Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your childhood historical heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your childhood historical heroes
    Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 07:48
When i was young, OLOF PALME was like our leader and father, anyway our beloved prime minister was shot and killed in 1986, it was on all the news and as I 6 year old and was really affected by this event.

Now that i think back on this, I kind of realize that I was a brainwashed (more or less) because, i mean How can a six year old boy care about a politicians death?

He was a great guy. If u want to know more about him read this:
http://www.utb.boras.se/uk/se/projekt/history/articles/swe den/inworld6.htm

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 07:50
In fiction, my hero was Ulysses whose adventures in Homer's Odyssey just captivated me.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:56
my first heroe was tatanka yotanka ,better known as sitting bull, chief of the hunkpapa-sioux. i read about his fight at little big horn , i had some toy figures of these battle ,played many rainy autumn -afternoons with it. and i
said to me ,sometimes i will travel to the plains , and will be close to the spirit
of my heroe. but i didnt do it till today...
         &nbs p; 

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 11:35

Legendary hero: Hercules

Historical hero: The Soldier of the Romanian Army.

Nowadays hero: Ulrich Rudel (to bad he fought on the wrong side)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 13:51

As a child........i used to have an idealised image of Richard the Lionheart, but also Saladin as well, i admired both leaders grasp of political intrigue and manner of leadership....

..could not help but admire Genghis Khan as well!!!...utterly ruthless but willing to adapt and change when necessary.....

..more recently...

...i have gained a sneaky respect for Franklin D. Roosevelt and Nikita Khrushchev.....

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 00:33
Alexander Mackenzie was a hero of mine growing up. He was the first European to cross North America in 1793. He reached the Pacific at a place called Bella Coola, not far from where I live now.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 08:23
Zorro
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:12

Yes Zorro was my hero too. But my historical hero was and still is Dr. Mossadegh, the iranian symbole for democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Mossadegh

Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh (May 19, 1882 - March 4, 1967) was prime minister of Iran from 1951 to 1953. He was removed from power by Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the Shah of Iran, and pro-monarchy forces in a complex coup led by British and US intelligence agencies.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:40

Didnt have any fave historical hero but i was always being fascinated after reading a book when i was a kid, about the story of "Benkei".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benkei

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 21:39

My childhood favorites were Julius Caesar and Scipio Africanus.

Lately, I've also come to admire Dr. Mossadegh.  I think he's an inspiration, not only to Iranians, but to all democracies.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 09:19
Many of the traditional superheroes like Superman or Batman. Especially Batman. The first movie of the saga with Michael Keaton, Kim Bassinger and Jack Nicholson is one of my favorites of all time. Curiously, I've always liked Joker the most in that movie, though.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Hormoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hormoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 22:56

Manfred von Richthoften, the Red Baron, the most famous aerial ace ever, the top scoring fighter pilot of WWI (80 kills) was a childhood favorite of mine

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 23:12

He makes a great pizza too.  My first childhood hero was robinhood, as I grew older it became Abraham Lincoln.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 06:20
My first that i can remember was Hercules and the moved onto Joan of Arc and now it includes some of great generals like Belisarius and Gehghis Khan.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 10:58
Roland, the paladin.
Vae victis!
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 13:22
As a child, I loved stories of the American "wild west." My first historical hero was Wyatt Earp, legendary lawman of Dodge City. He is portrayed as a calm and collected keeper of the peace, with a devotion to justice. I was fascinated by stories of capturing outlaws on the western front and the drama of a "quick draw." I admired him as a child, and admire him even more as a young adult. I am pursuing a career in federal law enforcement, and he was one of my first heroes that inspired me to this. I am glad this topic was posted, as it gives the chance to learn something about personal icons on an international level. Already, I have heard several names that I was not yet familiar with, and they all seem to be very interesting. Great post idea!
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 17:04
when i was in primary school we used to celebrate in 25 of March the independence war of 1821 (against the Ottoman Empire).So i and other classmates used to play ,pretending of being revolutionary heroes like Kolokotronis and Karaiskakis.Seldom were a guy who played the OttomanLOL ...In our minds the greek revolution was an impossible glorius achievement against a powerfull enemy , far more glorius than those in Thermopylae and Marathon.There were western european paintings in the classes ,portraying imposing fights,revolution heroes etc.
I think that all those classic paintings were removed from schools because of the recent Grecko-Turkish approachment and friendship. But i dunno think that this will make the stereotypes wich are produced in our societies
(Greek and Turkish)fade away...We have to learn from our countries history about who we are , not who we "have" to hate...

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 18:13
Does hairy caveman nr 5 count

that character was out of a Historybook(childerns lots of pics) .

He was the one who saved his villeage by inventing fire.

I forgot the books nameDisapprove

But will allways rember caveman nr 5 or gar(lets call him garry the harry caveman)

btw does vicky the viking count I still love him(nice sign Ulrich btwBig%20smile)

but seriously the first person I can rember was Charlemagne

he was a king who cared about the people and he was a bit paranoid (moving all the time)

but what most afected me were the education reforms(reading and writing is a right not a privileage)

I wasmabey 10 or 11 years old.(I was born and raised in the netherlands so no oriental or Mediterenean heroes for meTongue) (well now I accualy do he is one of the few I still like in western history)
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 18:27
Napoleon, Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great were all early heroes of mine. I once did a report on conquerors where I mentioned them.

Lately I've found that the military heroes of the world aren't always the greatest people. Genghis Khan, Alexander and Napoleon probably have their share of misdeeds. Of them, I still like Alexander the Great and admire Napoleon Bonaparte's somewhat enlightened views. I still like to think that Napoleon was an 'uncommon, common man,' who 'destroyed the old world order by supplanting kings and emperors despite his humble beginning.'
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 18:36
My hero was Hitler, i was always intrigued by the sheer shadow of his moral and strictness, but i would never support his purposes for the German Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>