Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

December 22- Ceausescu deposed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: December 22- Ceausescu deposed
    Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 08:12
Im a fervent opponent of the death penalty, but sometimes, very occasionally and very hypocritically, I cant help agreeing that such end is well deserved. One such case is the former Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu, whose remarkably short fall from power began in earnest on December 22, 1989 when he fled his capital Bucharest in a helicopter.

The day before, Ceausescu had, in view of spreading unrest in the country and the attempts of his secret police, the Securitate to surpress it, attempted to pacify his rebellious subjects. The video footage of Ceaucescu, stepping out on the balcony, trying to address the restless crowd that had assembled in the square in front of the Building of the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party, and the incredulous look on his face, when the people that he had tormented for decades, suddenly started to shout and swear at him, will remain a priceless snapshot of the story of the downfall of the Stalinist Empire.
One should presume that Ceausescu would have understood the signs of the time and would have attempted a half decent retreat from power, but next day, on December 22, he was back, trying once more to negotiate with a crowd that had come to the square, once more he came out trying to talk with them, but this time the Romanian people had comprehended that they had nothing to fear anymore from the septuagenarian, dithering fool, who overnight had lost his nimbus as the unassailable dictator.
The moment for talking was over, the impatient crowd tried to storm the building, and Ceausescu, his wife, the equally abominable Elena, together with a few companions escaped to the roof and escaped in a waiting helicopter.

Ceausesu escaping, before being captured

While Ceausescu loyalists, mainly Securitate police, put up a last stand in Bucharest and other cities, the game for the President was over. The defense minister was killed and the new army command declared solidarity with the protesters, and that was the end of more of thirty years of the Ceausescu regime, the last bastion of old style Stalinism in Europe.
The deposed President and his entourage fled to the country side, but were arrested in the small town of Targoviste, and three days later, on Christmas Day, executed after a short and rather farcical trial.

What else happened on that day?

1715 In Scotland, James Stuart- 'the old pretender'- lands at Peterhead to lead yet another hopeless rebellion against England.

1961 James Davis is the first US soldier to be killed in Vietnam.

Complete list of events:

Wikipedia

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 08:16

1715 In Scotland, James Stuart- 'the old pretender'- lands at Peterhead to lead yet another hopeless rebellion against England.

He wasn't leading a hopeless rebellion against England alone.  He was a Catholic, Scotland is a protestant nation, he didn't face the English, he also faced the lowlander Scots.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 14:23

December 22 was indeed a very important day for Romania. Whatever the outcome of the "revolution" which deposed the regime, getting rid of Ceausescu was a happy occasion for all Romanians.

I'd like to take the chance to correct a couple of small mistakes in the post. First of all, it's not "Ceaucescu", it's Ceausescu, where the first s is actually a letter particular to Romanian, which takes a cedille, rather like the one in , and which makes the letter be pronounced "sh". Second of all, Ceausescu was in power from 1965 to 1989, so only 24 years, and not over 30 years, as the article said. The communist regime was in place from 1947 though, and some have argued that it actually continued oncer disguise until 1995. 

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 14:34

Nice going about what happened here, Komnenos. But there are some things you should know:

1. The "Securitate" troops, the only existing troops that were trained to intervene in cases of civil disorder were never summoned. Two battalions of such troopers would have been more than enough to "quiet" the people down, without using firearms (there were at least 4 battalions near Bucharest, not to mention the cadets of the  "Securitate" officers school at Baneasa).
  2. The Army troops that were brought were mostly formed of bad trained recruits. Some of them didn't even fired a gun. They were more scared than the people they were supposed to "calm down".
  3. The "loyalists" were never found. Except some (about 12) high ranking party members no others could have been found.
  4. The so called trial of Ceausescu is something you really should see! (one of the accussations on behalf of him and his wife were sentenced to death was that there have been 60.000 victims during 16.12 - 21.12.1989 - the whole account is something like 1300-1400 and that's the whole ammount, the post-25.12.1989 victims included!) It was filmed and I have a copy of it. I could send it to you if you have a good (very good, the soundtrack is quite bad) Romanian speaking guy around to translate it to you. But I don't know how to do it. It's a 441 Mbytes AVI file (about 1 hour and 15 minutes). I could copy in on a CD and send you a postal package if you PM me an adress.
  5. The so called last stand of the loyalists, or the "terrorists" (that's what they were called here during those days) was more like a big confusion. No "terrorist" had been ever found or killed! (I personally witnessed a guy killed by mistake - he was drunk and happy that Ceausescu had fallen!)

There are more people now in Romania that reggret the fact that Ceausescu had fallen than there were a few years ago. There are so many unanswered questions about what was behind the "Revolution" - no mistake the people were really happy to overthrow him - and so many uncomfortable questions have come after the heat was gone that most of the people who lived - I mean really lived - those events feel like they have been deceived.

I'm glad that Ceausescu's regime is gone. I'm sorry that what we have here nowadays looks more like as a bunch of clowns and "raptors" have taken his place. It was bad during his rule. It is worse that now, that we are "democratic", living in Romania seems and sometimes is worse than during that rule (Maybe Romanians can't understand democracy?!).

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 15:58

The Wikipedia article describes the events fairly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Revolution_of_1989

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 16:25
Thanks for all your corrections and additions, that was the whole idea of the "Today...." forum. Good to see that someone is actually reading the stuff.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 15:00
hello,
I'm very interested in "Ceausescu era" and have some question about his last days. As I can see there is at least one member (Cezar) from Romania and I hope he can help me there:

1.) what did Ceausescu talked about in his last speech on the balcony? Is there any translation of that speech? I have a audio (mp3) recorded that speech but I don't understand a single word (because of romanian language) .

2.) what did the people shouted to him that he was so shocked then? And why did they even begin to shout?

3.) What did then Elena shouted to him when he couldn't control the crowd
during his speach?

4.) Why didn't Ceausescu try to fly out of Romania with helicipter? Why did he later leave the helicopter and try to escape with car?

5.) Who captured Elena and Nicolae?

6.) Is is true that he and his wife Elena were singing a song "Awaken Romanian" just before they were executed?

7.) why did the people of Romania hate Elena Ceausescu so much?

I will be glad if I get any answer .
 Post Reply Post Reply