Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
    Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:11
Hehe, the school i went to didn't have much in the ways of restrictions, but something funny did happen. One guy decided to shave his head (purely for aesthetic and sporting reasons), and was suspended for having a 'nazi haircut', this Dutch-Chinese guy decided to have some fun, he came to school in a 'white power' T-shirt, whilst some of the staff noticed and commented on it, none of them could bring themselves to take any form of action or talk to him about it. 

British schools can very anal about restrictions, i'm so glad i didn't have to go to one.
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 08:54
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by azimuth

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

Where? All the verses I've read only mention that women (and men) should wear modestly. No mention on keeping something on your head. This is an interpretation, not an essential part of Muslim religion.

read this then 24:31

surat Al Nor

dont know how is that in the translations you have but its clear enough in Arabic.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 09:09
surat al nor,  how do you translate it to english?
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 09:19

its sura number 24 and the Ayah is 31

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 11:00
We've discussed the headscarf issue before and in dfferent translations it may have different meanings. Cover your chest is the predominant meaning! Some see it as cover the head though.

Edited by Seko
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 13:42
In a lot of cultures women wear and wore some sort of head cover, sari (rusar in persiani) was in Iran before Islam and its hijab, I think this interpretation has never been enforced by law in Iran until 1979.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 16:08

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

Where? All the verses I've read only mention that women (and men) should wear modestly. No mention on keeping something on your head. This is an interpretation, not an essential part of Muslim religion.

read this then 24:31

surat Al Nor

dont know how is that in the translations you have but its clear enough in Arabic.

Here you have three diferent translations in English from http://al-islam.org/:

[Shakir 24:31] And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful.
[Yusufali 24:31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.
[Pickthal 24:31] And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

I have looked in Merryam-Webster online dictionary, just in case I was misreading the meaning of bosom but it is very clear: it means breast or chest.

bosom

Main Entry: 1bosom opWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?bosom001.wav=bosom')">
Pronunciation: 'bu-z&m also 'b-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English bOsm; akin to Old High German buosam bosom
1 a : the human chest and especially the front part of the chest <hugged the child to his bosom> b : a woman's breasts regarded especially as a single feature <a woman with an ample bosom>; also : BREAST
2 a : the chest conceived of as the seat of the emotions and intimate feelings <a story you will take to your bosom> b : the security and intimacy of or like that of being hugged to someone's bosom <lived in the bosom of her family>
3 : the part of a garment that covers the chest or the breasts

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 16:20

I think there is in surat elnisaa2(women) even clearer things about hijab...  I will ask one of the girls{they know better about this} and get back to you...

in anyway you think of it... as islamic law or not, still unfear to ban girls from going to school because they're covered...

I heared the Islamic party won in Turkey a year ago or so.. what happened nw?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 17:27

In a lot of cultures women wear and wore some sort of head cover, sari (rusar in persiani) was in Iran before Islam and its hijab, I think this interpretation has never been enforced by law in Iran until 1979.

That's also for Turkish culture. Traditional women used to wear head scarfs (not hijabs though) since ancient times and they still use such costumes, though they arent prohibited or banned anywhere. But covering your hair shouldnt have to be the very same way that Arabs used to 2000 years ago, eve before Islam, right?

But anyway, the EU court's decision makes no sense or no importance for me, since it isnt God or our father to decide the right ot wring for us. If we have any problems with wearing hijab or not (we dont, that's false agenda), we should solve it our own, not by the advices of a western court or Arab league...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 17:41

They are still in power.

But anyway, the EU court's decision makes no sense or no importance for me, since it isnt God or our father to decide the right ot wring for us. If we have any problems with wearing hijab or not (we dont, that's false agenda), we should solve it our own, not by the advices of a western court or Arab league...

Turkey is willingly member of some pan-European organizations such as the OSCE, guess that it was in that context that the affected woman decided to appeal Turk judicial decission to the European Human Rights Tribunal... and lost the appeal.

In any case, it must be clear that it is a Turk decission to ban headscarves in Universities, not a European one. Just that the Tribunal was asked to rule on that Turk norm by a Turk woman that felt discriminated against, so it had to decide something.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 18:46

The, or an?
AFAIK there is more than one.

Arrrgh!!"
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:27
technically It's imposible that Turkey has an Islamic party. 
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:51

It should not be banned and it should not be forced on to. thats if the state doesnt want any internal problems, but as i can see the turkish government is really pushing it. there are way too many devoted muslims in turkey, 25-30% of the country. its just a matter of time till an uprising of somesort to happen.

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:51
Well, one of them has been outlawed AFAIK.
The one in power now is akin to many of those Christian Democrat parties in Europe.
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:37

i think this is one of the great disadvantages of translating the quran, it simply loses its meaning.

they should translate the Explanation of the words in the Quran not the Quran itself word by word,

for example from the above Ayah (verse) it says in Arabic "Wa LeYadhrebna BeKhumrehinah Ala Jeyobehenah"

if you asked someone who knows Arabic but not the Calssical Arabic to translate that word by word he would say.

"And To Hit themselvs with their Head Scarf on their Pokets"

really that how it sounds. but its not correct.

the Translations you provided for this exact verse says.

"and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms"

"that they should draw their veils over their bosoms"

"and to draw their veils over their bosoms"

each saw that the word Veils is the correct translation for the Word "Khumrihena"

also each saw that Bosoms is the Correct translation for the word "Jeyobehenah"

so now what does that verse means????

in Arabic we have like 7 volums of Explanations of the Words of the Quran in Arabic, 7 volums from one scholar. not to mention other scholars through history.

in the Explanation "Tafseer"  of Ibn Katheer , this verse orders women to use their Head scarf to cover their chests,

Which means that they are already Covering their heads with their Head Scarfs and need to Cover their Chests with that scarf too.

so covering the Head, the Neck, the shoulders and the Chest with their scarf.

i dont know if there are any English translations of the explanations of the Quran, such as the reasons of each verse and when it was said and what people did understand that at that time and what they did in accordance with this verse.

anyway there are more verses talking about Hijabs.

such as Surat Al Ahzab Ayah 59,  "chapter 33 verses 59"

[59] O Prophet! tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

in Arabic its much much clearer than that.

it says "Yudneena Alayhinah Men Jalabebhenah" which simply means "lower (cover) on themselves with thier clothes"

Tabari in his Explanation says that this is an order for wormen to cover their heads and faces when they go out of their homes.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:47
Originally posted by oTToMAn_TurK

It should not be banned and it should not be forced on to. thats if the state doesnt want any internal problems, but as i can see the turkish government is really pushing it. there are way too many devoted muslims in turkey, 25-30% of the country. its just a matter of time till an uprising of somesort to happen.

it's not the government, its the law.if it was up to government, your beloved islamic party would change everything by now.

as for uprising, keep dreaming ottoman
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:59
Afaik Kuran mention  the word "Hymar" if I'm not mistaken it means veil or cover?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 12:23

i think this is one of the great disadvantages of translating the quran, it simply loses its meaning.

they should translate the Explanation of the words in the Quran not the Quran itself word by word,

for example from the above Ayah (verse) it says in Arabic "Wa LeYadhrebna BeKhumrehinah Ala Jeyobehenah"

if you asked someone who knows Arabic but not the Calssical Arabic to translate that word by word he would say.

"And To Hit themselvs with their Head Scarf on their Pokets"

really that how it sounds. but its not correct.

the Translations you provided for this exact verse says.

"and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms"

"that they should draw their veils over their bosoms"

"and to draw their veils over their bosoms"

each saw that the word Veils is the correct translation for the Word "Khumrihena"

also each saw that Bosoms is the Correct translation for the word "Jeyobehenah"

so now what does that verse means????

in Arabic we have like 7 volums of Explanations of the Words of the Quran in Arabic, 7 volums from one scholar. not to mention other scholars through history.

in the Explanation "Tafseer"  of Ibn Katheer , this verse orders women to use their Head scarf to cover their chests,

Which means that they are already Covering their heads with their Head Scarfs and need to Cover their Chests with that scarf too.

so covering the Head, the Neck, the shoulders and the Chest with their scarf.

i dont know if there are any English translations of the explanations of the Quran, such as the reasons of each verse and when it was said and what people did understand that at that time and what they did in accordance with this verse.

anyway there are more verses talking about Hijabs.

such as Surat Al Ahzab Ayah 59,  "chapter 33 verses 59"

[59] O Prophet! tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

in Arabic its much much clearer than that.

it says "Yudneena Alayhinah Men Jalabebhenah" which simply means "lower (cover) on themselves with thier clothes"

Tabari in his Explanation says that this is an order for wormen to cover their heads and faces when they go out of their homes.

I'm not persuaded. What's the true commandment? The advise of the prophet or the interpretation of some scholars, who are obviously contaminated by a given cultural tradition?

Notice that in the second verse you mention Muhammed says only "that is most convenient" - not necessary or compulsory.

Anyhow, the essence is to praise modesty but they seem very culturally contextual comments and not very specific.

Don't know in Islam, but in Christianity at least there's a school that suggests that each commandment and precept must be followed withing each person's context and conscience. I may be read as some sort of moral relativism but it is beloved of the Jesuits, the promoters of Counter-Reformation but also of missionarism.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 22:45
In one of the phrases above, it is written:
"shame of sex".
Why is sex considered shameful? It is a normal function for the male and female human species, not to mention neurologically and physically necessary to maintain hormonal levels (chemical imbalances) at a normal level! It's no secret that males and females have sex not only to procreate but for the pure pleasure, excitement and enjoyment of the act. It is vital for human existence, yet it is looked down upon as shameful. Why is that?

Back to the topic, headwear in schools should not be banned, period. There used to be a time when women were not allowed to wear pants in the US public schools, but society changed, times changed, and therefore the laws were changed in accordance with same, and now women can pretty much wear comfortable clothing, including slacks, jeans, etc to schools. I really can't see the connection between headwear and education, or why education should be sacrificed because you wearing something on your head, be it a hat,veil, or whatever! That's all!   

I bet if Queen Elizabeth showed up with one of her frilly, feathery, pompous, designer hats, no one would say a word to her or tell her she's banned from anything!

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 22:51
Originally posted by morticia

Why is sex considered shameful?

They are Yahvists... you know: they concept of life is a perpetual martyrdom.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>