Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Dowager Empress Cixi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dowager Empress Cixi
    Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 19:19
  Was Cixi a good ruler?  Is she responsible for the collaspe of the Chinese Empire?

Edited by Ottoman Emperor
God Bless You
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 19:37
She was a horrible ruler.  She was totally clueless to what China needed.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 20:39
She was a totally selfish *****. Some authors such as Seagraves claim she was an innocent old lady who was just a pawn in the hands of palace intriguers. The facts say otherwise. She went from small-time country girl to Qing Empress, China under most of her rule failed to have a strong Emperor, increasingly found itself unable to meet the challenge of the West. She was a greedy, cruel, intriguer. She was incapable of giving China the leadership it needed, and unwilling to allow someone to rule who could.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 20:42

She built a massive garden using money that was supposed to go into the modernization of the Chinese navy. If she had actually sticked with the plan, the Qing dynasty might not have come to such a drastic ending. But at least modern China is benefiting from the garden because of tourism . She's also wayyy too self-centered. Everything revolved around herself, not her country, and thus went the imperial treasury.

I do have to give her the credit that she may not be that "evil". There is a branch that says she's more of a spineless puppet manipulated by the scholarly gentry.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 02:50

The Qing Dynasty would not have survived the Taiping Rebellion and the aftereffects of the Opium Wars without the scholarly gentry, led by prominent leaders such as Zeng Guofan, Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang, and Zhang Zhidong.

Zeng Guofan

Zeng Guofan (1811XX1872) engineered the demise of the Taiping Rebellions, through the organization of his militia, the Hunan Army.  After supressing the Taiping Rebellion, Zeng Guofan took the first step to help modernize the Qing Army, and his Hunam Army(and its subordinate fleet) became the cornerstone of the new Qing military. 

Sidenote: Zeng was known for his cunningness, his Machiavellian cruelty toward political enemies, and above all, his frugality.  A reputed Confucian, Zeng refused to profit from the loot gathered by his army.

Zuo Zongtang 

Zuo Zongtang (1812-1885) , and his Chu Army, were supplementary in helping Zeng Guofan's Hunan Army to supress the Taiping Rebellions.  After supressing the Taiping Rebellions, he was posted in Yili/Xinjiang/East Turkestan, where he was instrumental in supressing Muslim rebellions and holding off Russian aggression in the region.

Sidenote: Zeng Guofan and Zuo Zongtang were allies on major issues, but Zuo Zongtang's fierce temper did not mesh well with Zeng's cunning and cold demeanor.

Li Hongzhang

Li Hongzhang (1823-1901) was the prized pupil of Zeng Guofan, and his Huai Army, modeled from Zeng's Hunan Army, also helped to end the Taiping Rebellions, and was mainly responsible for crushing the Nian rebels in Northern China.  His greatest accomplishment, however, was his effort to modernize the Qing military.  Following the footsteps of his tutor Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang pushed throught efforts to build armament factories, machine shops, and engineered the Beyang Fleet (ships purchased from Britain), which, ironically, was the one of the top fleets in the world.  Cixi's reluctance to provide adequate funding for the fleet led, to a great extent, to its defeat at the hands of the Japanese during the Sino-Japanese War of 1894.  Li Hongzhang's legacy was blemished in the eyes of his countrymen, mainly because the Qing government delegated him to sign treaties that ceded land to Japan and other foreign powers. 

Sidenote: Unlike Zeng Guofan and Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang was not reputed as a frugal man.  Li was known to profit from various deals with foreign companies, and showed no remorse at enriching his pockets while trying to enrich the Qing Empire at the same time.

Another sidenote: Like his tutor Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang was very Machiavellian.  His slaughter of thousands of prisoners after the capture of Suzhou from the Taiping forces led to a major dispute with British general Charles Gordon.  The two men could not see eye to eye after this incident, and Gordon publically protested against Li's action, but to no avail.

Zhang Zhidong

Zhang Zhidong (1837-1909) did not share the military legacy of the previous three scholar-generals, but he continued their efforts to modernize the Qing military and state.  As the Viceroy of Hunan and Hubei, Zhang Zhitong supported various modernizing enterprises in Southern China, and helped to stablize Southern China amidst the destability after the Boxer fiasco.  His quote "Western learning for use, Chinese learning for essence" is so famous that almost all modern Chinese history textbooks mention it.

Sidenote: Zhang Zhidong often criticized Li Hongzhang because of his corruption, and did not appreciate Li Hongzhang on a personal level. 

To a great extent, the legacy of these four men - Zeng Guofan, Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang, Zhang Zhidong - surpass that of CiXi a hundred fold.

These are my own notes on the historical figures, and have no association with Wikipedia.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:19
Originally posted by poirot

The Qing Dynasty would not have survived the Taiping Rebellion and the aftereffects of the Opium Wars without the scholarly gentry, led by prominent leaders such as Zeng Guofan, Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang, and Zhang Zhidong.

Zeng Guofan

Zeng Guofan engineered the demise of the Taiping Rebellions, through the organization of his militia, the Hunan Army.  After supressing the Taiping Rebellion, Zeng Guofan took the first step to help modernize the Qing Army, and his Hunam Army(and its subordinate fleet) became the cornerstone of the new Qing military. 

Sidenote: Zeng was known for his cunningness, his Machiavellian cruelty toward political enemies, and above all, his frugality.  A reputed Confucian, Zeng refused to profit from the loot gathered by his army.

Zuo Zongtang 

Zuo Zongtang, and his Chu Army, were supplementary in helping Zeng Guofan's Hunan Army to supress the Taiping Rebellions.  After supressing the Taiping Rebellions, he was posted in Yili/Xinjiang/East Turkestan, where he was instrumental in supressing Muslim rebellions and holding off Russian aggression in the region.

Sidenote: Zeng Guofan and Zuo Zongtang were allies on major issues, but Zuo Zongtang's fierce temper did not mesh well with Zeng's cunning and cold demeanor.

Li Hongzhang

Li Hongzhang was the prized pupil of Zeng Guofan, and his Huai Army, modeled from Zeng's Hunan Army, also helped to end the Taiping Rebellions, and was mainly responsible for crushing the Nian rebels in Northern China.  His greatest accomplishment, however, was his effort to modernize the Qing military.  Following the footsteps of his tutor Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang pushed throught efforts to build armament factories, machine shops, and engineered the Beyang Fleet (ships purchased from Britain), which, ironically, was the one of the top fleets in the world.  Cixi's reluctance to provide adequate funding for the fleet led, to a great extent, to its defeat at the hands of the Japanese during the Sino-Japanese War of 1894.  Li Hongzhang's legacy was blemished in the eyes of his countrymen, mainly because the Qing government delegated him to sign treaties that ceded land to Japan and other foreign powers. 

Sidenote: Unlike Zeng Guofan and Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang was not reputed as a frugal man.  Li was known to profit from various deals with foreign companies, and showed no remorse at enriching his pockets while trying to enrich the Qing Empire at the same time.

Another sidenote: Like his tutor Zeng Guofan, Li Hongzhang was very Machiavellian.  His slaughter of thousands of prisoners after the capture of Suzhou from the Taiping forces led to a major dispute with British general Charles Gordon.  The two men could not see eye to eye after this incident, and Gordon publically protested against Li's action, but to no avail.

Zhang Zhidong

Zhang Zhidong did not share the military legacy of the previous three scholar-generals, but he continued their efforts to modernize the Qing military and state.  As the Viceroy of Hunan and Hubei, Zhang Zhitong supported various modernizing enterprises in Southern China, and helped to stablize Southern China amidst the destability after the Boxer fiasco.  His quote "Western learning for use, Chinese learning for essence" is so famous that almost all modern Chinese history textbooks mention it.

Sidenote: Zhang Zhidong often criticized Li Hongzhang because of his corruption, and did not appreciate Li Hongzhang on a personal level. 

To a great extent, the legacy of these four men - Zeng Guofan, Zuo Zongtang, Li Hongzhang, Zhang Zhidong - surpass that of CiXi a hundred fold.

These are my own notes on the historical figures, and have no association with Wikipedia.

Poirot,

Wonderful information!  Excellent work.

Jiangwei

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 19:09
Thanks for all of that Poirot!

I just recently studied these dudes in class, and it was great for you to put a face to the name.

Thanks again!
Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 20:02
Originally posted by Ottoman Emperor

Was Cixi a good ruler?  Is she responsible for the collaspe of the Chinese Empire?
God Bless You
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 21:54
I am impressed by your replies.  Actually, these four men have been of interest to me a few years ago during my history studies.  If anybody is interested, I can post more information on them, or any other major historical figure during the late Qing Dynasty.  For reference, check out books by Professor Johnathan Spence (Yale) on modern China.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 12:51

Originally posted by poirot

I am impressed by your replies.  Actually, these four men have been of interest to me a few years ago during my history studies.  If anybody is interested, I can post more information on them, or any other major historical figure during the late Qing Dynasty.  For reference, check out books by Professor Johnathan Spence (Yale) on modern China.

Poirot,

Please post more info.  When you read history, it is so bland some times, but when you have a photo, it just makes it come to life.

Side note, I was reading the Romance of the Three Kingdoms when I was very young.  It was unbearable.  But when I played Romance of the Three Kingdoms I by Koei, I could not put the book down.

Jiangwei

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:45

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that must be a long time ago, now we are playing the tenth generation.  My favorite is the ninth generation.

When I first touched the Koei RTK games, I was actually quite suprised at the accuracy that the Koei developers put into the game.  It is by far the most accurate to the novel, and also happened to be, ironically, more accurate to history than the novel itself, because it included some historical characters that Luo Guanzhong neglected, such as Li Tong (Cao Cao's general, mostly worked behind the lines) and Chen Dao (Liu Bei's long time follower, ranked immediately behind Zhao Yun). 

I recommend Johnathan Spence's A Search for a Modern China.  It is an old book, so you can find it in any public library.  The book has a good deal of information on China's modernization process starting from the late Ming Dynasty, and coincidentally, has some great photos.

AAAAAAAAAA

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:51

Well, since everyone loves pictures, and a picture is worth 1000 words, I might as well post more pictures of these historical figures.

Here is a calligraphical work by Zeng Guofan

Here is a calligraphical work by Zuo Zongtang:

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:55

Here is a photo of Li Hongzhang with a foreign ambassador

Li Hongzhang was one of the only Qing bureaucrats who measured up in height to European ambassadors (he was around 1.80 cm, tall for a Qing official at the time!)

Here is a second picture of Zhang Zhidong. 

Sidenote, Richard Van Guylick, the Dutch author of the famous Judge Dee series, married one of Zhang Zhidong's granddaughters.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 03:31

The elder son of Zeng Guofan, Zeng Jize (1839X1890), was a reowned diplomat.  He served first as diplomat to Britain and France, and then as special embassary to Russia.  After the conflict between Russia and Zuo Zongtang's Qing troops in Yili, Zeng Jize was instrumental in obtaining a fair treaty with Russia, which kept Yili from Russian hands. 

Afterwards, Zeng Jize helped Li Hongzhang develop the Beiyang Fleet, and was responsible for purchasing the flagship of the fleet from Britain.  From 1884 to his death in 1890, Zeng Jize worked in the Naval Ministry, War Ministry, Treasury Ministry, Interior Ministry, and Justice Ministry, contributing to the modernization of the Qing state.

Sidenote, Zeng Jize composed the national anthem of the Qing Empire.

Zeng Jize, elder son of Zeng Guofan

AAAAAAAAAA

Post Reply Post Reply