Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christopher Columbus hypothesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christopher Columbus hypothesis
    Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 22:33

i am mainly looking for more information.

i have read all of the major and most of the minor biographies of columbus, but am completely unfamiliar with more scholarly work.

i have access to a university library.

Hypothesis- when columbus sailed in 1492, he knew america was there and he found it.

Eviddence- the norse found it columbus went to iceland in 1477 he heard the stories.

the basque found it he heard these stories as well.

He took absolutely the best route instead of sailing due west like i would have ( obviously i no experience in these matters)

he brought trinkets like the portugese traded with africans

he bargained with isabella over govenorships

time and time again we find the "ancients" smarter than we were taught in school.

they knew enough to realize that china was too far and could not be reached by the ships at that time.

Any information confirming or rejecting my hypothesis would be greatl;y appreciated

thanks

genghis

i

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 23:02
Colombus seems to have been a slave trader in Africa before heading west. He obviously knew the currents of the area and knew that West African currents near the Canary Islands headed west into the unknown.

He might have known about the existence of western islands, Newfoundland particularly, but it is unlikely that he throught these were anything else than parts of the Far East. He seems to have died believing that America was Asia and the Spice Islands (Malay archipielago), only late the cartographers started to wonder if it wouldn't be a diferent continent.

The issues surrounding Colombus (starting for his background) are still discussed but it seems likely that he didn't know what he was doing exactly. But maybe I am wrong, who knows?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 05:52

Originally posted by Maju

Colombus seems to have been a slave trader in Africa before heading west. He obviously knew the currents of the area and knew that West African currents near the Canary Islands headed west into the unknown.

Slave trader? Where was he selling the slaves?

However, he did know the waters around the Canaries, and it's not just the currents it's also the prevailing wind pattern. Sailing due west from Spain would be much tougher, no matter what land you were aiming for.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 06:45
Originally posted by gcle2003

Slave trader? Where was he selling the slaves?

Southern Portugal and Spain had many slaves, mostly blacks but not necessarily (any "infidel" would do), before the 19th century. Madeira, after felling most of its woods became the first colonial plantation of the world: an experiment of what would be European colonies elsewhere soon after.

I know that, c. 1800, 20% of the people in the city of Cdiz were slaves of African origin, but upon the supression of slavery in the metropolis, they were al shipped to Cuba, where it was still legal. This explains many cultural connections Cdiz-Cuba, even in the accent and dialect.

However, he did know the waters around the Canaries, and it's not just the currents it's also the prevailing wind pattern. Sailing due west from Spain would be much tougher, no matter what land you were aiming for.

Yes, the winds too, of course. They follow a very simmilar pattern, don't they? Though winds are less predictable or stable.

However if he would have been looking for Newfoundland, he would have needed to go by another way, so he wasn't onto that, no matter if he knew something about it or not.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 07:52
Columbus' motives and plan are pretty clear from his letters asking for funding.  

He thought that the earth's circumferance was  around 20000 km, as such he could sail West from the Canaries for around 5000 km and  reach the Indies (Spice Islands or Phillipines).

He was, of course, entirely wrong and as the true circumferance of the earth (40000km) was well known he was ridiculed by scholars and mariners.

Fortunately for him, and his men, the  great ocean isn't empty !  After 5000 km he found the Carribean.
rgds.

Tom..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 09:05

I agree with todamson.

The main item which made Colombo (or Columbus, if you prefer) to try the voyage, was the wrong estimation of the circumferance of the earth.

Had he figured the right length of the way, he would probably have never sailed towards what he thought to be India.....

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 12:32

i realize the common story is toscanelli(??) the geographer convinced columbus that ptolemy was wrong.

I simply do not believe this story,  it makes no sense.  No one else believed it, his arguments were entirely baseless.

I am thinking Columbus created this to get funding because he knew he america was there and he could make it there.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 17:45
As Maju said, Newfoundland was already known (though it was not known it was part of a new continent) but I really doubt he already knew of the existance of America. If he really knew it, why did he remain silent about it? From his writingsit becomes very clear that he didn't realized  he discovered a new continent (he ao wrote that Cuba was Japan, the Caribs soldiers of the Great Khan and Panama was only 10 days away from the Ganges)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 18:38
He took absolutely the best route instead of sailing due west like i would have ( obviously i no experience in these matters)

Arguably the route he took wasn't the best one, from the perspective of one who already knows about the Americas, it does however make sense if you believe the world to be smaller than it is, and you intend to land in India (sale in a straight line along the 28th parralel untill you get there, granted, you'd hit China first, but what did old Colombo care).
If he had knowledge from the Viking/Basque/Portugese in Newfieland vibe, he would surely have taken a more northerly route to be sure of landing somewhere, if he had advanced ancient supermaps, he would know that the quickest route is south-west to Brazil.
In hindsight, he was lucky, he could have just as well missed one of the lessor antillies, and forced to turn home or face a mutiny.

Is it known if Columbus used depth measuring techniques to gauze if he was close to land (a slightly imperfect but ancient technicque)?
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 21:20
I find hard to believe he would have missed land: the Antiles make a quasi-continuous rim of islands from Florida to Venezuela, there are only rather narrow straits between them and the presence of seagulls would be clear notice that land was near.

Of course he could have measured sea depth with a rope and a weight but seagulls seem an even easier reference.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 21:37
He landed near the Turks and Cocus islands didn't he? A bit further to the south, and he could have hit the gap between there, and the big island to the south of it. Renember, all thats needed is a few days for him to be forced to turn back by his crew.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 22:29
Originally posted by Cywr

He landed near the Turks and Cocus islands didn't he?

It's not clear. Traditionally it was thought to be one of the Bahamas.

A bit further to the south, and he could have hit the gap between there, and the big island to the south of it. Renember, all thats needed is a few days for him to be forced to turn back by his crew.

Let's see:
a) What's the maximum distance that he could have passed away from any land
b) What's typical range of seagulls
c) What's the typical visibility one gets from a typical caravel crow's nest (it must be quite large in a good day)

Once you have these three variables, you will know if he could have missed land at all and which would be his chances. Something I, a priori, think very unlikely.

Edit: there are just 110km between the Turks and Hispaniola. He would have never been farther than 55 km from any land. Veyr unlikely he would have missed it, very-very unlikely.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 07:36
even if he would have missed Turks & Caicos and Hispaniola, he would have discovered Cuba (or the southwestern Bahamas), only a few 100 kms further away.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 18:48
Hmm, how much 'ground' (for lack of a better word) would be covered in 2 days or so, assuming that he is on the very brink of being forced to turn back, and the island he landed on for sake of argument doesn't exist?

I just want to get a picture of how close the whole thing was, or was his getting that far a virtual garentee of hitting land.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 23:30
I think that seagulls do reach out to 50 km and any sailor knows that gulls mean the proximity of land.

To find out how much distance could them see from the crow's nest, we need the height of it and to apply the following formula:

Where h is the height of the observer and R is the radius of Earth (6371 km). So, for 10 meters of height, the watchman would have seen 11 km. around, for 20 meters of 15 km., etc.

Visually at least they could have missed land if they were unlucky, so all depends to other factors: gulls and luck particularly.

Another important factors that can help to find land are clouds gather around some islands (specially hilly ones), the subtle change of currents, etc.

Edit: I haven't found any explicit reference to the height of the mast of the Santa Mara, the largest of the three Colombus ships, but I've found this replica:

And a mention that it had about 36 meters of length, what makes the watchman position of about 35-40 m, at eyesight calculation.

This means that they were able to see in good weather as far as 22 km. This restricts their chance of missing land (visually) to a half.

Also, even if they were very unlucky and missed land and they would have to return, they would have likely taken a NW course, what would have brought them to the Bahamas anyhow.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 00:10
Additionally to all the previous, it must be mentioned  that the most likely candidate for Guanahani or San Salvador island is Samana Cay, which I just found it is backed by a study of the National Geographic magazine.

This means that their arrival was like this:

... and that means that would have not missed land even if they were aslept.

More "miraculous" is the fact that in the way back they survived a storm that had sunk 100 caravels, as he was told in Lisbon. If the storm would have sunk both ships nobody would have known of the new lands in sme time and their most likely discoverers would have been the Portuguese, via Brazil, which is easily reachable from Africa, but in a later date.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 05:11
I heard that Columbus actually knew he was not in Asia. However, his contract with their Majesties back in Spain strictly thated that the assistance he received and gains he made were to occur if he found Asia. Should he acknowledge that the land he discovered was anything other than Asia, all his gains and access to lucrative profits would be stripped from him as it was not in the contract for him to receive these. Just what I read somewhere anyway......

If he knew, and there is a decent chance he may have, then it was in his interest to say otherwise.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 06:01
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I heard that Columbus actually knew he was not in Asia. However, his contract with their Majesties back in Spain strictly thated that the assistance he received and gains he made were to occur if he found Asia. Should he acknowledge that the land he discovered was anything other than Asia, all his gains and access to lucrative profits would be stripped from him as it was not in the contract for him to receive these. Just what I read somewhere anyway......

If he knew, and there is a decent chance he may have, then it was in his interest to say otherwise.

You may be right about that, yet, once stripped of his privileges he could have spoken out the truth and he didn't. If there's something to it, he brought his secret with him to the tomb, as he didn't wrote a line or made a comment that could mean that he thought it wasn't Asia what he had stumbled upon.

Yet, I prefer the theory that, even if he knew about Newfoundland, whose existence was probably known to the Portuguese then, he seem to have believed that it belonged to NE Asia, something that the aspect of Inuits could have induced to think. I feel that he actually believed that the world was smaller than it actually is: he followed the wrong scientific theory but he was lucky enough to find the wrong continent. Would he have failed, we wouldn't be speaking about him... at least so much.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 06:41

Originally posted by Constantine XI

You may be right about that, yet, once stripped of his privileges he could have spoken out the truth and he didn't. If there's something to it, he brought his secret with him to the tomb, as he didn't wrote a line or made a comment that could mean that he thought it wasn't Asia what he had stumbled upon.

The explanation I heard for that is that he didn't want to eprive his heirs of what they were gaining out of the contract. It would have been more sensible to degenerate into the bitter man he did and leave his heirs some claim to the wealth of the New World than to just blurt out how he didn't quite reach Asia. If he knew he had not, that is. Again sorry I cannot provide a source for this, I just read a fairly convincing article that this may have been how things actually were.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 08:14

Additionally to all the previous, it must be mentioned  that the most likely candidate for Guanahani or San Salvador island is Samana Cay, which I just found it is backed by a study of the National Geographic magazine.

I've done a paper for school about Columbus first landing site some years ago, I believe it was not Samana Cay but Plana Cays, somewhat south of Samana. Columbus wrote that the second Island (Santa Mara de la Concepcin, Acklings Island) faced the first, which is true for Plana Cays but not for Samana.

This is an interesting site about this question:
http://www1.minn.net/~keithp/cclandfl.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>