Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 46>
Author
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 20:59

Amir Khan

Is "Prince Henry, the Navigator -- A Life" any good? I have thought of purchasing a copy many times, but have never done so. Do you recommend it?

I am reading an old biography of "Sir Charles Dilke", written by Roy Jenkins. The author is one of my favourite biographers.

Stewart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 08:08
The Blind Owl, Sadegh Hedayat
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 12:15

Flyboys by James Bradley.

On the surface it's about the air war in the Pacific WW II, but it covers much of the history that led to the war and doesn't pull any punches. Good Book.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:10
Hi,
I'm reading El Corazon a contra luz
A novel by Patricio Mann about the slaw death of Selk'man native in the
God Hope strait. A book with balls... and hairs upon it! It's excellent.
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 00:05
This is a wonderful resource list for classic literature and it is completely free for those interested...

Free Classic Literature

I have no affiliation with this website I only found it very useful and wanted to share the resource...

Edited by dirtnap

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 15:24
The Greek Philosophers, A Compilation

Meno, The Republic, Gorgias: Plato
Principal Doctrines: Epicurus
Meditations: Marcus Aurelius
Discourses: Epictetus
De Rerum Natura: Lucretius
Enneads: Plotinus
Metaphysics, Nicomachean Ethics Book I, Physics Book II: Aristotle

By Rex Mentor
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 06:58

Lately:

"Sagas about the Kings of the North" - Snurri Sturulson

"A Mirror of the World" - Mehmed Neshri

" The Crusades through Arab Eyes" - Amin Maaluf

" The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America`s Response" - Peter Balakian

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 18:02
I am reading a biogrpahy on Mohammed. It is a picture book!
vespasian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote vespasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 18:10
I'm reading "Strategery" by Bill Sammon, and the Alexiad of Anna Comnena. Not at the same time, of course.
Is someone going to tell Triple H that someone beat him to the title "King of Kings"?
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 04:00

Currently:

Ataturk and his age. The war of independece and the government of Mustapha Kemal Atatuk by Istvn Flesch

The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 06:15

Do you have some maps of the Greco-Turkish war in 1919-1922?

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 15:33
Just finished a small novel by James Patterson entitled - Letters from Sam to Jennifer. A bit of a tear-jerker! I cried throughout the entire last chapter!

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 08:47
Anabasis of Xenophon: Completed

it sounds as dream, Unbelievable as to be History book

Edited by Land of Aryan
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 21:09
Hi,
Reading "the Manuscript found in Saragossa" by Potocki and loving loving
loving it. Ghosts, talmud fighters and witches moriscas, gitanos and
duels...
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 23:22

A Study of History -Arnold J. Toynbee. The full, multi-volume, unabridged final edition.

I'm on the Disintergrations of Civilizations section right now.

"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 15:03

Excerpt from an Amazon book review - Justin Marozzi traveled in the footsteps of this fearsome emperor of Samarkand (modern-day Uzbekistan) to write this book, which is part history, part travelogue. He carefully follows the path of this infamous and enigmatic conqueror, recounting the history and the story of this cruel, cultivated, and indomitable warrior.

I started reading it yesterday. One of the footnotes talks about some superstitious beliefs about disturbing his tomb. There was a myth about leaving him in peace otherwise the sh__ will hit the fan.

Wiki explains:

On an interesting note, Timur's body was exhumed from his tomb in 1941 by the renowned Russian anthropologist Mikhail M. Gerasimov. The scientist found that Timur's facial characteristics conformed to that of Mongoloid features, supporting Timur's notion, in some part, that he was descended from Genghis Khan. He also confirmed Timur's lameness. Gerasimov was able to reconstruct the likeness of Timur from his skull.

Famously, a curse has been attached to opening Timur's tomb. In the year of Timur's death, a sign was carved in Timur's tomb warning that whoever would dare disturb the tomb would bring demons of war onto his land. Gerasimov's expedition opened the tomb on June 19, 1941. Operation Barbarossa, which claimed more lives than any other war in history, began three days later on June 22, 1941. The legend of Tamerlane's curse features prominently in the 2006 Russian blockbuster Day Watch.

Coincidentally, once the skeletal remains were properly put back, in 1943 the Germans were repulsed at the battle of Stalingrad.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 21:05
American history for me.

I finally got around to reading David McCullough's 1776. It is actually a pretty interesting account of the Revolutionary War; it's written in a style that's intriguing, in any case.

In the past few months I've also read The Barbary Coast about Jefferson's sending of Marines to Tripoli and I also read The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, an account of TR's amazon journey in S. America where he almost died, between the time he left the Presidency and his run for a second term with the Progressives.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 14:45
I am reading the Da Vinci code for the first time before it comes out in theaters!!!!

----So far it has already been fast paced from the beginning and i cannot put it down!!! its that crazy and good!!!
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:05
I'm currently reading "Man in the Shadows". It's interesting to say the least

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 01:10

Currently reading:

"History of the Byzantine State" by George Ostrogorsky

"Londinium-London in the Roman Empire" by John Morris

"Preparatory and College Latin Courses in English" by William C. Wilkinson

"The 100-a ranking of the most influential persons in history" by Michael Hart

Plato's "Republic"

"Cassells World History of Warfare" by Holger Herwig, Christon Archer, Timothy Travers, and John Ferris

Just Finished:

"The Extraordinary voyage of Pytheas the Greek" by Barry Cunliffe

Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"

"First Armies" by Doyne Dawson

"The Renaissance at War" by Thomas Arnold

"Warfare in the Eighteenth Century" by Jeremy Black

"Royalty's Strangest Characters" by Geoff Tibballs

"Hannibal" by Ernle Bradford

"Genghis Khan Conqueror of the World" by Leo De Hartog

All of them are quite good.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 46>