Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Africa considered the west?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Africa considered the west?
    Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 18:09
Well, not even all of europe, mostly Western europe.  For example, I've never heard Russia categorized as being part of the West.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 12:43

I'm just curious i've always heard the terms..... west, western, far east, middle east..

but what is Africa considered?  West?  If you look at it geographically the western part of Africa is more west then Europe.

What do you think ?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 12:50
I think it is considered "Africa". The West merely applies to Europe and her daughters.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:13
I think Africa was always called Africa (since Roman times). Middle East, India and Asia were clumped together as the "East/Orient".
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:18
Yeah, Africa is just Africa, the 'east' has constantly changed depending on what mood the 'west' happened to be in. There again, Africa has never been constant either, it was originaly the area around modern day Tunisia.
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:38
I would say that when today someone says "Africa" or "African countries" he often dont even think about whole Africa as continent but only about its biggest part inhabitated by native africans. Its rare to hear that for example Libya or Egipt are african countries. Most of journalists seems to drop them to the "islamic countries" category or even "arabic countries" category, often ignoring the fact the people who live there are not arabs.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:08
But yet they speak arabic.
The label 'arab' is yet another vauge label used in different ways, i've heard the term 'black arabs' to refer so the Sudanese on times.
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:08
But yet they speak arabic.
The label 'arab' is yet another vauge label used in different ways, i've heard the term 'black arabs' to refer so the Sudanese on times.
Arrrgh!!"
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:08
Arabs I thought were the original Arabs and all the people they conquered?  Discounting Iran and Central Asia.
-William Shakespeare
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:37
Hmm, Arabians = from Arabia.
Arrrgh!!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:48
Originally yes. Saudi Arabia. But then Westerners started to call Syrians, Iraqis, Lebanese and in some cases Moroccans Algerians etc all Arabs. Even African Sudanese who adapted "Arab" way of life were called Arabs in some cases I belive.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:10
It is more of a general term than an actual ethnicity now, except for the actual arabs.  Like Palestinian Arabs, Egyptian Arabs, etc.
-William Shakespeare
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:44
Its a generalised linguistics/culture thing, like Latin.
Arrrgh!!"
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 12:31
Such general terms facilitate things, although it irks me personally when Malaysians call Portuguese adventurers "Franks".
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:56
I wouldn't consider Russia or Eastern Europe western.  I think of that as America, Australia, Canada, and Europe west of Germany, Austria, and Italy, along with Scandanavia.
Member of IAEA
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:11
Even Austria and Scandinavia might be considered Central Europe nowadays.  You have to remember, these terms change over time.

Edit:  As in, near the west, but not perhaps in it.

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 01:37

When ever people speak of the West - Romania, Poland, Russia - doesn't really spring to mind and Especially neither does Africa. The west I believe is UK - Germany - France - Switz - Spain (maybe Italy) Central Europe - from Greece up to Poland and then Estern Europe is anything east of Poland / Hungary.

The middle east is just a term to describe an area of al the arab nations - middle of Everything, East of Western Europe ^^

Africa is just Africa - so if one is to talk about west africa - they would do so specifically.

Although the term "West" is rather vague. West? West of where? if talking about the Western World - countries from all over the world fit into that catagory. America, Australia - Western Europe (i think the other term for it 1st World)

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 02:08
Originally posted by Shifty Russian

When ever people speak of the West - Romania, Poland, Russia - doesn't really spring to mind and Especially neither does Africa. The west I believe is UK - Germany - France - Switz - Spain (maybe Italy) Central Europe - from Greece up to Poland and then Estern Europe is anything east of Poland / Hungary.

The middle east is just a term to describe an area of al the arab nations - middle of Everything, East of Western Europe ^^

Africa is just Africa - so if one is to talk about west africa - they would do so specifically.

Although the term "West" is rather vague. West? West of where? if talking about the Western World - countries from all over the world fit into that catagory. America, Australia - Western Europe (i think the other term for it 1st World)

what are you talking about, Denis?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 04:34
Such general terms facilitate things, although it irks me personally when Malaysians call Portuguese adventurers "Franks".

Bah, you all look the same anyways
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 11:16

Cetral Europe is the area which - as someone else said, in the west is considered as east and in the east as west. And more or less it is Finland, Poland, Czech republic and Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, all the states which in the past were part of the former Yugoslavia, Greece and in the past also eastern Germany (and Albania, a country which seems to be forgotten by God and people).

I would also count as central Europe - even if there are so many people who consider it as eastern Europe (i guess mostly because of ignorance and lack of education) Baltic Countries, because this division is rather more historical/cultural/linguistic than geographical. In fact i belive that even turkey can be in some sence of this word called "eastern european country" because such claim has its historical background.

Central european countries got its completelly unique culture and history which was influenced by both western and eastern european cultures and traditions, what often was leading to the birth of completelly new cultures and traditions of new and completelly unique quality.

This cultures were often not able to evoluate independently because of the preassure of east or west (eg. being occupied by Russia like Finland, Baltic states, eastern Poland or being occupied by Austria or Germany (Hungary, western and southern Poland, Bohemia etc) but during moments when were independent were creating somthing completelly new (eg. political system, poetry, music, literature) very different from both east and west.

Multinational and multi religious structure of central european countries which was often their main political weakneess was also often the reason of its cultural strenght.

Edited by Mosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>