Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical annoyances.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical annoyances.
    Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 19:01
well, Jesus IS (or rather was) white - if he ever existed that is...Semites are still Caucasian

True, he was Jewish, and in many countries days, Jewish people are presumed to be white (even officialy in the census). On the other hand, he would have looked like your typical Eastern Mediterranian geezer, things get purely subjective here, a 'do we like him enough' type thing.

White is usually a term only applied to European Caucasians, and even more specifically northern Europeans. Arabs are not called White although they are Semite and neither are Greeks.

Its intresting how the the specifics of 'white' vary depending on where you are. In the UK, north and south europe offers no real distinction on 'whiteness', and Turkish people are, admistrativly speaking, considered white (they look like Greeks after all, who are also white). In the US, Arabs, especialy Christian Lebanese, traditionaly were lumped under the white catogory (might still be the case with the US census bureau, not really sure).

And people still claim that race, on a day to day basis (outside the realms of anthropology) isn't merely a subjective cultural thing.
Add that to the list of annoyances.
Arrrgh!!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 19:28

True, their faces are not powdered...

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:38
You all mean "white" as in Nordic European, not just European, right?  I always thought of Semites as "white," so if they aren't white, neither are Europeans of the "Mediterranean" type (Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians and Greeks).  Heck, I'm a W.A.S.P. (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) myself, and I wonder how some non-whites can get away with calling themselves "black" when their skin color is no darker than mine.

The ancient Egyptians had the right attitude on race.  They didn't care much about what you looked like; if you accepted the culture of the Nile valley you were good enough for them.  The Turkish members of this forum can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't modern Turkey the same way, inasmuch as it is also a multi-racial society?  A lot of countries could learn from these examples.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 07:19
You all mean "white" as in Nordic European, not just European, right?

No, where i live, white is all European, and a few others too (like Turkey etc). Institutionaly that is, forms, census etc.

I always thought of Semites as "white," so if they aren't white, neither are Europeans of the "Mediterranean" type (Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians and Greeks).

Its intresting to note that amoungst the first people in the colonial era to define themselves as 'white' in opposition to the 'blacks' of Africa where the Spanish and Portugese. Strange then, or even ironic, that some people today should decide that they are not 'white'.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 09:46
The Turkish members of this forum can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't modern Turkey the same way, inasmuch as it is also a multi-racial society?  A lot of countries could learn from these examples.

What defines you in Turkey is your religion mostly, I would say.  It's been like that since the Ottoman Empire.  I say this because I know that some Bulgarians who converted to Islam ended up in far better situations than those who stayed Christian (the majority).

Some other annoyances:

Macedonians claiming Tzar Samuil as their own pretending to be descandants of the ancient Macedonians.

People lumping all communist countries in the same category.  Have you seen Poland or Hungary committing mass genocides like the Soviets or Chinese?

That America saved everyone during World War 2.

That St. Cyril and St. Methodius (creators of the cyrillic alphabet) were Greeks because they were educated in Byzantium.

That Kieven Rus was the first Russian country, it wasn't, it was Ukrainian if anything.

That Bulgars were nomads in spite of the fact that they created over 4 known empires/kingdoms/khanates.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 10:08

True. Kiev is capital of Ukraine and not Russia.

The word "white" in itself is stupid. Northern Europeans have skin colours that are no lighter than that of Asians, and sometimes even a lot darker/redder, especially in recent times with that moronic tan rage.

Edited by Evildoer
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 11:10
Yeah, I agree with you Evildoer.

The use of the word 'white' was to prove white supremacy to other nations, as in white is good, black is chaotic, or some other nonsense like that.

Now maybe it is just me, but I don't think it is ever good to generalize like that, especially since people might be insulted by being called yellow, black, even white.
-William Shakespeare
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:31

Originally posted by Berosus

The ancient Egyptians had the right attitude on race.  They didn't care much about what you looked like; if you accepted the culture of the Nile valley you were good enough for them.  The Turkish members of this forum can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't modern Turkey the same way, inasmuch as it is also a multi-racial society?  A lot of countries could learn from these examples.

Very good observation.it is the result of the Ottoman nation system..

For example,when the Seferad Jews(the jews of spain) was either forced to be a christian or leave Iber peninsula,it was the Ottoman Empire where became a home for those jews in 1400s.they were placed in Istanbul and Selanik(thessaloniki)..Today The seferad jews have  still been living in Turkey for centuries..

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:39

Originally posted by Kubrat

[

What defines you in Turkey is your religion mostly, I would say.  It's been like that since the Ottoman Empire.  I say this because I know that some Bulgarians who converted to Islam ended up in far better situations than those who stayed Christian (the majority).

Your statement is partly true,i would say..because that system remained in the ottoman periods...there was,for sure,a difference statue between muslim and non-muslim communities..the jews and the christian were in the same way in that case..

let me give an example on the Ottoman nation system.

For example,the Armenians were 3-nations...The Cotholics,Orthodox, and those who are Protestants..each was consituting a different nation in the ottoman system..

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:47
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Originally posted by Berosus

Very good observation.it is the result of the Ottoman nation system..

For example,when the Seferad Jews(the jews of spain) was either forced to be a christian or leave Iber peninsula,it was the Ottoman Empire where became a home for those jews in 1400s.they were placed in Istanbul and Selanik(thessaloniki)..Today The seferad jews have  still been living in Turkey for centuries..

Jews are not a"race", they are a "nation", and not even that, a religious group as there are the Falashas, the North African Jews, and the Karaites, Turkic Jews. The Africans in the Ottoman Empire were more often than not slaves, serving as eunuchs most of the time. There are a few descendants of Africans who lived during the Ottoman Empire in modern Turkey but I wouldn't call Turkey a "multi-racial" society, as it is not. Multi-ethnic, yes. Multi-racial, not really. A few examples doesn't change the whole picture, the inhabitants of Turkey are more than 99% Caucasoid. Just remember how the people were reacting when the first wave of African immigrants came from countries such as Nigeria in the 1990s. A girl from my previous school was dating an exchange Nigerian student who happened to be the brother of a footballer playing in Turkey at the time and her whole family had gone amuck. It's still pretty much taboo for many people.

As for the "nation" system in the Ottoman Empire, it was based on religion, so again, non-Muslim inhabitants in the Empire were subject to extra taxes and to certain limitations.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:58

Originally posted by Colchis

Jews are not a"race", they are a "nation", and not even that, a religious group as there are the Falashas, the North African Jews, and the Karaites, Turkic Jews. The Africans in the Ottoman Empire were more often than not slaves, serving as eunuchs most of the time. There are a few descendants of Africans who lived during the Ottoman Empire in modern Turkey but I wouldn't call Turkey a "multi-racial" society, as it is not. Multi-ethnic, yes. Multi-racial, not really. A few examples doesn't change the whole picture, the inhabitants of Turkey are more than 99% Caucasoid. Just remember how the people were reacting when the first wave of African immigrants came from countries such as Nigeria in the 1990s. A girl from my previous school was dating an exchange Nigerian student who happened to be the brother of a footballer playing in Turkey at the time and her whole family had gone amuck. It's still pretty much taboo for many people.

As for the "nation" system in the Ottoman Empire, it was based on religion, so again, non-Muslim inhabitants in the Empire were subject to extra taxes and to certain limitations.

i know the term jewish is not refering by nature....but just look at how they were considered for centuries..and we cant imagine the 1400s with today2s mentality.

And no i cant remember..because i was 6 years when awave of african immigrants  came.what i remember we were wishing to see more and more African footballers playing for our football team...

As you said,a few example doesnt change the subject..so your friend's family can not draw s whole picture you named taboo.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:11

As you said,a few example doesnt change the subject..so your friend's family can not draw s whole picture you named taboo.

I am not talking about "just one friend's family". Are you telling me that the majority of the families in Turkey would be okay with their sons and/or daughters marrying "blacks"? It is still pretty much a social taboo. Heck, Sunnis marrying Alevis is still a big problem, as well as Muslims marrying non-Muslims. Do you really expect me to believe that Turkey has become this uber-liberal paradise in the last, what, three years?

African footballers playing in Turkish teams is one thing, Turkish people accepting them as equal citizens is another. Have you missed the whole hype about Elvan Abeylegesse, the Ethiopian born Turkish national athlete? Not to mention the reaction of some people towards her being "black" (to quote: "how can a black girl be Turkish!") she was even blamed by some to have aided her "actual" country, Ethiopia, in the race, by "letting the Ethiopian athlete pass by".

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:18

You can not make everything depend on marriage issues..,Colchis..

if you do,europe would be the racist place on the earth..Marriage is a very different dimension.. its social psychology ...

Pls just look at my signature,and ask yourself that why even the second meeting of different worlds being organized in Turkiye for once again.Think once.Think again.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:29

You can not make everything depend on marriage issues..,Colchis..

if you do,europe would be the racist place on the earth..Marriage is a very different dimension.. its social psychology ...

Racism is a social phenomenon, Diplomat. If it isn't observed in social context, where else would it be observed? Have you not read the part where Elvan Abeylegesse is mentioned, am I talking about a marriage in that one? I am talking about an African athlete representing Turkey and some people's reactions to it. Now, that also is social psychology, of course but human is the social animal,  you cannot observe people and nations without social theory.

Pls just look at my signature,and ask yourself that why even the second meeting of different worlds being organized in Turkiye for once again.Think once.Think again.

Because geographically it's right in the middle? Not exactly a million dollar question is it? Of course if I were debating with your style I could ask you why the first meeting wasn't held in Turkey.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 16:39

In the UK, north and south europe offers no real distinction on 'whiteness', and Turkish people are, admistrativly speaking, considered white (they look like Greeks after all, who are also white).

Nice info but it's too late. I needed to fill an application form for a British institution recently, and it asked my ethnicity. The categories were white (european), and asian (bangladeshi, indian, chinese) and such. I hadn't known what to do, since in Turkey and Germany, my ethnicity is simply Turkish, and they don't ask if you are European or Asian. In the end I chose 'other' and wrote 'I am Turkish, I don't know if it counts as European or Asian' next to it.

As to racism in Turkish society, Colchis is of course correct.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 19:12
Nice info but it's too late. I needed to fill an application form for a British institution recently, and it asked my ethnicity. The categories were white (european), and asian (bangladeshi, indian, chinese) and such. I hadn't known what to do, since in Turkey and Germany, my ethnicity is simply Turkish, and they don't ask if you are European or Asian. In the end I chose 'other' and wrote 'I am Turkish, I don't know if it counts as European or Asian' next to it.

, just put white down when your not sure, it's bound to have more advantages .
-William Shakespeare
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 20:34
For example,when the Seferad Jews(the jews of spain) was either forced to be a christian or leave Iber peninsula,it was the Ottoman Empire where became a home for those jews in 1400s.they were placed in Istanbul and Selanik(thessaloniki)..Today The seferad jews have  still been living in Turkey for centuries.

Don't forget the 35,000 who moved to the Netherlands
Arrrgh!!"
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 21:08

Originally posted by Kubrat

, just put white down when your not sure, it's bound to have more advantages .

not really, if you have something like affirmitive action going on. (which will not be debated here, if anyone wants to talk about that start a new thread)

All American slaves were caught by white slavers. (No, manywere sold by Africans, who owned them, to new owners)

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 21:29
No affirmative action in the UK.
They do have means tested (linked to family income) stuff for university fees though, makes more sense in a way.
But for filling in forms in the UK, it doesn't really matter what you tick, its just statistical habit, eye candy for number punchers.
Arrrgh!!"
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 06:33

Colchis is partly right on the issue but I never heard anyone complaining about Abeylegesse (anyone I talked to liked her)

Other historical inaccurasies I hate are these:

1) The Turks founded a state in Mongolia in the 6th century, disappeared, re-appeared in the Middle East to serve the caliphs and later founded Turkey. The only Turkic states were the Seljuks, Ottomans and the Republic of Turkey.

2) Modern Macedonians were the same with the Ancient Macedon people.

3) Modern Bulgarians were the same with the Bulgars. Huns were Bulgars, Bulgars were Huns.

4) All the Turkic states and empires in history were founded by the Turks of Turkey (yeah, everyone in Turkey has this mentality)

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>