Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is this Attilas capital?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is this Attilas capital?
    Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 02:33

Official compilation report of investigations at Cornesti circa 1979-1993 in Romanian. bolded section says that they recognize 3 wall circuits for an area of 580ha and what do they say it is? only sort of an idea?? noticed the fourth wall maybe?? did they note its over top of the roman wall?

==================================================

Cornesti (comuna Ortisoara, judetul Timis)

1. Vestigii preistorice.

a) ntr-o cariera de nisip de la marginea satului s-au descoperit oase de mamut". Astfel de fosile s-au descoperit si mai trziu de secolul XIX.

b) Punctul Jadani-Jugosloveni.

Statiunea neolitica din acest punct se afla la marginea vestica a localitatii, de o parte si de alta a drumului unde s-au asezat refugiatii veniti din Iugoslavia n perioada interbelica. Situl a fost locuit n vremea culturii Bucovat, Vinca C si Tiszapolgr.

Tot aici se semnaleaza si materiale ceramice Cotofeni.

c) Punctul Ferma Reiter.

Materialele arheologice de aici apartin culturii Vinca, faza C.

d) Punctul Pusta sau Rtu cu Peri.

Aici s-a semnalat ceramica apartinnd culturii Vatina.

e) Se mentioneaza descoperirea, n hotarul satului (Jadani), a unui depozit format din opt bratari de aur dintre care sase din placa si doua din srma rasucita, datat n seria Cincu-Suseni (Br D-Ha A1).

f) Punctul Valea Lacului.

La vest de acest punct si de Dealul Cornet s-au descoperit, la aratura, fragmente ceramice.

g) La Jadani s-a descoperit un depozit de bronzuri din seria Cincu-Suseni (Ha A1).

2. Situri arheologice cu stratigrafie complexa.

a) Punctul Dealul Cornet.

n acest punct se afla o mare asezare fortificata, numita de localnici si Iarc, de foarte mari dimensiuni cu mai multe niveluri de folosire n epoca bronzului si cea a fierului. Fortificatia are mai multe valuri (trei incinte concentrice, dupa unii autori patru) intersectate de valea Pistrui (Pistruia), spre sud, care la est de sat si schimba numele n Valea Luciului, Lacului sau Vna Nerat. Spre nord, fortificatia este marginita de Valea Caraniului. Suprafata III si cea mai mare are 578 ha.

[In this point found out a big placement fortificata, named by natives Iarc, of very big size with many layers of use in the age of the bronze and iron. Fortificatia has many walls ( three concentric enclosures, some authors say four)  intersected by Pistrui( Pistruia) Valley, meridionally, I carry on the east of village si change the name in Valley Luciului, Lacului or Vna Nerat. Northwards, fortificatia is bordered by Caraniului Valley. The surface III and eldest has 578hectares. ]

ntre alte materiale arheologice s-a descoperit si o dalta de cupru, dar si materiale ceramice reprezentnd epoca de trecere de la cultura Tiszapolgr la Bodrogkeresztr.

Materialele arheologice de epoca bronzului de aici se ncadreaza n partea timpurie si mijlocie a perioadei.

Tot aici s-au descoperit materiale ceramice care pot duce datarea fortificatiei pna la sfrsitul epocii bronzului si, poate, chiar n perioada hallstattiana.

Dintr-o descoperire ntmplatoare provine un topor de fier care poate fi ncadrat n Hallstatt.

n incinta s-au descoperit si fragmente ceramice dacice.

Unii cercetatori considera fortificatia un ring avar.

Ortansa Radu aminteste aici si ceramica medievala trzie.

3. Vestigii dacice.

a) n hotarul localitatii sunt amintite fragmente ceramice dacice.

4. Vestigii daco-romane.

a) La N de localitate, n imediata apropiere a fortificatiei preistorice (Iarcurilor) se afla o asezare de secolele IV-V d.Chr.

5. Movile de pamnt.

a) Pe traseul exterior al fortificatiei de pamnt din punctul Dealul Cornet este semnalata o movila de pamnt, plasata la 1,1 km nord de sat, cu dimensiunile de 15 m diametru si 1,5-2 m naltime. Este posibil sa fie construita dupa terminarea ridicarii incintei deoarece se afla pe coama acesteia.

6. Descoperiri monetare.

a) La sfrsitul secolului XIX s-a descoperit trei denari, dintre care doi imperiali si unul republican.

b) Cam tot n acelasi timp s-au descoperit doua monede de secolul XVII care pot face parte dintr-un tezaur.

c) Catre sfrsitul secolului XX s-a descoperit la Cornesti un tezaur monetar format din taleri austrieci de argint.

===============================

didn't i see tom here a minute ago?

Edited by Priscus
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 09:26

well today is the 6th month anniversary of my starting this quest [everywhere online] and i have not recieved anything saying "its this" or "here's the report on that" or "i read here that". some suggestions on cultures sure but this thing would be extraordinary for any culture mentioned.

either noone cares or noone can really find anything and thats strange.

anyway, i guess if i was going to bury attila at the bottom of a great river, i'd look to the maros at arad. how do you block a river? find a tight bend and channel the neck. in google earth you can see some intermediary coffers in the bend seemingly and some people can see some odd square outlines in the river bed of some size

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 21:34

i think if you look at all sources, only one calls it a large village and leaves it at that [the most questionable source of all possibly], all others immediately burst into descriptions of a vast city with great walls which is logical and its silly to think it was otherwise. this was a great man good or evil. he thought the gods chose him to rule the world. be real about the situation. a village? the boy had seen pareee remember. not defensible, right. maybe the outer city wall was smallish. maybe the inner city wall too, they didn't make it on the mercydorff map. but decidedly the palace wall was grand it states it right there but still not for defense like the walls of constantinople. the scale of the two cities necessitate a comparison to me and most likely to him. and a pallisade of pretty wood to boot.

here's my deal. i want it dug. i know its massive. how do you make it happen? present a line of thought that is logical maybe true but heavy on mystery then let voluntourism, the media, the fieldschool system and human nature take over. Attilas the key and maybe even the answer. we do not know but we cannot say not.  its not evil to say it is and pure logic dictates that theres a better chance that it is than not in my opinion and in the opinion of those not programmed by the man..

and whats with the where to dig stuff. you have questions? are you looking for the shiitehouses of the common man? a roman bathhouse? i can't help but suspect that it would take the time it took to drive across the field to find that. heck check out the necroplois if it is. a whole pack of huns would answer your question.

and tom do you have google earth? if so did the 3d tiltring at all affect your first impression from the flat overhead?

Edited by Priscus
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 21:04
Priscus,

You misunderstand me.   In Roman eyes the difference between a village and a town/city was that a town/city would be enclosed by defensive fortifications.  When they referred to Attilla's 'village' ther were not referring to size but to layout - viz no walls around it.  The would have been extraordinary to them, even the tented 'cities' of most steppe nomads were fortified.  The site looks fascinating, buut it doesn't look like a city.

The site in question, really should be dug, but the resources required are far more than any institue could muster (preliminary geophysics would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars even before you decide where to dig).
rgds.

Tom..
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 09:04
well what ever it is its criminal that it sits there screaming for some attention. how could it never have been looked at. its incomprehensible. 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 08:20
Originally posted by Priscus

now to me something that large, built where it is cries out for the simplest explanation. would not an earlier unknown culture with that much power be more improbable? my idea changes a couple of words in a paragraph, you want to write new chapters and edit all the others but that has many merits. is the bosnian pyramid fellow getting any support or press anymore. are the digs proceeding? i don't know myself.

You don't only have the Bosnian pyramid but you also have the Karanovo-Gumelnita (aka Varna) Empire of the Middle Chalcolithic, that was destroyed by the IE invasions. I'm sure we are yet to find stuff about that period. The early Kurgan remains are precisely more aboundant in Transylvania and nearby areas than in Thrace, considered so far the center of the Varnan state (which pre-dates Egypt and any sort of Aegean civilization except Troy). It is also known that the Tisza region could have got a monarchy in that same period of the late 3rd milennium BCE and it's replaced by a native (Danubian) culture of great importance (Baden-Pecel, with a extension simmilar to the Austro-Hungarian empire and able to keep the IEs at bay for a while) that nevertheless shows no big cities. Yet not everything about that period may be known (info on Baden culture)

The Timisoara region laid then at the border with the Kurgan (IE) culture of Cotofeni (presumably proto-Greeks in my opinion). It would have been a strategic position to defend if these IEs were still agressive. Also, after Baden, in the Early and Middle Bronze Age, Vucedol culture (possibly hybrid IE-Danubian, maybe the last Danubian stronghold) still controlled all the Panonnian basin, with its apparent capital at Vucedol, Eastern Slavonia, Croatia, not far away from this finding.

Vucedol Culture (source)

Vucedol site (same source)

In the Iron Age also, we have several peoples that were pretty strong in that region: Scythians, Illyrians, Celts, Dacians... I don't think it would belong to them but you never know.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 07:21

now to me something that large, built where it is cries out for the simplest explanation. would not an earlier unknown culture with that much power be more improbable? my idea changes a couple of words in a paragraph, you want to write new chapters and edit all the others but that has many merits. is the bosnian pyramid fellow getting any support or press anymore. are the digs proceeding? i don't know myself.

Edited by Priscus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 05:58
I'd love to, specially because I think that it's not Atilla's city but some other thing, probably from an earlier period. But I just don't have the money. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 22:48

i've now shaken my head 11 times.

you seem to be able to get away with saying lots that means nothing and nothing that means lots so that limits you to only a few possble professions/states of being. politician, ........., lawyer, teenager, ex wife. [these are the only 4 i don'tcare about offending en masse]

no matter what size youre prone to thinking attilas army was, their camp was always more that a village. i just can't see attila hanging out with 100 of his buddies which is what a village is [oh and there must be one welsh blonde gay].  30,000 riders would need a good size space, services, structure [a city] and even you must admit the literature says hundreds of thousands.

i keep imagining what would go through eminent minds if it were true. the little holes they'd be digging would be to crawl in. i think you do sometimes tom so youre either eminent [r/i],15 or a politcian. youre not my exwife even though you aggravate me sorta like her and i haven't gotten a bill for our conversations so youre not a lawyer.

tell me why you can discount jordanes.  gibbons is just for fun but i would like to hear your reason for the former. you are saying you realize that jordanes and the silly canadian translation were based on the same document and thats what they understood of it 100years after written with other then extant sources [jordanes] and what they got out of 1 fragment of 1 source [supposedly] 1500 years latter?

but lets stop beating around the bush. lets say you had the funding for a season, is there anyone reading this that has the creds and interest to dig? the license app is online.  you'd probably have a camera up your arse 24/7 and responsibility to run it as a fieldschool [maybe the largest ever]. making it happen would depend on the creds of course and since i had a big mouth, someone might be eyeing the choice bits of it, who really knows.

this isn't the place for this but lets see.

Edited by Priscus
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 20:18

can we all tentatively agree that there is a rather large city with several concentric circuits of contiguous pallisades, that isn't named on a map anything but atle[attila], appears to have a supersized hun town plan [outer city, inner city and palace city with inner sanctum..see tongwan], fits the descriptions a few prominent authors and lies exactly where it should strategically and according to the clues.

No the repeated references to it as a 'village' by Roman visitors specificaly means that there were no fortifications (this being the legal difference between the two in the Empire).

And the evidence shown isn't indicative of a "rather large city". ???

That said, it is a good location. 
rgds.

Tom..
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 10:50

my theory of the journey.

when they crossed the danube it was just west of the iron gates. there is a small range of pleasant hills in the plain. Attila was there having a thermal bath getting ready for his wedding night.

he tookthe easy route north and sent the romans on a round about route so they'd have no real idea where the city was and give him time to celebrate but ultimately they all say the the destination was north of where they started.

he had the eastern romans and the western romans coming to dinner at the same time and was too smart to show them both exactly where he lived. in gibbon it states that the romans thought they were being played with, crossing the same river many times but under a different name. the tisza is such the you can cross it thinking you are  traveling east when you are traveling west, north when south etc, that is of course before the compass.

i think bledas wifes village was probably near sanandrea [big swamp may ruins] which is very near the main road that would have led from the easy crossing at timisoara which attila took, to the capital city.

do you see the large field of [pitgraves?] i've read that this necroplois would have been subdivided in status areas. the common grave would be rectangular with a round cap [not kurgan] of stones as small as 6 feet

Edited by Priscus
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 09:45
can we all tentatively agree that there is a rather large city with several concentric circuits of contiguous pallisades, that isn't named on a map anything but atle[attila], appears to have a supersized hun town plan [outer city, inner city and palace city with inner sanctum..see tongwan], fits the descriptions a few prominent authors and lies exactly where it should strategically and according to the clues.

Edited by Priscus
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 09:31

tom is your heraldic title duke of hardnut

from priscus sort of...===========Having waited for some time until Attila advanced in front of us, we proceeded, and having crossed some rivers we arrived at a large village, where Attila's house was said to be more splendid than his residences in other places. It was made of polished boards, and surrounded with a wooden enclosure, designed, not for protection, but for appearance.

from gibbon===========In its origin it could be no more than an accidental camp, which, by the long and frequent residence of Attila, had insensibly swelled into a huge village, for the reception of his court, of the troops who followed his person, and of the various multitude of idle or industrious slaves and retainers. The baths, constructed by Onegesius, were the only edifice of stone; the materials had been transported from Pannonia; and since the adjacent country was destitute even of large timber, it may be presumed that the meaner habitations of the royal village consisted of straw, of mud, or of canvas. The wooden houses of the more illustrious Huns were built and adorned with rude magnificence, according to the rank, the fortune, or the taste of the proprietors. They seem to have been distributed with some degree of order and symmetry; and each spot became more honourable as it approached the person of the sovereign. The palace of Attila, which surpassed all other houses in his dominions, was built entirely of wood, and covered an ample space of ground. The outward enclosure was a lofty wall, or palisade, of smooth square timber, intersected with high towers, but intended rather for ornament than defence. This wall, which seems to have encircled the declivity of a hill, comprehended a great variety of wooden edifices, adapted to the uses of royalty. A separate house was assigned to each of the numerous wives of Attila [300?]; and, instead of the rigid and illiberal confinement imposed by Asiatic jealousy, they politely admitted the Roman ambassadors to their presence, their table, and even to the freedom of an innocent embrace.

from jordanes============During this peace Attila was lord over all the Huns and almost the sole earthly ruler of all the tribes of Scythia; a man marvellous for his glorious fame among all nations. The historian Priscus, who was sent to him on an embassy by the younger Theodosius, says this among other things: "Crossing mighty rivers--namely, the Tisia and Tibisia and Dricca--we came to the place where long ago Vidigoia, bravest of the Goths, perished by the guile of the Sarmatians. At no great distance from that place we arrived at the village where King Attila was dwelling,--a village, I say, like a great city, in which we found wooden walls made of smooth-shining boards, whose joints so counterfeited solidity that the union of the boards could scarcely be distinguished by close scrutiny. There you might see dining halls of large extent and porticoes planned with great beauty, while the courtyard was bounded by so vast a circuit that its very size showed it was the royal palace." This was the abode of Attila, the king of all the barbarian world; and he preferred this as a dwelling to the cities he captured.

in the tales of the hungarian steppe============= bledas messengers were stunned when they saw attilas city.

i think when priscus said not built for defense, he was right. in 448ad, a large wood pallisade would not have defended anything from anything. constantinople was defended with huge stone walls, towers bastions etc etc. as were any roman city that attila conquered.

and yes please, let me borrow your archaeolgy diploma and i'll go and dig it. if i were you all i'd dig it. there aren't many things to find out there which could make you rich and famous anymore.

Edited by Priscus
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 07:35

i agree if you are looking at it only as if it were iron age and nothing else and if it were iron age, i agree that you would have to assume that the inner structure was the main feature as the main feature would be judged maybe, only maybe because of the spacing of the wall features. iron age forts usually have close lines of walls therefore they are often judged by the liveable area. i think in this instance you'd have a hard time selling your point for a $c

i'd have a hard time equating stonehenge, complex or not to a city not that i'm sure you can't, but my brain isn't so limber anymore.

lets move ahead in time.  the imperial city of rome is not judged by anything but its wall not any of the hills. constantinople is not judged even by the wall of severus but by the wall of theo. would you ever say london is only as big as the tower castle. no its not iron age.

would the pallisade around attilas palace if this were the case be judged to be the extent of the city? no its a building in a city the total extent of which is marked by a boundry wall.

if it is iron age and your bent on judging it by the main feature, then lets call it the largest iron age in fort in europe and i get to name it "toms folly". or you could prove its attila's capital, name it what you like and live for all time in the pages of a book under your full name. i'm not trying, i'm guardian of the truth, advocate to the scourge of god. 

Think it through...

There are a bunch of crop marks and earthworks. 
A historian has suggested that it might be the sight of Attila's capital (of which we have a description but don't know whare it was).

I've pointed out that the photo's and maps don't look like any ancient 'city' remains that I am familiar with.  I also pointed out (it may be that I could have worded it better) that many non city sites were very large.

nb Priscus described Attilla's capital as a village (ie no walls and not very big).  The wooden enclosures arount Attilla's and Onegesius' palaces are described as for show (so clearly not 1km diameter earthworks).

Here is a translation of Priscus' account.
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/texts/prisfr8 .html
rgds.

Tom..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 04:27
Dig it and you tell us. 

This speculation without serious archaeological field work will bring us nowhere.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 22:17

i agree if you are looking at it only as if it were iron age and nothing else and if it were iron age, i agree that you would have to assume that the inner structure was the main feature as the main feature would be judged maybe, only maybe because of the spacing of the wall features. iron age forts usually have close lines of walls therefore they are often judged by the liveable area. i think in this instance you'd have a hard time selling your point for a $c

i'd have a hard time equating stonehenge, complex or not to a city not that i'm sure you can't, but my brain isn't so limber anymore.

lets move ahead in time.  the imperial city of rome is not judged by anything but its wall not any of the hills. constantinople is not judged even by the wall of severus but by the wall of theo. would you ever say london is only as big as the tower castle. no its not iron age.

would the pallisade around attilas palace if this were the case be judged to be the extent of the city? no its a building in a city the total extent of which is marked by a boundry wall.

if it is iron age and your bent on judging it by the main feature, then lets call it the largest iron age in fort in europe and i get to name it "toms folly". or you could prove its attila's capital, name it what you like and live for all time in the pages of a book under your full name. i'm not trying, i'm guardian of the truth, advocate to the scourge of god. 

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 20:30

tom the city in google in 3.5miles x 2.5miles or 6kmx4km and when i pump the dimensions in feet into the acreage equation i get over 5600 and i took off some due to the odd shape.

http://216.109.132.28/test.jpg

http://216.109.132.28/test1.jpg

i know its quite unbelievable, i gave my head 10 shakes. it must be a known site but after weeks and weeks, i have nothing but a list of what it isn't. the avar capital ring was supposedly one in the same as attilas capital and the site seems to show 2 distinct periods of occupation and growth.

i wouldn't pursue  something the size of maiden castle. in that strip of romanian google there are 10 forts the size of maiden castle and 2 [excluding the two of the 5000acre variety] that are twice as big but could easily be medieval but thats doubtful as they aren't listed.

When measuring these things you look at the area enclosed by the main feature,  measured this way your feature is about twice the size of Maiden Castle.  As a comparison the whole thing (6x4km) is much smaller than the Stonehenge complex ( a 90m diamiter circle part of a large comples covering around 20km by 2km).

Overlapping features from different periods can also give an impression of a larger more complex site.

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 15:19
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 14:59
The circles could be (a guess) those wooden temples of the Neolithic period of which many have been unearthed recently in Germany and sold as "the oldest civilization", when all the context is merely rural. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 13:18

i have a big monitor so features present themselves well.

some of the links don't land well i must say but most are perfect circles, one is a fort on a spur with ditch lines? like maiden castle and the in roman item look for the parallel row of columns and focus out. in google earth the features of the roman item jump out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>