Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*Total Quiz XI* Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Total Quiz XI* Part 2
    Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 15:18

Total Quiz XI

(Part 2)

Take the Total Quiz:
(Total Quiz XI has concluded. No more answers accepted)

Introduction: TQ is a history trivia contest. Anyone is free to participate and the contest is open to all forum members and guests.

Instructions: Go to the questions page enter your name and submit answers to the questions. You are allowed an unlimited number of submissions and you may use any source, reference or search engine to help you with your answering. Points are awarded for correct answers. The participant with the most points win. The scoreboard will be updated regularly. Only use the answer sheet to submit answers, DO NOT post answers on the forum.

TQ ends Friday 3:30 EST

Tentative Final Scores with bonus points:

NickName Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Q11 Q12 Q13 Q14 Q15 Total
poirot 1 1 1 0.91 1 0.91 1 1 1 0 0.91 1 1 1 1 13.74
Dawn 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0.5 1 1 1 1 1 0.88 0 13.38
Decebal 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 13
Heraclius 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 12
Aeolus 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 10
Mixcoatl 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 10
Richard Niehart 1 0.5 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 8.5
achilles 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
phallanx 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
Maju 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7
Ahmed The Fighter 1 1 1 1 1 0.67 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.17
katulakatula 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6
kotumeyil 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6
Serge L 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
rider 1 0.25 1 1 0.25 0 0 0 0.25 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.75
Janisary 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

-----------Answers to Total Quiz XI.2------------

Q1. What is the name of the trade route that once ran between China and the Roman Empire? (Submitted by Invictus)
Answer: The Silk Road

Q2.  The Treaty of Andrusovo ended what war and when it was signed? (Submitted by Rider)
Answer: Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth signed it in 30 January 1667. It ended the struggle over Ukrainian terrtories.

Q3. Who Founded the Shilla Dynasty? (Submitted by Gubook)
Answer: Bak Hyeokkose.

Q4. I commanded the Tang troops at the Battle of Talas in 751 A.D. Although I served under the Tang Empire, I am Korean in origin. I was beheaded at the start of the Anlushan Rebellion. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: Gao Xianzhi, or Kao Xianzhi, or any spelling close to this will count as correct

Q5. I founded the great Swedish fortress in a province of Finland in 1747. The fortress became my life work. I died in 1772 at the age of 62. Who am I and what are the names of the fortress? (Submitted by Rider)
Answer: I am Swedish Field-Marshal August Ehrensvrd. (1710-1772) The fortress has been called Sveaborg and Suomenlinna.

Q6. This question has three parts: I was one of the major figures of a major revolution in a country south of the United States. I did not survive past 1960. Bad weather was attributed to my death, but there have been speculations that my death was ordered by another major figure of the same revolution. 1. What is the country that I refer to? 2. Who is the other major figure who many speculate may have ordered my death 3. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: 1. Cuba 2. Fidel Castro 3. Camillo Cienfuegos

Q7. Over the 20th century, quite a few of countries have called themselves 'People's Republic' (For example: Yemen, Belarus and Algeria). But which 'People's Republic' has been the longest-living one so far? Give the country, plus the years in which the people's republic was proclaimed, and (if applicable) discontinued. (Submitted by Yan)
Answer: Mongolia, 1924 - 1992

Q8. At one point, it became somewhat common for Roman emperors to call themselves "unconquerable." One Emperor, however, was so great that he was not merely unconquerable. One of his feats is that he had his title "Imperator" proclaimed and renewed more times than any other Roman emperor had in history. Who is this Emperor and how did he modify his title, after a victory that convinced him that he was not only "unconquerable"? (Submitted by Invictus)
Answer: The Emperor is Constantine (IMPERATOR CAESAR FLAVIVS CONSTANTINVS PIVS FELIX INVICTVS AVGVSTVS PONTIFEX MAXIMVS PATER PATRIAE PROCONSVL). Constantine had his title "Imperator" proclaimed and renewed 30 times, which is the most of any Roman Emperor. The word Invictus (unconquerable) was used by various emperors after Alexander Severus. After winning the entire empire for himself, Constantine replaced "Invictus" with "Victor" (conqueror). Since the wording is somewhat vague, I also accepted "Maximus," (but not "Pontifex Maximus," since that's another title) which was added after the victory at Milvian Bridge.

Q9. This person was born in midst of the 15th century. She married the Prince of a neighbouring kingdom. She was the brother of the ruling king and with difficulties gained the throne. She fought against nobles, neighbours and furious clerics but most of the time had the support from the lower classes. She created the basis for an united kingdom. She had the respect of one pope who ruled at the most of the ruling time of the person. Most of her children died from small ages. She died a few years after Columbus' fourth voyage. Who was she? (submitted by Rider)
Answer: Isabelle of Castille

Q10. He rose from a humble beginning to become a prophet and a king. For a short time, he ruled a new Jerusalem, establishing a new Zion. (Submitted by Hugoestr)
Answer: John of Leyden. He was a Dutch innkeeper who became a prophet. A group of Anabaptist led by Bernand Rothmann took control of Munster and proclaim John of Leyden King of New Zion. The displaced Bishop of Munster gathered an army and sieged the city for a year and a half, until a group of citizens within the walls open the gates to his army. The corpes of the Anabaptist leaders were hung on a cage hanging from the tower of St. Lambert's Church Chadwick, Owen. "The Reformation" Pinguin Books, Middlesex, England. 1972. Pages 190-192.

Q11. I am the only Chinese emperor who, although belonging to the same dynasty, did not share the same surname as my predecessor. I was adopted as successor by the previous emperor and the name of the dynasty stayed the same after I ascended the throne. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: Emperor Shi Zong (Shizong) of Zhou, during the Five Dynasties Period. The name is Chai Rong. The predecessor's name was Guo Wei. After the death of Chai Rong, a military officer named Zhao Kuangyin usurped the throne, and thus began the Song Dynasty in China. Both Shi Zong (Shizong) and Chai Rong are accepted as the correct answer!

Q12. According to legend, what Englishwoman learned in the sciences who lectured in Saxony, Rome, France and Greece was elected to the most unlikely job in the world for a women to do. (Submitted by Paul)
Answer: Pope Joan, who reigned as Pope John VIII 853-855. But was found out to be female went she went into labour when travelling through the city.

Q13. Amun, Ra, Ptah and Seth are names of Egyptian Gods. One time, Amun, Ra, Ptah and Seth got into an interesting situation. Ra was badly attacked and fled, but the Ptah and Seth were able to save the day. What event in history is this referring to?
Answer: The Battle of Kadesh between Ramses and the Hittites. Amun, Ra (Re), Ptah, and Seth were names of divisions of the Egyptian army. The Ra division was ambushed and routed.

Q14. What links the following together: Marcus Licinius Crassus (1st Century BC), Charles Ewart (19th Century), Hermann Goering (1940), Helmut Rosenbaum (1942)and why? (Submitted by Dawn)
Answer: Eagles. First century BC-Marcus Licinius Crassus the battle of Carrhae in 43 B.C.E., when the Triumvir Marcus Licinius Crassus was treacherously defeated by the Parthians, losing (according to Plutarchs Life of Crassus) some 30,000 men, of whom 20,000 were slain and 10,000 taken captive and a couple of eagles 19th- century-Charles Ewart Sergeant Charles Ewart captured the Imperial Eagle standard of the French 45th Regiment after a desperate fight and well deserved the commission which he was later given by the Prince Regent. 1940-Hermann Goering In August 1940 he confidently threw himself into the great offensive against Great Britain, Operation Eagle, convinced that he would drive the RAF from the skies and secure the surrender of the British by means of the Luftwaffe alone 1942-Helmut Rosenbaum U-73 departed under Helmut Rosenbaum from La Spezia on 4th Aug 1942 and arrived back at La Spezia four and a half weeks later on 5th Sep 1942. Helmut Rosenbaum hit one ship on this patrol from convoy WS-21S. On 11th Aug 1942 he sank the British 22,600 ton HMS Eagle, a member of convoy WS-21S Note: not my own question but I liked the style of it

Q15. Father and Son: It was a bad day in the office for the whole family: The father died, the son was so badly injured that he only could run the family business for another few weeks, before his brother-in-law had to take over. This brother-in-law, who although was the first to bear an impressive title, lost it all as well after a couple of years. Who were the three (name the Father, his Son, and his Son-in-law), and what happened to the father after his death? (Submitted by Komnenos)
Answer: Father: Nikephoros I (Emperor: 802-811) Son: Stauracius  (July 811-Oct 811) Son in law: Michael I Rhangabes (811-813)was the first ever to use the title"Emperor of the Romans"("Basileus Romaion") Nikephoros died at the battle of Pliska 26th July 811, and his skull was allegedly turned into a drinking vessel by the victorious Khan Krum. His son was completely paralysed in the battle.

Edited by Dawn
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:33
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Current scores will be updated one hour from the start of the quiz and afterwards whenever possible, but at a minimum of 4 hour intervals until near the end of the quiz.

hmmm... I suppose some hours more when it's night onyour side of the world . . . or do you just  need to sleep four hours? I certainly need more!
BTW,  am I half-asleep (it's late evening here) or is the link to the scores missing?

[edit] Oh,  I can see the scoreboard now![/edit]

Edited by Serge L
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:42
Scores have been updated. Some people are already on a roll. I'll be sure to make it harder next time. 

For questions that were awarded partial points, only part of the question was answered.

hmmm... I suppose some hours more when it's night onyour side of the world . . . or do you just  need to sleep four hours? I certainly need more!
BTW,  am I half-asleep (it's late evening here) or is the link to the scores missing?

oh Its just that scores won't be updated continuously, so that people near my time zone would have an advantage.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 18:46

Imperator, you left out my two best questions!!!   The one about Roman vice and the other about the actress!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, good quiz, especially after question 10.  I love question 14   That was a tough one, because one needs to know the right place to look for the answer. 

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 18:58

Yeah, I'm not sure how the selection of the questions works. I've submitted about half a dozen, but I have yet to see one on the quiz.

Anyway, Invictus, if you want to make the quiz harder,...

Edited by Imperator Invictus
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 19:17
Decabal, I've actually not received any questions from you, so make sure you submit some after this quiz.

About the second thing you mentioned, I'm aware, but its more of the balance between "easy research" and "hard" questions that is tricky. For example, if every question were like #15, then the quiz would become pretty frustrating and "baised toward people's specialties". But I am aware that the balance between easy and hard is not always optimum.

As for this one, I don't think its too easy compared to previous quizes, but of course, the standard for questions is that they get harder and harder.

Anyways, enjoy the quiz!

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 19:58
#11 is harder than it looks LOL    And #6 is much easier than it looks

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:35
Unlike the previous quizes, the questions this time are arranged from easy to difficult, so you can see how my prediction is coming out. 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:00
I can't find the questions. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:09
Questions are located at the link near the top of the post:

>>Go to the TQ Questions Form
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:16
Clarification: On Question 10, the fact that he was proclaimed king must be taken literally. So "King" cannot be interpreted as a metaphor for any (other) type of leader.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:22
Thanks Invictus!
AAAAAAAAAA

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 02:21
I can't understand. Is it allowed to use other sources than your head in it? (TQ)
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:59
Any source or reference material may be used in answering the questions.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:28

Good job Komnenos for coming up with 15.  That was a good one.  I think I finally got it after searching two wrong tracks.   

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:37

Hey, don't my submitted questions count? I thought they did, and in the previous TQ they did for Dawn and others. (they got 0.75 points for each)

there were three questions submitted by me here and i believe i answered them correctly but....

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:40

Originally posted by poirot

Good job Komnenos for coming up with 15.  That was a good one.  I think I finally got it after searching two wrong tracks.   

Argh! I thought i'd be the only one who'd get that

Great question Komnenos  

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:10
Originally posted by rider

Hey, don't my submitted questions count? I thought they did, and in the previous TQ they did for Dawn and others. (they got 0.75 points for each)

there were three questions submitted by me here and i believe i answered them correctly but....

Yes they will count at the end of the round you will be awarded points based on how many questions you answer

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:49
A little more than 24 hours remaining in the quiz. It looks like this one will be hard-fought, but its still anyone's game at this point. 
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:56
Good job Dawn!  I did not expect anyone to answer 11 at the end of the first round! Appaluse! !

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>