who has basic literacy knows it, it doesnt really wash outside of the India. It's like that of the German soldiers eating babies during World War II. Even the Bengali ambassador admits it's all hogwash.

"During the seminar, Bangladeshi scholars acknowledged that their official figure of more than 3 million killed during and after the military action was not authentic.

They said that the original figure was close to 300,000, which was wrongly translated from Bengali into English as three million.

Shamsher M. Chowdhury, the Bangladesh ambassador in Washington who was commissioned in the Pakistan Army in 1969 but had joined his countrys war of liberation in 1971, acknowledged that Bangladesh alone cannot correct this mistake. Instead, he suggested that Pakistan and Bangladesh form a joint commission to investigate the 1971 disaster and prepare a report.

Almost all scholars agreed that the real figure was somewhere between 26,000, as reported by the Hamoodur Rahman Commission, and not three million, the official figure put forward by Bangladesh and India."

http://www.dawn.com/2005/07/07/nat3.htm 

Wrongly translated!! For a copy of Bose's report on the 1971 War.

http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?root=2005&leaf=10 &filename=9223&filetype=html  

The Bose paper was presented at the following conference in the US attended by Indians, Bengalis, Americans and others.

"Session 3:
South Asia in Crisis during the Nixon Administration

Loy Henderson Auditorium

Chair: Dr. Peter A. Kraemer, Office of the Historian, U.S. Department of State

Panelists:

We do not see any sign or hope: U.S.-Bangladesh Contacts in 1971
Dr. Ali Riaz, Illinois State University

The 1971 South Asian Crisis: U.S. Policy Revisited
Dr. Imtiaz Ahmed, University of Dhaka

Anatomy of Violence: An Analysis of Acts of Terror in East Pakistan in 1971
Dr. Sarmila Bose, George Washington University

Nixon's White House and Pakistan: The Tilt that Failed
F.S. Aijazuddin, OBE

Comment: Dr. Sumit Ganguly"

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/46059.htm

I am not saying that Kashmiris are happy at J & K and mistakes have been made by the Army which are condemnable...(I do not believe in "my nation right or wong")

But we are moving in a right direction of peace and tranquility in Kashmir by following means:

1. strengthening democracy there (no more sham elections)

2.more autonomy

3. reduction of human abuses

4. more investments/jobs for kashmiris

Kashmir had semi autonomy before 1952 before it became incorporated as just another state in India. If anything, there's been a reduction in autonomy. Human rights abuses by Indian soldiers in Kashmir have not stopped. They are all well documented by Amnesty.

"However, the SOG continued to operate as a cohesive unit and despite disciplinary action being taken against a few of its members, there continued to be regular reports of human rights violations being committed by the SOG. In May, the NHRC asked the Chief Secretary of Jammu and Kashmir for specific information on the systems used by the state authorities to record and investigate allegations of disappearances and on measures taken to prevent further disappearances. A substantive response to the Commissions request remained outstanding at the end of 2003.

Civilians continued to be targeted for gross human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir and scores of allegations of human rights violations were made against the security forces, paramilitaries and renegades (former members of armed opposition groups working with the security forces).

http://web.amnesty.org/report2004/ind-summary-eng 

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/14283.shtml 

The Armed Forces Special Powers Act enables the Indian troops to get away with anything they like, and they do in Kashmir.

"The AFSPA empowers security forces to arrest and enter property without warrant and gives the security forces power to shoot to kill in circumstances where members of the security forces are not at imminent risk."

http://weArmed Forces Special Powers Act AFSPAb.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA200252005?open&of =ENG-IND

http://www.amnestyusa.org/women/document.do?id=130CC715AEA97 B67802569A500714D22 

Edited by TeldeIndus
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 09:58

Agreed I give you total GNP of the planet {for 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000001 second} (as you didn't specify the time period)and you get the ownership of USA after you handover China to us.

and what's ur authority to hand the ownership of usa to us?

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 10:44

Even though the infiltration is coming in from Burma and Bangladesh, they're still Pakistan-backed   - Clarification : Training camps and infiltrators from Bangladesh and Burma - Pakistan backing suspected by India

Kashmir infiltration close to zero: Army

Indo-Asian News Service

Jammu, January 25, 2006
<> var href= window.location.href; href = href.substring(7); var idx = href.indexOf("/"); var relpath = href.substring(idx); document.write("" + "
");
Advertisement
0.gif" width=1>
var zflag_nid="294"; var zflag_cid="1"; var zflag_sid="0"; var zflag_width="180"; var zflag_height="150"; var zflag_sz="13"; < marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://c2.zedo.com/jsc/c2/ff2.?n=294;c=1;d=13;w=180;h=1 50" Border=0 width=180 scrolling=no height=150 allowTransparency ="" src="http://c2.zedo.com/jsc/c2/ff2.js"> Click here

A senior Army officer said on Wednesday that infiltration levels in Jammu and Kashmir have been brought down and are close to zero, though not exactly zero.

He said that the threat has now spread elsewhere as Pakistani-backed intruders are now also coming in via Bangladesh and Myanmar.

Due to heightened vigil along the 742 kilometre-long Line of Control that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan, 400 kilometre of which has been fenced, infiltration has been checked to a great extent, but it is not over, said Lt Gen Deepak Kapur, head of the Army's Northern Command responsible for guarding Kashmir.

"There is a 24-hour vigil being maintained on the LoC and the international border. This has blunted the edge of the infiltration from across," Kapur maintained.

At the same time, the focus has shifted to Bangladesh and Myanmar, from where infiltrators are coming in via West Bengal and the northeastern states, he added.

The Centre has already voiced its concern to Dhaka over the presence of the militant training camps in Bangladesh and has asked them to be dismantled.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1607916,00080001.htm 

Edited by TeldeIndus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>