Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mr.K

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mr.K
    Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 13:16
Franz Kafka, i am reading him right now and the thing is that i like it, but there is a simple problem, i can't understand 90% of his texts background. I am focusing on "The Trial" at the moment and its true meaning is truly in a hiding from me. It seems to be a mockery towards the court system of the time (pre WWI Austro-Hungary), but so much else. I see a meaning in every column of oddity and abstraction but can't quite put a finger on it, or even near it.
My literature teacher believes he saw the coming of the 20th century - the concentration camps, the 1917. revolution and all the evil that will be so well known to people of the time, and already are to us, but i really don't feel i am up to really discussing about that in detail for a grade.
I just thought if anyone would care to write his opinion of Kafka and if possible, about "The Trial". Well, toodles, happy modernistic experiences!
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 22:58

I have mixed feelings about Kafka. I think he wrote his books without really knowing the end. In fact he didn't finish any of his novels. I haven't read the Trial, but from what I know of it, it deals with the absurdity of a system where the accused and even the accusers don't know of what he's actually accused of. It does sound an awful lot like something that might happen in a Nazi and Stalinist prison.

I had a problem with really understanding Kafka, perhaps because I don't understand the mentality of the people from his background.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:26
Well, i think i have gotten the point, or rather points, alot of points of the book. It tells so many possible stories from the freaky court system of the era to the future rise of dictatorships with which such passive terror and ignorance and mass confusion come in a package. It also has a wise story of telling how everyone, from the most stupid of men to real judges and juries judge people of who they know no more about then a perfect stranger. This rampant in the modern society and we are all the judges on the paintings of Titorelli who are the judges of everyone.
Read "the Trial" 6 times and you will surely get  atleast 6 stories of brilliance.

My literature teacher had a good question for us, the students - she smiled at us, and asked "How many trials are you being investigated in  and in how many are you the judges and advocates?" 
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply