Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your childhood historical heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your childhood historical heroes
    Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:45
What was your first historical hero you can remember?

mine was:

Roald Amundsen
When I was a child I was completely fascinated by polar explorers, Shackleton, Nansen, and of course Jules Verne's captain Hatteras, but my favorite was Amundsen. The first to do the northeast passage and the first man to reach the South Pole. His first reaching the south pole after an exciting race with Robert Falcon "for God's sake look after our people" Scott was of course a fascinating story.

During the years my main interest has switched to warmer places, but I still want to visit Antarctica some day.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:48
I had many. The first must have been Richard the Lionhearted. That is, until I started reading about him. That was in my pre-teen days. I moved on the Alexander the Great around 11, and finally to Flavius Belisarius when I entered high school.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:52
no specific hero, but as a  teen i really loved pirates and knights...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:53
The first hero I was fascinated by and really existed was "Dietrich von Bern", aka Theoderic the Great, from a book of German "Heldensagen" (Legends of the Heroes) that my fahther read to me when I was five or six.
I preferred Siegfried then, but he's purely mythical.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:23

Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.

Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

"Patriot of Patriots", is what Gandhiji described of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.

Subhash Chandra Bose was one of the most influential and charismatic leader of pre-Independence India .

His life was full of mystery and adventure and indeed his death has been a major issue and creates controversy from time to time.

http://netaji.netfirms.com/

Jai Badri Vishal
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:24
Marco Polo. I saw a  movie about him when I was about 4 and the rest is history! Okay, that's a bad pun, but that movie got me hooked on history.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 08:10

karl marx

and

batman

and of course

george lucas!!!!!!!

Edited by AlbinoAlien
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 08:52
Napoleon until I was 11, then Horatio at the bridge til I grew old enough to simply settle for multiple favourites.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 08:57

Batman's not really a historical figure. Though I have and continue to admire Superman. I still read his comics.

Napoleon and Frederick the Great were another two people that I looked up to.

Edited by Belisarius
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 11:21

Apart from the likes of Robin Hood and Hereward the Wake when I was small, in mid-teens I kind of settled on Charles II (of England and Scotland) as a role model .  Not just because of Nell Gwyn and the Duchess of Portsmouth and the rest, but he struck me as a pretty sensible and non-ideological kind of guy. Maybe 'hero' is the wrong word though.

Frederick II (HRE) has a similar appeal: it always struck me as a good idea to buy back Palestine rather than fight over it.

For 'real' heroes, though, it would be difficult to put anyone ahead of Nelson.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 12:35
Originally posted by gcle2003

I think millions of nationalists all over the world would disagree with you here.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 12:41

Morelos and Pancho Villa
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:35

Recently voted greatest living Englishman seems my childhood choice was well chosen.

However he did once say "I don't have any heroes, they're all useless."

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 02:13

Of course kids don't like military heroes. Mine was D'Artagnan (he was for real), Zorro and Robin Hood.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 06:49
Originally posted by Belisarius

Originally posted by gcle2003

I think millions of nationalists all over the world would disagree with you here.

No doubt. The question does refer to childhood heroes.

Edited by gcle2003
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 13:29

In cartoon Robin

In life Imam Ali Bin Abi Talib.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
El Cid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El Cid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 13:36
I think my favorites were Alexander the great, Cuahtemoc, Vercingetorix and El Cid (Rodrigo Daz de Vivar).
The spanish are coming!

oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 22:19
FATIH SULTAN MEHMED (the conqueror)
Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:52

Laksamana Hang Tuah... from Kesultanan Melayu Melaka....

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:32

Hercules, as I was being told his tales since 4-5 yrs old.

Alexander the Great, as when I was a child, we had problems with Macedonia, because a bunch of slavs wanted the name (the story is still going on). I learnt songs about Alexander, and heard his tales.

D'Artagnan, the best of all, when I was a bit older (9-10 yrs). I read the three musketeers two years ago and I loved it. I still have D'Artagnan as my hero.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>