Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 46>
Author
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:33

I just finished Goethe's "Faust" (I had to because of school).

Before that one I've read "Unfinished Tales" by Tolkien.

Edited by Beowulf
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 22:09
Actually it is audio but I am listening to
"Baudolino" by Umberto ECO in cassete or I will tonight. Has anyone read the book?
It takes place during and just after the Fourth Crusade in 1204 AD and it is in the words of Tony the Tiger, GREAT!!!

Edited by eaglecap
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 16:54
Well, this holiday season gave me some extra time to do some heavy duty reading. I read the three following books and recommend all of them (if you like mysteries as I do):

S is for Silence - by Sue Grafton ( a great mystery - missing persons case) I've read other Grafton books and find her writing detailed and intense.

Mary, Mary - by James Patterson ( a great murder mystery)

Forever Odd - by Dean Koontz (another great mystery novel)

Regards,
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 16:29

i have started  to read this book at christmas

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 16:31

and this as well

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 16:51
I recently finished a second reading on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Currently, I plan to begin Niccolo Machiavelli's Art of War for the first time. I am very excited about this read!
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 03:35

Its a good read, you will be pleased.

I am currently reading this book, about the role of trickster in mythology and culture:

I just finished this book, which was good ad easy but not great about mercenaries in late medieval Italy:

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by Mosquito

Right now im reading the book of Andrzej Sapkowski "Bozy wojownicy" (can translate it into english as "Gods wariors" or "Divine Wariors"). It is a second book of story after "Narenturm".

Authour is quite famous in Poland as a fantasy wirtter but his books Narrenturm and God's Wariors are very different than his other books.

At the first look the book seems to be a historic novel. Action takes place in the 15th century during hussite wars. The historic backrground is really good and i didnt find any mistakes so far. But well, its hard to say that it is historic book because it has its second bottom. Medieval ages were famous for burning witches and wizzards and in these books they really exists. So in the completelly historical world we find a group of people who are usually the professors or students of medieval european universities but are in the same time they are secretelly practicing magic and alchemy and often they can be found behind the real historical events and battles. Right now iv read 1/5 of the book and find it really interesting. The Pope called crusade against Czech heretics under the command of Henri de Beaufort which invaded Bohemia and was cut on pieces by the hussite army.  Really interesting story.

Yes, the Hussites were a very interesting people. Peasants and farmers hiding in wagons using any weapon available to slaughter armies much bigger than them.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 14:43
Just picked up a book about Anna Comnena from the Eastern Washington University library,so I thought I would read this before I reread the Alexiad of Anna Comnena. It is by Rae Dalven with a copyright of 1972 so if any else knows about a newer biography about her or her father let me know.
EWU has a quite a large collection about Byzantine history but since they no longer have a medieval or ancient history grad program I am worried it could get sold off. If so, I will be there!!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 09:00

u lgn Trkler

Those Crazy Turks

It's telling about Turkish Indepence War and creating of Turkey.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 13:03

Originally posted by eaglecap

Actually it is audio but I am listening to
"Baudolino" by Umberto ECO in cassete or I will tonight. Has anyone read the book?
It takes place during and just after the Fourth Crusade in 1204 AD and it is in the words of Tony the Tiger, GREAT!!!

Baudolino was pretty good, for anyone interested in European medieval mythology. Name of the Rose was better, however.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Scealai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Scealai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 19:03

I've just bought a book called Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916 about the leaders of the IRA at the time.  Of course, it talks about Michael Collins and Eamon De Valera, but it really goes into detail about all that happened during that time. 

Also, I'm reading Beowulf for the first time, and I really want to pick up Machiavelli's The Prince

Diversity is what makes the world beautiful.
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 19:45
Beowulf is a great book! Also, check out Grendel when you are finished.....
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Scealai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Scealai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 18:03
I'm also really curious to read some Greek philosophy and predictions--Socrates and Nostradomas (sp?) really interest me. 
Diversity is what makes the world beautiful.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:56

"The Peloponnesian war - Athens, Sparta and the struggle for Greece" by Nigel Bagnall.

Very sad to read that the author died in April 2002 only 2 months after this book was finished, having greatly enjoyed his book on the Punic wars its a shame there won't be anymore from him.

large image

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 09:00

i`ve read  Baudolino  a few  years ago (2  i think) i  found  it horrible.Was absolutly  not my taste  for  a novel. Too much  fiction for  a  history  novel and too much history  for  a fiction novel.

i`m reading  "sun tzu art of  war"  and  studying  his strategies in sense of today

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:20
I just finished reading John Keegans', The First World War.  Excellent book, eloquently written.  If you want to learn about the great war this book is a must read.  Plus the bibliography is incredibly in depth and he gives comments on which books you should read regarding certain aspects of the war.

Edited by Justinian
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 01:00

I was thinking of beginning The Art of War (Machiavelli), but decided to read Robert Louis Stevenson's, "Strange Case of Dr.Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde." I will be finished with this book in a couple of days, it has been great so far.

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 02:02
I just started reading "Striking Back" by Aaron Klein. It's very good so far.

Edited by Illuminati
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 15:38

Currently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, Platos' Republic and Genghis Khan Conqueror of the World by Leo De Hartog.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 46>