Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Precolonial African kingdoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Precolonial African kingdoms
    Posted: 24-Dec-2005 at 21:51

Despite the title of this forum, almost no one has ever posted on the topic of "precolonial Africa". Is anyone here knowledgeable about this topic? Anyone here knows about the medieval empires of Western Sudan, Ethiopia, and Bantu-speaking Africa? How about the Buganda (Uganda), Ashanti (Ghana), and Madagascar (Merina) Kingdoms? How about the Berbers?

I don't. Can anyone help? Why is there so little interest in pre-colonial African history?

Anyone interested in the topic of "Afrocentrism"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrocentrism

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 08:52
While I agree that Africa isn't the main topic in this forum, with possible exceptions when dealing with Egypt and Carthage, there have been some interesting topics:
The issue of Malgaches has also been touched when talking about Malay peoples.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 01:03
This is AE's miscellaneous folder, for discussions of history in those times and places that aren't popular enough to warrant folders of their own.  That's why Africa and pre-Columbian America are lumped together.  If you look at the older threads (the ones that don't appear on page 1 because the most recent messages were posted more than two months ago), you'll also find discussions about India and Southeast Asia.  Maybe if enough African discussions pop up, those threads will someday be moved to an African folder.

To add to the list Maju posted, in 2004 and 2005 I wrote a complete history of Africa for my website.  Look for a thread named "My African History Project, Updates"; there I let the rest of the folks at AE know how I was doing.  I ended up writing nine chapters in the series, and because I'm more interested in ancient times than in the modern era (unlike most historians), six of those chapters cover pre-colonial Africa.  Read and enjoy!

http://xenohistorian.faithweb.com/africa/index.html
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 05:08
Originally posted by flyingzone

Despite the title of this forum, almost no one has ever posted on the topic of "precolonial Africa". Is anyone here knowledgeable about this topic? Anyone here knows about the medieval empires of Western Sudan, Ethiopia, and Bantu-speaking Africa? How about the Buganda (Uganda), Ashanti (Ghana), and Madagascar (Merina) Kingdoms? How about the Berbers?

I don't. Can anyone help? Why is there so little interest in pre-colonial African history?

Anyone interested in the topic of "Afrocentrism"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrocentrism

I have a concentration in African history, specifically the more medieval and anceint stuff.  If you cant find something online you can ask me and Ill do my best to answer.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:22
Thanks Maju, Berosus, and Tobodai for the information. My knowledge in African - modern and pre-modern - is so woefully lacking that any information will be good information. But Berosus, I have to say that your website looks the most impressive. I will take my time to read and digest it.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 15:20
flyingzone, I recommend reading "History of Africa", by Kevin Shillington and watching the "Africa" history series by Basil Davidson.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 00:12
Shillington is by far the best overall African history book there is.  Its large, all encompassing, has pictures and all that jazz.  Its also good and relatively nonbiased.  One thing you must be worried about in African history books is bias, both against Africans and rabidly afro-centrist.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply