Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 46>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 03:27
Building a Character, by Constantin Stanislavsky.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:21
I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It is very interesting.
Poliphilia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Poliphilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 07:44
I'm reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 13:19
Reading Lolita in Tehran - a very interesting book.  I will give a more detailed description and introduction in the future.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 15:04

reading the latest issue of HiFI+

It's an english audio magazine. I get high by smelling the pages.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 06:28
The Samanids by Mohamadreza Naji

The Sāmānid dynasty (875-999) was a Persian dynasty in Central Asia, named after its founder Saman Khoda.

They ruled for 102 years and 10 days, and ruled over Khorasan, Ray, Transoxiania, Tabaristan, Kerman, Gorgan, and west until Isfahan Province.

They revived Persian traditions and language after the Islamic conquest of Iran. Their capitals were Bukhara, Samarqand and Herat. In 999 their realm was conquered by the Karakhanids.

The Samanids were the first native rulers of Iran and Central Asia after the Arabic conquest, and they are considered the beginning of the Tajik nation. In commending the Samanids, the epic poet Ferdowsi says of them:

کجا آن بزرگان ساسانیان
زبهرامیا&# 1606; تا بسامانیا 06;

"To where have the great Sassanids all gone?
To the Bahrāmids and Samanids what has come upon?"

To further legitimate the dynasty, the Samanids claimed to be descendants of the Sassanid emperor Bahram Chobin and thus descendants of the royal Mihran Clan (one of the Seven Parthian clans).

The Mausoleum of Ismail the Samanid

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 19:27
Dune - Frank Herbert (again), love that book.
I've also started De Waarheid (The truth) by Terry Pratchett, but its slow going so far, the Dutch version changes all the names so i don't know who is who anymore
Arrrgh!!"
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 21:03
Oh  I love that book  haven't read it in a long time. How many times is it for you?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 22:04
Must be the 6th. I watched the movie (1984 version) on i think it was sunday, and half of it again today, and i ordered the new Sci-Fi channel version yesterday (should be here by monday), though i have seen that once already. Eventualy i'll order the second Sci-fi channel instalment (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune wrapped into one) when i have some cash handy (or if ther price comes down, its 30 pounds on Amazon UK ).

I've been struck down with Dune fevor again, fortunatly i own the 6 original books, so i should weather it OK
Arrrgh!!"
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 23:15
I saw the movie before I read the first book although many hate it for meit  made a good intro but now years later  Paul Atreides always looks like Kyle Maclachlan and it caused me no end of trouble watching the newer films.  I moght just have to go find that book . you could be starting a trend.   What did you think of the newer additions to the saga?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 13:50
I actualy read the first Dune book last, after i'd read the other 5 and seen Lynch's movie (i think i watched Lynch's movie after reading maybe 2 of the Dune books, and not in order).
I could see when i watched the movie that on one hand shortcuts had been taken, and a minimal extra narative had been added to help newcomers to the Dune universe. But having read the first book i came too see that the shortcuts often took away parts of the story making it a little harder to follow, and the bits added result in more questions than answers.

The Sci-Fi channel version arrived today, Go Amazon! thats what 6 hours of this evening gone for sure, i have to squeeze some wanton making into there somewhere (its officialy wanton-weekend here, to use up a rather large pack of wanton pastry we seem to have had sitting in our freezer for quite a while). Anyways, this version is much truer to the book, but it lacks the epic feel the first movie had, and i havn't seen the second installment yet but other than a rather dodgy looking Susan Sarandon, is said to be better made (bigger budget presumably).

The new additions, the prequels and even scarier, a proposed sequel by F. Herbert's son i presume. Horrible, but i will read each and everyone of them, and
Brian knows this.
Uhhhg.
Thing is they could be half decent stories by themselves, but he is blatently trying to tie up ever minor lose end in the originals, from how Gurney Halleck got his scar to how the 'old Duke' got killed by a Bull (Salusian Bulls with two hearts? Please). He does this so much (and often with disreprensies with the originals) that it really feels like the books were planned around those little plot devices (which realy, only exist for flavour in the originals).
And on times it really feels like the writers didn't read the originals, sometimes it feels like they took ideas from the movie or something.

The first three prequels were the worst for this reason, the next three, about the great revolt, at least i can accept them as a seperate story that just happens to be set in the same Universe (albeit 10,000 years earlier).
And now theres a 'road to Dune', little bits that got left out of the originals, plus some chat transcripts, and stuff Brian and his Star Wars buddy cooked up, a 'Dune 7' (sequel, stretched out into two books) is in the works, and the latest print eddition of the original Dune book supposidly has extra bits by Brian in there.
Granted i'm hearing some of this from hysterical and upset fans but blech.

I think someone will do another screenversion some time, but i hope its not too soon as Hollywood is going through a 'lets-remake'old-stuff' phase (again) and it would just get turned into a cash cow.

Hmm, maybe i should get to cooking those wantons.
Arrrgh!!"
Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 14:02
I'm reading Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres.

In summary, it follows the life of a mixed Greek and Turkish village in Anatolia around the time of Kemal Ataturk and the heart-wrenching, life dismantling population exchanges of the time.  Aside from the usual biased publications concerning this topic, it adopts a truely neutral zone and laments the pain caused in general by all people on all people whilst following individual storys of the lives of a Greek girl or a Turkish village boy...

Truely inspiring, reflective and humbling.
A must for Turks and Greeks in particular.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 08:17
I am reading Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America by James H. Webb. The book has been pretty good so far, as it shows how many of the Scots-Irish don't even know that they are Scots-Irish.  It also shows how greatly and disproportionately the Scots-Irish affected America. Surprisingly, Out of all of the presidents, twelve had Scots-Irish descent.F%7DImg100.jpg">

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 11:21

I never got around to reading the second set of prequels as the first where disappointing enough and I haven't had the others come into my store yet.(can't spend money on books I know are going to be only so so).  Must admit that I have not been paying attention to what the plans are for the dune universe so had know idea that there are more in the works. of all of them which did you like best? please don't tell me God emperor of dune.

The large time span that is covered and all the prequels etc. reminds me abit of the Mists of Avalon series  for some reason. 

Hollywood remakes are going to drive me nuts - I swear they haven't had an original thought in 5 years or more.

At the moment I'm reading A storm of swords (again) by George Martin. every read it? 

Edited by Dawn
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 11:51

Prince henry, the navigator, a life

By Peter Russel

My favourite historical time period is around the time of this character.

benzs_s View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote benzs_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 11:52
In fiction, I'm reading (or doing my best to get through) Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn, but really I'm swamped in books on Pompey, the first triumvirate, Cicero's multitude of letters and Polybios. 
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 12:51

im reading Candide, by Voltaire.

i am also reading disgrace, by Coetzee, which is about the end apartheid in south africa.

i recommend that everyone who is interested in ancient history read waiting for the barbarians, by JM Coetzee, its about the collapse of an empire, very interesting, puts you in the mind set of the time.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 05:44
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas, pre.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 22:23
I am reading A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan.

Luv_ya_Azerbaijan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:35

Im reading Two for the devil by Allen Hoffman

Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 46>