Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 46>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 23:39
I am listening to the 35 CD set- Don Quixote. What a incredible tale and also what an incredible delusioal man, The author was a really great writer.
I saw it at the public library and since I have never read it I thought it might be easier to listen to it. It is like an oral tale!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 20:50
I picked up a used copy of the "Iliad" translated by Albert Fagles and published by Penguin books at Hastings. This is part of my research for the epic story I am working on about the fall of Constantinople 1453.

I had to copy sections of "The Fall of the Byzantine Empire; a Chronicle by George Sprantzes" because it is no longer available. I search big time for it and I could not find even a used copy.

It is translated by Marios Philippides
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 15:37

I'm reading "Clay"  "The History and Evolution of Humankind's Relationship with Earth's Most Primal Element".  By Suzanne Staubach.

Ours is a civilization built on clay.  It has played a crucial role in the development of the culinary arts, international trade, the invention of writing, and the construction of cities and towns.  It's history is the history of the human race.

Edited by red clay - 13-Oct-2008 at 15:39
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 11:51
Recently finished 'Snow' by Orhan Pamuk. Fantastic book, maps out the struggle for provincial Turkey's future. Not to mention gripping characters brilliantly developed...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 19:44
1776. By David McCullough.

Good read, McCullough also wrote a bio of Adams. A balanced and good read on Washington's first year in the Revolutionary War.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 21:19
"Il Principe" by Niccolo Machiavelli. because the guy's a genius and deserves a second run-through.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 21:36

Been on a War kick lately and it's not the kind one would think.

The War Within - A Secret Whitehouse History 2006-2008, by BoB Woodward.

It's the latest book of many covering his inner circle grasp of the executive branch.

War as They Knew It - Woody Hayes, Bo Shcembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest. This book is a neat blast from the past about two football coaches who not only lead their respective teams to lofty status but it also takes you back to a time when liberal politics were the mainstream on campus. Bo and Woody led teams, their Universities and lent an ear to presidents as well.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 21:55
I am reading:

El amo de los astros (The master of the celestial bodies) of Ernesto Silva Roman, Cuentos fantásticos (fantastic tales) of Agustin Edwards and Thimor of Manuel Astica Fuentes. The three books belong to the early Chilean science fiction, from the 1920s.
I am preparing a conference on the topic.

Edited by pinguin - 14-Oct-2008 at 21:55
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 04:30
Originally posted by Seko

Been on a War kick lately and it's not the kind one would think.

The War Within - A Secret Whitehouse History 2006-2008, by BoB Woodward.

It's the latest book of many covering his inner circle grasp of the executive branch.

War as They Knew It - Woody Hayes, Bo Shcembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest. This book is a neat blast from the past about two football coaches who not only lead their respective teams to lofty status but it also takes you back to a time when liberal politics were the mainstream on campus. Bo and Woody led teams, their Universities and lent an ear to presidents as well.

I got to pick up those and have a read.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 03:26
About a quarter way through Stephen Runcimans history of the crusades (Volume II)

I probably wouldn't be reading about it if I weren't doing the crusades in college. However, having to read things out of necessity often turns out to be a labour of love - Runciman is a great storyteller and I'm getting a brilliant rundown on the crusades as well.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 04:22
I am reading Freakonomics for the second time, and it's still truly excellent stuff. I highly recommend!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 13:40
Parnell: I read a Runciman's History of the Crusades for my major work throughout this year. It is, as you said, brilliant, and set a benchmark for Crusading history and historiography.

At present I'm relaxing with a couple of books...

1. Monsters of God by David Quammen - psychological and ecological relationship between man and 'man-eater', focusing on perceptions throughout history.
2. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius - the great philosopher-emperor's thoughts on, well, everything!
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 03:27
I'm reading Small Favors by Jim Butcher God I love the Dresden Files

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 12:19
Read 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James recently. A psychoanalyst's paradise.

At the minute i'm reading 'The Tale of Gamelyn' and 'The Knight's Tale', the latter by Chaucer. Interesting, but dense in terms of modern interpretation.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 14:03
The Knights Tale is crap. Heath Ledger didn't do it justice...
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by Parnell

The Knights Tale is crap. Heath Ledger didn't do it justice...

Sir Orfeo, on the other hand, is quite literally delectable!

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 11:49
At present I am reading the first definitive biography of Tamerlane - "The Rise and Rule of Tamerlane" by B.F. Manz. It has been very good so far, making a good thesis whilst supplying concise information in a clear manner.

I'm also continuing to dab into my animal encyclopaedia to refresh my knowledge in a few areas. Smile
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 12:28
I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for 9th or 10th time.Smile
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 18:43
i am now reading...

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
by Thomas E. Woods

This is a book I suggest all my good liberal friends here should read or anyone.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2009 at 07:32
Originally posted by faram

I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for 9th or 10th time.Smile
Outstanding.Clap  One can never read Tolkien too many times.  I recently purchased goldsworthy's biography on Caesar and have just started it, considering the author I expect it to be excellent.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 46>