Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Book club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Book club
    Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 12:26

I'll try to get it this week. We're actually reading parts from Suetonius's Life of Claudius in college now and our teacher is constantly recommending us to read I, Claudius  We'll have to do an assignment on Claudius too, reading additional texts by Tacitus and Seneca (the "Pumpkinification"). Should be interesting!

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 10:19

Just out of curiousity has anyone else started reading the book?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 13:46
Yes. My new copy came yesterday(I never did find the other one I had) and I read just about half of it .  I have read it before too  
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 05:04

I'm trying to get it from the library - have read it in the distant past but will need to refresh my memory.  Once we have read and start posting about the book - shoud it be a new thread or will we be posting here?  We could still discuss which selections to choose here - and then post a new thread each month for each separate book.  I think a new thread would make it easier for new members (and some of us - like me) to keep track - something like:

AEBookclub - I Claudius

and then

AEBook club - Nicholas and Alexandra

AEBook club - Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic Wars

AEBook club - The Empress Cornellia's commentaries on the successful use of Tobodei's clone armies in repelling the attack of the penguins.

re:  future selections - as we look toward the future - are we planning on keeping the selections historical?  I think that it would be a good idea considering the group.  There's a enough material out there in just pure history and historical fiction to keep us busy for a long time.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 10:21

I agree that a new thread is in order for each discussion. It will help to keep each book straight and it would mean that disscussion could continue after a new book was started. I tend to agree with keeping it historical ,at least mostly (I would hate to exclude the possibility of reading some of the Aurtherian novels, there almost history)

Intresting suggestions you made. I've read them all except the last one. It must be new   

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:22

I'd like to suggest some books:

Dream Story (Traumnovelle in German) by Arthur Schnitzler

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

1984 by George Orwell

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:28
Since this is suppose to be the AE Book Club I'd like to suggest a historian that people may enjoy reading, A.J.P. Taylor. Unlike many historians Taylor's books are not only easy to read and clear but also very fascinating, he specialized in Modern Europe, particularly Germany and Great Britain.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 10:44

I'm trying to get it from the library - have read it in the distant past but will need to refresh my memory.  Once we have read and start posting about the book - shoud it be a new thread or will we be posting here?  We could still discuss which selections to choose here - and then post a new thread each month for each separate book.  I think a new thread would make it easier for new members (and some of us - like me) to keep track - something like:

Sorry I didn't go into detail about that. I think that the book should be opened in a new thread. Do you think we should do the discussion in the middle of the month, at the end or after we've chosen our new book?

It's great that we are getting so many suggestions, hopefully we'll have a ton of books to vote for this time around.

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 16:34

Dawn, its a very new book and fastly becoming #1.  

I was helped by my loyal vassal, Janus.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 09:51

with Vagabond starting the first book thread the problem of spoilers came to mind. I sugest that we use an idea that I've seen else where. By changing the color of any spoiler text to beige  so it can only be read by highlighting it until such time as everyone is done no one will have it spoiler for them.  Eg.  In historical fiction the end always the same is the same: everyone dies.  Then when every one is done the text can be changed to black. What do you think?

Edit: it only seems to work somewhat on this forum color,if only i could find the right background color 

Edited by Dawn
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 15:00
Best books I ever read, Im saying this just so that maybe one of you will pick it up and experience the magic.............of the His Dark Materials Trilogy of Phuillip Pullman, in the future, it will be regarded as a classic trust me.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 13:53

Edit: it only seems to work somewhat on this forum color,if only i could find the right background color 

Perhaps Cyrus in his infinite wisdom can help us.

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 04:14

I haven't posted any spoilers - we all know the result - they drink out of pewter with a high lead content - go insane - get debauched and die.  All of them.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers with Claudius - it's not a mystery novel - although - in several cases - the butler did do it (I'm not saying to/with whom). 

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 06:52

Perhaps Cyrus in his infinite wisdom can help us.

[] You know that we have different background colors for even and odd rows:

Background Color 1 -> [ COLOR=#DDD6CE ]Background Color 1[ /COLOR ]

Background Color 2 -> [ COLOR=#E5DED6 ]Background Color 2[ /COLOR ]

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 10:23

The ending for all historical novels are the same....everybody dies   but seriously some people just hate knowing the details of a story before they get that far (i read the end first so it makes no difference to me) if that isn't a problem for people here then we needn't be concerned with it .

Cyrus i'll give that a try.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 15:16
Ok newly appointed mod Janus how about stickying this thread and any others you see fit.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 17:03
 I'm a mod now!?!?, I guess I am.  Ok I'll sticky the thread.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 19:10

Well folks its that time again for the vote, if anyone else has contributions post them.

So far we have:

Nicholas and Alexandra

Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic Wars

Dream Story (Traumnovelle in German) by Arthur Schnitzler

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

1984 by George Orwell

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 00:26

I'm easy - I'd go for either Nicholas and Alexandra or Monte Cristo - one's pure history - the other a great historical novel.  Gallic Wars is too soon if we've just read Claudius (or is it?) - 1984 and Dream Story are not really historical in any way.

For future lists -

"A world lit only by fire" - Manchester

"A Distant Mirror" Tuchman

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 06:49
So we should stick to historical? Ok then those two are off the list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>