Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 46>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 13-Oct-2009 at 14:30
I have my copy of Thucydides as well which I will read afterwards. I will take notes from the book by Kagan.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2009 at 13:36
I am currently reading about the snipers in Stalingrad!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2009 at 08:07
Originally posted by opuslola

I am currently reading about the snipers in Stalingrad!

Did you see the movie "Enemy at the Gates" ?
It is related to your book.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 18-Oct-2009 at 12:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2009 at 12:00
"Family in ottomans" writed by ilber ortaylı.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2009 at 11:42
I am reading Euclid's Window, The Story of Geometry from Parallel Lines to Hyperspace by Leonard Mlodinow for my on again, off again interest in mathematics.

For history, I am reading Empty Cloud, an autobiography of Xu Yun (a 19th- 20th century Chinese Zen Buddhist monk)
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2009 at 20:05
Yes, I even enjoyed most of the movie. I am currently reading for the third or fouth time Fahrenheit 451, which was also a movie I enjoy every time I see it. It is like other movies in the Black and White times, as in Dr. Strangelove, which is unlike Dr. Zhivago, which leaves me depressed and similar to Ben Hur, which always leaves me uplifted!

But, of course we are mostly discussing history, etc., so I am constantly refering to Hobbes "Leviathan", and Machiavelli's "Discourses on Livy!", as well as Newton's "Chronology of Ancient Kingdoms, Ammended. etc." One book of interest is my 1911 copy of Hamilton's translation of Gregorovius, entitled "The Roman Journals of Gregorovius, 1852-1874." It tells the reader the condition of Italy's stock of ancient documents as he found them, IE, turning into dust!

I currently read the works of A. T. Fomenko, et.al., and I enjoy mostly books of paintings about historical events, a couple of examples are "Battles of the Medieval World", and "Battles of the Crusades", wherein I find a "late Medieval illumination", showing the capture of Guy de Lusignan, the King of Jerusalem, by Saladin! Strangly, Saladin is shown wearing breast protection consisting of golden fleur de lis, upon a purple background! I seem to find clues in both the paintings and etchings, as well as the maps all of the time.

I also constantly refer to the works of Barbara G. Walker, because she offers a woman's look at things, and many times makes things easier to explain. As well I have a good supply of maps and representations of the past. An a number of books concerning the American War Between the States.

Of course I also have numerous other historial books, as well as my collection of about 1,200 Science Fiction works.

If one of you could send me "step by step instructions" as to the correct path needed to actually show the paintings and maps, on this site, as others have done, I would attempt to post them. I have a scanner, and if I can ever find out what happened to the power supply I would be able to actually scan some of the paintings found in my books, etc. As you have noticed, I cannot duplicate even the posting of hyperlink addresses! Laugh!

Edited by opuslola - 19-Oct-2009 at 20:12
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2009 at 22:49
I am reading the script of "The History Boys".
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2009 at 12:53
I put down the book about the Pelooponnesian War to read:

"Defending the West" by Ibn Warraq. He has a really good chapter on classical Greek Antiquity so I am reading that section and one on archaeology. I think he was from Iran, is that right Cyrus?
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2009 at 16:11
bargain deal at a thrift store. I got a mint shaped hard cover book; Plato, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius for only 50 cents. I will have to wait to read it but what a deal.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2010 at 17:54
Saw this thread languishing.

Picked up a new book, By Geoffrey Nunberg.  The Title is[Simba's going to freak out]  Talking Right.  Or How conservatives turned liberalism into a Tax Raising, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show.  I've only just started it.

It's the story of a subtle linguistic campaign by conservatives to alter the meaning of our everyday political vocabulary.  "Values has strayed far from it's dictionary meaning to become the exclusive property of the Right."  Etc.  To be cont.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2010 at 18:36
Currently reading Eric Hobsbawms The Age of Empire 1875-1914.

I dont normally enjoy marxist historians but Ive enjoyed his other works. The Age of Revolutions 1789-1848 and The Age of Capital 1848-1875.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2010 at 20:06
Frank Lloyd Wright, An Autobiography!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2010 at 18:21
I just got done reading: "Barbary Wars; American Independence in the Atlantic World" by Frank Lambert-2005

&

I am now reading: "Victory in Tripoli; How America's war with the Barbary Pirates Established the U.S. Navy and Shaped a Nation" by Joshua E. London- 2005

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2010 at 22:46

I am reading Traces of the Brush, the Art of Japanese Calligraphy.   I had been looking for a copy for a long time.  Its pretty rare and retails for $50.00.

I passed it up once on "sale" for $30.00.   Then, I am walking through an antique mall and I see it for $9.00.  I could not believe my luck.

ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2010 at 01:29
I'm reading Ancient Canaan and Israel: An Introduction by Jonathan M. Golden
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2011 at 19:53
Currently I read nothing but the "Net!" Just keeping up with this site takes a lot of my time!

I spend the rest of my time waiting for A. T. Fomenko to call!

Of course I read Tarot cards for money in my spare time!

Regards,
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2011 at 19:57
Eaglecap! I notice that you were reading about the Barbary Pirates and their last days!

You know, of course, that I consider those pirates on of the wonders of the world!

I actually consider them as the "Vandals", "Saracens", "Moors", "Vikings", etc.!

"But, time presses me!"

Edited by opuslola - 20-Jan-2011 at 19:58
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 17:54
Originally posted by opuslola

Yes, I even enjoyed most of the movie. I am currently reading for the third or fouth time Fahrenheit 451, which was also a movie I enjoy every time I see it. It is like other movies in the Black and White times, as in Dr. Strangelove, which is unlike Dr. Zhivago,

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Edited by Mosquito - 21-Jan-2011 at 18:11
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2011 at 14:00
I just love it!!!! It is one of those movies where you seem to find some new tidbit of humor every time you view it!

And what a cast of characters! One of my favorites was General Jack D. Ripper, which was portrayed by an actor who has not received enough acclaim, at least in my opinion, his name was Sterling Hayden! "Feed me!", "Precious bodily fluids", etc.! Laugh!

I would certainly like to have everyone actually see this movie on the "big screen!" Even the scoring was great!

But, we are way off topic, and I bid you my regards,
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 19:08
I'm reading this book when I have time.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 14-May-2011 at 19:10
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 46>