Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How did the Ottomans enter WW1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did the Ottomans enter WW1?
    Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 07:19
Wherent the commies who did build weapon factory's before Turkey did re-enter cyprus and after the us president "banned" Turkey to use NATO weapons?
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 10:35

Actually it was something sudden.

German Mittelmeersquadron,consisting of Battlecruiser SMS Goeben and Cruiser SMS Breslau moved from Austrian port of Pola to Mediterranean. It is said that they came to Istanbul because they were chased by English fleet,but I believe it was done on purpose by German high command to draw the neutral Ottoman Empire to war. Ottoman minister of war Enver Pasha was an admirer of Germany.As a neutral country, Ottoman Empire could only hold the ships in its ports for 24 hours. Germans wouldn't like to lose their ships and Ottomans needed a navy then,as the dreadnoughts she ordered to England and paid for it,was hold by Churchill's English navy.These ships were "bought" by Ottoman Empire and German crew of it wore fez to seem like the Ottoman crew.And with Enver Pasha's authority and knowledge(Later, it had also been rumored that he swore that he didn't also know anything about the attack),these ships had attacked to Sevastopol  suddenly and bombed Russian ships and ports.Neither Ottoman government or sultan or prime minister, nor any other officials knew about that before.

Then Russia declared war and Germany achieved her aim.The Allied side did not want Ottomans in their side as their aim was to share it after dealing with the Central Powers, but they didn't want Ottoman in the other side either, so a neutral Ottoman was ideal for them.But Ottomans had to get into the war anyway, but it had happened too early when the empire was unready.

So about the other stuff.

Unfortunately the real aims of English-French were seen after the war with their new colony-mandates.So, the betrayal of the Arab nation to the Ottomans resulted in terrible returns later.

After the Ottoman presence erased from the area and the European Imperialists came, Israel had been founded,puppet dictators had been formed in Arab countries, Middle East became the market and intervention area of the whole of the great powers and the harmony in the Middle East had been destroyed maybe till the end of the world.

Gallipoli was made to destroy the Ottoman Empire and stop her war effort by advancing to Istanbul and also help Russians in this way.The ANZACs or colonial soldiers were mostly used in that war, not mainly English or French.          ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 11:00

Originally posted by Kapikulu

So, the betrayal of the Arab nation to the Ottomans resulted in terrible returns later.

First of all, what are those Arab nations that betrayed the Ottomans? Sherrif of Mecca is the Arab nation?

Second, I think there is so much emphasis on the "betrayal" story as if the Ottomans were going to win without it. The Ottomans were going to lose no matter what, especially with the stunning defeats in the Caucauses by the Russian advancing troops and the lost of Cyprus and Lebanon. I think exaggerating the "betrayal" story is just a lovely excuse for the WWI outcomes to the Ottomans.

Was the Sherrief of Mecca an honest man? Not at all. But if the Young Turks would have acted correctly instead of butchuring nationalist in Syria and Lebanon by  Jamal Pasha, the greedy Sherrief would have not made it beyond Jordan.

Nothing was worse to the tragedy of the Ottoman Empire end more than Young Turks. Attacking the Russians without declaring war and losing in the Caucauses, policies of extermination toward nationalist in Syria, Lebanon, and Armenia, and their errors in the 1912 Balkan War, all resulted in the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in WWI.

Let us get real and stop hanging all reasons of Ottomans defeat around the "betrayal" closet. I don't hear the Albinian Betrayal who fought against in the Ottomans in the Balkan for independance, neither I hear the Armenian betrayal. They are called revolts, except for Arabs. It has to be summed to be "Arab nation" and not Sherrief, plus it is a betrayal and not a revolt. History will always witness idiots like Enver Pasha and the gang of young Turks, and their "betrayal" to the Empire, or should I call it just mistakes?

After the Ottoman presence erased from the area and the European Imperialists came, Israel had been founded,puppet dictators had been formed in Arab countries, Middle East became the market and intervention area of the whole of the great powers and the harmony in the Middle East had been destroyed maybe till the end of the world.

Puppets & intervention in the Middle East was not a result after the Ottoman presense "erased from the area". European powers, mainly Britain and France, were already in intervention with the Ottomans and the area as early as 1800's. The Ottomans were almost a puppet to Britain and France with their heavy load of debt and Britain enjoyed playing all scenarios in its favors including saving the ass of the Ottomans twice when Mehmet Ali Pasha was advancing toward Istanbul. The Ottomans were already under the intervention and it was just a matter of time before someone blow the Empire to ashes.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 16:21
Well said ok ge
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 21:19
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Why won't they teach it in school?

Anti - communism. Communism was illegal in Turkey. I believe that Communist parties only became legal a few years ago (have they indeed?)

I believe the first communist party in Turkey was founded in 1919 and it is still active today.There are actually a few parties in communist ideology today in Turkey, but not getting much vote,though.

The only time period that these communist parties were unactive in the multi-party period of Turkey was the extraordinary coup times.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 21:38
Originally posted by ok ge

First of all, what are those Arab nations that betrayed the Ottomans? Sherrif of Mecca is the Arab nation?

By "Arab nations" what I meant was the Arab folk generally. It is known that it was not only Sharif Hussein of Mecca who revolted against the Ottoman Empire. Among them, Marsh Arabs in Iraq,some around Jordan and Palestine and also future king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud of Nejd, also revolted against or supported the English side or caused logistic hardnesses and didn't help in Ottoman war cause and effort.Of course no need to mention the money's and Lawrence's effect on those.

Second, I think there is so much emphasis on the "betrayal" story as if the Ottomans were going to win without it. The Ottomans were going to lose no matter what, especially with the stunning defeats in the Caucauses by the Russian advancing troops and the lost of Cyprus and Lebanon. I think exaggerating the "betrayal" story is just a lovely excuse for the WWI outcomes to the Ottomans.

Was the Sherrief of Mecca an honest man? Not at all. But if the Young Turks would have acted correctly instead of butchuring nationalist in Syria and Lebanon by  Jamal Pasha, the greedy Sherrief would have not made it beyond Jordan.

First, the loss of Cyprus was actually in 1878, Britain just made the official annexation at the beginning of the war, so I didn't understand why you had put that here.

I agree with you about the Sharif of Mecca.It is claimed that he is from prophet's family line, but his character was not really reflecting such a honor.

Beyond it is an Ottoman excuse or not, there is a fact out there:

Arabs betrayed to the people they called as "brothers" in accordance to Islamic way of thinking, by cooperating with the opposite Christian side(Remember the effect of the conquest of Jerusalem in Christian world, even the happiness in Germany). And what they get was; being the mandate of Western powers.

Another thing to remember was that Arab representatives requesting diplomatic help from Turkey for themselves while Turkey was signing the Treaty of Lausanne.Last regret doesn't really work though.

Nothing was worse to the tragedy of the Ottoman Empire end more than Young Turks. Attacking the Russians without declaring war and losing in the Caucauses, policies of extermination toward nationalist in Syria, Lebanon, and Armenia, and their errors in the 1912 Balkan War, all resulted in the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in WWI.

Hah, classical theories of extermination about the Ottoman Empire one more time.

Puppets & intervention in the Middle East was not a result after the Ottoman presense "erased from the area". European powers, mainly Britain and France, were already in intervention with the Ottomans and the area as early as 1800's. The Ottomans were almost a puppet to Britain and France with their heavy load of debt and Britain enjoyed playing all scenarios in its favors including saving the ass of the Ottomans twice when Mehmet Ali Pasha was advancing toward Istanbul. The Ottomans were already under the intervention and it was just a matter of time before someone blow the Empire to ashes.

First, please be careful to stay in terms of respect by using a respectful language(saving ass of Ottomans!!!).

I meant today's world by intervention.Today it seems like there are independent states out there but they are all intervened

I don't reject that Ottomans were also in those conditions at that time, but at least those soils weren't under total domination of West.The land belonged to the state.

Puppets are a result of the mandate era, but mandate era is the result of the war.So we can connect them to each other, I believe.

You didn't talk about who had recognized Jewish presence in the area and gave them the right to found a new state.I believe that's because you can't find an anti-thesis about it.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 23:06

By "Arab nations" what I meant was the Arab folk generally. It is known that it was not only Sharif Hussein of Mecca who revolted against the Ottoman Empire. Among them, Marsh Arabs in Iraq,some around Jordan and Palestine and also future king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud of Nejd, also revolted against or supported the English side or caused logistic hardnesses and didn't help in Ottoman war cause and effort.Of course no need to mention the money's and Lawrence's effect on those.

I know you meant the Arab folk in general. That is my whole argument up there, generalization and simplification of complex issues you seem to insist on repeating. Also pay attention to what I posted regarding Young Turks policies in Syria, Lebanon against Arab nationalists.  Don't forget that in 1914, Young Turks upheld the ban on the official use of the Arabic language and its teaching in schools, while arresting many Arab nationalist figures in Damascus and Beirut. The extreme measures they took with public executions during Jama Pasha authority over greater Syria, was the as stupid as any multi-ethnic empire can take during a losing war. No wonder that a greedy guy like the Sherrief easily succeeded in his revolt.

Iraq was not in the Arab revolt sphere. Britain was rather invovled directly there. The Sherrief of Mecca just placed his son as the whole kingdom was a puppet after the war ended.

I know Cyprus was taken earlier, it was mentioned to stress the land lost by the Ottomans during the 1800's and many other frontiers were opened against the Ottomans. Arab frontier was not the decisive WWI frontier against the Ottomans.

You didn't talk about who had recognized Jewish presence in the area and gave them the right to found a new state.I believe that's because you can't find an anti-thesis about it.

Recognizing Jewish presence is different than recognizing the state of Israel. Israelis know it very well that without US aid and military support, Israel would have been cut off from its initial phase. Probably similar to what has Greece experienced when they invaded Western Turkey and the allies failed supporting their invasion as Greek invisioned earlier, resulting in their defeat.

First, please be careful to stay in terms of respect by using a respectful language(saving ass of Ottomans!!!).

to "save ass" is a slang term. No offense was intended. Still though, Fact: the Ottoman's a** was saved twice by Europe especially Britain.

If that fact is so offending, I think there is a moderator here already following up.

For some reason, many ultra-Kemalists would ideolize and praise Britain and France despite all what they planted for the end of the Ottoman Empire including supporting every single revolt on the Ottoman soil, while at the same time repeating like parrots the most used words by ultra-kemalist "betrayal". As the scholar Ibn Taimiyah said in the 1200's, "God will give victory to just nations even if they were non-Muslims, and defeat to injust nations even if they were Muslims". Thus, all what matters is justice and treatment. British might not be just, but don't expect your so-called brother to stand for you as you are planting injustice and ruthlessness. A valuable lessons Young Turks have always failed to learn. The complete joke came when they declared Jiahd for WWI. Jihad for what? Jihad is a defense war, not a war to regain stratigic lands lost and attacking Russia for pure land-dispute.  I wish we have more intellectual people like Kotumeyil on this forum.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 06:41

I wish we have more intellectual people like Kotumeyil on this forum.

I will discuss the other issues later but, if your understanding of history discussion is like that, underestimating the other side who doesn't think the same way as you are and giving the people you think the similar way as examples, I really can't find much to say about your level in history discussion.

There is a proverb in Turkish "Blinds and deafs entertain each other". That's the thing you do here, commending similar ideas and ignoring the other side just by a vulgar run down to other's ideas.

Who are you to evaluate my knowledge of history? Who are you to talk about my intellectual level without even knowing me?

OK, I wrote one, but let's not make it lengthy, so please don't reply to this ok ge, and if you want we can continue discussing about the history issues here.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 06:47

The extreme measures they took with public executions during Jama Pasha authority over greater Syria, was the as stupid as any multi-ethnic empire can take during a losing war.

Those executed were caught  working as spies when Jamal Pasha found out  in the French consulate of Damascus...Please tell the whole chapter if you wanna seem unbiased.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 06:58

I know you meant the Arab folk in general. That is my whole argument up there, generalization and simplification of complex issues you seem to insist on repeating. Also pay attention to what I posted regarding Young Turks policies in Syria, Lebanon against Arab nationalists.  Don't forget that in 1914, Young Turks upheld the ban on the official use of the Arabic language and its teaching in schools, while arresting many Arab nationalist figures in Damascus and Beirut. The extreme measures they took with public executions during Jama Pasha authority over greater Syria, was the as stupid as any multi-ethnic empire can take during a losing war. No wonder that a greedy guy like the Sherrief easily succeeded in his revolt.

Iraq was not in the Arab revolt sphere. Britain was rather invovled directly there. The Sherrief of Mecca just placed his son as the whole kingdom was a puppet after the war ended.

I don't defend the Young Turk policies here, as I don't sympathize with them either. But there is a real fact to be accepted, Arabs had done something to Ottomans, and their reward was seen after WW I.

I beg you please not to underestimate what the Arabs had done, they had sabotaged every single supply line with sabotages and have a good share in collapse of logistics in the Southern fronts.You always try to take the discussion to " would the result change", Ottomans were still gonna lose but the borders of the Middle East would surely change then.We can't surely know and comment about if... would... questions. I am looking at what has been done and what hasn't been.

Iraq was a place where some revolt activity took place by Marsh Arabs, my nearby reference is Cambridge's Encyclopedia of WW I

Recognizing Jewish presence is different than recognizing the state of Israel. Israelis know it very well that without US aid and military support, Israel would have been cut off from its initial phase. Probably similar to what has Greece experienced when they invaded Western Turkey and the allies failed supporting their invasion as Greek invisioned earlier, resulting in their defeat.

Have you ever read about the Balfour Declaration in 1917, if not so, please learn about that.

For some reason, many ultra-Kemalists would ideolize and praise Britain and France despite all what they planted for the end of the Ottoman Empire including supporting every single revolt on the Ottoman soil, while at the same time repeating like parrots the most used words by ultra-kemalist "betrayal". As the scholar Ibn Taimiyah said in the 1200's, "God will give victory to just nations even if they were non-Muslims, and defeat to injust nations even if they were Muslims". Thus, all what matters is justice and treatment. British might not be just, but don't expect your so-called brother to stand for you as you are planting injustice and ruthlessness. A valuable lessons Young Turks have always failed to learn. The complete joke came when they declared Jiahd for WWI. Jihad for what? Jihad is a defense war, not a war to regain stratigic lands lost and attacking Russia for pure land-dispute. 

At that time, some people considered Arabs as their brothers, but then that's why they became so-called brothers. That "brother" idea is not personally mine, but what the folk in Anatolia or the Ottoman Turkish soldiers thought about it.

I haven't seen any true Kemalist ideolizing Britain and France for that time period.

In treatment, there wasn't such treatment before the Young Turks time. And you talk like Young Turks exterminated all the Arabs around..The stuff you mentioned was mostly for the people who worked against the benefits of the state.

The title of caliph wasn't been using by the Ottoman Sultan at all. The idea of Jihad was a German idea to activate Muslims all over the Franco-English colonies and Russian lands.

Edited by Kapikulu
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 11:30

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Those executed were caught  working as spies when Jamal Pasha found out  in the French consulate of Damascus...Please tell the whole chapter if you wanna seem unbiased

The Diplomat, if you are going to execute nationalist, what do you think a good excuse can be used in a public execution? So you want to convince us that all his executed individuals were "caught" working as spies? Unless being a nationlist is automatically being a "spy". On one occasion, he hanged 12 young men in Jerusalem, in addition to the Mufti of Gaza, Ahmad Arif Al-Husseini, and his son from the well-known Al-Husseini familyAlso, you seem to forget that executions and banning Arabic in schools has an effect on local population.

Spies is just an excuse. I doubt the intelligence of all Young Turks. If Jamal Pasha was really able to identify them as "spies", maybe he should have done that with Eitan Belkind, an Ottoman Jewish soldier who worked as a British spy and a Nili member who infiltrated the Ottoman army as an official. Funny enough, he served Jamal Pasha!

I beg you please not to underestimate what the Arabs had done, they had sabotaged every single supply line with sabotages and have a good share in collapse of logistics in the Southern fronts.

I think you haven't really understood what I posted so far. Though I'm against exaggerating things in history, I of course recognize that the Sherrief revolution had an impact on the Southern fronts, however, I made it clear from the first post that I objected the notion of "Arab nation" which you haven't learned your mistake and went on saying "Arabs" again, summing 250 million Arabs under the pan of Sherrief.

Also, your use of "Betrayal" which I think it is unprofessional. It shall be called a revolution as much as other elements of the Ottoman Empire revolted. Drawing a rosey picture of the last years of the Ottoman Empire is a historical fiction. Before you continue repeating "betrayal" for the Sherrief revolt, set and think why was he so successful? In case you don't know, the last days of the Ottoman Empire was nothing but corruption for sure. Have you ever wondered the Bosnian revolt against Turkish rule 187576? Things were not improved with the Young Turks coming to power. They made things much much worse. So in summary, remove this idea of "brotherhood" out of your brain if you want to be realistic. Even your fellow Anatolian Turks and Alavis revolted against the Ottomans tons of times and even siding with the Safavids in multiple occasions. Can you find a school text in Turkish that describe that as a "betrayal"? Oh i forgot, they are Turks, they don't betray.

Iraq was a place where some revolt activity took place by Marsh Arabs, my nearby reference is Cambridge's Encyclopedia of WW I.

Balkan and Anatolia were also places where some revolts activities took place. So,  finally you found out that Iraq was not in the line of the Sherrief revolt. Though Im sure Iraqi population waited either for the Sherrief or Britain to "liberate" them from the Ottomans.

Have you ever read about the Balfour Declaration in 1917, if not so, please learn about that.

And have you ever heard of the Sykes-Picot agreement? What is your point here?

At that time, some people considered Arabs as their brothers, but then that's why they became so-called brothers. That "brother" idea is not personally mine, but what the folk in Anatolia or the Ottoman Turkish soldiers thought about it.

And at that time too, Arabs thought of the Turks as brother. However, all of that is destroyed with the Young Turks arrogant policies. Assuming they execute "spies" for the sake of argument, what has it to do with that banning Arabic in schools?

I haven't seen any true Kemalist ideolizing Britain and France for that time period..

I have seen ultra-Kemalist who idolize Britain and France, especially France. I'm not sure what is "true" Kemalist. Also, I'm not talking about "that time period", Im taking about now as much as most Ultra-Kemalist don't hate Arabs only in "that time period" but also now.

The idea of Jihad was a German idea to activate Muslims all over the Franco-English colonies and Russian lands.

Double check your history book please and search for "First World War and the proclamation of jihad by sultan-caliph Mehmed Reshad in 1914." We know that the idea of Jihad by the Ottomans was a joke. Does this explain why Arabs were not excited for it? It is as much as when Saddam used Jihad in his wars.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 11:50

I will discuss the other issues later but, if your understanding of history discussion is like that, underestimating the other side who doesn't think the same way as you are and giving the people you think the similar way as examples, I really can't find much to say about your level in history discussion.

I didn't know that praising Kotumeyil is an insult to you. Do you even read? His praise came after talking about Ultra-Kemalist. How do you fit yourself here to be the one criticized?

"I really cannot find much to say about your level in history discussion"

That is a clear impolite statement regarding me. Do you understand the difference now?

Keep the respect between us and try not to direct your criticism to a personal level.

D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 11:58

I have seen ultra-Kemalist who idolize Britain and France, especially France.

Well, half true, even they idolize france life style and culture, as  a country,  I dont think, they love her.In fact, Kemalist are mostly antogonist agains  European countries. They still thinks, some of them working  for serv agreement.

at that times, our laws were adopted  from Europeans country, but also brits, french or  italians counted as enemies.

By the way, I didnt know, Young turks banned arabic . If this is true, I think rebellion was justified, ever people have right to protect their own culture.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 01:55

Originally posted by Mortaza

By the way, I didnt know, Young turks banned arabic . If this is true, I think rebellion was justified, ever people have right to protect their own culture

Just to clear things and just in case, my example of Young Turks banning Arabic in schools, state-education, and government offices was not a way to excuse the Sherrief move rather than an explaination of Sherrief successful campaign. True many Syrians, Palestinians and Iraqis joined Sherrief forces, but as I always say, the Sherrief would have not found that supportive ground without the atrocities and arrogance of Young Turks and their extreme measures before and during WWI.

For instance, after the Young Turks promised lifting the ban on Albanian language use, many Albanians jonined the Young Turks first as to what many Arabs did too. However,  the Young Turks later legalized the bastinado, or beating with a stick, even for misdemeanors and denied the existence of an Albanian nationality. The new government also appealed for Islamic solidarity and used the Muslim clergy to try to impose the Arabic alphabet, thus turning more Albanians against the Ottoman Empire.

Nothing worse to the Ottomans than Young Turks. They were just a group of nationalist Turks (which is obvious by their title duh!) and obviously the hope that many ethnicities hold on them has evaporated as soon as their policies uncovered their hidden agenda. What is more stupid than losing friends?

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 02:59

Young Turks did many stupid things, however at first they introduced the ideas of liberty, equality, fraternity and democracy to the Ottoman Empire. At the beginning, they were the opponents of Abdlhamid's oppression. When they overthrew Abdulhamid, an environment of freedom was established. There was free press and the Ottoman Assembly included deputies from all nations of the Empire (like a meeting of UN Assembly) - I have full list of those deputies which mention their nationalities and the regions they represented). However nothing was on the way as the Young Turks assumed. Those were the days of political and economic chaos. The Young Turks didn't share a common political view except overthrowing Abdulhamid and putting the Constitution in force again. However, some of the leading staff of the Union and Progress evolved into ultra-nationalists as a result of the ongoing losses on battlefields, revolts of the subject nations and the financial crisis of the Ottoman Empire.

As a result, what the leaders of the Union and Progress Party did for the WW1 was stupid. However, the Young Turks constitutes a much wider group of individuals who sincerely wanted to bring democracy and freedom to a collapsing empire. So confining all Young Turks as the worst thing for the Ottomans just disturbs me. Many of them were self-sacrificing sincere intellectuals who struggled for the freedom of their people...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 06:33

Those executed were caught  working as spies when Jamal Pasha found out  in the French consulate of Damascus...Please tell the whole chapter if you wanna seem unbiased

The Diplomat, if you are going to execute nationalist, what do you think a good excuse can be used in a public execution? So you want to convince us that all his executed individuals were "caught" working as spies? Unless being a nationlist is automatically being a "spy". On one occasion, he hanged 12 young men in Jerusalem, in addition to the Mufti of Gaza, Ahmad Arif Al-Husseini, and his son from the well-known Al-Husseini familyAlso, you seem to forget that executions and banning Arabic in schools has an effect on local population.

Spies is just an excuse. I doubt the intelligence of all Young Turks. If Jamal Pasha was really able to identify them as "spies", maybe he should have done that with Eitan Belkind, an Ottoman Jewish soldier who worked as a British spy and a Nili member who infiltrated the Ottoman army as an official. Funny enough, he served Jamal Pasha!

Is this the way you try to escape from reality?I had been lectured about this in my ethics class.

Anyways,when The Ottoman entered the war,they went into battle with France as well...

and at the french consulate of Damascus,they got the documents which were proving the spies...You should face up to history if you wanna discuss it.

Jamal Pasha spent a lot of  goldens for getting the Arab syehs on our  side .He had roads,hospitals built in Syria which brough him the name ''Jamal Pasha The Great''....I have already read his memoirs.have u?Otherwise,If I were you ,I would not allegate such stuff

Edited by TheDiplomat

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 12:53

Jamal Pasha spent a lot of  goldens for getting the Arab syehs on our  side .He had roads,hospitals built in Syria which brough him the name ''Jamal Pasha The Great''....I have already read his memoirs.have u?Otherwise,If I were you ,I would not allegate such stuff

Actually escaping reality is when you go blind about atrocities done by Young Turks and start bubbling about what they have built or supported. You have to realize that no one cares about what the Ottoman built or paid for as there are executions and banning of the language use in schools which was never witnessed. Once you are preceived as a tyrannic prosecutor person, people won't set down and remember what do you for them on the other side. Saddam paid Sheikhs too and developed some communities to win their support, yet people are smart to know such tactics.

Plus, would you like to work harder and provide us with confirmation of those french documents you claim? It seems that you mix between executing a nationalist and a spy. I'm sure there are spies that Jamal Pasha caught, however, spies were everywhere in the Ottoman army and there is no way I will buy your argument that every person he executed was a proven spy.

By the way, many Arabs, Albanians, Armenians joined initially the Young Turks hoping for an improvement, however and as I said, Young Turks proved the opposite. No wonder that Jamal Pasha "the great" as you claim is now Jamal Pasha "the Butcher".

Originally posted by kotumeyil

So confining all Young Turks as the worst thing for the Ottomans just disturbs me. Many of them were self-sacrificing sincere intellectuals who struggled for the freedom of their people...

Kotumeyil, Young Turks have many who wanted the Empire to improve, however, there is a different between your intentions, and your outcome work. Despite their initial or hidden intentions, Young Turks were the worst thing for the Ottomans. I dont' have to repeat myself stating what they did that put the Empire in its worst positions and lost the trust of its people.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 14:33

It is true that in the beginning Young Turks were positive force. They brough down the tyranny of Abdulhamid II, and allowed free press and elections. But the CUP ('Comitee of Union and Progress') of 1908 is not the same as the one in 1914. A lot has happened in between.

It has been said that the in the Ottoman Empire the subject peoples have taken nationalism from the West while the Turks have taken democracy. This is what CUP did, they promoted democracy and a pan-Ottoman identity, instead of national identities. They thought that when people were free they would have been happy to be a part of the Ottoman Empire and the empire would not face any more loss of territory due to nationalist uprisings.

They were quickly proven wrong in the Balkan wars. This was a traumatic experience for the Ottoman state and the Young Turks, most of whom were from those Balkan areas which were lost. After this they changed their tactics from Pan-Ottomanism to Turkish nationalism, and later to Pan-Turkism. And they decided to hold on to the rest of the Empire at all costs, including death of a million Armenians or any other ethnicity who stood in their way. The Balkan wars convinced them that the only way they could hold on to the rest of the Empire was to Turkify it. Thus they forced the Arabs to learn Turkish in schools, and violently oppressed anyone who opposed them. Jemal was indeed a butcher, whom the Syrians despised. Young Turk revolution had degraded to tyranny, worse than Abdulhamid's.

Although I would blame the defeats in the Balkan war to Abdulhamid, even though they took place under CUP rule, mistakes during the World War, including Armenian ethnic cleansing, and eventually, the collapse of the Empire were the fault of the CUP. Especially the Enver-Jemal-Talat triumvirate. So I agree with Cok Gec, in the end, CUP rule was a disaster for the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East. Many problems we have today, both in Turkey and neighbouring countries, have their roots in the CUP. 

And 'Arab betrayal' is a Turkish nationalist spin on history. Although the British fooled the gullible Arab sheikhs, there were Arabs who fought on the Turkish side as well. It was the Young Turks who betrayed the Arabs. Young Arab graduates were told in the military academy that everyone in the Empire have to be 'Turks', just as the Turkish Republic told the Kurds that they were 'Turks', a decade later. See the continuity? 

There are points that I disagree with Cok Gec, too. Turkey didn't lose the war on the Eastern front, to the contrary. Russia collapsed after the revolution and Turkish armies were marching to Baku when OE surrendered. Compare the eastern border of Turkey today with that of Ottoman Empire in 1914 and you'll see that Turkey gained lots of territory there. And OE didn't lose the war in the West either. OE won the battle in Gallipoli, and was reasonably secure there. Southern front was the main danger, as towards the end the Allied forces were approaching Anatolia with Arab help.  

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 10:19

Plus, would you like to work harder and provide us with confirmation of those french documents you claim

I have jamal pasha's memoirs in hand.The man in first placewhich source do you have ?Book that bears the title Justification of the revolt written by the syrian nationalists?

Despite their initial or hidden intentions, Young Turks were the worst thing for the Ottomans. I dont' have to repeat myself stating what they did that put the Empire in its worst positions and lost the trust of its people.

If you really want to get to know them,I would strongly recommend the book Ittihad ve Terakki 1908-1914 by FEROZ AHMAD,a historian who is at Harvard Uni I guess.

Edited by TheDiplomat

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 10:46

I have jamal pasha's memoirs in hand.The man in first placewhich source do you have ?Book that bears the title Justification of the revolt written by the syrian nationalists?

Im not sure that you are aware of your advice. Are you asking me to read the memories of Jamal Pasha himself? What do you expect him to say in his memory? I butchered Arabs and prosecuted them because Im evil?

Anyhow, you told us three times about his book, Im glad you are reading his memories. But this information is not useful in our discussion.

What evidance I have? So Im suppose to believe Jamal Pasha memories and ignore the witness memories and bibliographies? what makes Jamal Pasha memories more valued? Also, it is not a nuclear science we are discussing here. The man claims every person he executed is a spy. Show me this is true! Show me that banning Arabic in schools is good? Show me that closing Arabic press and newspapers is good for the Arabs!

You have a lot of work to do before you convince any of us.

If you really want to get to know them,I would strongly recommend the book Ittihad ve Terakki 1908-1914 by FEROZ AHMAD,a historian who is at Harvard Uni I guess.

Actually Feroz Ahmed is not teaching in Harvard University. He teaches in Massachusetts University in Boston. Anyhow, Thank you.

And I recommend to you too to read : The Memory of Catastrophe, Peter Gray, Kendrick Oliver, Manchester University Press, Sep 1, 2004.

D.J. Kaufman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>