Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Koreans - Italians of Asia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
nathan713 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nathan713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koreans - Italians of Asia?
    Posted: 24-Jan-2015 at 02:47
Originally posted by Ollios

Originally posted by wholesomebody

Wow, discriminations fly! For me, the most impressing thing about Korea is their pride. After the boat-sink accident, the vice chief of the high school suicided , and the public event urged the captain to kill himself. Korean athlete Kim Yu-na's failure to win the champion in Sochi Olympics, was called a national humiliation, and the UK girl who defeated  Kim Yu-na was besieged by korean on twitter!

Any Korean here? Could you tell where this unbelievable pride comes from? Mordern korean culture or history?

this high lvl of pride is also symbol of Japanese, isn't it?

Unbelievable pride? Ummm... I wouldn't necessarily say that's the nature of society but nationalism is very popular in Far East Asia just as nationalism was critically important in Europe back then... I'd say more so as the Far East Asian powers now can afford to look outside of their domestic playground and project their influence outwards. Unlike in the past, they have the time, resource and money to afford playing the geopolitical game. 

It puzzles the western people because their culture heavily emphasize the ideas and values of individuality whereas in many parts of Asia, social community is the counterpart in our culture. That's how they were raised and cultured. (With growing number of Asian diaspora coming back to live/visit, they are becoming less xenophobic about foreign cultures).

I'd say let the westerners make analogy that best fits their mindsets. Really understanding a country is not something that can be summarized by a simple analogy... mostly.  
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 10:19
Originally posted by wholesomebody

Wow, discriminations fly! For me, the most impressing thing about Korea is their pride. After the boat-sink accident, the vice chief of the high school suicided , and the public event urged the captain to kill himself. Korean athlete Kim Yu-na's failure to win the champion in Sochi Olympics, was called a national humiliation, and the UK girl who defeated  Kim Yu-na was besieged by korean on twitter!

Any Korean here? Could you tell where this unbelievable pride comes from? Mordern korean culture or history?

this high lvl of pride is also symbol of Japanese, isn't it?
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
wholesomebody View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote wholesomebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2014 at 23:14

JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 14:32

------

There's been a lot of research done about "Japanese" origin in recent years, much of it done by Japanese themselves. One issue in particular that the Japanese seems to have hard time dealing with has to do with the origin of the "Emperor of Japan."  The latest evidence seems to indicate that the Emperor of Japan may have originated in Korea.  It's a touchy issue that the Japanese scholars generally tend to sidestep. However, the imperial family have acknowledged that they may have originated from Korea.  

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 22:58
Nick, the Koreans hardly compare to a lesser civilized people than the Japanese. I would recommend you read Stephen Turnbull's "Samurai Invasion" and note that the Koreans, when treated by the Samurai as were ordinary Japanese people of the 16th Century, were appalled. The Koreans were recognized masters of the Confucian classics, several rising very high in Chinese service, and Korean celadon potters equaled and in some techniques surpassed the very best Chinese celadon potters. During the Chinese Ming era, Korean porcelains were highly valued, and in the wake the Imjin wars entire pottery villages were forcibly removed to Japan, where their descendants made significant contributions to Japanese pottery, a fact that many Japanese pottery firms freely acknowledge.

It is not a popular subject among Koreans, but the people who became the Japanese and the modern Koreans sprang from a Steppe warrior people who crossed the Peninsula to Japan several millennium ago. 

Japan's colonization of Korea arose from the 19th century weakness of the Choseon dynasty. During the colonial period, the Japanese themselves viewed the Koreans as sharing a common civilization, and indeed were among the founders of Korean archaeology, which was not taken seriously in Confucian times.

In short, while the Celts too produced some very fine crafts, like gold working, and possessed obvious artistic skills, The Koreans had a far higher and more complex level of civilization.   

Better yet, when you've saved up some vacation, take three weeks off some October (the best time) and visit Kyoto, Japan, Seoul, Korea, and Taipei, Taiwan hitting the museums. I say Taiwan because it has the National Palace Museum, which still is, perhaps for only a few years more, the pre-eminent Chinese museum in the world. I think you'll come away with a far greater appreciation of East Asian culture. Each is unique, and all share many things in common.

Edited by lirelou - 16-Mar-2013 at 23:06
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 16:16
Fair enough.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2013 at 13:45
I have Returned.....

I personally did not want to come back to this forum as I  have made too many erroneous comments in the past, but I fear that I can do more good by being here than being absent. I'm too much of a loud mouth to stay silent for long anyway, but I believe in redemption and will try to repair some of the trollish damage that I may have caused.

My Main Goal:

My main goal is to try to bring understanding between people rather than misunderstanding. The World is in trouble and we have to try to cope with what's going on.

-------

Topic at hand:

No,  

It's often too easy to compare different culture to try find similarities but I have always depended on Wiki, they are quite good. Korean Culture has evolved very differently than Europeans. I would like to put an emphasis on isolation and what that entails: Sometimes it can be good, South Korea; sometimes it can be bad, North Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Korea

Latest show that I am enjoying right now is "That Winter, The Wind Blows"

his show is too good to miss.

http://www.viki.com/channels/10519-that-winter-the-wind-blows

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2012 at 13:10
I'd have thought the Japanese were closer to the Italians: an advanced empire that copied an older civilisation (Greece/China) and conquered less "civilised" tribes (Celts/Koreans)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2012 at 23:51
Earth people are the ancestors of the Korean  舌头
KoreanKorguryoBalhae View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KoreanKorguryoBalhae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2009 at 22:10
If you add Irish, Italian, Jewish all three ethnic people together what would you have??? Korean. In national character Koreans share Irish trait, Italian trait, and Jewish trait.
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2009 at 21:34
Please note, this isn't about Japanese or talking loud.
believe me, I've seen plenty of loud Italian or Japanese people before.
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2009 at 09:40
o.O definitely not Italians.  Koreans tend to get very loud when they speak :D not that I am offended by it, but I say Italians never get that loud when talking to each other, so yeah.  And in reality Japanese actually talk softer, and I would compare them to Italians, actually that is a great comparison
sure View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 21:26
Originally posted by Tim

They said Si Maqian is Korean,Chinese Four Great Inventions are Korean's,and Chinese ancestors are Korean。

They helped the Nazi-Japanese killed Chinese people during the World War 2.Even crueler than Japanese,but after the War,they always dress themselves as victims.Chinese and Japanese do not like South Korean.

First  I never seen  any Koreans who addressed Simaqian is a Korean.

Second , Koreans never helped Japanese killed Chinese during WWII.
Koreans never been conscripted to Japanese military untill 1944 and
most of them were dispatched to Okinawa .

Please read this link.

SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 21:15
^ I don't care what he was and what he's now.
This is history discussion forum, posting blatant message without any reputable source should be remove from this forum.

Chinese media is still allowing this to happen as long as their government is protected, they will deny it and acknowledge mistakes but still attempt to spread false information in order to brain wash people. This was why there was sudden rise of Anti-Korean sentiment from China, thy even reported article on Nanjing massacre was done by Koreans.

This makes me wonder how Chinese are doing to their information when China is well known for controlling media.
doggyji View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote doggyji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 22:36
Tim is likely to be your typical Chinese/Taiwanese troll or just a sheep-minded person who got seriously misled by the oh-so-trustworthy Chinese media. For some reason, the media in the sinosphere have repeatedly made weird false reports about Korean claims. Not just a single mistake. It has been like a trend to foster some anti-Korean sentiment. "Forget about serious Chinese internal issues. Hate those damn gaolibangzi!" Or just to sell papers via sensationalism. Who knows. To their credit, once, one of the Chinese newspapers even acknowledged their mistake. They either blatantly make up false stories or quote/exaggerate some individual scholar's articulated opinion comepletely out of context. They even made up a non-existing Korean professor in a well-known Korean university. They've been debunked left, right, up and down easily on many other Asian forums. There are occasions when you can come across some Korean bloggers or non-influential scholars making laughable nonsense. South Korea is a free democracy after all. However, 90% of the time, the rumors these trolls try to spread are totally baseless. They are just trying to have some leverage against Koreans and they are just amazingly everywhere on the internet like sharks smelling blood. On Youtube, you can find deliberately edited vids misleading people new to this whole troll warfare. For example, there's a vid about some Korean history show where they examine why a certain theory is not feasible so they go over the theory first. Then these trolls edit the video so that it looks like the show is telling you the theory is the truth. Sneaky as hell.

Edited by doggyji - 04-Oct-2009 at 22:48
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by Tim

you know,actrually,South Korea is excluded in Asia.Because they like to steal the culture of other countries,especially Chinese culture.They said Si Maqian is Korean,Chinese Four Great Inventions are Korean's,and Chinese ancestors are Korean。They helped the Nazi-Japanese killed Chinese people during the World War 2.Even crueler than Japanese,but after the War,they always dress themselves as victims.Chinese and Japanese do not like South Korean.

Originally posted by Tim

Yes,just like what you said,Chinese "steal" Western culture,but it was studing,to learn Western  advanced technology and knowledge.Chinese won't say that Sir Isaac Newton is Chinese,but Koreans will.they said that Qin Shi Huang is Korean.Just like they "steal" Chinese culture and said this culture was created by Koreans.

According to whom? Koreans have never made claimed on Si Maqian and Qin Shi Huang. Please cite your claim, because that's what I mostly heard from Chinese & Japanese trolls.

Once again, Koreans didn't dressed themselves as victims during the war.

Mind you China also steals others, starting from design to technology. Reverse engineering is also form of stealing. It's funny how you made claims on Koreans steal it from China and Japan.

Well, complain to French, Japanese & Taiwanese to stole over 600,000 pieces of Chinese relics & artifacts.
Mind you Japan also stole 200,000 pieces of Korean relics & artifacts and tried claiming as theirs.

Korean culture is very old culture it wasn't made over night by copying it.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 14:14
Originally posted by Tim

Yes,just like what you said,Chinese "steal" Western culture,but it was learning,to learn Western  advanced technology and knowledge. Chinese did not say that Sir Isaac Newton is Chinese,but Koreans did. They said that Qin Shi Huang is Korean.Just like they "steal" Chinese culture and said this culture was created by Koreans.

Oh, right. Historical revisionism. This is similar to how history has been written by nationalists and racial supremacists all over the world, who for some reason feel their own achievements are so inadequate they have to steal others'. These people shouldn't be taken seriously, they're more like circus clowns with an inferiority complex. I'm sure there are serious South Korean historians one can read instead.
Tim View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by Reginmund

What's the point? Our generation had no part in WW2 and modern day Chinese, Japanese and Koreans bear no responsibility. To keep these grudges alive will not help anyone move forward and neither does it make sense.

Of course Koreans "steal" culture, everyone steals culture, that's how human civilization advances. You could just as well say the Chinese "steal" Western culture; cars, TVs, computers, railroads, airplanes, the list goes on forever.

And I don't find the parallel Italy-Korea very applicable. There are more differences than similarities.

Yes,just like what you said,Chinese "steal" Western culture,but it was learning,to learn Western  advanced technology and knowledge. Chinese did not say that Sir Isaac Newton is Chinese,but Koreans did. They said that Qin Shi Huang is Korean.Just like they "steal" Chinese culture and said this culture was created by Koreans.
Tim View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 13:19

What's the point? Our generation had no part in WW2 and modern day Chinese, Japanese and Koreans bear no responsibility. To keep these grudges alive will not help anyone move forward and neither does it make sense.

Of course Koreans "steal" culture, everyone steals culture, that's how human civilization advances. You could just as well say the Chinese "steal" Western culture; cars, TVs, computers, railroads, airplanes, the list goes on forever.

And I don't find the parallel Italy-Korea very applicable. There are more differences than similarities.

Yes,just like what you said,Chinese "steal" Western culture,but it was learning,to learn Western  advanced technology and knowledge. Chinese did not say that Sir Isaac Newton is Chinese,but Koreans did. They said that Qin Shi Huang is Korean. Just like they "steal" Chinese culture and said this culture was created by Koreans.

Edited by Tim - 05-May-2009 at 13:24
Tim View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 13:17

Yes,just like what you said,Chinese "steal" Western culture,but it was studing,to learn Western  advanced technology and knowledge.Chinese won't say that Sir Isaac Newton is Chinese,but Koreans will.they said that Qin Shi Huang is Korean.Just like they "steal" Chinese culture and said this culture was created by Koreans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>