Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossibility of war with China.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possibility of war with China.
    Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 15:08
I think this is a when and not if issue but I cannot see it happening until sometime after the Olympics in 2008. I hope it never happens but it is a big posibility that the U.S. will go to war with Red China over Taiwan and SE Asian dominance.

Thu 11.17 >>
Consultant Charles R. Smith will discuss the implications of recent Chinese espionage related to U.S. military secrets and the possibility of war with China.

find your local listing or for those out of the N. America listening range then check out their stream link.

www.coasttocoastam.com
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 16:06

The only war I see the US embarking on against China is an economical one. And so far we don't loook so good. If Bush keeps tooting his own horn then we already are losing the propoganda war too.

Bush to China - "Free nations are peaceful nations, free nations do not threaten their neighbors and free nations offer their citizens a hopeful vision of the future," Bush said. http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051116/pl_usatoday/bushur geschinatoallowmorefreedomlaudstaiwan

What a hypocrite!

China edging out United States for leadership role in APEC http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2005/11/17/news/20apac. txt

Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation now observes China, not the US, as the local economical leader. Though she shares a large debt owed to other Pacific Rim countries, China is in good hands with the positive trade through the US.

And if a war breaks out over China-Taiwan, are we ready to give up our lucrative labor relations American companies currently have with China? Float the dollars and see the windfall? Too risky. So we are left with tough talk and a smaller stick year by year. Of course when all else fails in diplomacy there is always a chance for war. Now who's that leader with poor diplomatic skills who has no hesitancy in using the military? Hmm!

Edited by Seko
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 20:39

Eaglecap:

Modern (and indeed pre-modern) states are always spying on one another.

Who knows what issues will arise between the U.S. and China in the future?

In 1900, it was not conceivable that the U.S. and Japan would clash over anything.  By 1919, most of the major naval units of the U.S. navy were transferred to the Pacific coast because of the perception that the most serious military threat to the U.S. was from Japan in the Pacific.  Turns out that was correct. 

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 20:50
There exists a possibility of war and then there also exists the desire for war. Of course any war is possible. I hope that we don't create one though. So far the news tonight on TV covered quite a bit on China. And it was mostly negative. Is this the ineveitable pre-hype or just one-sided journalism? Either way can't we do better about informing ourselves regarding China then the usual US public policy propganda stuff?

Edited by Seko
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 20:53

Originally posted by Seko

There exists a possibility of war and then there also exists the desire for war. Of course any war is possible. I hope that we don't create one though. So far the news tonight on TV covered quite a bit on China. And it was mostly negative. Is this the ineveitable pre-hype or just one-sided journalism? Either way can't we do better about informing ourselves regarding China then the usual US public policy propganda stuff.

There exists a great possibility for war just because China is trying to become more powerful in East Asia, that in and of itself makes the Chinese a threat to the United States.  In the future Chinese and American relations will inevitably decline, whether or not that leads to war is uncertain though.

Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:08

You know what Genghis? What you just said makes alot of sense. China is getting more powerful therefore it is our policy to diminish their power or eliminate them as a threat. If I were a general I would think the same way. That's very pragmatic and realistic. But it is still a choice about policy. (You could see this coming once I threw the but in there.) Our policy is such that all the public speak is a reason to go after them. No. We can't leave enough alone. We do business with 'em today and blow them up tomarrow. In the mean time we dehumanize them for the sake of our mission and care less about their lives. After all, how dare they compete with us on the international stage! Well let's not make this mistake or other's will remember how foul our policies are.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:13
A war with China would do more harm to the Chinese economy than to the American economy.  America could easily find substitutes from other developing countries and ration to keep prices and demand low.  China sells 21.1% of their exports to the USA (according to nationmaster.com) and exports represent over a quarter of their GDP.  Not to mention that almost all of their trade would dry up when US naval and air forces arrived in the area and blockaded their coast whilst American trade would continue virtually free from Chinese harrassment.
Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:20
How many billion$ are we in debt to China anyway? I assume that this so-called blockade works to perfection and they do not retaliate. They could retaliate with arms and with money. They could stop lending us money.  Our dollar would sink faster than a sinking aircraft carrier.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:30

Bush to China - "Free nations are peaceful nations, free nations do not threaten their neighbors and free nations offer their citizens a hopeful vision of the future," Bush said. http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051116/pl_usatoday/bushur geschinatoallowmorefreedomlaudstaiwan

What a hypocrite!

But you see, Iraq is not our neighbor!   (I assume you were refering to that.)

And ever heard the expression "live by the sword, die by the sword"?  Well, if you don't live by the sword, you will die sooner by your enemies sword.  Therefore, Bush is not a hypocrit there, he was just unrealistic.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:39

We wouldn't need them to lend us money if we quit trading with them.  The reason the Chinese buy our bonds is so that we will have Chinese money with which to buy their goods with out the need of them to open up their markets to the US and thus they can maintain an artificial balance of payments.  With no trade they wouldn't do that.  Stopping them from buying treasury bonds would be dangerous for their economy as well, the yuan would increase in value and their goods would become more expensive when American goods are looking cheaper.

It sounds like you would like a dollar that perpetually increases in value, that would be quite bad for this economy.  Many economists think a lowering of the value of the dollar would be good for the United States precisely because it would reduce our trade deficit.

If we do go to war with China that would kind of make the issue of our debt with them moot, all those billions would never get paid back and the Chinese would be screwed.

And of course they would retaliate to this "so-called blockade" but our "so-called navy" is more powerful than their "so-called navy" and their fleet would probably be sunk within a month of the arrival of significant naval forces in the region.

Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:40

First of all free nations being peaceful nations is a serious misnomer. As evident by our behaviour. Yeah we didn't threaten Canada or Mexico but we threatened a distant neighbor. Remember, we're all over the place. Lastly, Mr. Bush says that free nations provide hope for the future. I would really like to know what that means exactly. He has given us hope? Surely not by sending our businesses overseas and expecting our middleclass to live on welfare. That trend needs a changin!

Edited by Seko
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:46

Surely not by sending our businesses overseas and expecting our middleclass to live on welfare. That trend needs a changin!

All that lines up with your previous economic statements.  Would you like the United States to be a protectionist country that keeps our businesses from exploiting profits?  For the 5000 people who lose their jobs because a plant moves to India, all Americans can save $10 at the grocery store, together that'd be almost three billion dollars, far more benefit than cost.  No serious economist thinks outsourcing is bad for an economy.

Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:54
Who will buy them products when they lose a job? I want industry not outsourcing. Competing, not giving in to the multicorps wishes. Outsourcing is bad when the service you provide is inefficient. Any economist will tell you that too. So we outsource to China. Save alot of money on labor. Still sell the product at a price as if we built it here, a war breaks out and we are stuck in the mud for a while. Great planning eh? Ten dollar savings versus long term security? Which one to pick?

Edited by Seko
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 22:01

Who will buy them products when they lose a job? I want industry not outsourcing. Competing, not giving in to the multicorps wishes. Outsourcing is bad when the service you provide is inefficient. Any economist will tell you that too. So we outsource to China. Save alot of money on labor. Still sell the product at a price as if we built it here, a war breaks out and we are stuck in the mud for a while. Great planning eh? Ten dollar savings versus long term security? Which one to pick?

They'll go find another job in an industry that is expanding due to trade, and no they don't sell them at the price they would if they were made here.  Even the labor put into a lot of products if they were made in the United States is greater than the price we pay now.  Without outsourcing you'd be paying $100 for a pair of shoes.  Whenever firms outsource they will reduce prices as much as they can to increase their market share.  If firm A and firm B both outsource to China and only firm A decreases its price to reflect the savings in cost, firm B will be going out of business very soon, so both firms will reduce their prices unless they want to go out of business.

And either way, this is not about outsourcing, this is about the possibility of a war with China.

Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 22:23

You make another good point about price differential between outsourcing and the home brewed kind. I agree that cheaper labor equals more profits and supposedly cheaper products. But it never ends. Look at Japan and Korea. They had lower standards of living. Their cars were cheap. We bought them. Their standards increased. Now they are not competively priced as they were before. So we go to China and India. Help build up their economy. Get cheap goods. Put more Americans out of work. Then China outlives it's beneficial value to us so we go some place else in the future. In the mean time we are competing on an uneven playing field. Downsizing and plant closings are as real as an overfed Ronald McDonald. We sure know how to export jobs. How about exporting American products? Oops, I forgot. We price 'em too high.

Back to this hypothetical war. So you still sure our war with China is still in our best interest? Especially with the economical misgivings it can produce.

Edited by Seko
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 22:39
I think such a war would be a kamikaze move by the US. China is no one to play with. And we, the rest of the world, don't need that happening.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 22:46

Why would it be kamikaze?  The US would probaby win it.  The Chinese have very few modern weapons and what weapons they do have would be spread very thin in a war with the United States which would entail conscripting millions of people.  The United States would have naval and air dominance and the ability to land at almost anywhere along China's coast.

The Chinese would have nowhere near as much firepower or mobility as the American Army and battles would probably end up looking a modern Agincourt, with the Americans pounding Chinese human waves with artillery and airpower and using their superior mobility to attack Chinese flanks and rear areas.  The biggest danger for the US would be urban combat where American firepower and mobility would be neutralized.

Member of IAEA
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 23:05

Genghis, I have always found your posts refreshing.  If only all of the anti-Chinese forumers are as practical and logical as you are, there would be much less trolling and much more reasonable discussion.

Yes, I agree that if the U.S. and China go to war right now, the U.S. will win, no doubt.  The equipment of the PLA is outdated compared to the U.S. military, and more importantly, China has no air and naval dominance. 

As to the possibility of war, it is very hard to tell.  If you lived in the fifties and someone asked you whether the U.S. and the Soviet Union would start WWIII, there is a good possiblity that you would answer YES.  But we all know that the Cold War never escalated into a full blown world war.

As to the problem of China, time is running out for the U.S.  To an extent, it depends on how fast China can develop.   If China can develop peacefully for another 10-20 years, then it will be strong enough such that for the U.S., working with China would become more beneficial than working against her.  

Genghis, why not run for Pres, I would prefer you than that idiot in the White House right now.  Although I do not approve of your neo-conservatism, I prefer an smart, honest conservative to a hypocritical jackass.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 04:13

Originally posted by Genghis

Without outsourcing you'd be paying $100 for a pair of shoes. 

You mean that you actually pay less than 100 $ for a pair of shoes?

What kind of shoes do you buy anyway... If I buy a pair for less that 150 Euros, I consider it a bargain!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Genghis

Why would it be kamikaze? 

For the fact that it would happen in the real world,not in a computer  game

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>