Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossibility of war with China.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possibility of war with China.
    Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 08:27

China opened up its economy in 1978.

So my point of view is that Since that time there has been a %0.01 chance for a war between China and The U.S

Let us remember what the American Secretary of State said in 1944:

''where goods can not cross borders,armies will.''

China has already made it clear that it wants to rise peacefully to the great power state.

As for the Taiwan Issue,The US. itself is against the independance of Taiwan.

When The Taiwanese president very mistakenly called for a refendum in order to demonstrate the Taiwanese poeople's view on the issue of independance,Bush made it clear that The U.S would never approve such a referandum.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 09:04
the US would win it out of brut force, it couldnt actaully take it over though, so no victory would be complete. However the PRC would also have some unknown cards up it sleeves and the US could lose some big assets and/or battles.

ive always thought such a conflict as being very likely. The compition for resources is gaining allot of momentum and the PRC is building up: not just to take tawain but also agaisnt any intervention..or in otherwards the US forces in Asia-Pacific. The PRC sees securing resources and trade routes (south china sea, straights of mallacca, etc) as a part of its defence, as would any power.

The US wants to mantain its influence from japan to the phillipines so almost locking china out of the pacific. I cant see the US wanting chinese destroyers or subs becoming a normality near Guam or even Hawaii. This chain of US positions are very imported for US, Japan, Tawain and Sth Korean security.

the PRC taking tawain out would basically open the door to the pacific and control Japans/korean trading routes to Asia. I think they will do it sooner or later.
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:20
Originally posted by Genghis

We wouldn't need them to lend us money if we quit trading with them.  The reason the Chinese buy our bonds is so that we will have Chinese money with which to buy their goods with out the need of them to open up their markets to the US and thus they can maintain an artificial balance of payments.  With no trade they wouldn't do that.  Stopping them from buying treasury bonds would be dangerous for their economy as well, the yuan would increase in value and their goods would become more expensive when American goods are looking cheaper.

It sounds like you would like a dollar that perpetually increases in value, that would be quite bad for this economy.  Many economists think a lowering of the value of the dollar would be good for the United States precisely because it would reduce our trade deficit.

If we do go to war with China that would kind of make the issue of our debt with them moot, all those billions would never get paid back and the Chinese would be screwed.

And of course they would retaliate to this "so-called blockade" but our "so-called navy" is more powerful than their "so-called navy" and their fleet would probably be sunk within a month of the arrival of significant naval forces in the region.

Genghis,

Long time no converse.

Allow me to add to your statement.  Keep in mind this is not a personal attack.  Just that the guys in the Asian Form is getting out of hand.  I just want to clarify that this is not a personal attack.

We do need China to lend us money.  The fact that they buy our tresuries, it lowers the interest rates (as I stated before).  The lowering of rates have inflated real estate prices.  Currently for the past four to five years, the economy has been running because of increase in real estate prices.  Take that away, you have a recession.  Think about it,  lower interest rates equates higher real estates prices, which propells more to renovate their homes (to take advantage of higher realestate prices) and also take advantage of lower rates (thanks to China), renovation involves hiring contractors (creates jobs and increases income).  Contractors need to buy lunch and gas (jobs and profits for restaurant & gas station owner)...etc... you get the picture.

Also, if the US decides not to honor China's holding of US treasuries, there will be such of flood of US treasuries into the market (flood meaning holders (including foreigners) selling our Treasuries) that our economy will enter a depression overnight.  The more worrying consequences is that Foreigners will be reluctant to buy US treasuries in the future.  Can you imagine the US economy without foreigners financing our lifestyle?  Americans are negative savers.  The reason why the US treasury market is the "gold standard" is that we have for a lack of a better term, we backup our IOU's.  No questions, no conditions.  Period.  Besides the Chinese will dump our Treasures before we can do anything about it anyway. 

Did you see when the Chinese let the Yuan float by 2% recently?  Before the float, the US ten year note rate was under 4%.  After the float, the rate skyrocketed to 4.4% in two weeks.   Now it is hovering around 4.5% to 4.7%.  Look what is starting to happen to the real estate market since my last post.  

Besides I think the Chinese are two steps ahead of the US.  They are already trying to drum up domestic demand and increase salaries of the middle and poor class.  They are pouring more money into the interior part of China.  That is why the ten year note's rate is increasing.  The Chinese are slowly unwinding their US treasuries position.  They are trying to create a consumer economy (like the US).  So when they do revalue or let it float, they will be in a position where they do not need to sell to the US.  In fact, they will buy from the S. Koreans, Japanese, and yes, even the US.  This will swing the balance of power (at least in the Far East decidely into China's camp).

Final note, lowering of the dollar will not bring jobs back to the US.  Any company (even a US company) will keep cost down.  Even if the dollar was hitting new lows, the manufacturing jobs will still reside overseas.  Most countries (China, India, Sri Lanka, etc....) salaries, rent, health benefits (there are none), capital cost are far cheaper than the US.  Basically, their fix cost are so cheap, that the US will have to revert back to the fifties in order to bring the jobs back "home".

By the way, Sri Lanka is the number one manufacturer of T-Shirts.  They just surpassed China about a couple of months ago.  That is evidence that even if China is not manufacturing it, somebody (outside of the US) will.  Today is Sri Lanka, next is Indonesia, Mongolia, India, Pakistan, Madageser, etc....

Jiangwei

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 16:49

You must be joking! China is not Iraq or Serbia or... some African country which can be bombed just like that! The only war which is possible is on the desk and nothing more!

2 reasons:

- China is a big, powerful country with nuclear weapons;

- This time you will be alone, because the whole Europe would say "NO"!

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 16:56
People go to war if they're somehow better off if they win. In this case, no one is better if even if he does "win." Modern large scale warfare isn't like how it was 50 years ago. This is a global economic age and power and public interest aren't solely in the hands of political leaders.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 17:36

What? China and US going at war?

Great! let us other watch it!

Ouch! I've just forgot it, if China and US really go to war, death is not too far from us. Well, there's always the Necronomicon!!!!

Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 18:11
how r they supposed to beat china if they cant even get a full grip of iraq.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 18:40
The show last night was informative and made sense but I am having difficulty getting the time to add to to thread. "China Threat" by Bill Gertz is a great read. I also heard him on talk radio host's show Michael Savage.
This thread is not at all meant to be anti Chinese because I have great respect for the people of China but no respect for their government. They still throw people in prison for their religious beliefs and ideology.
I am not a Christian but www.presecution.org speaks volumes about their government.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 21:33
Well i hope no one intrepeted my post as anti chinese, becuase i am not. I am argueing that the reasons to go to war are becoming stronger. And like eaglecap any percieved disrepect to the govn/PLA has nothing to do with the people or culture.

Imperator Invictus wrote:
" People go to war if they're somehow better off if they win. In this case, no one is better if even if he does "win.""

People dont always go to war on purely rational terms, infact most of the time including today it is emotions that drive war. If you statement is 100% correct then most wars in the last 50 years up until now wouldnt have occured, including Iraq today. They are fanned by fear, parionia and misconceptions, not just by some risk return anylsis.

As for gaining in a win, look at the Tawain situation:

What would the PRC gain in Tawain in return to such a high cost to invaded it? Rationally it could of just developed a free economic/trade zone and incorperate it economically (the real benefit)without needing to touch its independance. Yet it insists that it must incorperate the island and take control. So this is just as much  emotional issue as a rational one. The gains therefore are both strategic and pyschological.

The US gains no material benfit, but this is a line in the sand that demonstrates US strength and will. I cant see the US backing down on tawians defence. otherwise that whole defensive chain it has maintained since WW2 is completely compromised, and its pacific borders would be shared with a competitor.(threat). The gains therefore are both strategic and pyschological.

"This is a global economic age and power and public interest aren't solely in the hands of political leaders. "
It is nice to think economics with its cold dry logic will overcome such behavoiur, but i think at best, it complicates it and at worse can drive it.

Power is shifting like you said, but wars are being increasingly fought by poeple not just governments, so I cant see it as a stabalising factor. Lots of small, local and messy wars complimenting (albiet less frequent) largish set pieces seemes to be the trend.

Note:
Any war between the two would be a Asia-pacific war, It would be limited in geography and scope, that is no US troops would be seen in beijing nor could any large scale attack be done agianst US soil. It should be seen in the large picture context, as a redrawing of the line of influence between the two powers. Nor should forumers assume the US would be the aggressor.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 21:44
The U.S. has no public mentality for a war against China. I don't think you understand that war for the U.S. is not a matter of weapons. Its a matter of public opinion. Chinese influence in the U.S. population is huge. If the war in Iraq has caused so much outcry, there's no way a war in Asia would not send people rioting in Washington 24/7.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 21:51
Super Goat (^_^) quote:
" how r they supposed to beat china if they cant even get a full grip of iraq."

these are two different situations. The USA fights poorly when its faced with urban, guerilla style combat, not many large heavy forces do well here. Its hard fighting and technology can only help you so much, so the playing feild is alot more even. Talking to some aussie soldiers, generally US infantry are not that well trained either, that is compared to other western armies, but very well equiped. Infantry training would be more helpful in that situation.

What the US are good at, is large scale stuff.  Naval and air combat, thats where they are way ahead in size and technology. The PRC has studied this and im sure they have unconventional plans at getting at the US forces. But blue water combat, amphiboius assualts and air combat would be US dominated.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 22:40
" The U.S. has no public mentality for a war against China. I don't think you understand that war for the U.S. is not a matter of weapons. Its a matter of public opinion. Chinese influence in the U.S. population is huge."

I agree with what your saying, but that comes down to who is percieved as the aggressor. A large assault on tawain would be bloody and i cant see the public accepting such thing. The US has better control over its own public opinion via the media, nor would I underestimate this influence.

(I recomend reading Noam Chomsky  "Manufacturing Consent" for some examples)

"If the war in Iraq has caused so much outcry, there's no way a war in Asia would not send people rioting in Washington 24/7."
Iraq was not a real threat though, it was such a waste of time, yet it still happened. US public opinion lapped the whole "threat" thing so easy by the time it became apparent someone was fooled, it was to late.

It only proves that the US public opinion is out of step to the rest of the world. Pretty much everyone else opposed it at the start, but in the US it took how long before a public majority realised it was a bad thing?

The PRC can be made out as a crediable threat a whole lot easier than some M/E dictator.. PRC behavoiur though can either negate such fears or promote them.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 05:17
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

As for the Taiwan Issue,The US. itself is against the independance of Taiwan.

When The Taiwanese president very mistakenly called for a refendum in order to demonstrate the Taiwanese poeople's view on the issue of independance,Bush made it clear that The U.S would never approve such a referandum.

Correct, TheDiplomat again sees through the intricacies of diplomacy.  If Taiwan succeeds in gaining independence, the United States will not be able to play the tug of war game in the Taiwan Strait.   Keeping Taiwan in a no unification and no independence limbo is the best way for the U.S. to keep her influence in the area. 

Same principle goes for Korea.  Korean unification is hampered for years because both the United States and China have a stake in the peninsula, and unification between North and South Korea would mean that U.S. and Chinese influence would diminish.  South Koreans are already disagreeing with the U.S. and Japan over the North Korean dilemma, preferring a more concilitary tone as opposed to the harsher U.S. alternative.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 11:34
Well I think they will not go to war because cooperation    
in this case is better than competition. It's a    
mathematical fact. However there's allways the    
possibility that idiot Bush (or other american
president) or idiot Hu Jintao (idem) don't see    
this.    

In case of war neither of the countries could invade the    
other so none would win. But if USA couldn't beat
Vietnam    
and Korea and you think they can beat china you are very    
very wrong...    

Edited by jfmff
Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 18:25

the world should be aware how dangerous Chinese invaders  for the world, for humans today, how Chinese invaders  have expanded around the world, under the pretense how to created foundation for future expansion plans; in reality, the Chinese immigrants are  activists of the Chinese communist empires future expansion plan in all  countries. Therefore behind them there is the Chinese communist organization and shouldn't see them as normal immigrants.

i say our army should go to war with china.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by Forgotten

the world should be aware how dangerous Chinese invaders  for the world, for humans today, how Chinese invaders  have expanded around the world, under the pretense how to created foundation for future expansion plans; in reality, the Chinese immigrants are  activists of the Chinese communist empires future expansion plan in all  countries. Therefore behind them there is the Chinese communist organization and shouldn't see them as normal immigrants.

i say our army should go to war with china.

LoL what a load of crap.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 20:07
   If thats the case then its too late for war.
jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 06:26
Originally posted by Forgotten

the world should be aware <FONT face=Arial>how
dangerous Chinese invaders for the world, for
humanstoday, how Chinese invaders have expanded around
the world, under the pretense how to created foundation
for future expansion plans; in reality, the Chinese
immigrants are activists of the Chinese communist
empires future expansion plan in all countries.
Therefore behind them there is the Chinese communist
organization and shouldn't see them as normal
immigrants.

i say our army should go to war with
china.<!--mstheme-->

Well, I think you should consider reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 00:28
Forgotten, you cant be seroius or just dont have any idea about the chinese. The vast majority immigrate for the same reasons everyone else does; a better life, money and opportunity. Similar to others (Greeks and Jews for instance), they have been doing it for a very long time and are really successful at it. (which i think breeds resentment).

This has nothing to do with resource competition and the strategic realignment, which is the real source of tensions. And mind you this source of tension comes from both sides, not just one side. 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 01:59
jfmff wrote:
"
Well I think they will not go to war because cooperation    
in this case is better than competition. It's a    
mathematical fact."
Realpolitik is a fact too. Resources competetion has neva resulted in some 'sit down at the table and talk about sharing' moment. Everything is about advantage. As I stated above, there is also a pyschological back drop do it all, reflecting both sides veiw on security/power.

If such reasonable logic was the case; that would of been the PRC's apprach to Tawian all along, maybe a JV in the spratleys The USA would have solved any trade conflict with the EU and made up with Cuba by now.

This Rationale has always been lacking and hence why I think such an analysis to a potential conflict as also weak.

"In case of war neither of the countries could invade the    
other so none would win. But if USA couldn't beat
Vietnam   "
It couldnt invade Vietnam, they can and did pretty much destroy it. Remember PRC couldnt win a war in 1979 with vietnam either The performance of the PLA then was worse than that of the USA, and suffered heavier relative losses.

and Korea and you think they can beat china you are very    
very wrong...  "

Ok North Korea attcked the South and almost won due to the fact that this completely suprised a USA. The USA did very well in recovering from this, led a United nations army almost to the border of the PRC and had given the northern Koreans a hiding, then the PRC intervened (with a massive 850,000 soldiers). PRC losses were huge compared to the USA.

Had the PRC not intervened then the USA/United nations, would of won in Korea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>