Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Hats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourate Islamic hat?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [14.29%]
4 [19.05%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [14.29%]
2 [9.52%]
7 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic Hats
    Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 15:48

Hats have allows been important in civilisations, esp. in Islamic civilisations. So i would like to know more about this area, as well as any interesting information.

If there have been any that i have missed out please add an image.

My personal favourate is the Fes and the Shemagh!!!

<Takke/Topi skull cap

<Shemagh

<Sindh style

<Kashmiri

<Central Asian

<Also Cetral Asian

<Turkman

<Berber

<Fez

Also, just out of wondering. I recently heard that the Shemagh is red for those Arab nations that are republics (Jumhariya) and black for those from monarchy (Memlakatiya). (hope i got the Arabic translation correct) Is this true?

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 17:32

I like the shemagh aswell.

As for the color, i don't think it matters, here in the UAE which is a monarchy, alot of people wear the red shemagh.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 17:49

The Berber scarf rules!

I actually have a white topi though I don't use it so much.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 01:45

This "Afghani" Hat  is one of my favorite hats.  This type of hat is guaranteed to keep your head warm:

Along side that, there is also these other designs found in Afghanistan:

Karakoli  Hat as shown on Karzai

---

Other Hats

:

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 02:52
the red shemagh is popular in jordan. as for the black ones, there r two i think, one with larger "dots/shapes" (or watever) than the other. The larger ones is common among palestinians, like the one arafat used to wear

so that concept doesnt apply i guess.
Jordan=monarchy
palistinians=not monarchy.
so i guess its quite the opposite

Edited by Super Goat (^_^)
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 05:00
Originally posted by OSMANLI

<Fez

Isn't this red hat an Ottoman one?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 06:45

The Fez replaced the turban, as the national headgear in 1826 by the Ottoman sultan Mahmud 2. This move was due to the sultans westernisation reforms. However i think although iam not sure that the Turks initially got their Fez from Tunisia. Since then the Fez has been linked hand-in-hand in with the Turks. Although Mustafa Kemal banned the Fez in his so called hat revolution in 30/08/1925. I believe at present the fez is still used in Syria and many of the Muslim ex-Ottoman lands (maninly North Africa). Can be found in Turkey and North Cyprus but merely as a souvenier.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 07:29

Bakhtiari / Lori.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 07:32

The Fez replaced the turban, as the national headgear in 1826 by the Ottoman sultan Mahmud 2. This move was due to the sultans westernisation reforms. However i think although iam not sure that the Turks initially got their Fez from Tunisia. Since then the Fez has been linked hand-in-hand in with the Turks. Although Mustafa Kemal banned the Fez in his so called hat revolution in 30/08/1925. I believe at present the fez is still used in Syria and many of the Muslim ex-Ottoman lands (maninly North Africa). Can be found in Turkey and North Cyprus but merely as a souvenier.

They drew Fez in Marrocan weddings out here, never saw a Turkish did do that...
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 08:27

Although Mustafa Kemal banned the Fez in his so called hat revolution in 30/08/1925.

Hat revolution , who ever heard of a hat revolution. its kind of embarrising. but it was our "father" who made the changes so who are we to question it.

anyway i personally like the afghani hats, they are are pretty kool.

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 08:56

As for the Afghan Hat (known as the Pacol), I want to add there is the 'correct' way of wearing it, and the the incorrect way.

Correct:

Incorrect:

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 08:59

Here is also hats worn by kids:

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 09:41

Hats have allows been important in civilisations, esp. in Islamic civilisations. So i would like to know more about this area, as well as any interesting information.

If there have been any that i have missed out please add an image.

My personal favourate is the Fes and the Shemagh!!!

<Shemagh

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought hats are supposed to be worn on your head.  This is more like a scarf. 

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 09:43

To me the shemagh is unbeatable... so classy. All arabs should be proud to have one. I do.

I never wear mine like this because my employers would fire me .

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 15:06
[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought hats are supposed to be worn on your head.  This is more like a scarf. 

[/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry. I met to say Islamic headgear. And yes the Shemagh can be worn as both a head gear or a scarf. Its great!!!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 15:22
they are one of the necessities in a desert or dusty place.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 17:14

me like Fez

p.s that isn't me, just some dude I found on the net... lol

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 17:33

Lori or Bakhtiari hats have a long history, lori hats look like Sassanids one, maybe they came from there. But they are not islamic.

I like that Afghan hats. They look so nice.

I've seen many years ago a picture of an american soldire with an afghani hat, wearing rayban and cheawing chew gumes

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:42

In Malaysia...

most of the Muslim guys use songkok for pray or involve in any Islamic occasion.. Actually it is a traditional hat for Malays... Here is the picture of malay guys wearing full suit for Baju Melayu together with sampin and songkok..

*i just take this picture somewhere from the net

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 08:23

Is that a picture of Rayhan, the Islamic nasheed group?

I like those hats, they look very similar to the fez. Although these hats would be more acceptable in modern society, then the fez.

Are they also wearing traditional Malay costume, mashaallah looks very stylish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>