Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being Muslim the Bosniak Way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Muslim the Bosniak Way
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 05:41
Originally posted by Hamoudeh

It seems to me that in Bosnia, as well as some other Muslim countries, there exists a confusion between what is traditional way of its people and foreign influences.

Islam too is a "foreign influence" for all countries outside Arabic peninsula

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 10:13
^ As is Christianity.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 12:02
Originally posted by YuGo

[QUOTE=Hamoudeh]

It seems to me that in Bosnia, as well as some other Muslim countries,

Sorry, I don't want to ruin this thread.... but, it bugs me when people confuze Bosnia as a Muslim country. There is no religion that makes a majority over 50% of the Bosnian population, and if anything both Orthodox Bosnians and Catholic Bosnians belong to Christianity, which makes up 48.6% of the population.. while Muslims make up 43%...

Anyways, Nice topic!

Muslims are well over 50% Now.Before they were 47%,Including those Yugoslavs

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 17:06

What source do you have for this information?

None of the encyclopedias I have seen state the muslim population of Bosnia and Herzegovina as over 50%.

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:06
Cya claims 48%
And my source is demography

Here is breakdown by each county

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:08
Aw wont let me paste

Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 22:43

According to the CIA's official fact book, 40% of Bosnia-Herzegovina's population identified themselves as "Muslim" and 48% identified themselves as "Bosniaks" - in either classification, it is clearly that the Bosniak or Muslim population forms the bulk of the country's population.

It is reasonable to assume that 48% of Bosnians are Muslim by descent since that is the number that chose to identify themselves as "Bosniaks" -a term that was only recently introduced in order to replace the old Yugoslavian term "Muslim" - the small percentage of Bosniaks that chose not to classify themselves as "Muslims" may not have done so for a variety of reasons, the most probable being that they are not religious or devout or that they come from a mixed background.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bk.html#Pe ople

The current population of Bosniaks in the world stands ar 3.1 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks

Bosnia currently enjoys "observer" status in the Organization of the Islamic Conference (previously known as the Organization of Islamic Countries) and is awaiting full membership.

http://www.sesrtcic.org/oic/oicaccda.shtml

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but I appreciated Mila's first post. I would like to ask her and any other Bosniaks or Bosnian Muslims on this forum how they feel about the mass rapes of Muslim women, and the whole scale massacres of Muslim men at the hands of Serbs that took place during the war. What is the general perception that Muslims/Bosniaks have of Serbs now? Considering the subhuman ways in which Serbs raped, gang raped, and murdered Muslim women and men, I would think that the Bosniaks naturally gravitated back towards their Islamic roots and identification.

Edited by Master_Blaster
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 23:54
SmileThis Cia website was estimate for 2001,which was like 5 years ago.Serbs and Croats have high death rate or mortality,especially Serbs and Bosniaks even with smaller birth rate have adlist adventage of reproduction.Not to mention most of Croats left Bosnia.Catholic church estimate for number of Catholics,thats Croats is some 466 000,and before they were more then 750 000.New census will be ,but only in 2010,four years from now,which is long period
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 19:50

Originally posted by violentjack

This Cia website was estimate for 2001,which was like 5 years ago.Serbs and Croats have high death rate or mortality,especially Serbs and Bosniaks even with smaller birth rate have adlist adventage of reproduction.Not to mention most of Croats left Bosnia.Catholic church estimate for number of Catholics,thats Croats is some 466 000,and before they were more then 750 000.New census will be ,but only in 2010,four years from now,which is long period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks

Wikipedia lists the Bosniak population at 3.1 million, even if we are to take out the 300,000 Bosnian Muslims who reside in Turkey and have taken on a Turkish identity, the Bosniak population would still stand at 2.8 million with the vast majority being Sunni Muslims.

http://www.factbook.net/muslim_pop.php

Factbook.net lists the Bosnian Muslim population at 2.3 million and constituting 60% of Bosnia-Herzegovina's total population.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:34

Fabulous post, Bosnia has some beautiful architectural sites its great to see these people who suffered so much getting back to their daily lives and returning to their wonderfull traditions, culture and their faith in their religion.

How is the situation now? is Bosnia looking to join the EU?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 20:22
Bosniak population is around 8 or 9 million
Only in Albania there is some 50 000 Bosniaks,but most declare themself as other or Albanian from pressure,but when census is done they are still Bosniak.Some 80% ,rest consider themself as Bosniak.There is town in Albania with some 20 000 people,more then third of people consider themself Bosniaks,but with pressure and some respect,for host Albanians,declare themself as Albanians

There is also town called Debar in Macedonia,where Macedonians dont count Bosniaks,but just put Gorani or Torbeshi,though those people dont feel like that

Bosniaks who came into Turkey 100 years ago  stil regard themself as Bosniak and Turk
If people could report dual ethnicity  in Turkey ,number of Bosniaks would jump to some 5 million if not more
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 21:41

The Slavic Muslims - Bosniak and others- who migrated from Eastern European lands to Turkey following the demise of the Ottoman Empire have all taken up a Turkish identity and classify themselves as Turks now.

Also, can you please provide sources to support your claims? Thank you.

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:22
Big smileSorry its in Bosnia
But if you type in google Bosnia Turkey bosneli or bosnawi you will get lot of hits
Some were my essays i wrote about
1) Bosniaks in Albania some 50 000 just 10 000 official
2) Bosniaks in Macedonia same number, only 20 000 declare themself as Bosnian
3) Bosniaks in Turkey with more distant relatives number,prepare yourself for this 9 million
Yes 9 million

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:23
Total number of Bosnians is around 15 million
So this 3 million number is fake

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 08:47
MILA, AWESOME THREAD!!!! MASHALLAH!

I really like Ceric more and more now. And I wish our people continue to be muslim the way we've always been, we don't need foreigners to teach us about that.

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 12:03
If people could report dual ethnicity  in Turkey ,number of Bosniaks would jump to some 5 million if not more

I think your sources exaggerate these numbers. Yes, there are many people with Turkish ancestry from former Ottoman vilayets in Balkans, and there are also direct descendents of Muslim Bosnian and Albanian parents, but if we even add them all, we wouldn't get a total number of five million.

After the Balkan wars, most Muslims, a Muslim population around 1.5 million, who could save themselves from the massacres found refuge in Istanbul, Thrace and Western Anatolia. And about half of these people were from Bosnia and Albania.
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 18:30
I am still confused as to why the Bosnian Muslims sought independance from the then-Yugoslavia since there are hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims still residing in Serbia and Montenegro and they seem to be living there in relative peace with their Slavic kinsmen.

What is troubling about the demise of Yugoslavia is that the Bosnian Muslims were targeted for wholescale massacres, rapes, and genocide for seeking autonomy and/or independance but the other peoples of Yugoslavia - Croats, Macedonians, and recently, the Montenegrins - were allowed to gain independance peacefully. It just shows the disgusting racism the Serbs have for the Muslims of the Balkans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 19:18
War raged in Croatia from '91-'95, the only places in the former Yugoslavia which were not impacted greatly by civil war were Macedonia, and Montenegro. Slovenia had a 10 day war for independence.

Edited by balkanitus - 05-Jun-2006 at 19:30
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 20:11
Originally posted by balkanitus

War raged in Croatia from '91-'95, the only places in the former Yugoslavia which were not impacted greatly by civil war were Macedonia, and Montenegro. Slovenia had a 10 day war for independence.

It appeads to me that the Bosnian Muslims were the main victims of Serbian nationalist aggression. I haven't heard of the wholescale massacres and rapes inflicted upon other Orthodox Christian populations that seceded from the former Yugoslavia. Am I mistaken?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 21:25

Wars between the Christian Orthodox members in the former Yugoslavia were never evident; all the wars in the former Yugoslavia were defined by ethnic lines. And in the former Yugoslavia, predominantly, religion went hand in hand with nationality. At least, amongst the groups who were considered Narodi (Nationalities) in the constitution of the SFRY.

Civilian casualties were evident on all sides; however, the Bosniaks/Muslims felt the largest brunt of this as evidenced in the Research and Documentation Centre of Sarajevo when compared to the Serbian and Croatian casualties of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

PS. I am looking for approximate figures for the rapes that took place in Bosnia-Herzegovina; I need researchers and websites if anyone has them. No hearsay, but actual research conducted.

Thank you very much

I suggest you read Mirsad Tokaca's report or report conducted by Ewa Tabeau and Jacub Bijak to get a better understanding of the amount casualties in the Bosnian civil war.

Edited by balkanitus - 05-Jun-2006 at 21:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>