Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout Genghis as Chinese hero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Genghis as Chinese hero
    Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:28

Mengtzu, if you're unsure about anything you've said or I've said just make an effort to check what's more correct. If some chinese person loves or hates CK that's his/her problem. What's unacceptable is that PRC national government is endorsing the idea that CK is chinese national hero. Imagine americans starting to claim that Napoleon was american national (not super) hero. I'm sure many americans love/hate Napoleon/Superman, but when it becomes a national issue it's pure politics.

PRC recognized only a part of Mongolia and mongols to be independent. Now suddenly inner mongolians are not mongol or what? They're pure pure chinese just like manchus?

And of course it's speculation, would've been fine if they just left it there. But they had to build some ugly pavillion, they had to put some woolen sock in it and claim it belonged to CK. They even got out of somewhere some "darkhad tribe" supposedly looking after the place, when the real darkhads live near lake Hubsugul. Why don't you just speculate some more and put some toe bones inside the sock and claim you found them together? That would complete the whole charade.

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:30
Why the heck is my post at the top of the thread?
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 18:11

Hey all,

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.  I wasn't a part of the discussion when it was heated, so allow me to put in my two cents now, albeit a little too late.

If Jesus (a Semite, a Jew, a Middle Easterner) can be celebrated by Europe (in fact, he has got to be the most celebrated individual of the world in all of known history,) I don't see why Genghis can't be celebrated by the Chinese.  As long as the Chinese don't claim that Genghis is exclusively Chinese, what's wrong with that?  The Mongolians should be proud of the fact that a hero of their own is celebrated by someone else.

Sesame street logic: if we don't have enough, we share.  Well, we have enough, but more the merrier for everyone.

Peace,

Michael

9-29-2004

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:13
using that argument you have a point, indeed I practically worship Chinngis as a hero when Im not even Chinese or Mongol, its just that Jesus never conquered Europe and casued problems for its inhabitants, in fact it gave them the chance at a unifying factor.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:33

Hey Tobodai,

The difference between Jesus and Genghis in what you suggested doesn't make one less capable of cross-cultural celebration than the other.  By the way, Jesus might not have personally caused problems in Europe and elsewhere, but his followers, well, I don't think I have to elaborate.

Peace,

Michael

9-29-2004

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 01:23
differnce here is no one is gonna make Jesus a national hero...
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 01:44

Hey Gubuk,

It's like saying whether Ki Ja (regardless if he's real; it's his cultural significance that matters) should be a national hero for Chinese or Korea.  I know there are ways to say either and ways to justify either, but upon what do we draw the line?  It's hard to tell how many Chinese have Mongolian lineage, so can they celebrate Genghis?  This comes back again to the impossibility of defining "nation."  I'm against PRC trying to change history and being a bully, but I can't blame the Chinese if they clearly recognize Genghis as Mongolian, but due to his impact on Chinese society, honor him as a part of their history.  If they are not distorting historical facts, how can we blame them?  If they are not claiming exclusivity, what's wrong with that?  I remember an Orthodox Jew said that the Christians practically commited theft by making the Tanakh (the Old Testament of Christians) their own Scriptures, but that's just excessive criticism.  As long as they credit the Israelites for their part in the Christian heritage, we can't oblige them to follow some kind of imagined copyrights.  In the same way Chinese cannot say that Koreans cannot claim Han scripts and Confucianism as their own, as long as they acknowledge where they come from.

Peace,

Michael

9-29-2004

Edited by MengTzu
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 10:05

Chinese as a nation is one thing and mongolians as a nation is another. I got no problem chinese people personally respecting CK, but turning him into an officially celebrated chinese national hero is unacceptable. It's a bad joke.

That would imply that chinese and mongolians are in fact one nation, a point that PRC seems to be trying to make. This is wrong and is pure chauvinistic propaganda. History has nothing to do with this.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 10:23
IMO Ghengis is neither a Chines nor a Mongol hero. Not because of his nationality, but because a mass murderer is no hero.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:00

Hey Chono,

I beg to differ.  I'm no friend of Chinese expansionism, and I'm sympathetic with those who want to have independence from it.  But I resist the urge of tying every cultural claim of China back to this issue.  If Koreans claim that Confucianism is a part of their national heritage -- insofar as it has been made "their own," -- what's wrong with that?  Buddhism and Christianity are the common national -- yes, national -- heritage of various countries.  Some countries in older times were really called "Christian nations."  If religions and ideologies can be shared in such a way, why not cultural heroes.  As long as the Chinese 1) don't claim exclusive right to celebrate CK, 2) don't claim that CK shows that Mongolia and China are one nation, 3) credit Mongolia as being where CK is from, then what is wrong with that?

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 00:44

Confucianism is not our national heritage... we don't want shameful sexist classcist philsophies to be labled as "ours"! China can take its' shame back! (j/k lol)  

In my opinion Christians should only refer to Old Testament to understand the new. It is a shameful book encouraging narrow-mindedness, cruelty, racism and even fascism. I condemn great parts of it.

Note that although Europe called itself Christian it never claimed that Christ was a "European hero". Also note that the term "Christian" was never really limited to those of Europe, as they knew about the existance of Ethiopean Christians.

The wording "Chinese hero" makes Genghis Khan sound like a hero who is Chinese, or who is exclusively worshiped by the Chinese. If it is called Hero of the Chinese then it is more acceptable.

But anyway, I hate Genghis Khan - he is a mass-murderer and is no more of a hero than Attila the Hun and Timur the Lame,

Edited by Evildoer
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 04:19

Those who say CK was mass murderer should go and read "CK and the making of modern world" a new book written by some american. If he were a mass murderer half of Asia wouldn't be worshipping him right? Don't try to sparkle here with your brainwashedness.

Meng-tzu, there's nothing cultural about CK's heritage in China, in fact there's no heritage at all from him in China. All the claims are politically motivated. PRC's trying to digest inner Mongolia, it's one of the strategies of doing that.

1. They claim exclusive right to celebrate CK as a chinese national hero. 2. They very well DO claim that mongols are in fact chinese. Ever heard of five fingers of one hand and other shining examples chinese chauvinism? 3. They credit Ordos being where he was buried, so he was a chinese national hero, he's buried in PRC, so where should his birthplace be according to their logic? We mongols have been dealing with chinese for quite a long time and can smell bad deals from a mile, figuratively speaking

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 04:40
Originally posted by Evildoer

Confucianism is not our national heritage... we don't want shameful sexist classcist philsophies to be labled as "ours"! China can take its' shame back! (j/k lol)  

Kinda sucks that with so many old ideologies having sexist elements, Confucianism is always singled out.  oh booo.  My point is that there are Koreans who consider Confucianism a part of their heritage.  (If this example doesn't work for you, try dragon boat.  Different example, same argument.)

In my opinion Christians should only refer to Old Testament to understand the new. It is a shameful book encouraging narrow-mindedness, cruelty, racism and even fascism. I condemn great parts of it.

That's really irrelevant, you know.

Note that although Europe called itself Christian it never claimed that Christ was a "European hero". Also note that the term "Christian" was never really limited to those of Europe, as they knew about the existance of Ethiopean Christians.

You're missing the point at issue.  Regardless whether the object is a person, a concept, a religion, etc, the point here is: can we claim something of another nation as our own national heritage?

The wording "Chinese hero" makes Genghis Khan sound like a hero who is Chinese, or who is exclusively worshiped by the Chinese. If it is called Hero of the Chinese then it is more acceptable.

There you go.  A little of semantics can surprisingly make a lot of people happy or mad.  Honestly, insistence of such distinction is so petty -- a sign that we East Asians have gone down that path of "identity vacuum" much too long.

But anyway, I hate Genghis Khan - he is a mass-murderer and is no more of a hero than Attila the Hun and Timur the Lame,

Okay, but once again irrelevant =)

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 04:48

Meng-tzu, there's nothing cultural about CK's heritage in China, in fact there's no heritage at all from him in China. All the claims are politically motivated. PRC's trying to digest inner Mongolia, it's one of the strategies of doing that.

This is so untrue that I cannot even begin to tell you how untrue it is.  What makes something a cultural icon can have absolutely nothing to do with historical facts.  Superman is a cultural icon, but he doesn't exist.  Spiderman didn't kill Green Goblin, but every American fan is sure that he did.  You see my point?  For someone or something to be celebrated by a culture or a nation doesn't mean that someone or something has to have factually been linked to that culture or nation.  All that said CK did play a part in Chinese as well as many other national history -- may be calling him a national nemesis would satisfy you?  Come on, you know how petty your arguments are?

1. They claim exclusive right to celebrate CK as a chinese national hero. 2. They very well DO claim that mongols are in fact chinese. Ever heard of five fingers of one hand and other shining examples chinese chauvinism? 3. They credit Ordos being where he was buried, so he was a chinese national hero, he's buried in PRC, so where should his birthplace be according to their logic? We mongols have been dealing with chinese for quite a long time and can smell bad deals from a mile, figuratively speaking

Well, I don't think I have introduced myself.  I'm not a mainlander.  I fled the Commie government before 1997 takeover of HK.  I'm a Chinese American, loyal citizen of the USA.  You're complaining to the wrong guy about these things.  What I meant was that there are conditions (I listed 3) that would make sharing national heroes an acceptable thing.  If what you said about Mainland is true (which I'm not gonna take for granted.  I've realized that love or hatred for mainland spawns grossly inaccurate accessments,) then no, what they do doesn't satisfy the conditions I've stated, and so just one more reason for me to be glad that I'm not nationalistic.  I know I'm sounding like an arrogant b*tch, but I do pity nationalistic people.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 12:44

" They very well DO claim that mongols are in fact chinese. Ever heard of five fingers of one hand and other shining examples chinese chauvinism? "

Sorry but its again of pure ignorance, China very well recognized the independence of Mongolia more than half a century ago, and its not claiming anything of the sort.

" They credit Ordos being where he was buried, so he was a chinese national hero, he's buried in PRC, so where should his birthplace be according to their logic? We mongols have been dealing with chinese for quite a long time and can smell bad deals from a mile, figuratively speaking "

Sorry, but the correct word is speculate. All things about ordos are just done from historical research and analysis, and they never claimed with certainty that Ck is in fact buried there.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 17:10
i did not say he did not raze cities and stuff, but ti has been prooven that most damage in western asia has in fact been created by Timur...and most tribes that were said to have been exterminated by him did still exist in later times, liek Tanguts during Ming time. it is also unlikely that so much carnage could ahve been carried out by so few men, CVhinggis also had to rely on captured soldiers from subdued tribes to make up for own losses and gather enough men to attack hge neighbours like Jin and kwarazm-Shah empires.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:57
It seems that for all these arguements about race, heroes, taiwan, Koguryo, and other East ASian crap, there seems to be a fine line that makes someone justified or in a sense "evil"  I think that the main problem in these kind of discussion is much misunderstanding.  The basics of the fine line have to be established before any real discussion can take place...
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 20:19

"PRC recognized only a part of Mongolia and mongols to be independent. Now suddenly inner mongolians are not mongol or what? They're pure pure chinese just like manchus?"

Neverthless, it still mean that they did not use the exclusive right for claiming genghis. Inner mongolians are still mongols, its their ethnicity, they are mongol chinese, that is except for those that don't like to be called such.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 23:28

Hey Gubuk,

I actually beg to differ.  I doubt any such line can be drawn on any debate forum.  Nationalism is a religion.  There is no compromise.  For a nationalist, his nation is sacred.  The only solution is for them to become less nationalistic.

Peace,

Michael

10-4-2004

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:41

You can claim something as your national heritige, unless you intend to monopolize it. If China is calling the Khan their hero without forgetting the fact that he is indeed a Mongol, and dosn't use it to colonize Mongolia it is approperiate.

(Although I would snicker at those who worship the one who murdered ten thousands of their countrymen.)

I have never thought of Confucianism as a "national heritige".  I am a Christian and I would laugh in the face of anyone who claims Christianity as a "national heritige".

What do you mean by dragon boat? Turtle Ship?

"Petty" semnatics are not an East Asian thing at all... if I had lived in Korea instad of Canada I wouldn't care for such things. Its the Westerners who always want to be so exact with words.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>