Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Balkan music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balkan music
    Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 04:12
Let's show the world what is Balkan music
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 04:26

To Yiannis(the moderator).

Well I must reveal you that I have 25% greek origine.My grand grand father was a greek.He lived in Kavala and have a tavern there.But my grand grand mother was a bulgarian girl and now I have some greek blood in me.May be this is the reason that I like greek music and learn greece without many problem.

And now about music.To 1990 the music in Bulgaria was linked with Russian estrada,and then we turn back to balkan music (chalga).Bulgaria have such good position that you can hear here all kind of balkan music themes-Srbian,Greek,Turkish and other all kind of balkan music meet in Bulgaria.

Yane Sandanski
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 05:57

Ok! I have some relatives in Kavala (but I have never been there!)

I hear it's a wonderful city, have you ever visited? It's so close to Bulgaria after all.

About Balkan music, I'm not sure there's such a thing in modern days. Unless you mean traditional songs, the modern ones are just pop music (at least most of them)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 07:30
Originally posted by Red_Lord

Well I must reveal you that I have 25% greek origine.My grand grand father was a greek.He lived in Kavala and have a tavern there.But my grand grand mother was a bulgarian girl and now I have some greek blood in me.May be this is the reason that I like greek music and learn greece without many problem.

And now about music.To 1990 the music in Bulgaria was linked with Russian estrada,and then we turn back to balkan music (chalga).Bulgaria have such good position that you can hear here all kind of balkan music themes-Srbian,Greek,Turkish and other all kind of balkan music meet in Bulgaria.

Red_Lord, you've misscalculated. You are not 25, but 12.5 % Greek. I saw a movie about king Leonidas and the battle of Thermopily on the History channel and am begining to envy you a bit...

Regards.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 13:22

I'll post something I would say back in the military history forum, that in fact the Baituska (that's at least how it sounds in greek) is a traditional Bulgarian dance adopted by Thracians (People living in Thrace). Perhaps you didn't have this in mind when you talked about common music themes but I think my example has its value as its not modern but quite old. At some time during the last 10+ centuries the Greeks of southern Bulgaria borrowed Baituska.

As this thread is called Balkan music, another examble is the tsamikos dance, which was originally albanian, but is used in a huge amount of traditional Greek songs.

By the way Yianni, where is your girlfriend from? I had two classmates from some villages from Florina who also had spoken of elder people that identified themselves as Bulgarians. Of course our 'education' system has worked well, and all young people from there have a very strong Greek identity. Ah, also note that these people now shouldn't be called Bulgarians but 'Macedonians'

You know if there are slavic speakers in the way between Thessaloniki and Veroia? I travel every day there (from Thessaloniki, because I'm from this year a student of a department of engineers of Horotaxia kai anaptyxi (say that in english)that belongs to the A.p.th) and I've noticed that there are Cyrillic inscriptions! I know that in Giannitsa there used to be many Bulgarians, but in Veroia not.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:25
Originally posted by xristar

I'll post something I would say back in the military history forum, that in fact the Baituska (that's at least how it sounds in greek) is a traditional Bulgarian dance adopted by Thracians (People living in Thrace). Perhaps you didn't have this in mind when you talked about common music themes but I think my example has its value as its not modern but quite old. At some time during the last 10+ centuries the Greeks of southern Bulgaria borrowed Baituska.

As this thread is called Balkan music, another examble is the tsamikos dance, which was originally albanian, but is used in a huge amount of traditional Greek songs.

By the way Yianni, where is your girlfriend from? I had two classmates from some villages from Florina who also had spoken of elder people that identified themselves as Bulgarians. Of course our 'education' system has worked well, and all young people from there have a very strong Greek identity. Ah, also note that these people now shouldn't be called Bulgarians but 'Macedonians'

You know if there are slavic speakers in the way between Thessaloniki and Veroia? I travel every day there (from Thessaloniki, because I'm from this year a student of a department of engineers of Horotaxia kai anaptyxi (say that in english)that belongs to the A.p.th) and I've noticed that there are Cyrillic inscriptions! I know that in Giannitsa there used to be many Bulgarians, but in Veroia not.

Well I'll be... A Greek finally admited that there are Bulgarians in North Greece and that they are being assimilated. Making progress...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 05:45

Xristar, I cannot possibly remember the name now (and she's not near to remind me  at the moment

It's a small mountain village, nearly deserted now. Somewhere north of Ptolemais. Population was mixed.

Bulgarian, no one in his right mind can deny this. Population in the Balkans, after the Ottomans withdrawal, was mixed. Even after the exchanges of population, many chose to remain in their lands and got assimilated to the majority around them. Some because of political pressure, others simply by intermarriage. Do you happen to have any info about the Greeks in southern Bulgaria? Are there any left today or they have all left/assimilated?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 09:12

It's undeniable that Slavics live in Greece, the point is how many of them are there, and how many Greeks live in our northern neighbouring countries. Know also, that the Slavic speakers of Greece, if ever recognized they will be recognized as 'Macedonians' ( ), as the US press us. I don't know if Bulgaria has made any efforts to take this minority under her protection. These people are not recognized minority, because Bulgaria does not seem to care, and FYROM that cares, wants them to be called 'Macedonians'. The result? As these people have no identity they become really easily Greeks. After all, the two last generations barely speak the language.

Also, when I'm reffering to Cyrillic inscriptions, there is also a good chance that these people who wrote them are Russians etc who came after the collapse of USSR. Also these inscriptions are hard to find, I found them because I was looking for them.

I saw a documentary some days ago about the Greeks of Mesembria. What rights do these people have, in order to keep their Greek identity?

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 09:21

The area north of Ptolemaida is the core of the Slavic element of Greece, actually.

These people abandoned their villages when the army was approaching back in 1949, as they had tried to autonomize Macedonia and had participated strongly in the Communist side (in the last battle at Grammos and Vitsi, more than half of the Communists were Slavics). I know that from my grandfather. He told me, when they entered the marked villages on the map (Vevi and the villages around, the fate of these villages would be greysome at least), they found them totally empty, abandoned in hurry, with the plates on the tables, the wardrobes full etc.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 18:12

If you want Balkan Music, you can listen to Muammer Ketencolu, who discovers nice songs all over the Balkans and Turkey and he also plays zeybeks, both in Turkish and Greek:

http://www.muammerketencoglu.com/gruplar.php?gr=2

http://www.muammerketencoglu.com/gruplar.php?gr=1

Also a very nice clip, where he sings about how he drinks his raki and loves his Fatma (a zeybek with Balkan flavour):

http://www.muammerketencoglu.com/video/Muammer%20Ketencoglu% 20-%20Fatmam_17348.mpg

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Yiannis

Ok! I have some relatives in Kavala (but I have never been there!)

I hear it's a wonderful city, have you ever visited? It's so close to Bulgaria after all.

About Balkan music, I'm not sure there's such a thing in modern days. Unless you mean traditional songs, the modern ones are just pop music (at least most of them)

Yes I have visited.Realy very beautiful city.In Bulgaria his brother is Turnovo(their architecture is similar).

Yane Sandanski
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 06:02
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Originally posted by Red_Lord

Red_Lord, you've misscalculated. You are not 25, but 12.5 % Greek. I saw a movie about king Leonidas and the battle of Thermopily on the History channel and am begining to envy you a bit...

Regards.

You right I have understood my mistake but later.

Yane Sandanski
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 16:05
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 17:39
One of the first songs that comes to my mind when I think of Balkan music is an old Ottoman ballad, Caje Sukarije (Beautiful Girl).

A lot of folk songs in the Balkans are more or less the same. They get translated into different languages and modified to suit different regions. Caje Sukarije is one of the only songs I'm aware of that is common throughout the Balkans while it has not been entirely changed lyrically.

Here is a sample I put together of three versions of the song from three different regions of the Balkans:

1. Instrumental - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. Lyrical - Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3. Roma (Gypsy) - Skopje, Macedonia
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 18:06
Among Bosniaks, the most beloved, cherished form of music is Sevdalinka.

Sevdalinka is a traditional genre of folk music originating from Bosnia and Herzegovina. In many cases, sevdalinka is called simply Sevdah..

Sevdalinka is the national music of Bosniaks, although it is popular across the former Yugoslavia, especially in Serbia and Montenegro and  Macedonia. Its roots reach back to the age of Ottoman Empire, but the actual composers of many sevdalinkas are unknown.

In musical sense, sevdalinka is charactericized by a slow or moderate tempo and rich harmony, leaving a melancholic feeling with the listener. Sevdalinka songs are very elaborate, emotionally charged and are traditionally sung with passion and fervor. The singer will often impose the rhythm and tempo of the song, both of which can vary throughout the song.

It is usually sung with a single male vocal, although female vocals are not uncommon. Usually, it is played by a small orchestra containing accordion (the most prominent), violin, nylon-string guitars and/or other string instruments (occasionally), flute or clarinet (occasionally), upright bass, snare drum, although in the past traditional instruments such as the saz were used as well.

In between the verses, an accordion or violin solo can almost always be heard. Its lyrics are ballads, usually devoted to falling in love or to unfortunate love -- the origin of the name is a Turkish word sevdah meaning "passion" or "lovesickness".

Here are two samples of Sevdalinka from Sarajevo that I've put together.

The first is by Amra Halebic. You can hear how it begins very slow and her voice controls the whole movement of the song. Then it becomes very fast, but doesn't become upbeat. Sevdalinka are always very passionate and usually very mournful.

The second is Himzo Polovina and Jakov Celebic. It has a more steady pace and the music has much more power in the beginning of the song, but it is still controlled by the vocalist and very passionate.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 21:31
The definitive BALKAN song!

BALKAN GIRL!

I'll bold what suits me...

I'm fantastic and romantic, always horny, never cruel
I'm your Balkan girl

I am sexy, i am smart, I could always break your heart
Find a blackmail for my mind, cathcing moments in my time
I'm not happy when I think, but I'm happy when I drink
I like to walk on heaven's side
I'm your wretch and I'm your bride

I'm your Balkan Balkan girl
Half a woman, half a fool
When you start me, I may bite
Like the dog defend his rights
I could die for stupid things
Something turns me to hard dreams
Too much brain to get insane
But we could have a special game

I love children when they sleep
Too much noise make me scream, make me nrvous, make me sad
I just want you in my bed

Desire kills me, come on, be my slave...

http://media.putfile.com/Balkan-Girl
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 21:44

Originally posted by Mila

BALKAN GIRL!

I'm your Balkan girl

Turkish March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Mozart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!1

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 21:46
^ Yeah, I know.

Us Balkan girls can degrade just about anything.

Why else would they put St. Petersburg so far away.

Edited by Mila
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 02:43
Now I fixed my links in the previous post of mine...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 03:50
Originally posted by poirot

Originally posted by Mila

BALKAN GIRL!

I'm your Balkan girl

Turkish March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Mozart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!1

That's not Balcan music dude.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>